PDA

View Full Version : Who will represent Russia to fight in Beijing Olympic Game?

Lin Lin
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:57 PM
What a fierce competition within Russia!!:eek::eek: Only 3 players could be chosen,I really wonder what is the standard for selecting these players, if there is somthing subtly unfair(it seems unavoidable?), the later Fed Cup team will be a little bit embarrassed,right?:eek::eek:

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM
ranking.

with condition that players qualified by playing fed cup

Viktymise
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I thought it was 4 players?

If it is then its pretty obvious who the 4 will be right now.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM
In 2004 it was Nastya, Lena, Sveta, Nadia

Lin Lin
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I believe Sharapova will definitely occupy one, then Kuznetsova also has a good chance, others are quite unknown.

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I think a lot will depend on players form. tarpischev could persuade a higher-ranked player in poor form to make way for someone more up to the challenge

Pushkin
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Maria Sveta Anna Elena

hotandspicey
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
There are 8 players gunning for those spots.

Lin Lin
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM
There are 8 players gunning for those spots.

4 Males and 4 Females:worship:

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Who is going to represent China in doubles by the way?

Lin Lin
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Who is going to represent China in doubles by the way?

Zheng/Yan will be definitely selected, another team is still unknown, probably Peng Shuai and defending champion Tiatian Sun.

Na li will definitely participate in singles, other sigles players are still unknow too.

Sharakim
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I think that it'll be Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, and Dementieva

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
2 pairs really? How big is the draw? for singles event as well?

Ksenia.
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
2 pairs really? How big is the draw? for singles event as well?

Men's Singles 64 Draw
Men's Doubles 32 Draw
Women’s Singles 64 Draw
Women’s Doubles 32 Draw
http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_31105_original.PDF

hkyen
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Single:SHARAPOVA (Gold Medal):worship:,KUZNETSOVA,CHAKVETADZE and DEMENTIEVA

Double:KUZNETSOVA/SAFINA,CHAKVETADZE/DEMENTIEVA

Pushkin
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Petrova and Safina could play doubles. Vesnina-Likhovtseva

Anna-Maria-Sveta-Elena in signles for sure.

How does it works actually ? Is someone playing singles could play doubles as well?

The 3 Russians in Top 6 Wta will sure be in singles though...

gumoll
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
probably Sveta - Maria - Anna and Elena ;)

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks!

All players must

Make him/herself available for selection to represent his/her country in any of the International
Team Championships of the Federation for TWO of the following years – 2005, 2006, 2007 or
2008 - provided that one of those years is either 2007 or 2008. In 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008,
a player who makes him/herself available for selection for one Tie in Davis Cup or Fed Cup will
be deemed to have fulfilled the requirement for that year.

So Sharapova HAD to make herself available in 2007. I guess it is good that she actually was there in Moscow for every one to see that she made herself available heh :)

shap_half
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I hope Vera snatches a spot.

Sean.
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks!

All players must

Make him/herself available for selection to represent his/her country in any of the International
Team Championships of the Federation for TWO of the following years – 2005, 2006, 2007 or
2008 - provided that one of those years is either 2007 or 2008. In 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008,
a player who makes him/herself available for selection for one Tie in Davis Cup or Fed Cup will
be deemed to have fulfilled the requirement for that year.

So Sharapova HAD to make herself available in 2007. I guess it is good that she actually was there in Moscow for every one to see that she made herself available heh :)

Does that mean Sveta can play despite the fact she won't play fed cup this year?

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Tarpischev already confirmed that Kuznetsova, Sharapova and Chakvetadze already secured their spots. It is the 4th spot that is under question.

bellascarlett
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Tarpischev already confirmed that Kuznetsova, Sharapova and Chakvetadze already secured their spots. It is the 4th spot that is under question.

Really? When? Is this official?

Slutati
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Dementieva will be the 4th :rocker:

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Really? When? Is this official?

