PDA

View Full Version : Henin-Hardenne def. Sharapova 1-6 7-6 (14-12) 7-6 (7-5) whilst saving 8 matchpoints

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Okay, when and where did this sh!t happen?????? :eek:

I saw their "first" encounter in Miami years ago, which went to three sets. And now after they have played 9 matches I find out that it wasn't really the first!! :lol: amazing. I understand that it was probably an exo, but with such scoreline it was probably a quite competitive match after all :help:

tucker1989
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Where did this score come from?

hingisGOAT
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:07 AM
It was an exhibition in December 2003 I believe. I would have liked to see it for sure...

Junex
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I think it was during one of Justine's charity exhibition event held in Belgium...

I think it was in 2003.....
I am not so sure though..............

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:12 AM
hah hilarious thread :lol:

http://www.wtaworld.com/archive/index.php/t-97145.html

it is amazing what you can sometimes dig up in the archives. bandabou, GoDominique, TheBoiledEgg, goldenlox lol guys. who could have thought that their rivalry started way before thier first match lmao

Sharakim
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:13 AM
A harbringer to the awesome rivalry that was to come! :)

XaDavK_Kapri
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:39 AM
hah hilarious thread :lol:

it is amazing what you can sometimes dig up in the archives. bandabou, GoDominique, TheBoiledEgg, goldenlox lol guys. who could have thought that their rivalry started way before thier first match lmao
OMG I was rooting for Maria in that thread :speakles: Damn I hated Juju with a passion back then ! :haha: I've mellowed over the years ;)

eck
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM
:eek:
Didn't know about this match. :p

Derek.
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I remember hearing about this.
Sharapova left the court pissed off.

Didn't sign any autographs even though it was an exhibition. :help:

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I remember hearing about this.
Sharapova left the court pissed off.

Can you blame her lol? Maria had just won her first two 2 ever tournaments in Sep-Oct 2003, probably confident as hell, in-form, eager to challenge top-players and test her abilities, got an opportunity to play Justine Henin who has just won French Open and US Open this same year, among other tournaments. And imagine Justine - 2 times grand slam champion - being blown out by imprudent 16 year old in front of the home crowd? :haha: this could have been an exhibition, but it was for real for these too. I wonder whose idea it was to invite Maria to Belgium. No wonder she never played in Belgium since then :lol:

nelsondan
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Posted December 24, 2003:

I hope Maria doesn't get burned out too quickly, she seems so motivated now, and she's really working so hard.
But will she still do this in 5 years when she has all the publicity Anna Kournikova has now?

We will just have to stay tuned and find out.

Junex
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:25 AM
A harbringer to the awesome rivalry that was to come! :)

that was the start of my Justine-Maria love affair....
sadly, it had to end and i have to choose just one...

morningglory
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Well, look how far both have come since then...

Renalicious
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Omg, Maria.... :tape:

Dave.
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM

If that's true, then Maria has no class. :o I don't care if you're 16 or whatever, that is just plain rude. :help:

natacha1
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
OOh yes, I remember that match, I was there live supporting for Justine. Sharapova really was pissed off, she did not even come back for the prices, and the presentator said that she was washing her hair. :) Also Dechy and mauresmo where there.
I dont think Sharapova will ever come back to belgian.

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM
OOh yes, I remember that match, I was there live supporting for Justine. Sharapova really was pissed off, she did not even come back for the prices, and the presentator said that she was washing her hair. :) Also Dechy and mauresmo where there.

Damn it. I envy you so much! Where could I possible get this match? :help:

Greenout
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM

I heard all the "stories" about what really happened. Justine was honored a week before with her Yannick Noah exhibition. This Charleroi exhibition was to top off her year- the whole event was in celebration of Justine's 2003.

It's an exhibition - Christmas time, and if you are a guest in the home country it's sort of understood that the big named "player" is given the match.

