PDA

View Full Version : Well since I am CLEARLY alone in my reasoning

Cakeisgood
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I don't understand this whole "OMG Stick up for your fave FOREVER even though they are doing badly" concept. Is it not okay to be an intelligent fan that realizes that changes need to be made after bad losses? Case in point, one of my two favorites, Venus, just lost a first round match in Memphis (in case you didn't know ;)). Yet, when people like myself make criticisms (mine are mainly constructive, I can't speak for the whole WTAworld population), I get flamed and get "YOU ARE NOT A WILLIAMS FAN!!!!!!!" posts left and right.

I mean please. It's tennis. People lose and people win. There is no need to question a person's character over their reactions to their favorite's win/loss. These players are still making buckets of money, and honestly, none of them know of our existence, so chill. And finally, if someone makes a statement you don't agree with, relax, it probably wasn't personal.

AcesHigh
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I agree. It's stupid

V-MAC
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Like I said in the rep I sent you, you are speaking sense :)

Serve_volley
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM
THANK YOU! Jeez, somebody has the right idea. Tennis is tennis, bottom line. Venus didn't play her best that's obvious, if she had she would have won. Play your game better than the opponent plays theirs. :rolleyes:

That doesn't mean we hate Venus, that's ridiculous! She's awesome, she just needs to prove that every time (at least in the early rounds) she steps on the court.

Cakeisgood
aw thanks. I doubt I'll be getting many of those tonight haha.

Uranium
well, i have no problem with criticisms, i have the problem with her fans saying her career is over and to retire, you didn't do that nor did you have me tell you you aren't a true fan.:shrug:

Cakeisgood
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
well, i have no problem with criticisms, i have the problem with her fans saying her career is over and to retire, you didn't do that nor did you have me tell you you aren't a true fan.:shrug:

I didn't point you out Uranium specifically, although I will admit that you were lingering in my head, but it's ridiculous on both ends of the spectrum. Fans shouldn't abandon their favorites and fans also shouldn't attack other fans (who, in case you forgot, are mostly on your side anyways) who are just more "liberal" per say

vw.
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Nice post.
I agree with your point, as well as Uranium's though. Constructive criticism is a good thing as a fan, but not to a point where you're suddenly spazzing about how Venus should be retiring.
Like, its not as if its completely bad if they said that as they are entitled to their opinion, but it's just annoying when these people hop back onto the bandwagon when she wins Bangalore next week. (Let's hope :kiss:)

Uranium
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I didn't point you out Uranium specifically, although I will admit that you were lingering in my head, but it's ridiculous on both ends of the spectrum. Fans shouldn't abandon their favorites and fans also shouldn't attack other fans (who, in case you forgot, are mostly on your side anyways) who are just more "liberal" per say

i agree, but to say you're a fan and to then say her career is over, you're not a fan inmy eyes, you ride the winner's train, but when they lose you immediately get off. i have no problem saying she played bad, but to say for her to retire is extreme and stupid.

AcesHigh
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM
i agree, but to say you're a fan and to then say her career is over, you're not a fan inmy eyes, you ride the winner's train, but when they lose you immediately get off. i have no problem saying she played bad, but to say for her to retire is extreme and stupid.

Who said her career is over?

Uranium
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Who said her career is over?

Ludwig(not really, but kinda) and BigBabetennis and others

Volcana
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Yet, when people like myself make criticisms (mine are mainly constructive, I can't speak for the whole WTAworld population), I get flamed and get "YOU ARE NOT A WILLIAMS FAN!!!!!!!" posts left and right.I've gotten used to it. You will too.

AcesHigh
Ludwig is just joking. Any real Venus fan is concerned, but we all know that Venus can turn it around next week. Her unpredictability is the only thing we can expect these days. I still think she will win a slam in 2008.

Cakeisgood
Oh the joys of tennis extremists. Theyr'e like the Al Quada.

vw.
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:53 AM
BigBabetennis

Okay, just ignore this moron completely, (s)he is a complete idiot, I've seen his/her posts at other boards too, everytime Venus loses he goes mad, everytime Venus wins (s)he is jumpin for joy, its quite amusing actually. :lol:

miffedmax
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:54 AM
And I'm clearly alone in my reasoning that like 3/4 or more of these Venus threads belong in her forum, not GM.

Honestly, all fanbases I'm active in have conniptions when they're favorite loses. We just don't do it all in GM. Or do less of it in GM than Williams fans.

I'm not really complaining, mind you. I can read a header as well as anyone and decide whether or not I want to participate in a discussion. I'm just saying this stuff happens all the time with other players. Lord, you should have seen some of the squabbling and ranting going on among us ED fans last year. Or after she got throttled by TOB at the AO (before we knew TOB was going to abuse Justine just as bad).

It's okay to be a critical fan, or a blindly loyal fan. Just wait til someone starts pissing in the tent and you'll all come together.

