PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the top 20???

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
It's like most of the players in the top 20 are in a slump:
Henin- playes a lot below her normal level, she is losing sets for players almost unheard of and got bageled (though it was to Maria when playing superbly, Henin shouldn't get bagled by anyone).
Kuznetsova- Also playing bad at the moment losing to players she should beat sometimes even easly.
Chaketadze- alone from her Paris title her year has been a disaster :tape:
Venus- didn't do much this year- losing in AO QF in a bad match to Ivanovic and to Dominika at Doha.
Bartoli- Playing very bad, if she will continue like this I don't see her in the top 15 after wimbledon.
Serena- though she played only at the AO she didn't show a lot of her greatness.
And that is only in the top 10. from 11-20 you got Dementieva (though she looked goot yesterday def Schnyder), Schnyder, Petrova, Golovin, Safina (though she looked like she got back on track in Doha), Szavay, Peer and Bammer.
What happened to the top 20? :confused:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I just think our expectations are too high for most of them. Dementieva has had fine results since Wimbledon '07, but they aren't QUITE up to her usual par, so she's in a slump or whatever. Same can be said for just about any player. And since they're all over-played, they struggle with injury and form.

Venus making a third slam quarterfinal in a row is fucking awesome, I think. She hasn't done that in YEARS. Serena's played like five or six slams in a row. Again, long time since that's happened. Henin will win her third title of the year here. Jankovic will probably make the final, but people like to believe her when she says she's injured, so I'm surprised she isn't exceeding expectations by going deep every week she plays.

I can go on and on. I think each of the top twenty players are fine aside from maybe a couple. Bartoli and Szavay look bad this year, although Agnes did make another final...

goldlion
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Well. It's still the beginning of the year.

There are plenty of time for let them prove their ability and their rankings.

But I must point out something:

Players don't have to play their best in every match, just make is alright.

Does Maria need the form she defeated Henin to play her second round in Doha?

Top 20 are actually playing quite well as you can see the fact sheet.

1) Henin won Sydney and Antwerp.

2) Chakvetaze won Paris Indoor.

3) Maria won AO and Doha.

The Tier IIs and above were won by Top 10 !!!

kaghat
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Henin- playes a lot below her normal level, she is losing sets for players almost unheard of and got bageled (though it was to Maria when playing superbly, Henin shouldn't get bagled by anyone).
Kuznetsova- Also playing bad at the moment losing to players she should beat sometimes even easly.
Venus- didn't do much this year- losing in AO QF in a bad match to Ivanovic and to Dominika at Doha.
Bartoli- Playing very bad, if she will continue like this I don't see her in the top 15 after wimbledon.
Serena- though she played only at the AO she didn't show a lot of her greatness.
And that is only in the top 10. from 11-20 you got Dementieva (though she looked goot yesterday def Schnyder), Schnyder, Petrova, Golovin, Safina (though she looked like she got back on track in Doha), Szavay, Peer and Bammer.

Well, let me say thank you for your Thread. I thaught the same thing, but not in your way. I thaught rather that this year new generation of players are showing up. I saw all the matches of Justine in Antwerp. In Doha as well... All the young players are trying something. They believe in their chances because they have nothing to loose. So why not. I see it positive. More competition, more good tennis, less maches with double baggels... I believe more and more in woman tennis. :bounce::worship:

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Well, let me say thank you for your Thread. I thaught the same thing, but not in your way. I thaught rather that this year new generation of players are showing up. I saw all the matches of Justine in Antwerp. In Doha as well... All the young players are trying something. They believe in their chances because they have nothing to loose. So why not. I see it positive. More competition, more good tennis, less machts with double baggels... I believe more and more in woman tennis. :bounce::worship:

Actually I think this is one of the reasons why I think most of the top players at the moment are strageling. There are many 17-18 years old at the moment that did quiet well and it is nice to see that. And thank to that we don't have to hear that the WTA got no depth, this past 2 months should just the opposite.

mandy7
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Daniela's doing fine,
SF Aus Open
QF in Antwerp (would have reached the semi's or final if she didn't get hit by the flu)
So it's all good :).

