PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Most Likely To Break The Top 8 By The End Of The Season?

MalJackson
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I have compiled a list of players who i believe have every chance of doing it if they focus on their abilities.

I wouldnt mind a few different players in the end of year championships, i hope that players like bartoli, schynder, petrova and hanthucova dont make it this year, not because i dont like them but their styles are no match for the true heavyweights anymore.

Players like tati, radwanska and Agnes have more exciting tennis styles that really could trouble the likes of henin, kuzzie, pova and william sisters.

I vote for Tati, she is a player that can trouble and beat the best.

I didnt include vaidisova because i think she will actually crack the top 8 this year, no questions for her.

I want people not to take form that seriously into account here, i kind of want you to predict based on your belief in each player on really can do it.

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Radwanska

shap_half
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Ugh the way Agnes is playing right now, she's not going anywhere but down. I hope she picks it up, and soon!

I hope Vera. But she tends to wilt in bigger moments, like when she actually made the YEC.

sammy01
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM
i dont think any of them will this year, maybe radwanska but it will be more likely next year. i think the top 10 is pretty secure right now, bartoli is looking like she will leave after wimbledon, but i think lena d has that spot sewn up. i suppose serenas spot is in doubt but i'd imagine she will pick up some big points somewhere in the year.

Sharakim
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
The season is still early so anything can happen, but from your list I think Radwanska has a shot if she can win a couple Tier 2/3 tournys. Szavay is inconsistent so I'm not counting anything higher than a top 15 for her. Honestly, the only players I think have a real chance at Top 8 are Daniela H and Nicole V (mainly because they're so close already).

Oh yes, and Serena Williams could and should more back into the top 8 (provided she plays).

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Radwanska, Szavay, Golovin and Zvonereva are all in with a chance. I do think at least one and possibly two of these four could make it. Of the four Aga is the most likely. Staying healthy for the rest of the year will be crucial. None of those players has a chance if their season is even mildly interupted by injuries. Staying fit will be a challenge particularly for Golovin and Zvonereva.

Slutati
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Well, I have to vote for Tati:DBut also I think Radwanksa, Szavay can do it.Azarenka next year.

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Too hard to predict. You will get different results each time of the year depending on who is in form. If Peer suddenly has a very good clay court season people would vote for her and then for all we know she could have a sucky american hard court season and won't get even one vote.

hkyen
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
RADWANSKA have the great consistency

Elwin.
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Where is Krajicek :weirdo: :rolleyes:

:lol:

GOLOVIN!

Topspin2
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Vera!!!

ninanina19
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Caroline Wozniacki.

shirley
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Agnieszka Radwanska

Tennisstar86
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Of the people in your list.... None.. (Maybe li NA)

of the people not currently in the top 8... Serena...

Serena-rules-no1
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Radwanska and Na Li

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Neither of them (some options are just laughable) but Radwanska has the best outside chance.

JonBcn
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM
All you really need is to win the odd Tier II, and capitalise on a few upsets to make a Slam semi final (ask Hantuchova), so any of them could realistically do it, but of that list I'd say Radwanska is most likely.

JAMESYBABY!
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:12 PM
na li i think,, less off days and she will deffo:D

Dave.
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
From these players, I only think Szavay and perhaps Radwanska. Alot of the others have no chance and some of them have quite boring styles (Golovin, Peer) compared to those in the top 10 that you predicted would leave. Bartoli's game is much more exciting and unique, and I think she is a better player.

LDF
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I don't think any of them will crack the top 8, but I'd give Radwanska the best chance.

Slutiana
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
She's good, very good but I don't see Radwanska breaking even the top 10 this season.

I think it's a bit obvious who I voted for. Its also the logical vote considering she's the closest to it. :angel:

aguy9797
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Vera, Tatiana and Aga would be my pick

Mightymirza
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Sania shouldnt be on the list :o Let the poor girl reach top 25 first :lol:

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM
From these players, I only think Szavay and perhaps Radwanska. Alot of the others have no chance and some of them have quite boring styles (Golovin, Peer) compared to those in the top 10 that you predicted would leave. Bartoli's game is much more exciting and unique, and I think she is a better player.

:haha: :haha: Both Golovin and Peer don't bash the ball for no reason like Bartoli and I am not even a Goloin's fan but her game style is way better than Bartoli IMHO.

Dave.
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
:haha: :haha: Both Golovin and Peer don't bash the ball for no reason like Bartoli and I am not even a Goloin's fan but her game style is way better than Bartoli IMHO.

Well maybe not Peer so much. But Marion has a great game style (not boring and ineffective as the OP stated) and certainly doesn't 'bash the ball for no reason' as you put it, she's way too physically small for that.

jonny84
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think Radwanska. She is having a good year - one title, Doha SF, Melbourne QF amongst others.

OsloErik
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I can picture Radwanska, Szavay, Golovin, Peer, and MAYBE Zvonereva and Li making the top 15 for year end (taking the spots of Schnyder, Safina, Golovin [duh], and MAYBE Bartoli and Dementieva in the top 15).

Of those, I'm not yet convinced that any can make the top 8 this year, but I'd look out for Radwanska towards the end of this season and Szavay towards the start of next season.