Uranium
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Ludwig is just joking. Any real Venus fan is concerned, but we all know that Venus can turn it around next week. Her unpredictability is the only thing we can expect these days. I still think she will win a slam in 2008.

great post, i agree, but it bothers me a lot for her fans to say stupid things, when she has had a great career and to bad mouth her because she's struggling to win is annoying. that's just my opinion though

venus_rulez
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:55 AM
All I have to say is if you don't trust that venus knows what she's doing after all the time she's spent on the court, then you never will. All this she needs to change this or do this, she's won every title, grand slam, and dollar she's earned with that same forehand and serve. She's not changing anytime soon, and that was clear in 1998 Get over it!

Renalicious
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:56 AM
THANK YOU.

Saying she 'needs a break' is not indicating we dont like Venus anymore. Saying she needs to work on her game is not a bad thing. Even Uranium said the loss was disgusting.

VishaalMaria
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Some people just need to get a life. I see so many fans who have recently joined the board and they already have so many posts I just don't think its healthy that they are getting overly-attached to a tennis board. Evidently, some of these fans are Venus Williams fans, and so when Venus loses they get OTT and thats where the drama starts. Some people get over emotional as if their world has come crashing down. Sure be upset when she loses, but look at the bigger picture also.....it's not your life....its not you that has lost...I'm sure you can walk away being happy about current affairs in your life. Tomorrow is just another day for all of us including Venus.

Cakeisgood
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:01 AM
And I'm clearly alone in my reasoning that like 3/4 or more of these Venus threads belong in her forum, not GM.

Honestly, all fanbases I'm active in have conniptions when they're favorite loses. We just don't do it all in GM. Or do less of it in GM than Williams fans.

I'm not really complaining, mind you. I can read a header as well as anyone and decide whether or not I want to participate in a discussion. I'm just saying this stuff happens all the time with other players. Lord, you should have seen some of the squabbling and ranting going on among us ED fans last year. Or after she got throttled by TOB at the AO (before we knew TOB was going to abuse Justine just as bad).

It's okay to be a critical fan, or a blindly loyal fan. Just wait til someone starts pissing in the tent and you'll all come together.

:worship: I enjoyed this post quite a lot.

Serve_volley
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Yay for warm and happy discussion topics! Let's all wish her luck in Bangalore, and Serena too. Williams final please! ^_^

Uranium
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:02 AM
THANK YOU.

Saying she 'needs a break' is not indicating we dont like Venus anymore. Saying she needs to work on her game is not a bad thing. Even Uranium said the loss was disgusting.

because she should have won that match, so many leads, but i'm over this loss. i'm looking forward to Bangalore. But some, like i've said, are acting stupid and say stupid, pointless things, but i still said after that was disgusting that i still love her because win or lose i will support her.

kittyking
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM
The only people I have a problem with is those who root on someone to loose.

Root for your favourite player, don't root for your favourite player's opponent to loose - if you do that your a coward and you should go rot in a gutter.

Am I the only one who remembers Monica getting stabbed :tears:

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I agree with the thread poster. Constructive criticism is necessary. Wanting your fave to win is normal. But people go overboard. And people get rude. And people forget that the player is a human being, one with emotions, thoughts, bad days, good days, trouble outside tennis, and not a robot. And that's what people have been complaining about tonight especially.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Uranium :haha: :haha: Cleo23?

Pheobo
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Some people are sheep, on tennis message boards and in real life.

lolas
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
this board is so fast moving. Venus had two bad losses over the last two weeks. Still she is the current Wimbledon champ. So I don't get why some make a big fuss of her losing a match in a tier3. Same for Henin who is said to be on her decline because she lost to Maria.

mankind
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM
No one can force anyone else into supporting a player for life. If there are people now who once supported Venus but now just don't give a shit because she's not winning, they obviously just weren't into her that much. Classic example #1: Even though Andy Roddick is the worst tennis player of all time and can't play for shit, I still support him as a fan and cheer when he wins. I began supporting him when he was actually good in 2002-2003, and although the man has done everything in his power to make me one of those bandwagon fans, I'm still supporting him even though he sucks really bad. So the people who say GO VENUS when she wins Wimbledon obviously are one of those tossers who pay money (:tape:) to have gold bars under their names and put pictures in their signatures of Venus just to make it pretty, and power to them, Lord knows the world needs idiots with money.

new-york
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
The only people I have a problem with is those who root on someone to loose.

:D.

Talula
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I used to get so frustrated when Monica refused to lose weight after her comeback. I also used to get frustrated when she lost matches she should have won because of her fitness issues. And I used to say it though some Monica 'fans' believed that any criticism meant you weren't a fan. It's ridiculous. Venus Williams should not be losing first round matches in Tier III tournaments. That does not make me anti-Venus.