Would have also won Doha and Dubai if she wasn't sick and didn't have to withdraw :p

Slumpsova
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Nicole isn't in a slump. that means she will finally pass these players and reach the top :)

kaghat
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Daniela's doing fine,
SF Aus Open
QF in Antwerp (would have reached the semi's or final if she didn't get hit by the flu)
So it's all good :).

Would have also won Doha and Dubai if she wasn't sick and didn't have to withdraw :p

Serena would have won OA if she wansn't sick :confused:
Sharapova would have won Dubai if she wansn't sick :confused:
Venus Williams would have won Doha if she wansn't in bad shape :confused:
Justine would have won OA if she wansn't in a bad day in the Quater... :sad:
Please....... :help:

Lunaris
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Either people complain about bad performances of top 20 players or about lack of depth in womens tennis.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM
The top 20 is not a bunch of equals. Justine and Maria are better than Nadia and Golovin.
The big match of the year so far was Justine-Maria.
They'll play again, probably next in Miami or on clay.
We might get them in all 4 majors, like Justine Serena last year.

mandy7
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Serena would have won OA if she wansn't sick :confused:
Sharapova would have won Dubai if she wansn't sick :confused:
Venus Williams would have won Doha if she wansn't in bad shape :confused:
Justine would have won OA if she wansn't in a bad day in the Quater... :sad:
Please....... :help:
Wow, you're kinda stupid :D.
No wonder your rep level is all red.

Try to recognise it when ppl are serious, and when they're not,
when you manage that, who knows, maybe one day, you'll have green dots :yeah:.

mapaliey
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
top 20 is doing very welllllllllll

tennisbear7
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Maria is the only one in the top 20 playing good, solid tennis.

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
:lol: just today Agnes and Petrova lost to lesser players, Bartoli can lose too.

I beliee that from the currunt top 20 the only players that are playing well are Maria, Ana, Jelena, Hantuchova, Nicole and Aga. The others are playing between OK-bad, but as someone said here it is just because my expectations from them are very high.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Apart from Petrova, Bartoli and Schnyder, the others are doing quite nicely.... Chaky, Venus and Sveta will have to step it up though if they dun want to sink even lower like the former 3. As for Serena... well, stop pulling out at tournaments! :tape:

AcesHigh
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Well..they aren't doing terrible, but it looks like they haven't waken up this year. And it's not even about being challenged by the new generation because some of these younger players are doing poorly too.

However, it's just the first few tournaments of the year. I still think the offseason should be longer and maybe a mandatory Tier I before AO. The schedule could just use retooling, but other than that, I'm sure everyone will be fine. It's only February.

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Apart from Petrova, Bartoli and Schnyder, the others are doing quite nicely.... Chaky, Venus and Sveta will have to step it up though if they dun want to sink even lower like the former 3. As for Serena... well, stop pulling out at tournaments! :tape:

I don't think so:
Safina lost to Lisicky, Shahar (twice), injured Hantuchova and Zvonareva. her record is 4-5 which is bad!
Golovin's record this year isn't good also 2-2.
Shahar has a quite decent record, but her losses this year hasn't been great and she struggeled against a lot of 2nd class players (Ditty, Voracova, Moore and Klepac).
Szavay lost, I think, in every first round she played beside Paris.
Bammer lost to Shvedova, Hsieh, Srebotnik, Li and Zvonareva.
I don't think this is quiet good. I can see a lot in and out of the top 20 this season with forms getting better and Li, Zvonareva and Azarenka continue to play good.

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM
The slump continue Golovin just lost to Mattek! :tape:

FrenchY52
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
The slump continue Golovin just lost to Mattek! :tape:

She's coming back from injury and she couldn't train during 3 4 weeks, so I don't think she's in a slump. Anyway I'd have liked her to win :(

matanuriel
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
She's coming back from injury and she couldn't train during 3 4 weeks, so I don't think she's in a slump. Anyway I'd have liked her to win :(

It is not Golovin slump it is the top 20's slump, most of them started the year really poorly.

matanuriel
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM
lol now Venus lost, this thread came right on time didn't it?

