PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article: OK For Sharapova, Not For Lauryn

NeeemZ
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I've just come across this article on news.com.au.

Ok for Sharapova, but not for Lauryn
By Sam Edmund
February 26, 2008 01:00am

A NINE-year-old girl has been banned from playing tennis by her local club because she grunts too loudly.

Lauryn Edwards was told at the weekend that she could no longer play her favourite sport after a complaint by an opposition player.

The Mt Carmel Tennis Club, in Sunbury, told Lauryn's stunned parents, Duncan and Ruth, that the grunting had become too much.

Mr Edwards described the ban as pathetic and has contacted Tennis Australia and Tennis Victoria for advice.

Lauryn's favourite player is Russian star and notorious grunter Maria Sharapova.

But Mr Edwards said his daughter's grunting was nowhere near Sharapova's level and had been exaggerated.

"It's pretty slight and now and again she hits it hard and makes a loud noise and that's it," he said.

"From just one comment, this has all blown up stupidly.

"There's no rule against it, so they've made a rule against it."

Mr Edwards said the club had asked him for an assurance Lauryn would remain silent on the court.

"They told me to guarantee she won't grunt or she can't play," he said.

"How can I guarantee that? She's been doing it since she was really little. She's her own person.

"What do they want me to do? Put Band-Aids over her mouth? They made her cry on the court when they told her.

"She was in such a state that I had to bring her home mid-match."

Lauryn, who has attention deficit disorder, has been playing tennis since the age of four, after it was recommended by her school psychologist at Sunbury Primary to burn energy and keep her focused.

Dubbed Lauryn Sharapova by an old coach, she said she played better when grunting.

"It feels natural to do my noise. I'm not faking it," Lauryn said.

"It makes me play better. When I don't do it, I don't play my best tennis.

"And now people have told me I can't play if I do it."

Lauryn plays for Mt Carmel in the Northern Suburbs Junior Tennis Association.

Mt Carmel vice-president Paul Hackett was tight-lipped yesterday.

"No comment, sorry," Mr Hackett said.

"No one is not allowing her to play. Sorry, I can't say any more than that."

NSJTA president Russell Baldry said he was unaware of the issue.

Mr Baldry said it was disappointing that the club had appeared to take matters into its own hands.

"They just had to ask her to try and be a little quieter, not make a federal case out of it," he said.

"This is not in the association's interests and not in the girl's interests.

"The association will have to discuss it because we certainly have not stopped her from playing."

Opinions?

hdfb
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Well if there weren't crazy people who thought Sharapova was pretty they'd probably crack down on her a bit more.

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Pathetic is a good description of the idea of banning a 9yr old from playing for this :p

She wants to be like Maria....good on her ;)

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I wonder when an army of youngsters who have modeled themselves on Maria will start appearing on tour... That will be a scary day in history of tennis.

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:03 AM
it's a sad day already that little girls imitate her shrieking. Shrieking is unnecessary and rude. Next time we'll see a girl imitating her by modeling at age 5.

You brought your best legacy to tennis Masha, keep it going!:yeah::weirdo:

NeeemZ
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I personally think it was good that she was told off for grunting. banning her may be a bit too far, but her shrieking needs to stop.

http://publish.vx.roo.com/heraldsun/videoplayer/?Channel=Herald+Sun+News&ClipId=1396_tennisgrunt_250&bitrate=300&Format=wmp

Watch the video and just observe whether her grunting is exagerated or natural, as the family states in the article.

Slutati
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:33 AM
She is such a little wannabe Sharapova.It is not a natural thing if she looks up to Sharapova she does it on purpose.

aussie_fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:36 AM
well, if she grunting too loud then it's fine. There is no need to grunt as loud as maria does, it's bad sportsmanship. They give her the option of keep playing if she stops shrieking so loudly, that's her choice.

WIMBLY2004
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:43 AM
it's a sad day already that little girls imitate her shrieking. Shrieking is unnecessary and rude. Next time we'll see a girl imitating her by modeling at age 5.

Well, thanks god that girl didn't squeak her shoes when opponents were serving, and no, Ivanovic didn't model, she just posed and took pictures as a model :weirdo:

NeeemZ
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:07 AM
She is such a little wannabe Sharapova.It is not a natural thing if she looks up to Sharapova she does it on purpose.

Agreed. :);)

It's bloody inconsistant of the family to say it's natural when the girl clearly states her favourite player is Maria.

*hingis_forever*
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Why are people acting as though Sharapova's the first one to grunt? We can probably thank Seles for Sharapova's grunting and it's not as though the Williams sisters are silent when they hit the ball. Anyway, even though the grunting is a bit annoying, she shouldn't be banned. That's just ridiculous!

cheo23
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Omg she has a HOT daddy!!!!!!

Slutati
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:28 AM
She looks a bit like Azarenka though:lol:

njnetswill
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:41 AM

:haha:

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Well, thanks god that girl didn't squeak her shoes when opponents were serving, and no, Ivanovic didn't model, she just posed and took pictures as a model :weirdo:

Why do you Maria's fans have to write the word "Ivanovic" with associated bashing in every thread? It's getting tiring:o It seems you have no other way of defending Sharapova other than bashing other players:help:

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Why do you Maria's fans have to write the word "Ivanovic" with associated bashing in every thread? It's getting tiring:o It seems you have no other way of defending Sharapova other than bashing other players:help:
Your stupid ass is attracted to any thread with "Sharapova" on it like a pig to sh*t so you cant lecture anyone on bashing. Please for once in your life at least come up with something sensible to post. It is becoming more than tiring.