Well it was in Russian Sport-Express paper. Basically it was said that even if these 3 don't win a single match until June, they will still have enough points to qualify. Also Tarpi mentioned that he is not going to insist on participation in fed cup for girls who has a shot at 4th place, but Safina volunteered for tie in israel anyway.

edit: probably because she will play doubles with Likhovtseva anyway.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Singles: Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, Zvonareva.

Doubles: Kuznetsova/Safina Zvonareva/Likhovtseva

Viktymise
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Zvonereva has an IW SF and another Tier I SF to defend in the coming months wheras Dementieva has one Tier I QF, a Tier I 3rd round, two slam 3rd rounds and a 2nd round at the Tier II and after Dubai she's likely to be about 1000 points ahead of Zvonareva. Seriously, are people realistically thinking Zvonareva is going to get to the Olympics by over-taking Dementieva in the rankings between now and Wimbledon? :tape:

saint2
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Singles: Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, Zvonareva.

You are joking , right? Zvonareva wont pass Dementieva. She nver was better player and never will...

LudwigDvorak
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM
You are joking , right? Zvonareva wont pass Dementieva. She nver was better player and never will...

Chakvetadze will never be a better player than Dementieva in my opinion, but she's a set in stone guarantee for the Olympics anyway.

Relax, Lena fans. Unless Nadia finds form, Elena has the fourth spot good to go.

espresso
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Is there a reserve player - in case Maria gets a cold? :hehehe:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Zvonereva has an IW SF and another Tier I SF to defend in the coming months wheras Dementieva has one Tier I QF, a Tier I 3rd round, two slam 3rd rounds and a 2nd round at the Tier II and after Dubai she's likely to be about 1000 points ahead of Zvonareva. Seriously, are people realistically thinking Zvonareva is going to get to the Olympics by over-taking Dementieva in the rankings between now and Wimbledon? :tape:

She only made the QF of Indian Wells.
And she has nothing to defend after Charleston until the US Open.

Eight tournaments in which she has nothing to defend which include two slams and two Tier Is.

Viktymise
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM
She only made the QF of Indian Wells.
And she has nothing to defend after Charleston until the US Open.

Eight tournaments in which she has nothing to defend which include two slams and two Tier Is.

Dementieva has nothing to defend in either IW or Miami where she is likely to extend the gap between herself and Zvonareva even further. Zvonareva would need something special to overtake Dementieva and Doha doesn't prove she can do that.

saint2
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Even if Vera would have 0 points to defeat , she simply wont pass Elena. To pass her, she must play better than her, make bigger results. And she wont- its obvious like fact that sun will shine tomorrow...

random fan
Is there a reserve player - in case Maria gets a cold? :hehehe:

Maria doesn't get cold before IMPORTANT tournaments :p She participated in the last 21 grand slams :worship:

In The Zone
Dementieva is a Silver-medalist. She will get the 4th spot. She has nearly nothing to defend, similar to Vera. Vesnina will definitely be playing doubles. She is a great doubles player. Vesnina/Likhovtseva and Kuznetsova/Petrova would be two solid doubles teams.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Dementieva has nothing to defend in either IW or Miami where she is likely to extend the gap between herself and Zvonareva even further. Zvonareva would need something special to overtake Dementieva and Doha doesn't prove she can do that.

She just needs to be consistent and if she does, it's hers for the taking.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Even if Vera would have 0 points to defeat , she simply wont pass Elena. To pass her, she must play better than her, make bigger results. And she wont- its obvious like fact that sun will shine tomorrow...

Neither has beaten a top 10 player this year, yet Dementieva has the ability to do that when she was crushed by Sharapova and Zvonareva actually took a set off of her.

saint2
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Neither has beaten a top 10 player this year, yet Dementieva has the ability to do that when she was crushed by Sharapova and Zvonareva actually took a set off of her.