Shonami Slam
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
the only thing i agree is that the 18-25 spots are doing better than some of the ween-in week-out seeded players.
and shortly, they will switch ranking spots.

Zvonareva is one of the best players since the beggining of the year and she spearheads the assault on these weaker season starters.
the clay season will bring a change though, so this week and the two big american tournies are going to be the final point grabbing before a big turnaround in the rank starts, IMO.

faboozadoo15
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
The season is so young, and a lot of players have had a weird loss. All of a sudden, everyone thinks the entire top 20 is worthless? It's so silly.

Maria and Justine aren't the only players who are playing well.

47eggs
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Wow I was just about to make a similar thread so i'm glad that I saw this before I did! I really do agree, there are barely any players in or close to the top 20 who are playing well at the moment. At this rate, the top 20 could look very different in 6 months or so, but I doubt that it will continue this badly. The inconsistency at the moment is very strange. But I do agree with some of the other posts that there really are a new generation of players coming through, more so than any other time that I can remember, all at the same time. Be it those who have already fermented their places in the top 50 or 60 such as Szavay, Wozniaki, Paszek, Radwanksa, Cibulkova, Azarenka and Cornet, who are all still rising the ranks. There are so many players who look certain to find places in the top 100 by the end of 2008. In my opinion we will see all of the following well inside or around the top 100 by the end of the year:Morita, Rodina, Lisicki, Wickmayer, Duque Marino, Pivovarova, Radwanska, Brengle, Moore, Larcher de Brito and so many others.

I hope to see most of these players back on form soon, otherwise there are plenty of youngsters who are just steps away from taking thier places.

A'DAM
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Well Aga Radwanska is also in top 20 and she is doing very well this year :bounce:
But you are kinda right with your point!!!

fammmmedspin
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Add to which the top 20 is very different in ranking points than it was only a year or so ago. 1400 points used to get you near the top 10. Now you need that or nearly that for the top 20. At the top though below Justine its far closer going down into the teens of the rankings. Thats because few people are consistently good, the overweighting of GS gives you a high ranking for one or two good wins or an open draw in a GS and the people who are consistent can't make the break upwards to the really big wins. Its why a fit Maria can beat anyone and a fit Zvonereva or Schiavone can beat an awful lot of players ranked above them.
That all, in turn, has something to do with the new stars still learning, the age rules producing youngsters with relatively little match experience, several older players playing part time or after meeting their life goals and lots of injuries brought on by the modern style of play. You have also got a void where many of the top players in their mid twenties should be - its a depleted top ten because of that. The top 10 on relative ability would still include Kim. Nastya, Jelena Dokic and Lucic if they were still playing and not in the lost to tennis category.
The other bad news is that the lack of good older players to practice against doesn't help the youngsters develop.

matanuriel
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Well this day wasn't really good for the top players as well.
Henin needed 3 close sets against Srebotnik, who is a really good player but Henin is... well Henin.
Bammer lost in 2 and 3 to Schiavone.
Shahar needed 3 sets against Czink :eek:
Vaidisova got bageled by Ivanovic.

switz
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:35 AM
It's hilarious that Patty has moved up 5 places this year to #12 considering how poorly she's playing. I guess it's a reflection of how badly she played up until the red clay season last year. I guess that alarming and encouraging :confused:

Pasta-Na
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM
i think only agnes, bammer and nadia have been playing :help:

juju and patty are playing just ok.

chaky and jj are doing well, they lost to a better player-na li :rolls:

Bruno71
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:41 AM
chaky and jj are doing well, they lost to a better player-na li :rolls:

Wow! How good is Karin Knapp then? :help:

Pasta-Na
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:49 AM

good enough to beat a inconsistent/nervous na li :p

matanuriel
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:09 AM

:haha: Na Li fans are a bit :cuckoo:

mandy7
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Knapp just played well in Antwerp, which i hope she will continue doing, she's very nice and i wish her all the best for her career
and Li was sloppy. She's a good player though.

Still weird, when the #70 beats the #5 on the atp tour, ppl talk about depth
when it happens on the wta tour, we're talking about slumps.
Bloody double standards.