Cakeisgood
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Wow, really one to talk spiritedenergy, almost every post of yours is Sharapova bashing. But about the girl, it really isn't that loud. I play grunters all the time and heck, I grunt when I hit the ball hard too. This girl being banned is pretty ridiculous.

NOTE: The complainer was probably the parent of an inferior junior and therefore wanted to get rid of this little girl so his kid could win. CONSPIRAAAACCCYYYY

Nikkiri
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:14 AM

Another Sharapova fan pissed off with what that idiot says and brings Ivanovic into it :yawn:
Why don't you all just put him on ignore. Has he ever said anything worth reading?

WIMBLY2004
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Why do you stupidenergy have to write the word "Sharapova" with associated bashing in every thread? It's getting beyond tiring.

And BTW, Ivanovic is mentioned only to show what a hypocritical small person you are.

Harvs
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:20 AM
yeah i just read this in the paper... ridculous

Andy.
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:20 AM
This really pisses me off. When will the Australian media get off Masha's back about the whole grunting thing, they act as if she was the pioneer and is the only oe that does it. And for gods sake leave this little girl alone, her club has gone way to far. I hope she makes something of herself so she can rub it right in their faces. Its not even that loud, the Australian media just love having a field day with grunting and love to slg Maria in the process. The Australian media always seem to have negative undertones when writing about Maria even when its about her wins.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:01 AM
This is stupid :help:

Maria grunts. Seles grunts EVEN LOUDER. And yet, they play on in WTA without any problems at all (yeah, there are complains, but only a minority).

This 9-year old grunts, and the club decides to BAN HER? :tape:

Logic? I don't see one in here :weirdo:

So Disrespectful
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Until the WTA sanction a ban on shreiking (which I sincerely hope they do not), there should be no problem with it on a club level. This little girl has been unable to train since the incident, because she's been grunting for years and it probably would affect her game to just suddenly tone it down. It's sad that this has happened.

i agree :hearts:

supergrunt
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:32 AM
it's not even that bad! :(

Marcus1979
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:55 AM
didn't a player complain about Maria grunting back in 2003 at Birmingham or something?

Renalicious
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Let her shriek!! :D

DutchieGirl
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I read it at work and LMAO - we play against this club in my tennis comp! :lol: (Although I haven't heard the girl) - but we were talking about it at tennis tonight. It's pretty harsh to ban a 9 year old. Much as I HATE it when Maria S does it, if they aren't gonna police it on the tour, then to ban a 9 yo is going a bit far I guess. :shrug:

Elwin.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM
:o

Lindsayfan32
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I saw this on the news tonight. Asking her to quieten down I have no problems with. But banning her going too far and the case is now in the hands of tennis Victoria and I hope in the end common sense prevails and Lauryn is allowed to play again as there is nothing in rules that says she can't do it. Todd Woodridge was on today tonight and he said she quite good maybe that had something to do with it.

Mikey.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
She looks a bit like Azarenka though:lol:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw her on tv tonight. :lol:

But yeah I think it's pretty ridiculous to ban her from playing. She is a young girl that is aspiring to be like her idol. Who should stop her from dreaming? It's not as if she was screaming at the top of her lungs. :shrug:

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM

You brought your best legacy to tennis Masha, keep it going!:yeah::weirdo: You're each time more annoying and predictable:tape::rolleyes:

aussie_fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I can't believe this was 3rd or 4th story on the news tonight

It's understandable, should be teaching our players better sportsmanship and shrieking that loud (yes, i've heard louder shrieking but it still doesn't make it right) just isn't fair for the other player. You can grunt but when it's so obivously put on deliabtely that it's a distraction for the opponent, i think they have gone for the right option. If she wants to play tennis then don't cheat. :shrug:

Still can't believe the amount of attention this story has gotten.

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Another Sharapova fan pissed off with what that idiot says and brings Ivanovic into it :yawn:
Why don't you all just put him on ignore. Has he ever said anything worth reading?

Sadly Ana has her fair share of idiotic fans. Have YOU ever said anything worthwhile in this forum?:tape:

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Sadly Ana has her fair share of idiotic fans. Have YOU ever said anything worthwhile in this forum?:tape:
everyone are a better poster than you

Nikkiri
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Well it wouldn't be worthwhile to you since i hardly talk about Maria Sharapova and that seems to be your fave subject.

Craigy
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Certaintly more than you ever have.

Nikkiri
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Certaintly more than you ever have.

Craig, your sig and av :hearts:

perseus2006
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM

This tripe from a poster who has Monica Seles in his signature!

bellascarlett
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Your stupid ass is attracted to any thread with "Sharapova" on it like a pig to sh*t so you cant lecture anyone on bashing. Please for once in your life at least come up with something sensible to post. It is becoming more than tiring.

