PDA

View Full Version : Match Reports From Memphis! (BSM, LD/LR, and more!)

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Okay so I left later this morning than I meant to but I actually got to the tournament at exactly 10 o'clock so it worked out well. The first match I went to see was BIG BAD BRENDA against Ostertag.

BSM Def. Ostertag 6-2 6-2

I have to say Brenda was not big or bad in this match at all. She hit a grand total of two top spin forehands the entire match, and 0 top spin backhands. She also hit about 10 serves the entire match over 100 miles an hour. That being said, she was still fun to watch, and what she did was more than enough to kick Ostertag's ass. To be honest Ostertag was never in this match and never looked competitive. I think she hit one good backhand winner and two really good serves and apart from that she just a big bag of nothing. Brenda sliced and diced her enough, and Ostertag didn't have enough power to overwhelm Brenda or enough patience to outlast her. Majority of the crowd (small as it was) seemed to be rooting for Brenda on this one. By the way Ostertag definitely needs to work on her mental game...she's actually got a pretty good serve, but the first three times (out of five) that Brenda broke her serve all ended with double faults by Ostertag. In fact, in the first game she did it twice in a row to give the game to Brenda.

I saw a couple games of Lisicki and Jidkova...I was quite impressed with Lisicki. Alina was playing pretty well but Lisicki was just plain better. Jidkova was playing a very good retrieving game and Lisicki was just giving her everything back with interest, and Alina couldn't handle it. She gave up completely in the last game.

Saw a couple of games of Logar/Erakovic and this was the best quality match that I saw in the qualifying (though Lisicki/Jidkova was pretty good quality too). Logar has talent but you could definitely tell who was the pro in this match and who was the noob. Logar just couldn't keep her emotions in check very well or keep her concentration and I think that was the biggest difference between the two in this match.

Kvitova - Scheepers...I saw a couple games of this match and that was ENOUGH. Scheepers was just plain mediocre and not doing anything at all...Kvitova would play one good point and then two or three shitty ones. Definitely wasn't interested in hanging around for this one.

Ani - Voracova... I only saw the second set and the beginning of the third but this was definitely an entertaining match...not sure how Voracova won the first set 6-3 because these two were very evenly matched. Voracova was a bit more of a Big Babe and Ani a bit more of a retriever, but overall pretty similar. Not really sure what else to say about this match. :p

Arvidsson - Bremond... This match was largely about how Bremond was playing. In the beginning of the first set they were pretty close and then Bremond raised her game a notch and went up to 5-3. She then proceded to suck up the place and it went back to 5-5. From there both players raised their game a little bit and Arvidsson pulled it out. The second was largely the same story with Sofia playing consistently well and Bremond jumping around playing well and crapping out for a while. This time Bremond managed to pull it out in a close set. As for the third set...I didn't see so I don't know. But I imagine Bremond just went walk-about for the entire set. Bremond has a very very pretty one-handed top spin backhand, and she just looked very...French. Also she seemed to be a bit bitchy...nothing really bad or anything, just had a bit of an attitude with the umps/ballboys.

Lindsay D./Lisa R. Def. Erakovic/Baker 6-0 6-0. OUCH...just ouch. Lindsay Davenport and Lisa Raymond just crushed these two girls from New Zealand. Someone in another thread said it was closer than the score indicates and...no, it wasn't. The two L's were simply never challeneged in this back, and while Leanne and Marina didn't exactly play poorly, the two L's are simply at another level altogether from them. The Lindsay played very solid and well all-around and Lisa was good all-around too, except she seemed a little rusty in the first game or two, and doesn't have the best return of serve. She's also let herself go a little...her volleying and racquet skills don't seem to have diminished but she's definitely got the "thunder thighs" look going on.

Angela Haynes and Mashona Washintong Def. Osterloh/Dubois
I was definitely cheering for Lilliah and Stephanie in this match, mostly just because the majority of the crowd in Memphis was cheering for Angie and Mashona...the disparity in cheering was really a little bit ridiculous - pretty much dead silence when O/D won a point except for me and one little old asian lady that was there. Also I'm pretty sure O/D are actually the better doubles players (as far as technical skills go) but they just made a big mistake in tactics by letting it be too much of a baseline-to-baseline game, especially when Angela was at the baseline - they just couldn't win that fight. The crowd also helped H/W a lot too. Mashona was definitely the weak link in the chain - there were large patches where Angela simply didn't get to play because O/D were concentrating everything at Mashona. At one point she hit two overheads in a row in a point and O/D ended up winning the point because she just couldn't put it away. That happened numerous times with her. By the way, Angela was definitely the most attractive girl I saw there today (not that I'm interested in girls, but still...). The only guy player I really saw was Muller who was okay looking (his opponent, not so much). Random aside - Lindsay Davenport's legs look very similar to Brenda Schultz-McCarthy's.

Feedback appreciated. Any questions, comments?

In The Zone
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Awh, thanks! Hope you had a good time. Take pictures!

Tomorrow has a great lineup. Will you be going? How does Lindsay look, fitness wise?

Mana
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Awesome report :) Please, how did Leanne play? Was she serving okay?

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Awh, thanks! Hope you had a good time. Take pictures!

Tomorrow has a great lineup. Will you be going? How does Lindsay look, fitness wise?

No camera, sorry! As of now, I am planning to go to the night session tomorrow...so should see BSM's next match and Lindsay. As for her fitness...dunno really. She looked in good shape, no visible stomach bumps or anything haha. It's kinda of hard to judge that in doubles, especially with how easy this doubles match was.

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Awesome report :) Please, how did Leanne play? Was she serving okay?

Well like I said both her and Marina were playing decently, they were just a big level below Lindsay and Lisa. I think I remember Leanne's serve games being a little more vulnerable than Marina's, but there certainly weren't a large number of double faults or anything like that.

Slutati
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Great report:yeah:Are you gonna go see Tati:p

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Great report:yeah:Are you gonna go see Tati:p

Unfortunately no, tomorrow will be the last day I go. :(

Renalicious
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Muller is a guy?

-sugi-
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:17 AM

cheo23
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Was Theresa FIst-Pumping and Cursing at Herself ALL The time :lol: And why is she a noob????

And Did you say Hi to Lindsay for me or Get her Autograph??????

matanuriel
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks! Did you see Shahar?

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
great report :yeah:

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Muller is a guy?

G. Muller is :p

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Was Theresa FIst-Pumping and Cursing at Herself ALL The time :lol: And why is she a noob????

And Did you say Hi to Lindsay for me or Get her Autograph??????

She's a noob because she's much more inexperienced than Erakovic is. And no I didn't get Big L's autograph...there were way too many little kids around trying to get it, I don't have patience for that.

mr-bean007
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks a lot for the report! :)

Tanja:hug::awww:
Sabine :angel: I hope she can continue like this.

Will you see Sabine against Davenport tonight?

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
It's not 100% that I'm going tonight, but it is very probable...and if I do go, I will see Davenport/Lisicki.

mr-bean007
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM
It's not 100% that I'm going tonight, but it is very probable...and if I do go, I will see Davenport/Lisicki.

That would be great if you could give us a match report of that!:bounce: and may be some pics.:)