PDA

View Full Version : OG/08 race to Beijing - RUS, USA, FRA & ITA checkpoint after 2/3 of Olympic race

Cp6uja
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
In Beijing 2008 will play 56 best ranked players (+8WC) after Roland Garros 2008 with maximum 4 players from same country limit. That means all tournaments after RG/07 will be count for players rating that day. If we look at current WTA list only 4 country (Russia, USA, France and Italy) have atleast 5 players in TOP70 right now, so that means only in this 4 case "Maximum 4 per country" rule is important. Here is my calculations of current "national" standings for all of this 4 countries. I count only points from tournaments after RG/07 and not count 1pts loses in 1st rounds (except in Wim/07, USO/07 and AO/08 mandatory cases) so you have clear status how many empty space this players have in theys "best 17" record:

RUSSIA
Maria Sharapova (RUS) 2945 (9)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 2230 (11)
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) 2130 (11)
Elena Dementieva (RUS) 1480 (11)
Nadia*Petrova*(RUS) 980 (8)
Vera*Zvonareva*(RUS) 917 (10)
Dinara*Safina*(RUS) 862 (12)
Maria*Kirilenko*(RUS) 795 (10)

USA
Venus Williams (USA) 2040 (7)
Serena Williams (USA) 1160 (6)
Lindsay Davenport (USA) 605 (5)
Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) 327 (8)
Ashley*Harkleroad*(USA) 324 (13)
Julie*Ditty*(USA) 298 (15)
Laura*Granville*(USA) 272 (6)
Lilia*Osterloh*(USA) 269 (15)
Meilen*Tu*(USA) 245 (9)
Jill*Craybas*(USA) 244 (10)

FRANCE
Marion Bartoli (FRA) 2002 (15)
Tatiana Golovin (FRA) 1147 (11)
Virginie Razzano (FRA) 944 (15)
Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) 655 (7)
Pauline*Parmentier*(FRA) 461 (10)
Alize*Cornet*(FRA) 421 (9)
Aravane*Rezai*(FRA) 419 (8)
Camille*Pin*(FRA) 326 (13)
Nathalie*Dechy*(FRA) 271 (13)
Emilie*Loit*(FRA) 261 (10)

ITALY
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 870 (13)
Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 842 (16)
Karin Knapp (ITA) 578 (15)
Sara Errani (ITA) 315 (10)
Maria*Elena*Camerin*(ITA) 217 (7)
Tathiana*Garbin*(ITA) 212 (6)
Mara*Santangelo*(ITA) 212 (5)

FORZA SARITA
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Great thread :yeah:
I think for Italian players the situation will not change for May :bounce:

serenus_2k8
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Vee and Ree should both be safe then :bounce:

Feb 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I guess that means Sharapova should be safe for qualification

jonny84
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Remember there is the Fed Cup rule.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bartoli hasnt played, so she cant play Olympics?

lympyisthebest
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Will there be Qualies at the Olympics?

ptkten
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Ashley Harkleroad should be on there somewhere. I believe she has more than 300 points since RG 07.

Cp6uja
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Remember there is the Fed Cup rule.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bartoli hasnt played, so she cant play Olympics?She dont need to play any match for France if she atleast twice make herself "available". I know after last Wimbeldon final her FED CUP status is "injuried, but available"... so i perhaps she do it that one more time.
Ashley Harkleroad should be on there somewhere. I believe she has more than 300 points since RG 07.Thanks for alert. I probably delete her when bolded current US TOP4. Ashley current "Olympic" case is maybe most interesting here b/c she is right now on edge at both rankings - WTA official (64 womans will play in Beijing) and USA national (maximum 4 will play).

sammy01
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:08 PM
i realy hope anna chaketadze makes it, 1. it will be a great experience for her and 2. she has put together some amazing results in the last 2 years and claimed 8 titles (including fed cup) in the last 16 months.

Dave.
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Good thread. :)

I have 2 questions though:

1. Who decides the 8 wildcards? Are they given to countries with no players in the top 56 (e.g. Cara Black for Zimbabwe)?

2. Is this thread just about singles? Surely Mara Santangelo, having won the French Open last year, should be able to play doubles in Beijing?

