PDA

View Full Version : Henin: Dubai kick-started my success

Tech1
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Tennis
http://www.gulfnews.com/images/08/02/25/26_sp_tennis2_4.jpg
Karl Jeffs/Gulf News

Justine Henin is all smiles during day one of the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships.
Henin: Dubai kick-started my success

By Sarah Tregoning, Staff Reporter
Published: February 25, 2008, 23:41

Dubai: There is something about Dubai that agrees with defending champion Justine Henin and the world number one will be hoping her affinity for the city continues this week.
It was after taking the Dubai crown last year that Henin went on to claim nine Sony Ericsson WTA Tour titles including two Grand Slams.
She hasn't exactly had a bad season so far in 2008 either with wins in Sydney's Medibank International and Antwerp already under her belt.
Focused
Yet this year the unbeaten-in-Dubai Henin is probably facing her toughest line-up in the emirate to date and Maria Sharapova, the in-form Australian Open winner who turfed Henin out of the quarterfinals in Melbourne, lurks with intent at the other end of the draw.
http://gulfnews.advertserve.com/servlet/view/banner/image/zone?zid=43&pid=0&position=1 (http://gulfnews.advertserve.com/servlet/click/zone?zid=43&pid=0&lookup=true&position=1)

But Henin, focused as ever, is concentrating on her own game and refusing to take anything for granted "I love this tournament," said the four-time winner yesterday. "My season really started here in Dubai last year and it was the beginning of an amazing adventure for the rest of the season.
"It's very positive for sure to be undefeated here, but no-one knows what's going to happen. I have to work very hard and I won matches that I could have lost in Dubai." She says that the niggling injury to her right knee that saw her struggle in the Australian Open is much better.
"My knee injury also was very difficult to deal with. Now it's much better but after the Australian Open I had to stop for three weeks and I got cortisone injections. Now it's much better and I can play without pain, but I'm not making excuses - there are a lot of reasons why I didn't win that competition and Sharapova was the main one."

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Tennis

http://www.gulfnews.com/images/08/02/25/26_sp_tennis2_4.jpg

"My knee injury also was very difficult to deal with. Now it's much better but after the Australian Open I had to stop for three weeks and I got cortisone injections. Now it's much better and I can play without pain, but I'm not making excuses - there are a lot of reasons why I didn't win that competition and Sharapova was the main one."

She did have a knee injury in AO? :scratch:

But then, she didn't blame her knee injury for her loss to Sharapova... what she meant was that Sharapova was the better player that day. Good one, Juju :kiss:

Junex
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Dubai is really a special tourney to justine...

It was her in 2003 that she started her ascent to the top of womens tennis!

lightningquick
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I believe she has had the injury since sydney, but i am not sure.

Junex
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
She did have a knee injury in AO? :scratch:

But then, she didn't blame her knee injury for her loss to Sharapova... what she meant was that Sharapova was the better player that day. Good one, Juju :kiss:

its a niggling knee injury...
its always there, it flares up and become too painful after playing too many matches..

that is why justine is so smart in her schedule not playing three weeks in a row... except Sidney-AO and Eastbourne-Wimbledon since she doesn't really have that much choice.

cecilija
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
its a niggling knee injury...
its always there, it flares up and become too painful after playing too many matches..

that is why justine is so smart in her schedule not playing three weeks in a row... except Sidney-AO and Eastbourne-Wimbledon since she doesn't really have that much choice.

:lol:
Smart?
Of course she has. Do not play the week before a slam, but she will never learn.

Matt01
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM
"...but I'm not making excuses - there are a lot of reasons why I didn't win that competition and Sharapova was the main one."

Justine: classy as always :worship:

Good luck in Dubai :)

Keaka
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Too bad... she's gonna lose in 2R to Srebotnik :lol:

joke xD