According to Your logic, Voskoboyeva will surely pass Henin. JH was crushed by Sharapova, and GV actually took a set off her. Elena didnt beat top10 player- she simply ad no chance to play against T10, except Sharapova, but easily beats top20 players, like Schnyder or Peer. Players with higher rankings and bigger skills than Vera.

Serge007
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Safina/Likhovtseva?..

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Don´t underrate Zvonareva , she is really talented

I think that Bepa needs to play at her best level (or even better) , that is 2004 level when she was 9 of the world in order to make the Olympic team . I say this cos it's probably the place (around 9-11) where Elena will be after Wimbledon

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Vera has to make her run now, in India, then IW, Miami and green clay.
She's capable of having some good runs. She just did that in Doha.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Zvonareva has seven top ten wins in her career. Dementieva had more top ten wins in 2003 alone. :shrug: And both wins Sharapova has over Zvonareva and Dementieva were demolition jobs, that second set in the Doha final be damned.

Zvonareva has all the talent to be top ten, but I don't know how she's going to make it there again. She's been injured every year since she made the top ten; this is pretty much the route Golovin is taking, except she's achieved not even half as much as Zvonareva. Their bodies keep failing them.

But I digress. For the Olympics, Dementieva should make it. Petrova is going nowhere and Zvonareva has to make up a lot of ground to pass Dementieva, as lenavee mentioned. And of course we're all forgetting Safina, she could have a few magical runs and pass Dementieva much faster than Zvonareva could. Kirilenko could make the French Open final and pass them all. :lol: Who knows.

sunsfuns
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:27 AM
2 months ago I would have said "it will be a big battle", but now it seems obvious - unless someone is injured it will be Maria, Sveta, Anna and Elena. Safina will probably get to play doubles.

Viktymise
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM
She just needs to be consistent and if she does, it's hers for the taking.

No, Dementieva needs to be consistent and its hers for the taking, Zvonareva needs to do something extra special. ;)

bellascarlett
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Well it was in Russian Sport-Express paper. Basically it was said that even if these 3 don't win a single match until June, they will still have enough points to qualify. Also Tarpi mentioned that he is not going to insist on participation in fed cup for girls who has a shot at 4th place, but Safina volunteered for tie in israel anyway.

edit: probably because she will play doubles with Likhovtseva anyway.

Thanks. That's great! I'm excited for Maria. By virtue of her Australian Open win, her inclusion is just unquestionable. She was kept out of 04 Olympics due to ranking (and perhaps Fed Cup?) even if she had won Wimbledon (which I know didn't count then). Now, this is her time. I hope she'll make the most of it.

This 4-player-per-country rule is really unfair to countries with lots of high-ranking players. I think at least top 20 players should get direct entry. I hope Lena gets the fourth spot - it's a great possibility she'll do better than the others already guaranteed spots. She plays her heart out for Russia and is already an Olympic champion. But you have to feel for players like Safina who deserve to get a chance to play singles in Beijing. Oh well...

What surface will the Olympics be played on? Similar to what?

random fan
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Deco Turf II I think

pav
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
According to Your logic, Voskoboyeva will surely pass Henin. JH was crushed by Sharapova, and GV actually took a set off her. Elena didnt beat top10 player- she simply ad no chance to play against T10, except Sharapova, but easily beats top20 players, like Schnyder or Peer. Players with higher rankings and bigger skills than Vera.
Have a look at head to heads ,think you are belittling Vera against Peer-3-0 against Schnyder2-1

saint2
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Have a look at head to heads ,think you are belittling Vera against Peer-3-0 against Schnyder2-1

Against Elena 0-2. Still think its weird to write that Vera will pass Elena. And points they have to defend have nothing to do with it. If they gonna compete for a 4th spot in team, its Vera who needs handicap, not Elena...

pav
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't think she will catch Elena either(like her to though) I think she is capable of beating her on a given day but so far has gone into meltdown which doesn't help a hard job to begin with.