PDA

View Full Version : Jankovic to play Bangalore Open.....

plantman
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Jankovic confirms for Bangalore Open

February 25, 2008 16:43 IST

The Bangalore Open has received another boost with Serbian world number four Jelena Jankovic confirming her participation in the tennis tournament to be held in Bangalore from March 3-9.

Other top guns that this $ 600,000 Tier II WTA event has already attracted include Williams sisters -- Serena and Venus, Switzerland's [Images] Patty Schnyder and Agnes Szavay of Hungary.

An entertainer with a never-say-die spirit, 22-year-old Jankovic reached semi-finals of the US Open in 2006 and the same stage at both the 2007 French and 2008 Australian Opens.

"She (Jankovic) is considered one of the toughest players in the game and as the top-ranked player here, she will start as one of the favourites but with such strong opposition it will be a test of her character and skill to capture the title," Tournament Director and Secretary of Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association, Sunder Raju, told reporters.

Jankovic said she was looking forward to playing a tough tournament in Bangalore.

"It is great to be part of India's first Tier II tennis extravaganza at Bangalore. I look forward to play some tough tennis in front of a passionate lovers of the sport," she said in a statement issued.

Known for her defensive abilities and footwork, she won the first Grand Slam title of her career in mixed doubles at Wimbledon 2007.

The winner of the Bangalore Open, to be staged at the KSLTA Kingfisher Stadium, would take home $ 95,500 and 300 WTA points.

jonny84
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Jankovic :hug:

Playing three weeks in a row........and then Indian Wells and Mimai :eek:

I'm sure you know what you are doing Jelena....

felipe2004
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Doha-Dubai-Bangalore-IW-Miami. Two weeks without playing (Paris and Antwerp) was too much for Jankovic, she is compensating the lost time now! ;)

Filippo-Nastya
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
At the end of 2007, she said that she would have played less tournament this year...
:tape:

In The Zone
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I don't see the big deal here.
At Indian Wells and Miami, you play every other day.
Indian Wells and Miami don't begin until the Wednesday of the 1st week. Meaning seeds don't play until Friday or Saturday. Jelena has the Sunday of Bangalore to at least the Friday of Indian Wells and then every other day off. Not that big of a deal. Travelling from Dubai to Bangalore is not far.

Helaena
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:41 PM
JJ :confused: you're sure about this?

Pasta-Na
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM
for god's sakes... she just wont change :o

heart
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
you're doing it again jj...just like last year..get some rest!! :(

Peterk07
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Well. What? She has already told you, she's just practicing. :lol:

Harvs
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
stupidos

The Kaz
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Indian Wells and Miami don't begin until the Wednesday of the 1st week. Meaning seeds don't play until Friday or Saturday. Jelena has the Sunday of Bangalore to at least the Friday of Indian Wells and then every other day off. Not that big of a deal. Travelling from Dubai to Bangalore is not far.

Agreed :yeah:

Serve_volley
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
She's fine, I'm surprised she has Indian Wells on the list though, a lot of the women tend to withdraw from the desert..if Jankovic doesn't make it far in Bangalore she'll be fired to make up some ground.

goldenlox
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Vera is playing there too. Could be a decent field

Slutati
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Of course she is playing.She is Jelena Jankovic

racketspeed
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
ive got a feeling the tour has asked her to play knowing serena isnt going to turn up. We all know jelena by now, she finds it hard to say no.

santhuruu
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
yes that was what I was thinking too since Serena withdrew from the last three tournaments she was supposed to play. But if Serena plays I hope she will be on the opposite side of the draw. Cause an all williams final would be great. I hope Serena could meet Jelena in the semi-final and perhaps Venus in the final:angel:

Cp6uja
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM
In The Zone and Jelena Jankovic is smart, and all other WTAworld.com members and rest of TOP100 WTA players which dont want to play 7 straight weeks in the row (Doha-Miami) is stupid.

If you play every week you have chance every week to reach some title, some money, some points, to see efery week new countries, cities, peoples... so playing every week strategy is double smarter tactics than formula "one week play, another week rest" which use all elite players in last 100 years (except supersmart JJ of course).

CosmicDefender
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:27 PM
JeleTard.

frontier
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I hope that running around will hatch a slam anytime soon.I think she doesnt have big endorsement deals otherwise she wouldnt be running around like that plus she has to feed that large entourage she has.

Belco
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
good luck jeco

hotandspicey
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
In The Zone and Jelena Jankovic is smart, and all other WTAworld.com members and rest of TOP100 WTA players which dont want to play 7 straight weeks in the row (Doha-Miami) is stupid.

If you play every week you have chance every week to reach some title, some money, some points, to see efery week new countries, cities, peoples... so playing every week strategy is double smarter tactics than formula "one week play, another week rest" which use all elite players in last 100 years (except supersmart JJ of course).

Read what you said when Sharapova pulled out of Dubai. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :tape:

Direwolf
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM
go JJ
lose to a williams

RJWCapriati
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
What happened to only playing Tier I's and Grand Slams Jelena??

:p

Of course Jelena is going to play a lot again, its obviously what she loves to do!

Cp6uja
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Read what you said when Sharapova pulled out of Dubai. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :tape:Yes, but now i self-correct my oppinion - i realize that playing every possible week is best tennis strategy for TOP players (which always reach atleast QF/SF round of every tournament). All this players, coaches, doctors, experts is stupid (except Jelena Jankovic)... Especialy is good for player if she must week by week to totaly change her location (for example one week to Australia, next week in Europe, next two weeks/tournaments in Midle East, than travel to India, than go to USA...etc) b/c except possibility to reach some success every week, player have bonus posibility to discover new cultures.

Dodoboy.
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:26 PM
:woohoo:

Destiny
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah She's Goin Can't Wait To See Her
Yes, Back To Good Ole Tennis Watching

Bruno71
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM
From JJ's blog:
I will try to work very hard on and off the court to get back in shape and form as soon as possible, and start producing some quality tennis. I also feel like I need more matches so for that matter I decided to take part in the tournament next week that is played in Bangalore, India.

I guess 2 weeks off is just too much :shrug: