PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova withdraws from Dubai

Jovana.
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM
from her latest doodle :

DUBAI WITHDRAWAL

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give you a little update on why I had to withdraw this week. First of all I was playing with a bad cold throughout the Doha tournament, but thankfully it held up well enough to keep me playing throughout the week. I flew to Dubai right after my final and woke up this morning feeling really fatigued and stuffed up with a cough. After trying to hit a little bit this evening I came to the conclusion that I'm realistically not going to be ready to play 5 matches in the next 5 days.

It's been such a great and healthy start to the year, and I dont want to jepodize that by making the wrong decisions, as I have in the past. The plan is to have a nice week of 'nothing' and start up training for Palm Springs healthy and fresh.

Once I get home you will all receive a great doodle! Can't tell you how excited I am to have some days off! To all my fans that were going to see me in Dubai...I am really really sorry but the good news is that my career is still very young and I will be back playing in Dubai many more times!!

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

sammy01
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
so sveta gets away with it again, first li na now maria, whats sveta doing to them lol.

we will see her fired up and ready to go at IW which she will probably win as its draw will be weak as always.

morningglory
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM
lucky Amelie and Svetlana :lol:

Slutati
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM
:haha:Oh Sveta, Sveta you got lucky.I'm sure she'll find a way to fuck things up

racketspeed
wise decision, she should be ready for IW.

goldenlox
Sveta isn't lucky. Maria is chicken.

Thieving Magpie
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Can't this be a joke please?

Lucas_Arg
Yes, she must be tired.
Well, so we will have to wait until Indian Wells, where she will win fo course.

morningglory
btw, might as well hand the trophy to Justine now...

Dan23
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:39 PM
:haha: :spit:

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM

:tape: :help:

:rolls:

Jachal
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Maria - shame on you!!! Radwanska played 3 matches in 2 countries in the course of 18 hours!

There's no excuse - a total lack of commitment to the tour!

Matt01
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
She would have lost her 1st or (at the latest) her 2nd match anyway :devil:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Never in doubt

It is not easy to play 2 tough events back to back

Il Primo!
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:43 PM
If she had a bye, she wouldn't have withdrawn. It's all because of the worthless Sveta!

Matt01
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Maria - shame on you!!! Radwanska played 3 matches in 2 countries in the course of 18 hours!

;)

Seles in 1996 won the Australian Open with a bad cough. And she won Sydney the week before. Of course Pova is no Seles :lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
after her title last week, she deserves a break, especially if it's needed.

at least she explains to her fans the truth and in detail about why she skips events unlike ANOTHER favorite of mine...mad respect to her.

In The Zone
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
If she had a bye, she wouldn't have withdrawn. It's all because of the worthless Sveta!

Yep. 5 days in 5 matches after just playing 5 in 5, would be 10 in 11.

UDACHi
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
smart choice.
should be ready to sweep the american events. :)

Dan23
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Twice shes made the Miami final after playing deep at Indian Wells and had little energy left to compete as she'd like. At least having another weeks rest will have her in top shape to start at IW.

Matt01
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM

Yeah, let's blame Sveta for this. :rolleyes: It's not her fault that your favorite s*cks :wavey:

NeoZod19
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
:haha:Oh Sveta, Sveta you got lucky.I'm sure she'll find a way to fuck things up

:haha: I agree!

Jachal
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
after her title last week, she deserves a break, especially if it's needed.

Buahahaha:haha::haha::haha:

Is this just naive or already dumb???

She should have thought about it earlier! Instead she committed to the Dubai tournament and caused a big blow for the tournament organizers and spectators! Maria doesn't even play doubles, so she just can't be tired!!!

Il Primo!
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Twice shes made the Miami final after playing deep at Indian Wells and had little energy left to compete as she'd like. At least having another weeks rest will have her in top shape to start at IW.

But making the IW/Miami is very doable compared to the Doha/Dubai one. You just play once in two days. I'm pretty confident. And her winning streak is still alive.
Yeah, let's blame Sveta for this. :rolleyes: It's not her fault that your favorite s*cks :wavey:

First of all, I wasn't serious about Sveta's thing. It was pretty obvious since she has nothing to do with this withdrawal. And for the 34744748 time, stop stalking me. You won't have pics of me nude, let it go:rolleyes:

Cp6uja
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM
It's very smart from Maria (and her team) to doing this and i personaly announce this here since she reach Doha final. I'm sure that Masha will play whole Dubai after Doha title without problems... but real problem is in fact that after two midle east touranaments coming long fly to USA and week of adaptation and acclimation on total different time zone in California - so why risk success at two much important tier-I two-weekwrs because some tier-II? She will survive 10 matches in 11 days, but her whole march campain will be in risk after that (IW and Miami - 4 weeks in the row of playing).

Also, i still expect of Ana Ivanovic to withdraw from Dubai despite news that no more pain in her ankle - why risk anything before two more important tournaments?

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Never in doubt

It is not easy to play 2 tough events back to back

Justine did it last year.

TTomek
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I hope they will now change oop :o

wtatennisballer
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Don't forget Yuri need rest too :fiery:

In The Zone
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Justine did it last year.

Justine also did it when both draws were 32s and finals were on Saturday. Wed-Sat then 3 full days off then another Wed-Sat.

8 in 11 is different than 10 in 11. I agree with Maria's decision.

hotandspicey
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
She was never going to win Dubai anyway. Withdrawing after the draw and oop is made. Too too late. She's still in the draw and 3rd match on center court for tomorrow! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:33 PM
It's very smart from Maria (and her team) to doing this and i personaly announce this here since she reach Doha final. I'm sure that Masha will play whole Dubai after Doha title without problems... but real problem is in fact that after two midle east touranaments coming long fly to USA and week of adaptation and acclimation on total different time zone in California - so why risk success at two much important tier-I two-weekwrs because some tier-II? She will survive 10 matches in 11 days, but her whole march campain will be in risk after that (IW and Miami - 4 weeks in the row of playing).

Also, i still expect of Ana Ivanovic to withdraw from Dubai despite news that no more pain in her ankle - why risk anything before two more important tournaments?

Because of some Tier II? :haha:
Do you hear athletes in commercials saying I Love Indian Wells and I Love Miami.

You can make as much money in a week at Dubai than you can in a month with Indian Wells and Miami especially if your name is Maria Sharapova.

Matt01
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
First of all, I wasn't serious about Sveta's thing. It was pretty obvious since she has nothing to do with this withdrawal. And for the 34744748 time, stop stalking me. You won't have pics of me nude, let it go:rolleyes:

Huh? :lol:

I'm hardly replying to you anymore since weeks. Your posts are not intelligent enough for that.

espresso
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Didn't she reire from there last year also?

Rod the Bama
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:42 PM
No she didn`t play there last year.

hablo
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
How come she waited so long to withdraw? :speakles:

Linnie
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
:eek:

So what happens with the draw now? Does a LL take her place?

Derek.
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Why should Maria be chicken when she's undefeated this year whereas Sveta has lost to Radwanska and Bammer? :lol:

Cp6uja
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Justine did it last year.It's big difference! Justine started her 2007 season in february (b/c divorce she not play Australian tournaments) and Maria have full shedule in January this season - playing AO to end and have FED CUP debut with hard travel to Israel.

This season Henin played in january so she not played both Midle East tournaments - and which is most important, dont forget what is price for her last season two midle east finals in the row - SHE NOT PLAY AT INDIAN WELLS after that (and Maria obviously dont want to repeat that)!

AcesHigh
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Good decision although it wasn't impossible for her to do this. She had relatively weak opponents compared to this Dubai draw so if she had taken care of business and swept through Doha, she would probably been able to compete at Dubai.

However, she says she had a cold which I totally believe, plus the conditions at Doha sucked. She needs a break and a deserved one. When you win a Tier I title, who wants to play the next day or two?

Vacant
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I hope Momo takes advantage of this!

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM
If Aga is doing it... maybe she was a little scared of her draw. Anyways see you in IW Masha!

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Huh? :lol:

I'm hardly replying to you anymore since weeks. Your posts are not intelligent enough for that.

gotta agree this time:worship:

DaMamaJama87
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:10 AM
LOL at y'all. Serena did this a week before the tournament even started and she was lambasted to high heavens. Sharapova pulls out AFTER THE DRAW IS MADE without a good reason and y'all can't agree with her decision fast enough. :tape: :tape: :lol: :rolls:

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:13 AM
LOL at y'all. Serena did this a week before the tournament even started and she was lambasted to high heavens. Sharapova pulls out AFTER THE DRAW IS MADE without a good reason and y'all can't agree with her decision fast enough. :tape: :tape: :lol: :rolls:

that's called Mashabatorithis, a degenerative malfunction of the brain that causes people to justify everything Maria does even if it's clearly worse than anything done by Serena:weirdo:

hotandspicey
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:22 AM

:worship:The double standards on this board is amazing!! Nothing is wrong with her. Tired my foot. Justine was waiting.:tape: :lol: :devil: Damn! would have been a good one.:drool:

hdfb
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
from her latest doodle :

DUBAI WITHDRAWAL
I came to the conclusion that I'm realistically not going to be ready to play 5 matches in the next 5 days.

:rolleyes: Overconfident much?

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:32 AM
she's such a serena copier :ras:

Andy.
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Smart decision from Masha. Get well soon

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM
LOL at y'all. Serena did this a week before the tournament even started and she was lambasted to high heavens. Sharapova pulls out AFTER THE DRAW IS MADE without a good reason and y'all can't agree with her decision fast enough. :tape: :tape: :lol: :rolls:Well y'all she has just won 2 tournaments and a Fed Cup tie so having a rest BEFORE PLAYING FOR 4 MORE WEEKS STRAIGHT is a more than resonable thing to do.

:rolleyes: Overconfident much?:rolleyes: Worst case she could have played 5 matches in 5 days and if that eventuated she would have wanted to be prepared for every one of them....she felt that wouldnt have been the case. Its quite simple but people have to overdramatise every detail.

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
:worship:The double standards on this board is amazing!! Nothing is wrong with her. Tired my foot. Justine was waiting.:tape: :lol: :devil: Damn! would have been a good one.:drool:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8069/mainchipbh2.jpg

TTomek
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:37 AM
5 matches in 5 days :rolleyes:

big deal!!!

Aga played 10 in 7 days :nerner:

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM
5 matches in 5 days :rolleyes:

big deal!!!

Aga played 10 in 7 days :nerner:
Quality > Quantity :p

Ntour
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:41 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I really wanted a justine maria final

she will win IW easily as none of the good players ever play there

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:44 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I really wanted a justine maria final

she will win IW easily as none of the good players ever play there

I think at least Ana plays there, she loves IW as far as I know

Lucyxx
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Maria wants to be 100% for IW/Miami. I think success at her home states should be important to her.

And who knows, maybe she finally wants to give Sveta a good draw. ;)

.Andrew.
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:53 AM
It's a smart decision by Masha. :)

She deserves the rest anyways.

theFutureisNow
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I don't know the exact schedule, but 10 matches in something like 11 or 12 days is a little much for anyone. Maria has already played more than anyone else in the top 10 this year.

I'm sure some people will complain, but it just wasn't in Maria's interest to play this tournament. The risk of injury, an uncharacteristic loss, or fatigue for the upcoming month outweighs any benefit she would have gained from potentially winning a tier 2.

I think if the WTA wants less withdrawals it needs to be a little more accommodating. Either have the upcoming tournament offer a bye to the previous weeks' finalists, or give a "penalty free" withdrawal offer to a player who makes the final the previous week.

Right now I think the withdrawal rules are too biased against the top players. There should be more recognition that it is much tougher to play consecutive tournaments when you are making it to the final rather than losing in the second round. And the players are the only ones looking out for themselves. Few people give you credit for playing in extra tournaments for the fans, but if you get injured or lose early you often get condemned.

If the ranking points or money aren't enough of an incentive to play in a tournament, then that is just an unfortunate fact of life. Top players get paid(and psychologically rewarded) by being healthy for the big tournaments, not by gaining a few extra ranking points.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Maria doesn't need this Tier II. It won't hurt her year any to miss it.
There are much bigger tournaments coming.

darrinbaker00
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:57 AM
from her latest doodle :

DUBAI WITHDRAWAL

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give you a little update on why I had to withdraw this week. First of all I was playing with a bad cold throughout the Doha tournament, but thankfully it held up well enough to keep me playing throughout the week. I flew to Dubai right after my final and woke up this morning feeling really fatigued and stuffed up with a cough. After trying to hit a little bit this evening I came to the conclusion that I'm realistically not going to be ready to play 5 matches in the next 5 days.

It's been such a great and healthy start to the year, and I dont want to jepodize that by making the wrong decisions, as I have in the past. The plan is to have a nice week of 'nothing' and start up training for Palm Springs healthy and fresh.

Once I get home you will all receive a great doodle! Can't tell you how excited I am to have some days off! To all my fans that were going to see me in Dubai...I am really really sorry but the good news is that my career is still very young and I will be back playing in Dubai many more times!!
TRANSLATION: Masha asked for a $500,000 appearance--I mean, promotional fee. The sheikhs said no. Masha caught a cold and pulled out.

mankind
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
An expected and wise decision.

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:00 AM
TRANSLATION: Masha asked for a $500,000 appearance--I mean, promotional fee. The sheikhs said no. Masha caught a cold and pulled out.

OMG:eek::tape:

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM
This Tier II only drew Justine and Maria because of under the table payoffs.
Money doesn't guarantee you're getting the stars you want.

Dave.
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:03 AM
That's a shame because this tournament really could have been significant in terms of what's happening this year. Nearly all of the top players are in Dubai. Had Justine and Maria met in the final, Justine would have the chance to show everyone she's still on top, or Maria would have the chance to really show everyone she's going for number 1 this year with a 2nd win over Justine. Never mind, Justine still has alot of competition.

theFutureisNow
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM

Do you really think Maria plays for money? She is a multi-multi-multimillionaire.

The more likely scenario is that the money they might have offered her meant nothing at all. So she was just weighing the ranking points and prestige of winning a tier 2 versus the potential risk to the rest of her season.

Lucas_Arg
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I think at least Ana plays there, she loves IW as far as I know

He/She said good players :rolleyes:

WIMBLY2004
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Good decision Maria, no way she is going to play 6 out of 7 weeks, that will be too risky for her body, have some well deserved rest and see you in IW.

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
500k is spare change to the shiekhs :p need to find a better method of translation

mckyle.
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM

Did Agi have a cold? You don't truly understand until you try to play tennis with a cough. It's impossible. You can't breathe.

darrinbaker00
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Do you really think Maria plays for money? She is a multi-multi-multimillionaire.
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
If they stopped offering prize money, Maria would stop playing (of course, so would everybody else). Please don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.
The more likely scenario is that the money they might have offered her meant nothing at all. So she was just weighing the ranking points and prestige of winning a tier 2 versus the potential risk to the rest of her season.
What potential risk to the rest of her season? IT'S FEBRUARY, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! You don't really think playing Dubai would hurt her chances of winning Wimbledon or defending the Open, do you? Then again, after what you wrote in the beginning, you probably do, so don't answer that.

Lucas_Arg
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:30 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
If they stopped offering prize money, Maria would stop playing (of course, so would everybody else). Please don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

What potential risk to the rest of her season? IT'S FEBRUARY, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! You don't really think playing Dubai would hurt her chances of winning Wimbledon or defending the Open, do you? Then again, after what you wrote in the beginning, you probably do, so don't answer that.

So why Serena is not going right now? She had entered to three tournaments. We are just in the second month the year...
Maria has a viral illness right now, and Serena could be injured but i'm not judging her, you are.

go hingis
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Has this been confirmed. she's still on the draw. I know they probably just don't want to release the news until the last minute. but I just wanted to check.

Ntour
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM
He/She said good players :rolleyes:

firstly its HE

secondly Ana is a good player

hablo
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Has this been confirmed. she's still on the draw. I know they probably just don't want to release the news until the last minute. but I just wanted to check.

Well the news comes from her own doodle.

Ntour
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Well the news comes from her own doodle.

you mean the doodle she pays some assistant to write :lol:

no just kidding

go hingis
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:34 AM
so I should change my picks, lol.

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Dammit, it's all my fault. I gave away Lena's secret strategy and now TOB is running scared.

(http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=333852&page=3)

hkyen
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Good. She can make rest and take champion on Miami and Indian

theFutureisNow
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:54 AM

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I really don't think she plays for money. She plays because she likes tennis and wants to be the best.

If they stopped offering prize money, the tour would most likely disband since no one but Maria and a few others could still afford to dedicate their lives to tennis. Even then, these few might stop playing since in our status-obsessed culture "prize money" is an indication that an activity is worth excelling at. But the offering prize money question is the wrong one to ask.

The right one is whether Maria would prefer to have money or prestigious wins. Of course they often come together. But this withdrawal and her recent play would seem to support my point. Maria turned down a tournament that was high on pay, but low on prestige. And despite having more money than she will ever need, she has worked very hard to come back from last year and be better than ever.

The risk might not be huge, but it is there. Potentially 10 matches in 11 days, and 6 out of 7 weeks is not a healthy level of tennis. An injury could greatly hurt her chances the rest of the year. She might be especially paranoid since she was hurt last year. Also, the reward is not that high.

darrinbaker00
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:55 AM
So why Serena is not going right now? She had entered to three tournaments. We are just in the second month the year...
Maria has a viral illness right now, and Serena could be injured but i'm not judging her, you are.
Serena is skipping Dubai for the same reason Sharapova is skipping Dubai: the sheikhs aren't making it worth her while.

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:01 AM
What potential risk to the rest of her season? IT'S FEBRUARY, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! You don't really think playing Dubai would hurt her chances of winning Wimbledon or defending the Open, do you? Then again, after what you wrote in the beginning, you probably do, so don't answer that.She learnt the hard way what happens when shes play tired or not fit. If she had a recurrence of her injury it would be highly likely to affect the rest of her season. This is a good move.

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:08 AM

ffs she is one of the top athletes in the game, she stretches 45 minutes after each match alone just to reduce a chance of getting injured and in order to stay on top of her game. And yes I think playing Dubai could compromise her chances at Wimbledon if something went terrible wrong

darrinbaker00
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I really don't think she plays for money. She plays because she likes tennis and wants to be the best.

If they stopped offering prize money, the tour would most likely disband since no one but Maria and a few others could still afford to dedicate their lives to tennis. Even then, these few might stop playing since in our status-obsessed culture "prize money" is an indication that an activity is worth excelling at. But the offering prize money question is the wrong one to ask.

The right one is whether Maria would prefer to have money or prestigious wins. Of course they often come together. But this withdrawal and her recent play would seem to support my point. Maria turned down a tournament that was high on pay, but low on prestige. And despite having more money than she will ever need, she has worked very hard to come back from last year and be better than ever.

The risk might not be huge, but it is there. Potentially 10 matches in 11 days, and 6 out of 7 weeks is not a healthy level of tennis. An injury could greatly hurt her chances the rest of the year. She might be especially paranoid since she was hurt last year. Also, the reward is not that high.
Maria Sharapova is a professional tennis player. That means SHE PLAYS TENNIS FOR MONEY. Whether you agree with it or not, that is an irrefutable fact. Heck, I love what I do for a living, but if people stopped paying me to do it, guess what?

As far as the injury factor goes, Maria runs that risk when she gets up out of bed in the morning, much less whenever she steps on a tennis court. She could have gotten injured in Melbourne, but she didn't. She could have gotten injured last week in Doha, but she didn't. She could have gotten injured while practicing in Dubai, but.....you get the idea.

As far your "money vs. prestige" argument goes, what do you think makes some tournaments more prestigious than others? The trophies?

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Maria Sharapova is a professional tennis player. That means SHE PLAYS TENNIS FOR MONEY. Whether you agree with it or not, that is an irrefutable fact. Heck, I love what I do for a living, but if people stopped paying me to do it, guess what?

As far as the injury factor goes, Maria runs that risk when she gets up out of bed in the morning, much less whenever she steps on a tennis court. She could have gotten injured in Melbourne, but she didn't. She could have gotten injured last week in Doha, but she didn't. She could have gotten injured while practicing in Dubai, but.....you get the idea.

As far your "money vs. prestige" argument goes, what do you think makes some tournaments more prestigious than others? The trophies?

Have you heard about the theory of probabilities?

Each time you go for a winner there is a chance it will be an unforced error. so what? you can always go for another winner. But it doesn't work with health this way.

IT IS TOO LATE when you get injured! So it is all about making sure you have the optimal chances of staying fit.

1. Each time you play you risk getting injured
2. With each consequitive time you play, your chances of getting injured are higher than previous
3. When you play being not entirely fit, your chances of getting injured are higher when playing healthy

Keeping that in mind here is a dilemma.. Is risk worth the gain?

In Maria position the value of prize money and ranking points is becoming less and less relevant than for 99.9% of tour. You are Serena's fan ffs you are supposed to have an insight on this sort of thing...

Svetlana.
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Maria, get some rest and enjoy a Harly Davidson ride :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Go Sveta!!! ...take the advantage of Maria's withdrawal and win the hall thing.

WIMBLY2004
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:17 AM

So there is no such thing as overplay then, why everybody says Jankovic played too much, she has the same chance of getting injury lying on bed or playing 10 consecutive weeks of tennis:lol: Actually everybody should do the same, play as much as they can, the tour will be crowded :eek:

About the prestige, besides money, there are other things like recognition, history, etc., that's why even USO offers more money than Wimbledon, Wimbledon is still a more prestige tournament.

Zauber
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know the exact schedule, but 10 matches in something like 11 or 12 days is a little much for anyone. Maria has already played more than anyone else in the top 10 this year.

I'm sure some people will complain, but it just wasn't in Maria's interest to play this tournament. The risk of injury, an uncharacteristic loss, or fatigue for the upcoming month outweighs any benefit she would have gained from potentially winning a tier 2.

I think if the WTA wants less withdrawals it needs to be a little more accommodating. Either have the upcoming tournament offer a bye to the previous weeks' finalists, or give a "penalty free" withdrawal offer to a player who makes the final the previous week.

Right now I think the withdrawal rules are too biased against the top players. There should be more recognition that it is much tougher to play consecutive tournaments when you are making it to the final rather than losing in the second round. And the players are the only ones looking out for themselves. Few people give you credit for playing in extra tournaments for the fans, but if you get injured or lose early you often get condemned.

If the ranking points or money aren't enough of an incentive to play in a tournament, then that is just an unfortunate fact of life. Top players get paid(and psychologically rewarded) by being healthy for the big tournaments, not by gaining a few extra ranking points.
very well stated

joz
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Wow, I looked at her draw, and said... That's Tough!
I'd have withdrawn too, if I knew I wasn't healthy.
It was a smokin' tough draw for her.
Probably a good decision to pull out.

njnetswill
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Maria wants a slice of that Serena withdrawal pie. Step to this!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Maria withdrew...?? WHAT? :eek:

NO!!!! :sad:

I will never support her again... ever! :(

Just kidding ;)
Get well soon Maria! :hug:

(P.S: By the way, it's Justine's title to lose... maybe they just should give the trophy to her).

Emina.
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Maria :hug: get well soon and enjoy your rest! :D

Tamus
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Maria just copies everything that Serena does, so it should have been obvious that she was going to withdraw. That biatch is so annoying. WANNABE!!!

safinismine
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Shame, Maria. Next time enter only one of them, and not both just to get the payment for promoting the tournment.

Oh, well.

darrinbaker00
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM
She learnt the hard way what happens when shes play tired or not fit. If she had a recurrence of her injury it would be highly likely to affect the rest of her season. This is a good move.
Tired from playing FOURTEEN matches? Please tell me you're joking.

Alex72
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM
She needs to rest up for IW and Miami. Smart move.

*Jean*
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM
So who replaces her ?

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Tired from playing FOURTEEN matches? Please tell me you're joking.Anyone could be tired from 14 matches :p It would depend on how long you took to play them ;) In this case its 5 matches in 5 days accompanied by a cold. She may not necassarily be 'tired' now but adding another possible 5 matches here she may have been feeling it half way through Miami....which is what shes trying to avoid in the end.
Considering how 2007 went fitness-wise and also stages of 2005 I find this cautious approach to be an intelligent move.

Andy.
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:25 AM
It seems that Masha cant do anything right no matter what she does. She is doing what she feels is best for her body after a long week of playing, it would be stupid to put her body on the line and her confidence if she was tired and didnt feel she could be at her best. And there is no comparison with Serena in this case and its laughable to compare the 2's withdrawing. Serena is the perennial withdrawer and doesnt seem to be commited to the game at all which is quite sad to see. Masha pulled out because her body needs rest.

faboozadoo15
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Justine also did it when both draws were 32s and finals were on Saturday. Wed-Sat then 3 full days off then another Wed-Sat.

8 in 11 is different than 10 in 11. I agree with Maria's decision.

Yepp.

10 matches in 11 days at this level is insane and unnecessary at this level. She accomplished enough in the middle east, grabbing the bigger title and the bigger check. Onto the USA, where she'll look to play her best tennis.

faboozadoo15
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM
How come she waited so long to withdraw? :speakles:

A day after she won a tournament? Should she have withdrawn during her acceptance speech in Doha?

martin white
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:32 AM
is akiko morigami in as LL in sharapova;s place? take advantage of your second chance akiko,agnes not playing so great! :)

Ben.
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Well I think its for the best that she doesn't play in Dubai. Her being healthy for IW & Miami is more important & her chances of doing well at these events are pretty good.

Iceland
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:52 AM
OMG Svetlana has now a very easy draw to play the final. It's so disgusting!!! :fiery:

evan2907
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:03 AM
She needs 19 days's rest before IW. She needs this to recover of 5 matchs. :help:

faboozadoo15
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM
She needs 19 days's rest before IW. She needs this to recover of 5 matchs. :help:

If she's got a cold, why should she play a tier 2 where she doesn't even get a BYE right after she won a tier 1? She'd have to play consecutive days in this tourney, and that's just silly.

Neptune
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:21 AM
A top player can't play 2 tournaments in a row.I can't be surprise when people make fun of women's tennis.

freeandlonely
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:26 AM
So who replaces her ?

After 8 pages still no one talk about this.:lol::rolls:

evan2907
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
If she's got a cold, why should she play a tier 2 where she doesn't even get a BYE right after she won a tier 1? She'd have to play consecutive days in this tourney, and that's just silly.

Because she has to honour her commitments. Her illness is totally minor, nothing that can prevent her from playing tennis. And make sports is a catalyst from recovering from a cold.

saniapower
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Because she has won in Doha so she has withdrawn from Dubai. What is the logic behind playing 2 same kind of touraments in successive weeks? Hope she will get well soon.

mashamaniac
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I too hope she'll get well soon...she'll be ready for her 2nd IW title!

mashamaniac
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:56 AM
So will they move nikki's match to centre court instead?

Jachal
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Because she has won in Doha so she has withdrawn from Dubai. What is the logic behind playing 2 same kind of touraments in successive weeks? Hope she will get well soon.

:haha:

Oh, that's a great one!
So U think Maria shouldn't play Indian Wells and Miami, 'coz these are 2 same kind of tournaments in successive weeks...

Cat123
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
It's a shame, but its good to see she's making wise choices and not playing regardless like SOME people (mentioned in my sig) :rolleyes:

Hope she gets nicely rested and ready to kick some more ass!! :devil:

saniapower
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Oh, that's a great one!
So U think Maria shouldn't play Indian Wells and Miami, 'coz these are 2 same kind of tournaments in successive weeks...

absolutely since u have already become champion in one just give others some opportunity and this will again gonna happen there......

Dexter
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Sveta should sent flowers to Maria. And to Li Na too. :tape:Sveta isn't lucky. Maria is chicken.You're more lame than Castano on grass. :tape:

vettipooh
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:06 AM
There weas no sign of any cold while playing Doha :rolleyes: If she had lost the final, she would be playing Dubai. GL to Morigami who took her place.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM
She didn't speak earlier because she went to Dubai and practiced.
I think she saw her draw and quit.
Sveta would have had the honor of first to beat Sharapova in 2008.

betowiec
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Sveta should sent flowers to Maria. And to Li Na too. :tape:You're more lame than Castano on grass. :tape:

yeah..........like that fattie is gonna win it now...........

Filippo-Nastya
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I don't think she was scared to play against Szavay and Mauresmo. :lol:

WIMBLY2004
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Dream on :lol: Don't worry, Kuznetsova will still find a way to f*ck up this cake walk draw presented to her :wavey:

Dan23
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
:spit:
If she was going to quit here wouldnt you have thought she would have been on the first plane out of Melbourne when she saw her draw there? ;)

Effy
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
lot of retarded, angry, jealous posters here.

NeoZod19
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I agree with you 100%, it's just doesn't make sense and I'm sure the event organizer regretted!

Emina.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Dream on :lol: Don't worry, Kuznetsova will still find a way to f*ck up this cake walk draw presented to her :wavey:

i agree :)

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
lot of retarded, angry, jealous posters here.

it's GM and a thread about a popular player lol...that is expected :lol: seeing as all those people IGNORE that she said she can't play another 5 straight matches because she's i'll, not because she can't at all..in 06 didn't she play both? :confused: i could be wrong so i'm open to correction on which year she won doha and then lost to jh in the dubai final....but i'm open to correction on that one

iamme
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:53 AM
They happend in two different years. She won Doha in 2005. and then she played in IW and lost to Lindsay..we all know the result..
and she lost to Henin in Dubai in 2006 but she didn't play in Doha.

btw I'm so sad :crying2:

Rik.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM
:awww: :sad:

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM
goldenlox let sveta beat the likes of bammer or aga and then beat maria:kiss:

svetaisthebest
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:32 PM
OMG Svetlana has now a very easy draw to play the final. It's so disgusting!!! :fiery:

its not her fault that some of her predicted opponents withdrew:rolleyes:

joćo.
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:37 PM
YAY! Great decision, now she won't be all tired when the next and bigger tournaments after Dubai start.

Il Primo!
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:37 PM
its not her fault that some of her predicted opponents withdrew:rolleyes:

It's not the first time Sveta the joke gets an easy draw neitheir.

svetaisthebest
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It's not the first time Sveta the joke gets an easy draw neitheir.

from that post you seem to be a joke too:rolleyes:

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Sharapova isn't 110%, so she went home.

http://www.xpress4me.com/sport/uae/images/08/02/26/sharapova_new_4.jpg
© Reuters
Sharapova looks up during a press conference, to announce her withdrawal from the Dubai Tennis Championships due to a viral illness.
Published: February 26, 2008, 17:44
Sharapova says sorry to Dubai fans

By Rohan Alvares, Sports Reporter

World number five Maria Sharapova apologised to tennis fans that had been waiting for weeks to see the stunning Russian serve up her sizzling groundstrokes at the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championship only to hear of her withdrawal at the 11th hour.

A niggling viral infection that worsened as the Australian Open champion crossed every obstacle at the Qatar Total Open last week, led to Sharapova taking the decision.

But the former world number one said continuous tennis without much rest has taken its toll on her health and left her with little option.

“I’m very sorry I can’t be out there this evening,” said Sharapova. “It’s a crucial part of the year and I really don’t want to jeopardise that by going out on court and not performing at 100 per cent which I don’t feel I am at this point.

“I really hope to be back. The good news is that I’m still going to have many years ahead of me to come to Dubai and to participate in this tournament many more times and I just want to hope the fans will come back and see me.

“But meanwhile enjoy a really good week of tennis.”

Sharapova obviously had her heart set on playing another final as she said: “When you play five matches and you have another five to play with only one day off and a flight [to take], that’s going to take its toll. It’s unfortunate as you always try to do the best you can in order to compete. Personally if I’m not 110 per cent mentally and physically, I don’t feel like I owe it to the fans to go out there and play.”

And the Russian beauty has already come up with the remedy to her illness.

“I’m going to take a week off now. I’m going home and going on a vacation.

“I haven’t really decided [where], just a spontaneous trip where there’s going to be a limited amount of people around and a very limited amount of things to do.

“ Just have a book in front of me and read and just do nothing. That’s my goal for the next week,” she said, with a laugh.

Aravanecaravan
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM

I honestly don't know if you really believe the stuff you post here, but that was pretty funny. Exactly what, in the performances of the two players this season, would lead you to believe that Kuznetsova could take more than a few games off of Maria at present? Sharapova saying that she's sick?

Kuznetsova has one good match this season, that you keep hanging her hat on, the Sydney final, after which she promptly laid an egg at the Australian Open in a draw that was wide open for her, then another against Bammer at Doha. We keep hearing from you how immortal Kuznetsova is, but when is she going to start fulfilling your prophecies? She may have the physical tools, but between the ears she is weak, and until she can string together more than one good match in a row, accumulating points by playing bucketloads of tournaments is about the only way she's going to attain that lofty ranking.

kasia1992
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/r4233453031.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/r3577319409.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/r1777120201.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/r1235218858.jpg

Il Primo!
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:10 PM
from that post you seem to be a joke too:rolleyes:

OK. So tell me what's wrong with my post.:) You're just a bitter, desperate fan of Sveta and can't deal with the truth.

Sharakim
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/r4233453031.jpg:lol:

dya74
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I don't care so much about Kuzzy, but I'm happy for Amelie:)

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm happy for Amelie too she was really unlucky with her draws

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I'm still getting used to this hair style

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/r3577319409.jpg

Russianboy
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
All players should be happy about this withdraw

Emina.
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'm happy for Amelie too she was really unlucky with her draws

same here :)

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Players are competitive. Sveta wants to play her, and she's reading a book.

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Players are competitive. Sveta wants to play her, and she's reading a book. is it because of maria taking a small vacation? She should play only cause sveta wants to play her?:confused:

bellascarlett
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ah finally, Maria gets it. I like the way she's deciding for herself in this case. She's had a great start to the year - unbeaten so far. Going into a tournament sick and going into it having just won a final two days before would have put her at a disadvantage, whether it was at any stage in Dubai or down the road in IW. I had already expressed concern for her schedule. Thinking she was going to play Dubai, I was hoping she would withdraw from Indian Wells. But this is a better decision. I'm sure Maria could have played Dubai...even with a cold/cough, she could have probably still beat some players, get to the final, even win it, who knows. But Maria doesn't enter a tournament to win a couple of matches. She plays to win the title. In this case, she realized she wouldn't have had enough strength and good health to sustain her for another 5 matches in 5 days. She's just trying to learn from some wrong decisions in the past. And I commend her for looking out for herself more. I'm sure she also wants to give herself the best shot of keeping that streak or even this good season alive.

:lol: @ Serena fans whining in here. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have your favorite player withdraw TOO MUCH. It's a disease in Serena's case. Serena's fans should hardly be throwing stones at Maria for this. I think it's been mentioned that Maria has played the most matches so far this year. True or not, the fact is she's played A LOT. But as I said, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for Serena's fans when seeing their fave withdraw is the norm for them. :awww:

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
My point is, players aren't afraid of her, or anyone.
In fact, if you're sick and tired, everyone wants to play you.

bellascarlett
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Too bad Maria wouldn't have the honor of being the first to beat Kuznetsova in 2008. Maria would be like...what?...fourth?! :o

But then I thought Sveta was gonna beat Maria in the Doha final last weekend? You said that last week, didn't you? :tape: But oooops, Sveta went on and lost way before she got to Maria. :sad:

lightningquick
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM
this is why i hate Maria. had the bitch withdrawn a bit earlier, Nicole will take her spot and avoid facing Justine. what a retard! :fiery:

i'll hate you forever Maria. you fucking deserve this! :wavey:

speaking of nicole and maria, have they ever met? who leads the h2h?

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I saw Nicole beat Maria. Nicole was 15.

Russianboy
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I saw Nicole beat Maria. Nicole was 15.

Ivanovic beat djokovic in an exhibition and?

sharapovarulz1
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Too bad Maria wouldn't have the honor of being the first to beat Kuznetsova in 2008. Maria would be like...what?...fourth?!

Haha :lol: that made me chuckle!

debby
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
It's big difference! Justine started her 2007 season in february (b/c divorce she not play Australian tournaments) and Maria have full shedule in January this season - playing AO to end and have FED CUP debut with hard travel to Israel.

This season Henin played in january so she not played both Midle East tournaments - and which is most important, dont forget what is price for her last season two midle east finals in the row - SHE NOT PLAY AT INDIAN WELLS after that (and Maria obviously dont want to repeat that)!

Justine played French Open, one week of rest then Eastbourne and Wimbledon :tape:
In 2006, she won French Open and Eastbourne, and she reached Wimbledon's final.

Maria is an athlet. An athlet is able to play two tournaments in a row, even with a cold. :o

debby
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Sometimes exhibitions are played as real matchs. See the Pova-Henin 's exhibition 2003 :p

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Players are competitive. Sveta wants to play her, and she's reading a book.

So she wants to play only if she's at her 110%? How many tournaments will she play this year? 10? I mean good for her if she can afford to play only when she's in top form, but it's odd:weirdo:

Russianboy
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:26 PM

So she wants to play only if she's at her 110%? How many tournaments will she play this year? 10? I mean good for her if she can afford to play only when she's in top form, but it's odd:weirdo:

players play tournaments to win them and not to reach semi.. maybe the lower players do that. but not the best.

spiritedenergy
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
players play tournaments to win them and not to reach semi.. maybe the lower players do that. but not the best.

well I repeat if she can do that and still win slams and be a top player good on her, it's something only Venus and Serena have done until now:)

iamme
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I don't understand why are the other fans pissed off and so interested in it :scratch: just be happy! Maria won't beat your favourites! they got a chance!:bounce::hehehe:

littlemermaid
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Jeez people are so silly. Just because this is Maria that's withdrawn, had it been svetlana would anyone have really cared this much? and all the criticism is really pathetic. some people need to find hobbies on the outside world..pronto!

jacobruiz
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Aw well, let the other girls havea chance, Maria. ;)
Have a week off and then play four weeks straight! :cool:

random fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Jeez people are so silly. Just because this is Maria that's withdrawn, had it been svetlana would anyone have really cared this much? and all the criticism is really pathetic. some people need to find hobbies on the outside world..pronto!

They hoped for a chance of her being defeated by Justine so that all this "madness" would end and now they will probably have to wait till Miami :lol:

Russianboy
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM
off topic.. where is sweet cleo? :p

Princeza
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I don't understand why are the other fans pissed off and so interested in it :scratch: just be happy! Maria won't beat your favourites! they got a chance!:bounce::hehehe:

:lol: that's it

espresso
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
It doesn't really matter if Pova is there or not ... the fans have the three players that they go there to see which is Justine, Amelie and Jelena ... just watch any match that those 3 play and you will see that the fans go wild for them - so I'm sure the people who go to the tournament do not really care if Maria is there or not. Just watch last years final and the year before and you will see.

svetaisthebest
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
OK. So tell me what's wrong with my post.:) You're just a bitter, desperate fan of Sveta and can't deal with the truth.

and you're just one of those bitter,desperate GM trolls :)

Tamus
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM
off topic.. where is sweet cleo? :p

grounded :lol:

merda2004
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
from her latest doodle :

DUBAI WITHDRAWAL

its ok...she must be tired as well(besides the cold)
and why risk playing and getting worse?better go home and rest.i like maria...she is getting better and better each time...will this be a masha year?maybe

Slumpsova
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
STFU will you?

Russianboy
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
STFU will you?

:hearts:

jonny84
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Shame for Maria. It could have been a good chance for Szavay, but instead Morigami has profited.

Helaena
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
It doesn't really matter if Pova is there or not ... the fans have the three players that they go there to see which is Justine, Amelie and Jelena ... just watch any match that those 3 play and you will see that the fans go wild for them - so I'm sure the people who go to the tournament do not really care if Maria is there or not. Just watch last years final and the year before and you will see.

a lot of people were pissed... ;)

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
:hearts:
I know:hearts: ..TunaSzavayTunaSova:hearts:

Bruno71
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Shame for Maria. It could have been a good chance for Szavay, but instead Morigami has profited.

But more likely it would've been a complete drubbing for Szavay...who I happen to really like, but obviously would've had no chance in that match the way she's been playing.

goldenlox
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Most players if they are ill, they show up, lose and go home.
Maria is in a position to do things her way.

WTA rules stipulate that it is mandatory for players to turn up at the tournament venue if their retirement is not made public before the Saturday prior to the start of the event.
They also need to have a full medical done by the official ATP or WTA Tour doctor before the announcement is made public.

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM
wow goldenlox you have all the info

Slumpsova
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I know:hearts: ..TunaSzavayTunaSova:hearts:
i'm pretty upset that you removed my quote from your siggie. who the hell is your new guy? :(

slamchamp
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM
i'm pretty upset that you removed my quote from your siggie. who the hell is your new guy? :( :lol: well It's like the "quote of the week" so I put a different everytime:lol: . I don't remember who wrote it, but it will never be better than your badrep:hearts:;)