Amelie and Dechy played- but it's was hit and fun stuff. Nothing serious. Justine was goofing off, smiling at the camera's while Sharapova actually played real points. Justine won the next two sets, and played real points RTBF ran over time, and didn't show the rest of the match.

Maria cried after she lost, and left the venue! Went back to the hotel. Amelie and Nat Dechy couldn't believe it and felt weirdly embarrassed and peeved about the faux pas. Amelie received a bottle of wine for her collection and Nathalie won a bike. LOL

Justine was really cool about this and told the Belgian media, she's (Maria) young, doesn't like to lose. It's ok. But I heard that Amelie and Nat Dechy weren't too impressed with Maria's attitude. Leaving the venue - flat out like that after she lost. This was an exhibition mind you. There's an official dinner after trophy presentations for all the VIP's with the players!!!!

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I guess now we know why Justine is always so motivated during matches with Maria, even on clay. She made sure to never underestimate her. I guess she had an inward laugh after Maria's first slam next year

Sharakim
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I heard all the "stories" about what really happened. Justine was honored a week before with her Yannick Noah exhibition. This Charleroi exhibition was to top off her year- the whole event was in celebration of Justine's 2003.

It's an exhibition - Christmas time, and if you are a guest in the home country it's sort of understood that the big named "player" is given the match.

Amelie and Dechy played- but it's was hit and fun stuff. Nothing serious. Justine was goofing off, smiling at the camera's while Sharapova actually played real points. Justine won the next two sets, and played real points RTBF ran over time, and didn't show the rest of the match.

Maria cried after she lost, and left the venue! Went back to the hotel. Amelie and Nat Dechy couldn't believe it and felt weirdly embarrassed and peeved about the faux pas. Amelie received a bottle of wine for her collection and Nathalie won a bike. LOL

Justine was really cool about this and told the Belgian media, she's (Maria) young, doesn't like to lose. It's ok. But I heard that Amelie and Nat Dechy weren't too impressed with Maria's attitude. Leaving the venue - flat out like that after she lost. This was an exhibition mind you. There's an official dinner after trophy presentations for all the VIP's with the players!!!!I guess Justine learned that when Sharapova's not joking she's seriously not joking.

Greenout
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I guess Justine learned that when Sharapova's not joking she's seriously not joking.

Really. But Justine was really cool & understanding about it. She told the Belgian media that she was like that as a top ranked 16 year junior too. Very serious about every match.

espresso
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I guess Justine learned that when Sharapova's not joking she's seriously not joking.

True, but I also guess Sharapova learned that when Justine wants to win she seriously wants to win.

bellascarlett
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM

OMG I didn't even know they played such a match before...:eek: :lol: But gosh, just reading the replies from that original post...as a fan, I can't help but be a little affected. :tape: Masha, you should have won that match! :o 8 matchpoints...both in the second and third set...and people here wonder why she cried?! :lol: That was a 16 year old ideal girl with much hunger for tennis success being THIS close to beating the number one player in the world. I know it's an exhibition but obviously as the score indicates, it turned out not to be much of one. Anyway, this is why Maria has turned out the way she has. It's kinda cute the way she took it so seriously. :tape: The attitude and desire have always been there.

:haha: @ bandabou and to all those who said Maria wasn't gonna challenge the best. One even doubted Maria's chances to be number 1 in two years...well that's exactly when she became number one. :yippee: Nice surprise to see Faboo as much a Maria supporter then as he is now. :)

Imagine if this kind of match happened now between Masha & Justine. A 14-12 tiebreak! :hearts: But of course I want a Maria win. :p

Sharakim
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
True, but I also guess Sharapova learned that when Justine wants to win she seriously wants to win.That's what I love about their matches, in form or not there is always a cut throat battle! :worship:

bellascarlett
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
True, but I also guess Sharapova learned that when Justine wants to win she seriously wants to win.

Well I don't know about that...especially now. Bagel ring a bell? :tape:

Most recent lesson: if they want to win, they are gonna have to play damn well against the other.

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Bagel ring a bell? :tape:

well that really wasn't necessary ;) I guess that ivanovic troll really got the better of you :lol:

Dan23
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM
OMG I didn't even know they played such a match before...:eek: :lol: But gosh, just reading the replies from that original post...as a fan, I can't help but be a little affected. :tape: Masha, you should have won that match! :o 8 matchpoints...both in the second and third set...and people here wonder why she cried?! :lol: That was a 16 year old ideal girl with much hunger for tennis success being THIS close to beating the number one player in the world. I know it's an exhibition but obviously as the score indicates, it turned out not to be much of one. Anyway, this is why Maria has turned out the way she has. It's kinda cute the way she took it so seriously. :tape: The attitude and desire have always been there.

:haha: @ bandabou and to all those who said Maria wasn't gonna challenge the best. One even doubted Maria's chances to be number 1 in two years...well that's exactly when she became number one. :yippee: Nice surprise to see Faboo as much a Maria supporter then as he is now. :)

Imagine if this kind of match happened now between Masha & Justine. A 14-12 tiebreak! :hearts: But of course I want a Maria win. :p
yeah she would probably be embarassed by this now but young players tend to act like young players :lol:

Maria is good but there's nothing special about her. She holds a lot of promise but I don't see her challenging the top players in real tournies or being number 1 two years from now. No.:hehehe:

espresso
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well I don't know about that...especially now. Bagel ring a bell? :tape:

Most recent lesson: if they want to win, they are gonna have to play damn well against the other.

Correct - you don't know about that! You, being a Maria fan should know about bagels - IW ring a bell? :tape:

Maria has won 2 tournaments and you are delusional already :help: Maria is playing well, but let's see if she can keep it up all year before you start with your bragging rights :rolleyes:

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Correct - you don't know about that! You, being a Maria fan should know about bagels - IW ring a bell? :tape:

Maria has won 2 tournaments and you are delusional already :help: Maria is playing well, but let's see if she can keep it up all year before you start with your bragging rights :rolleyes:

And here it goes :lol: GET OUT OF MY THREAD! Both of you :lol:

slamchamp
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Maria has won 2 tournaments and you are delusional already :help: Maria is playing well, but let's see if she can keep it up all year before you start with your bragging rights :rolleyes: she didn't played justine there :shrug: ..what does IW have to do with it?

espresso
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
she didn't played justine there :shrug: ..what does IW have to do with it?

Maria knows what it's like to have a bagel ... oops double-bagel :lol:

bellascarlett
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Of course here I am thinking this thread is about Justine and Maria. :tape:

And WTH are you angry about? I think it's perfectly fine to say Justine & Maria need to play well to beat each other. Sorry for being a bit more objective and showing respect to both players' abilities. I only mentioned the bagel to drill some reality in you that Maria has beaten Justine before and she can win if she seriously wants it too. I surely don't see anything wrong with seeing it from both sides. :confused:

Dan23
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Maria knows what it's like to have a bagel ... oops double-bagel :lol:...and your point is?

leave random fan's thread alone :p

random fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Maria knows everything about bagels okay? That's why she is so good at distributing them :lol:

slamchamp
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
and? navratilova too so I don't get your point

espresso
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Of course here I am thinking this thread is about Justine and Maria. :tape:

And WTH are you angry about? I think it's perfectly fine to say Justine & Maria need to play well to beat each other. Sorry for being a bit more objective and showing respect to both players' abilities. I only mentioned the bagel to drill some reality in you that Maria has beaten Justine before and she can win if she seriously wants it too. I surely don't see anything wrong with seeing it from both sides. :confused:

Apology accepted!

Serenidad.
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Justine was really cool about this and told the Belgian media, she's (Maria) young, doesn't like to lose. It's ok. But I heard that Amelie and Nat Dechy weren't too impressed with Maria's attitude. Leaving the venue - flat out like that after she lost. This was an exhibition mind you. There's an official dinner after trophy presentations for all the VIP's with the players!!!!

Amelie Mauresmo would have cried and acted in a similar manner.

justine schnyder
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
WTF???
Alezz Justine I guess?

Smackie
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM
OMG, forgot about that match. Didn't watch it but remember the drama. Surely Yuri would have told Maria that, in an exo match, always let the host player win?!?!?!

Good on Maria for wanting to win over Justine before a Belgian crowd. It proves she is always hungry for victory.

Maria went on to win Wimbledon the next year and set to have a great year this year, Amelie won two GS titles at Justine's expense and Justine enoyed consecutive RG victories and a great 2007. I really wouldn't mind seeing these three dominating the tour over and over again.

Allez-H
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Man, I remember watching that match. That was one crazy competitive exo.

Justine kept saving MP after MP and she'd display these tiny laughs that she just couldn't believe what was happening.

And poor Maria was heartbroken at the time. But what can you expect from a 16 year old girl who was 8 times on the verge of beating the world number one at home :p

Mileen
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM

No, the Women's Tennis Trophy is held every year.

I was just visiting this very page on Justine's site when this thread showed up! :eek:

http://www.justine-henin.be/public/matchOthers.asp?lang=en

Some non-WTA events from this page:

Women's Tennis Trophy, Belgium (Justine 16 :eek:)
24-01-1999 F: Won vs Nathalie Tauziat 7-6 6-4 :eek:
23-01-1999 SF: Won vs Alexandra Fusai 6-1 6-0

Fed Cup 1, Holland (Justine 16)
18-04-1999 QF: Won vs Amanda Hopmans 6-4 6-3
17-04-1999 QF: Won vs Miriam Oremans 5-7 7-5 6-3

Brilliant Games, Belgium
14-11-2001 Lost vs Kim Clijsters 4-6 2-6

Women's Tennis Trophy 2, Belgium (which means her 2nd entry)
16-12-2001 F: Won vs Amélie Mauresmo 6-1 7-6
15-12-2001 SF: Won vs Nathalie Tauziat 2-6 6-2 6-2

Brilliant Games 2, Belgium
13-11-2002 Lost vs Kim Clijsters 1-6 4-6

Women's Tennis Trophy 3, Belgium
15-12-2002 F: Lost vs Nathalie Dechy 3-6 3-6
14-12-2002 SF: Won vs Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 6-2 6-4

Women's Tennis Trophy 4, Belgium
21-12-2003 F: Won vs Maria Sharapova 1-6 7-6 (14/12) 7-6 (7/5)
20-12-2003 SF: Won vs Nathalie Dechy 3-6 6-3 6-4

Women's Tennis Trophy 5, Belgium
19-12-2004 2nd: Lost vs Elena Dementieva 2-6 7-5 2-6
18-12-2004 1st: Lost vs Nathalie Dechy 2-6 5-7

This incident with Sharapova crying and being angry definately proofs exhibitions are indeed being taken seriously by the players, certainly by Sharapova, unlike Masha fans tried to claim when she lost twice from Kim at the Hongkong final :rolleyes: Which is logical, of course they wanne win.

Thieving Magpie
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm curious about Justine and Maria's relationship. They patted each others shoulders after the last two matches. I've never seen Sharapova doing this to another player. Is this just show? I kinda hoped they'd get along?

Greenout
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
No, the Women's Tennis Trophy is held every year.

I was just visiting this very page on Justine's site when this thread showed up! :eek:

You don't understand my English. The 2003 event was based around Justine - and the event wasn't played every year. There was no event in 2005 due to certain reasons that you should know. ;)

LCS
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Women's Tennis Trophy 5, Belgium
19-12-2004 2nd: Lost vs Elena Dementieva 2-6 7-5 2-6

:worship::devil:

Slutati
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Sharapova cried:eek:I don't believe it that must've been her twin sister or something.