Preach!

:haha: :haha: PWNED!!!!! :lol:

Stupidenergy isn't just stupid, but also a major hypocrite...:help:

Warrior
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Another victim of gruntophobia.

drake3781
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Until the WTA sanction a ban on shreiking (which I sincerely hope they do not), there should be no problem with it on a club level. This little girl has been unable to train since the incident, because she's been grunting for years and it probably would affect her game to just suddenly tone it down. It's sad that this has happened.

I agree with you, except I would like to see WTA and down to the club level implement a restriction on shrieking/grunting over a certain level. There would need to be a meter available to take to the court. Doable and the only solution that is going to work.

I can't believe this was 3rd or 4th story on the news tonight

It's understandable, should be teaching our players better sportsmanship and shrieking that loud (yes, i've heard louder shrieking but it still doesn't make it right) just isn't fair for the other player. You can grunt but when it's so obivously put on deliabtely that it's a distraction for the opponent, i think they have gone for the right option. If she wants to play tennis then don't cheat. :shrug:

Still can't believe the amount of attention this story has gotten.

Attention because while we avid tennis fans have become used to the shrieking/grunting, almost everybody else who casually sees tennis on TV or live finds it pretty shocking at first.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM

what the hell are you talking about?? :haha:

SharapovaFan16
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Grunting is bad sportsmanship? HAHAHA, where do you people come up with such drivel?

DimaDinosaur
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:49 PM
didn't a player complain about Maria grunting back in 2003 at Birmingham or something?

Yes, it was Elena Dementieva who complained. She showed signs of jealousy from the start. Then, when Sharapova defeated her in that tournament, she tried to get Sharapova banned from Fed Cup :lol:

spiritedenergy
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM

I wrote shrieking, not grunting. Sharapova's "grunting" is like a cat caught in a closed door. Don't make it like you don't know the difference:weirdo:

spiritedenergy
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Preach!

:haha: :haha: PWNED!!!!! :lol:

Stupidenergy isn't just stupid, but also a major hypocrite...:help:

OMG bruttascarlett at it again... don't you ever have anything different to reply?:tape:

slamchamp
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I wrote shrieking, not grunting. Sharapova's "grunting" is like a cat caught in a closed door. Don't make it like you don't know the difference:weirdo:
whatever b*tch

random fan
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM
whatever b*tch

What point in adding an imbecile to ignore list if you quote his every post? :rolleyes: but yeah whatever...

Ntour
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:48 AM
i think they made the right decision if she really wants ot keep playing tennis she will shut the fuck up

i think there should be some sort of rule against it, its okay to grunt i mean dementieva grunts, ivanovic grunts, shrapova screams its not the same

tennis will be a complete embarrassment in like 8 years time if the tour gets taken over by maria clones

AcesHigh
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM
i think they made the right decision if she really wants ot keep playing tennis she will shut the fuck up

i think there should be some sort of rule against it, its okay to grunt i mean dementieva grunts, ivanovic grunts, shrapova screams its not the same

tennis will be a complete embarrassment in like 8 years time if the tour gets taken over by maria clones

I agree, and the point everyone has ignored is that a lot of players grunt due to the intensity of their shots or how hard they are striking the ball, this is at least true for Serena and from what I remember, for Seles and Venus.
How intense can a 9 year old be playing? It's not natural, it's an act and if she's 9years old, it can be corrected.

Stop exaggerating or get off the court. Harsh, but you have to correct these things early.

Dan23
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yes, it was Elena Dementieva who complained. She showed signs of jealousy from the start. Then, when Sharapova defeated her in that tournament, she tried to get Sharapova banned from Fed Cup :lol:
wrong and wrong

Tamus
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I agree, and the point everyone has ignored is that a lot of players grunt due to the intensity of their place or how hard they are striking the ball, this is at least true for Serena and from what I remember, for Seles and Venus.
How intense can a 9 year old be playing? It's not natural, it's an act and if she's 9years old, it can be corrected.

Stop exaggerating or get off the court. Harsh, but you have to correct these things early.

Ridiculous. You can't say that some players grunt due to hitting the ball hard or due to their "intensity" and that others don't, so it's okay for some to do it but not for others. It's like saying "I don't like how you grunt, so you need to stop, but I like when this other person does it, so it's okay for them." And everyone's grunting is exaggerated; you don't have to grunt to hit a tennis ball.

Oh, and why can't a 9-year-old be intense?

AcesHigh
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Ridiculous. You can't say that some players grunt due to hitting the ball hard or due to their "intensity" and that others don't, so it's okay for some to do it but not for others. It's like saying "I don't like how you grunt, so you need to stop, but I like when this other person does it, so it's okay for them." And everyone's grunting is exaggerated; you don't have to grunt to hit a tennis ball.

Oh, and why can't a 9-year-old be intense?

:lol: Are you serious? I didn't accuse any tour players of having exaggerated grunts... so I don't know where you are coming from. You don't have to grunt when you hit a tennis ball, but for some people it's very natural. For anyone who has played tennis at a fast pace, or gotten into a very intense rally(for their respective levels) some things just come out, whether verbally or through some motion that's become a habit. Many players grunt to some extent and for Seles, Venus, Serena and maybe even Sharapova, they hit with such aggression and such intensity, that grunting has become part of that.