Even though Szavay is playing poorly right now, it's worth noting that about 1000 of her 1400 points have been won in the past 7 months. She's pretty much a lock for top 20 until Palermo, and I have a (fair) degree of confidence that she can pull it together. So long as she manages to defend all of her points for this year, it'll give her a pretty nice base for next Spring, at which point she will have settled onto the tour much better. I just hope she doesn't get frustrated with the wait, but one of the things that speaks well of her is how mature she seemed last Summer, talking very openly about how mono made her grow up faster than she otherwise would have. I think she's got the right head on her shoulders to last.

Radwanska seems to have caught a little lightning in a bottle, which is especially good since she (like Szavay, I may point out) prefers clay. It'll be interesting to see how this younger set does; Szavay and Radwanska both made their junior names on clay.

I think Azarenka will probably move into the top 20 around clay season; she's the kind of girl who would probably thrive with a couple moments to set up her shots. Let's see...Peer is still ranked pretty high, and she had a fairly disappointing clay season last year. I can imagine her making an impact in a couple Tier I's on clay, and maybe the 4th round or further at the French. Ditto for Golovin. If Golovin can stay healthy for the full clay-grass combo season, she has the opportunity to vault up the rankings. Same goes for Zvonereva, who in 2003 looked like the best young Russian (read: younger than Myskina, Dementieva, and Petrova) on clay. If she stays healthy, she can hurt some big players.

Li will have to stay healthy, and I'm not sure she was trained to do that. I can also picture her retiring from the sport after the Olympics. She just doesn't seem to really like tennis. She's good, but sometimes she seems indifferent, which is odd.

ViennaCalling
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Where are Krajicek and Paszek? Although they won´t break the Top 8 they will for sure have more success than a Golovin or a Kirilenko :help:

@Poll: I would say Vera, Aga, Na (although they won´t break Top 8)

Rik.
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Aga Radwanska

Altough I hope it will be Lucie :D

Bruno71
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Aga has the consistency and the fight to do so, though it'll still be an uphill battle. Vera really could do it too if she could remain uninjured...which at this point seems less likely than not given her track record. Marion could make it but at the rate it's going, she'll need some luck, and it'll obviously have to be before Wimbledon...unless she can come up with another miracle run.

ret
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Radwanska, she's a fighter and uses her brain while playing

Jachal
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Top 8 will be a difficult task for either of them. Most certainly by the end of the season we will have Henin, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Venus & Serena Williams, Vaidisova, Chakvetadze and Dementieva in the top 10. They will be the ones to battle out the Masters Cup spots.

Still, if I should pick one of the outsiders to make it to the season-ending Championships I would go with Radwanska. Her results up until now have been outstanding and it only makes you wonder what she's gonna be like on clay and grass (which she pics as her favourite surfaces)

Li, Zvonareva & Golovin have got the game to make it to the top 10, but there's always a question mark over their health.
Peer's kinda stuck - her game isn't improving anymore - she's solid, but that is just not enough anymore.
Azarenka's game isn't mature enough yet.
Szavay is struggling to find consistency.
Mirza is too one-dimentional, Kirilenko too weak mentaly and Safarova too inconsistent.

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Top 8 will be a difficult task for either of them. Most certainly by the end of the season we will have Henin, Sharapova, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Venus & Serena Williams, Vaidisova, Chakvetadze and Dementieva in the top 10. They will be the ones to battle out the Masters Cup spots.

Still, if I should pick one of the outsiders to make it to the season-ending Championships I would go with Radwanska. Her results up until now have been outstanding and it only makes you wonder what she's gonna be like on clay and grass (which she pics as her favourite surfaces)

Li, Zvonareva & Golovin have got the game to make it to the top 10, but there's always a question mark over their health.
Peer's kinda stuck - her game isn't improving anymore - she's solid, but that is just not enough anymore.
Azarenka's game isn't mature enough yet.
Szavay is struggling to find consistency.
Mirza is too one-dimentional, Kirilenko too weak mentaly and Safarova too inconsistent.

I don't agree with this so much. I think she got the game but just stoped playing good she degraded dramstecly since the start of last year where she really bloomed.

CR3WLFC
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:48 PM
What about Mauresmo if she is fit and confident she will surely get back in the top 10
others i dont think radwanska the only things she does is hit the ball back and wait for the error she should attack more, she wont beat the topplayers playing so save expect they have a really bad day

i think golovin and mauresmo !

spriwi
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
neither of them will break into top8. the most likely are vera (provided she is healthy) or radwanska (if she keeps playing as she did so far this season)

LUXXXAS
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Aga but only with better serve :help:

OsloErik
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I don't agree with this so much. I think she got the game but just stoped playing good she degraded dramstecly since the start of last year where she really bloomed.

I totally agree. Peer needs to get a measure of health and consistency back into her game and she'll hit the top 10 some day. She's never going to be able to outhit many players, but her defense on hardcourt is scary, her backhand can be very dangerous, and she can do some damage on clay if she gets fully healthy for the season. Add to it that she's probably the hardest working player in the top 50, and she's got a good chance of sticking around for a long, long time.

papru
Mar 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Aga Radwanska :worship:

cocco80
Mar 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
I hope Aga
and Tati.

Highlandman
Mar 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know. Azarenka could have the game of it, but 2008 is maybe too early.