Cp6uja
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
i realy hope anna chaketadze makes it, 1. it will be a great experience for her and 2. she has put together some amazing results in the last 2 years and claimed 8 titles (including fed cup) in the last 16 months.Only about 100 days before Olympic Ranks deadline she have 650 points more than Dementieva and 1150 pts more than Petrova...etc... so its hard to belive right now that except Maria and Sveta any other Russian player will overtake her before june - especialy i dont see TWO other Russians to overtake her in same time. If she stay healthy, she will play in Beijing for sure.

Good thread. :)

I have 2 questions though:

1. Who decides the 8 wildcards? Are they given to countries with no players in the top 56 (e.g. Cara Black for Zimbabwe)?

2. Is this thread just about singles? Surely Mara Santangelo, having won the French Open last year, should be able to play doubles in Beijing?56 best ranked means actualy TOP70 without about 15 girls which will withdraw (injury, "max4 from each country rule", players which dont want to play like Srebotnik for example... etc...), and also some of them maybe will be with "protected" not with real TOP56 ranking. For this 8WC's ranking will be also very important but not mandatory. For example currently is only Na Li TOP56 player from China, but i'm sure that in MD at end will be 4 players from China no mater how many of them qualify by her own ranking. Also players which representing countries without any other tennis represent (especialy from countries with short Olympic list) like for example Estonian Kanepi, Uzbekistanian Amanmuradova, Kremer from Luxembourg, Sequera from Venezuela, Tanasugarn from Thailand, Castano from Columbia...etc... chances is always better to reach WC. I think officialy ITF make deccission who will get WCs, but theys is always open from suggestions from WTA, IOC or OG organizers (China in this case). And yes, this thread is all about singles. All countries have right on two new extra players in doubles. For example if in singles Russia will be represent by Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze and Dementieva, and in doubles Kuznetsova/Petrova and Dementieva/Vesnina - that mean Russia use that right for two extra players for doubles (Petrova and Vesnina in this case).

In The Zone
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM
The home nation is allowed 4 players in the Main Draw, I read somewhere. China will take 3 of those WCs almost automatically. Peng and Yan could be within this rank deadline, though.

In The Zone
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Here is to Julie getting that 4th spot! :D!!

But I think Ash will get it but come on Julie. :kiss:

In The Zone
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
The Fed Cup is merely "making yourself available for selection". Not necessarily playing.

I really like this thread, Cp6uja. Finally something useful! :yeah:

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM
56 best ranked means actualy TOP70 without about 15 girls which will withdraw (injury, "max4 from each country rule", players which dont want to play like Srebotnik for example... etc...), and also some of them maybe will be with "protected" not with real TOP56 ranking. For this 8WC's ranking will be also very important but not mandatory. For example currently is only Na Li TOP56 player from China, but i'm sure that in MD at end will be 4 players from China no mater how many of them qualify by her own ranking. Also players which representing countries without any other tennis represent (especialy from countries with short Olympic list) like for example Estonian Kanepi, Uzbekistanian Amanmuradova, Kremer from Luxembourg, Sequera from Venezuela, Tanasugarn from Thailand, Castano from Columbia...etc... chances is always better to reach WC. I think officialy ITF make deccission who will get WCs, but theys is always open from suggestions from WTA, IOC or OG organizers (China in this case). And yes, this thread is all about singles.

That means there will be a lot of ballast in the draw. First 2 rounds out of 6 should be a cake for top players

The Daviator
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Venus, Serena and Lindsay will be in Beijing :dance:

Very close for the 4th spot though!

Cp6uja
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Venus, Serena and Lindsay will be in Beijing :dance:

Very close for the 4th spot though!But dont forget that in USA and Italian case exist posibility that less than 4 girls at end qualify by rank! This "national" standings is important only in cases when some country have MORE than 4 players with enough good ranking to play at Beijing this summer.

mckyle.
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:56 AM
A question:

Are countries only allowed 4 total players? Do they have to use the same 4 for singles and doubles? Lisa Raymond has to fit in somewhere.

Cp6uja
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:16 AM
A question:

Are countries only allowed 4 total players? Do they have to use the same 4 for singles and doubles? Lisa Raymond has to fit in somewhere.Countries have right on two extra players in doubles. In USA case i think that will be Raymond and Huber (if they want to play together - other doubles will be Venus/Serena).