No 9 yearold is going to be hitting at the level or intensity of a tour-level player or not even at the same intensity of a teenager who's at 5.0 and up. It's exaggerated and she's "copying" her idol Sharapova. I think anything below tour level, a certain level of grunting or shrieking(Sharapova shrieks, not grunts), can be banned.

Tamus
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
:lol: Are you serious? I didn't accuse any tour players of having exaggerated grunts... so I don't know where you are coming from. You don't have to grunt when you hit a tennis ball, but for some people it's very natural. For anyone who has played tennis at a fast pace, or gotten into a very intense rally(for their respective levels) some things just come out, whether verbally or through some motion that's become a habit. Many players grunt to some extent and for Seles, Venus, Serena and maybe even Sharapova, they hit with such aggression and such intensity, that grunting has become part of that.

No 9 yearold is going to be hitting at the level or intensity of a tour-level player or not even at the same intensity of a teenager who's at 5.0 and up. It's exaggerated and she's "copying" her idol Sharapova. I think anything below tour level, a certain level of grunting or shrieking(Sharapova shrieks, not grunts), can be banned.

I'm not buying it. Humans are copycats by nature. I don't think it's a coincidence that more and more women are grunting/shrieking/whatever in tennis today than ever before. It starts with one or two people, then others pick it up, and soon it becomes an epidemic, so to speak. You could say that it's because they are hitting harder or are more intense now, but I'm not buying that either. Look at the men's tour; there might be a little grunting, but nothing like on the women's side.

If this girl's club thought that her grunting was excessive, then they should make a rule banning grunting, not tell her "you grunt to loudly so you need to stop".

And what does it matter if she is copying Sharapova? Again, I would say it's only natural for her to copy her favorite players.

surferchicka
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM
ok this is slightly off topic, but how can anyone say that ivanovic's squeaks are annoying when marias screaming is a million times worse? you dont see players complaining about maria to umpires about her screaming. but you see players complaining to the umpires about squeaking *cough*hantuchova*cough*.

Mikey.
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Azarenka to me seems like one who grunts on purpose to put people off. She just sounds like an owl hooting with a really high pitch. The sound doesn't even seem like she's making it due to her intensity when hitting the ball. She even does them on drop volleys.

Mikey.
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:03 AM
ok this is slightly off topic, but how can anyone say that ivanovic's squeaks are annoying when marias screaming is a million times worse? you dont see players complaining about maria to umpires about her screaming. but you see players complaining to the umpires about squeaking *cough*hantuchova*cough*.

Probably because grunting is a common thing on the tour now. Everyone is use to it, and half of the players do some form of grunt. But I had never heard of someone squeaking their shoes in the service motion of someone else before Ana at this AO. Its the 'new thing' the players (and fans) are starting to whine about.

Tamus
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:04 AM

Because no one screams while her opponent is in the middle of a ball toss.

AcesHigh
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I'm not buying it. Humans are copycats by nature. I don't think it's a coincidence that more and more women are grunting/shrieking/whatever in tennis today than ever before. It starts with one or two people, then others pick it up, and soon it becomes an epidemic, so to speak. You could say that it's because they are hitting harder or are more intense now, but I'm not buying that either. Look at the men's tour; there might be a little grunting, but nothing like on the women's side.

If this girl's club thought that her grunting was excessive, then they should make a rule banning grunting, not tell her "you grunt to loudly so you need to stop".

And what does it matter if she is copying Sharapova? Again, I would say it's only natural for her to copy her favorite players.

Players are more aggressive than they ever were on the women's side and there is more emphasis on the power baseline game. Women's tennis is also more physical than it's ever been. THAT's why.. not this copycat thing you are talking about which I find totally ridiculous. Any respectable coach isn't going to allow a player to come up screaming like Sharapova, especially if it's an act.

Grunting is natural and acceptable. No reason it would be banned :weirdo:. Grunting to a level that is distracting or shrieking is bad. Sharapova has been measured at 100 decibels and above. That is ridiculous. If my favorite player cheats or picks their ass or takes forever to serve, is that okay to copy? No.. certain things need to be discouraged.

This is not an attack on Sharapova. This is what should be done to keep tennis from becoming a sideshow.

Btw, there have been loud grunters on the men's side also. Just nothing to the level of Sharapova's shrieking.

Tamus
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I think anything below tour level, a certain level of grunting or shrieking(Sharapova shrieks, not grunts), can be banned.

Grunting is natural and acceptable. No reason it would be banned :weirdo:.

You lost me in your argument here. :confused:

My biggest problem is that the club told the girl to stop her grunting, when there was no rule against it, and presumably other girls grunt as well but just not as loud. If the club wants to restrict the level of grunting, then they should have a rule about it. Is that too hard to understand? At one point you say excessive gunting should be banned; then you say it should be discouraged, but not banned.

mankind
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Azarenka to me seems like one who grunts on purpose to put people off. She just sounds like an owl hooting with a really high pitch. The sound doesn't even seem like she's making it due to her intensity when hitting the ball. She even does them on drop volleys.

Azarenka probably got that from emulating Sharapova, too.
I must say that, having seen Sharapova play live too many times to mention, her grunting/shrieking isn't THAT bad. I think the courtside microphones exaggerate the sound when you hear it on TV.

As for the article, I don't really know what to say about it. The girl has ADD, she needs a hobby or something which she can achieve and be proud of herself, I say let her play. Unless it gets really out of hand and she becomes too intense, in which case I would say competitive sport isn't the right thing for her.

HTE
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Probably because grunting is a common thing on the tour now. Everyone is use to it, and half of the players do some form of grunt. But I had never heard of someone squeaking their shoes in the service motion of someone else before Ana at this AO. Its the 'new thing' the players (and fans) are starting to whine about.

True, and let's face it tennis players are taught to be hyper sensitive to anything that might put their focus slightly off: A spectator moving in his seat the opponent squeaking her shoes, a plane flying over the court. Tennis is the only sport that is like this.
In badminton for instance the spectators are cheering, shouting and banging things during duels, the players love it because the "push" from the crowd lifts them. If someone sneezes during a tennis match the person is likely to be told off and the point replayed ;)

That said, I really do think that the grunting/shrieking is getting out of hand.
So many of the young girls can't hit a ball without screaming at it, as if the sound waves will make it travel faster across the net. Sure it's natural to grunt at the end of a long really, to get the extra bit of energy out, but not every single shot, thats' just silly
No nine-year-old needs to scream at every ball ADHD or not, her parents should explain that to her and problem really should haven solved long ago. Banning little girls from a sport they love is heartbreaking.

skanky~skanketta
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM
the poor girl.

how many of you guys do it? I do it but unintentionally, for instance, if I hit a stretch volley or a hard-to-get ball i end up grunting. If the ball comes back, the grunt stays on till the point is won.

Mikey.
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:05 AM
the poor girl.

how many of you guys do it? I do it but unintentionally, for instance, if I hit a stretch volley or a hard-to-get ball i end up grunting. If the ball comes back, the grunt stays on till the point is won.

That's basically the same as me. Its like once I reach hard to get one tricky ball back, the rest of the point needs extra effort to win, so the grunt stays on. :lol:

DutchieGirl
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:19 AM
the poor girl.

I can't remember the last time I grunted (and no, it's not that I don't put any effort into my shots). I may occasionally do it if I really have to reach wide for a ball or something, but it's really not often. I mean I understand people doing it occasionally, but yeah, after every ball is not necessary.

Ben.
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Well the girl probably shouldn not have been banned, but just been given a punishment that is not too harsh on her but at a level where it will make her see sense not to grunt on every ball on purpose that is neccessary.

goldenslam888
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:27 AM
you know there a difference between playing a a club along side other paying members, and playing on center court in a pro tournament.

denisgiann
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I love tennis but many times the tennis world seems to be cut out of the rest of the sports world.In all sports people grunt and scream but only in the crazy tennis world they want to use...acceptable decibel levels...(dear god have mercy:tape::tape::tape:)
Then they take it even further and divide the screams into categories... shriek...grunt... shriek is not acceptable... grunt is... .and so on....
My opinion is that wussies and whiners will always be just that... wussies and whiners.They ll always have something to blame ... the opponent screams...the court is slippery....i was hurt and she didnt check up on me...her box is coaching her....What iam saying is.... Shut the f.ck up and just play tennis.

DutchieGirl
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I love tennis but many times the tennis world seems to be cut out of the rest of the sports world.In all sports people grunt and scream but only in the crazy tennis world they want to use...acceptable decibel levels...(dear god have mercy:tape::tape::tape:)
Then they take it even further and divide the screams into categories... shriek...grunt... shriek is not acceptable... grunt is... .and so on....
My opinion is that wussies and whiners will always be just that... wussies and whiners.They ll always have something to blame ... the opponent screams...the court is slippery....i was hurt and she didnt check up on me...her box is coaching her....What iam saying is.... Shut the f.ck up and just play tennis.

Sorry, I must have missed something - I follow a fair few sports, but have yet to hear ANYONE shriek like Sharapova does while playing. Certainly not as constantly as she does.

aussie_fan
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I can't remember the last time I grunted (and no, it's not that I don't put any effort into my shots). I may occasionally do it if I really have to reach wide for a ball or something, but it's really not often. I mean I understand people doing it occasionally, but yeah, after every ball is not necessary.

agree with that, that's why it makes shrieking that loud cheating, it's unnecssary

waratahsrock
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Vika's grunts are not used to put her opponent off :rolleyes: They are just as much a part of her game as Maria's are for her. Vika brings such a high intensity to every point she plays and the grunts are a side effect of that.

DutchieGirl
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Vika's grunts are not used to put her opponent off :rolleyes: They are just as much a part of her game as Maria's are for her. Vika brings such a high intensity to every point she plays and the grunts are a side effect of that.

I'm sorry, but crap. :p I'm sure she's gotten louder since the first time I saw her playing (which was a few years ago now). :p

waratahsrock
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry, but crap. :p I'm sure she's gotten louder since the first time I saw her playing (which was a few years ago now). :p

I thought she was louder last year. Seeing her this year i thought she toned it down a tad. and good on her for doing it anyway - its part of her game. Live with it!

DutchieGirl
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I thought she was louder last year. Seeing her this year i thought she toned it down a tad. and good on her for doing it anyway - its part of her game. Live with it!

:shrug: I am living with it, and I like Vika, but it doesn't mean I have to like her shrieks. :p

Mikey.
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Hmmm well I don't think so. :shrug:

Maria's grunts are generally much more tolerable than Vika's anyway. :shrug:

denisgiann
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Sorry, I must have missed something - I follow a fair few sports, but have yet to hear ANYONE shriek like Sharapova does while playing. Certainly not as constantly as she does.

You mean that you want to be able to hear a player(in soccer,basketball,volleyball etc) screaming.....in front of an already noisy and roaring crowd:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: You can only hear them if you are sitting really really close or you have the luxury of some instant replays in your home tv set(or maybe you are clark kent).But believe me they are.Now... you say.. Sarapova shrieks...so what... who are you ..or anyone for that matter who decides the volume and the quality of the sound the players make.Do you have any idea how stupid this sounds?Real players dont bother with things like grunting.. shoes scratching and the likes... they just concentrate and play.Of course if you are a drama queen (the dictionary says....hantuchova dementieva you know;)) then everything and anything will always be an excuse.
And last but not least... if you are bothered so much with the noise the players make.. i dont see why you list only sharapova and not for example serena or venus for that matter.They are just as loud as sharapova.But yes i know... sharapova shrieks... they grunt....lol....

Dan23
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I thought she was louder last year. Seeing her this year i thought she toned it down a tad. and good on her for doing it anyway - its part of her game. Live with it!I agree Vika did seem far quieter this year than last. If players were keen on putting their opponent off it would be better to be making noises when the opponent hitting the ball not themselves.

Maria is only what I'd call 'loud' occasionally during matches....she keeps at a pretty consistant level for the most part.

aussie_fan
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM

vika grunts when she plays a normal volley, she's defiantely putting it on.

waratahsrock
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
vika grunts when she plays a normal volley, she's defiantely putting it on.
I've been to many of her matches and I swear that the times she has grunted during a volley are slim. She has when she's put a swinging volley away for a winner.

serenus_2k8
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I think its fine as long as it isnt after every shot. If a grunt is followed by a stunning winner for example, its OK but to be rallying with a loud grunt after every shot is only going to disrupt concentration of her opponent, so its clearly unfair.

DutchieGirl
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:14 AM
You mean that you want to be able to hear a player(in soccer,basketball,volleyball etc) screaming.....in front of an already noisy and roaring crowd:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: You can only hear them if you are sitting really really close or you have the luxury of some instant replays in your home tv set(or maybe you are clark kent).But believe me they are.Now... you say.. Sarapova shrieks...so what... who are you ..or anyone for that matter who decides the volume and the quality of the sound the players make.Do you have any idea how stupid this sounds?Real players dont bother with things like grunting.. shoes scratching and the likes... they just concentrate and play.Of course if you are a drama queen (the dictionary says....hantuchova dementieva you know;)) then everything and anything will always be an excuse.
And last but not least... if you are bothered so much with the noise the players make.. i dont see why you list only sharapova and not for example serena or venus for that matter.They are just as loud as sharapova.But yes i know... sharapova shrieks... they grunt....lol....
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm a season membership holder at a basketball club and I sit FRONT ROW< and no bloody player SHRIEKS every time the shoot the ball. They don't shriek or grunt in swimming. In AUssie football the don't shriek or grunt either. Neither do they in cricket constantly...and that was part of my point the word CONSTANTLY. As I said, I understand that sometimes people will grunt when exerting extra effort. That, I don't have a problem with, but shrieking after every point in an exxagerated manner is bloody annoying to say the least, and simply not necessary!

I don't see why I am a drama queen - you are the one turning this into something bigger than what I made it. I never said Maria sucks and should be banned for shrieking. I just wish they'd stop it ALL THE TIME! Understand that?

Harvs
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm a season membership holder at a basketball club and I sit FRONT ROW< and no bloody player SHRIEKS every time the shoot the ball. They don't shriek or grunt in swimming. In AUssie football the don't shriek or grunt either. Neither do they in cricket constantly...and that was part of my point the word CONSTANTLY. As I said, I understand that sometimes people will grunt when exerting extra effort. That, I don't have a problem with, but shrieking after every point in an exxagerated manner is bloody annoying to say the least, and simply not necessary!

I don't see why I am a drama queen - you are the one turning this into something bigger than what I made it. I never said Maria sucks and should be banned for shrieking. I just wish they'd stop it ALL THE TIME! Understand that?

in none of those sports is a player CONSTANTLY putting in that effort like in tennis...

basketball is a lot of running but you dont grunt when u run...
u physically cant grunt in swimming...
AFL - ur not kicking the ball that often
and cricket, when ur batting its a one off shot and then a break...

so yeah, i just reckon u cant really use any other sport as an example for the same grunting ad tennis

DutchieGirl
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:32 AM
...;12615207']in none of those sports is a player CONSTANTLY putting in that effort like in tennis...

basketball is a lot of running but you dont grunt when u run...
u physically cant grunt in swimming...
AFL - ur not kicking the ball that often
and cricket, when ur batting its a one off shot and then a break...

so yeah, i just reckon u cant really use any other sport as an example for the same grunting ad tennis
Well, as I wasn;t the one to bring up other sports and grunting anyway, perhaps you should mention that to denisgiann. He was the one using it to support his argument saying that everyone in all sports grunt. I was just saying - no they don't (for whatever reason it is).
And fyi - most tennis players put in that amount of effort constantly and DO NOT grunt/shriek - kinda blows any other argument out of the water. :p

safinismine
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Apparently you can download her grunts as a ringtone.

Harvs
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Well, as I wasn;t the one to bring up other sports and grunting anyway, perhaps you should mention that to denisgiann. He was the one using it to support his argument saying that everyone in all sports grunt. I was just saying - no they don't (for whatever reason it is).
And fyi - most tennis players put in that amount of effort constantly and DO NOT grunt/shriek - kinda blows any other argument out of the water. :p

not really... its the same as any sport... people do stuff differently to others...

grunting just works for somepeople and becomes a habit... theres nothing wrong with it...

i think the fact that there is no rule against grunting - besides the fact that the umpire can speak to the player - but cant actually do anything to stop them - blows any arguments about how grunting is wrong and unfair out of the water:p

HTE
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Come on Sarah we all know you are a drama queen :p

Of course there aren't any other sports where athletes grunt like that, even similar sports like Badminton or Squash. It has become a silly trend in tennis and will hopefully go away again.

denisgiann
Feb 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM
And fyi - most tennis players put in that amount of effort constantly and DO NOT grunt/shriek - kinda blows any other argument out of the water. :p.
The sports my dear friend i mentioned was just a small example... every sport that involves hitting,trowing etc like discus or javelin in track and field..... have the same effect on the athletes... they all scream or grunt to maximize effort.Do you think that when a martial artist punches and yells he does it for the amusement of the fans or to distract his opponent? he does it cause its proven that it maximizes the strenght of the punch.The difference is that for example when a person throws a javelin it takes a long time for him to get his turn back so it isnt so obvious that he screams or shouts all the time...plus the stadium is already noisy.In tennis you have to hit in intervals of seconds .Also the stadium is silent so every sound is amplified and it seems bigger only because there is no ambient sound to cover it.
Anyway the point is that you cant control how an athlete breathes or shouts during an athletic effort.if that gets him or her in the groove and gives him the ability to use his maximum power.if a player loses his concentration because of the grunting on the other side... excuse me but he or she is just making pityful excuses...Hantuchova was ok when she was 8 straight games up... but suddenly after the match started to turn she discovered that anas shoes were squicking.....So the real problem is just the drama queen syndrome... but since we are talking about womens game... its completely understandable:lol:.

aussie_fan
Feb 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I've been to many of her matches and I swear that the times she has grunted during a volley are slim. She has when she's put a swinging volley away for a winner.

during the women dubs final this year at AO i mean watching vika shrieking when volleying and thinking how unnecssary it was. Could be difefrent to others matches but it's still unnecssary to do it at all.

aussie_fan
Feb 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
The sports my dear friend i mentioned was just a small example... every sport that involves hitting,trowing etc like discus or javelin in track and field..... have the same effect on the athletes... they all scream or grunt to maximize effort.

:confused: How that can distract their oppoents when in javelin and discus they go one after each other, it's not like tennis when it's one on one directly against each other

DutchieGirl
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
The sports my dear friend i mentioned was just a small example... every sport that involves hitting,trowing etc like discus or javelin in track and field..... have the same effect on the athletes... they all scream or grunt to maximize effort.Do you think that when a martial artist punches and yells he does it for the amusement of the fans or to distract his opponent? he does it cause its proven that it maximizes the strenght of the punch.The difference is that for example when a person throws a javelin it takes a long time for him to get his turn back so it isnt so obvious that he screams or shouts all the time...plus the stadium is already noisy.In tennis you have to hit in intervals of seconds .Also the stadium is silent so every sound is amplified and it seems bigger only because there is no ambient sound to cover it.
Anyway the point is that you cant control how an athlete breathes or shouts during an athletic effort.if that gets him or her in the groove and gives him the ability to use his maximum power.if a player loses his concentration because of the grunting on the other side... excuse me but he or she is just making pityful excuses...Hantuchova was ok when she was 8 straight games up... but suddenly after the match started to turn she discovered that anas shoes were squicking.....So the real problem is just the drama queen syndrome... but since we are talking about womens game... its completely understandable:lol:.

The sports you mentioned originally were not javelin, discus etc, they were basketball, soccer etc...and because I shot down that argument, you now turn to sports where everyone takes it in turn to have a throw, as opposed to tennis, where you are hitting to another person. In discus and javelin it doesn't matter one bit if someone grunts/shrieks/yells as they are not gonna be putting off their opponant.

DutchieGirl
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Come on Sarah we all know you are a drama queen :p

Yes, of course. :p

DutchieGirl
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM
grunting just works for somepeople and becomes a habit... theres nothing wrong with it...

Actually, there is something wrong with it if it's putting off other people. Remember Seles was asked to tone it down a Wimby once? So there is something that can be done about it. At 9 years old, I can't believe someone it hitting the ball hard enough to have to shreik after every ball, and so it should be stopped before they "get used to it and it becomes a habit". It's a BAD habit, that can be off putting. As I said before, I do think it's harsh to ban this 9 year old girl (the whole point of tis thread, right?), BUT they can ask her to tone it down, because at 9 it really is unnecessary (well at any age it is really - if the majority of us can play tennis without having to grunt/shriek/moan after every point then I don't see why some feel the need to). Also, it's interesting that no one brings up Fran Schiavone in these arguments - coz her moan is horrible, and she does it about 5-10 seconds AFTER she has hit the ball!

Slumpsova
Feb 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM

totally agree with you!
thank god someone (organizer) stepped up pointing out that screaming in every single hit is just wrong :weirdo: :rolleyes:

at some point i think the girl deserves to be punished for having such a role model :o

NEXT!

Harvs
Mar 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
Actually, there is something wrong with it if it's putting off other people. Remember Seles was asked to tone it down a Wimby once? So there is something that can be done about it. At 9 years old, I can't believe someone it hitting the ball hard enough to have to shreik after every ball, and so it should be stopped before they "get used to it and it becomes a habit". It's a BAD habit, that can be off putting. As I said before, I do think it's harsh to ban this 9 year old girl (the whole point of tis thread, right?), BUT they can ask her to tone it down, because at 9 it really is unnecessary (well at any age it is really - if the majority of us can play tennis without having to grunt/shriek/moan after every point then I don't see why some feel the need to). Also, it's interesting that no one brings up Fran Schiavone in these arguments - coz her moan is horrible, and she does it about 5-10 seconds AFTER she has hit the ball!

the thing is tho... they rarely ever get asked to tone down... so for the most part, its not affecting the opponent and almost always, the opponent is complaining when they jsut happen to be losing.

bellascarlett
Mar 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM
OMG bruttascarlett at it again... don't you ever have anything different to reply?:tape:

Don't you have anything different to do than talk bad about Sharapova? :tape: Anyway, I've tried but you've proven that your comprehension skills are poor. :awww: The simpler the terms, the better for you. Even then, when you're pwned, you remain in denial. :lol:

I must say that, having seen Sharapova play live too many times to mention, her grunting/shrieking isn't THAT bad. I think the courtside microphones exaggerate the sound when you hear it on TV.

True. I've seen Maria live many times and every time I thought she wasn't as loud as when you watch her on TV. Everything on TV just gets magnified or exaggerated. I think the volume of the microphone is increased as well for the television coverage. To be honest, the times I've watched, I hardly notice her grunting after maybe the first few points. I even have to consciously remind myself to be aware of her grunting to judge for myself if it is indeed loud. And every time I come out like "It's actually not bad." And thus, I am inclined to believe the other players when they say that they just don't notice it on court. When you are into the match, I think you hardly hear it as you focus so much on what you're doing on your side of the court.

DutchieGirl
Mar 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM
...;12622900']the thing is tho... they rarely ever get asked to tone down... so for the most part, its not affecting the opponent and almost always, the opponent is complaining when they jsut happen to be losing.

The thing is tho, it's not always the opponant on that court that is annoyed by the noise. Especially at local clubs like this girl, where the courts are all next to each other, with nothing to block out sound, it can annoy other players too. And I have read articles from WTA tournaments where players on OTHER courts have commented about the "racket" coming from a different court!

pov
Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
I'm glad that at least a couple people realize that what is heard on TV is very, very different from what the player on the other side of the net hears. They aren't running shogun microphone output on the court. Sharapova's grunting isn't disruptive to another player. The TV viewers who complain may not like to hear it much but this is pro sports, she's an athlete and whatever sounds she makes are part and parcel of her game.

Boomguy
Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Most of the WTA pros do it but it is not very loud the only loud ones are. Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Victoria Azarenka, The Williams sisters, Elena Dementieva and Dinara Safina. Then there is the quieter ones Like Sharhar Peer, Tatiana Golovin, Francesca Schiavone, Amelie Mauresmo, Lucie Safarova, Caroline Wozniacki, Alicia Molik, Nicole Vaidisova. Huge list of Grunters

Thieving Magpie
Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Have you ever thought about how to enforce an anti-grunting rule?
That's not gonna be as easy as one might think. If you implement a rule like this it will have an effect on all the players on the tour. You could generally forbid grunting, but then you have to have to define exactly the difference between an avoidable grunting and a grunting that is caused by let's say physical exhaustion. So, if you have the definition you can start enforcing it by using point reductions or by imposing heavy fines.
Or you'd have to set up the so-called grunto-meters on every single court during a match and if a player exceeds a certain peak level with his/her grunting he/she'll be punished. The installation alone would cost quite a bit of money and it wouldn't ensure that a low level grunting isn't just as annoying as one that exceeds the peak level.
If you leave the decision whether a grunting noise is too loud or too distracting to the umpire you'll have to open court cases for every second match that's going to be played.

I really don't mind the grunting, I got used to it by now, but I'm not a player.