PDA

View Full Version : WWW Memphis Round 1: V.Williams vs. Kvitova

vw.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Venus had a pretty bad loss last week, and might be suffering from some mild jetlag coming back to the states from Qatar.
I don't know much about Kvitova, but she seems like she'd be someone that could trouble Venus if she was off.

Does she have any chance?

.Andrew.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:07 AM
If Venus is off, watch out. :help:
I was really hoping Venus or Lindsay wouldn't draw Petra or Sabine and of course they both drew them. :o

But I think Venus will step it up and take this one in straights. :)

danieln1
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Venus of course, 6-2 6-3

Derek.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Kvitova has a big game, and will be in with a chance if Venus is making errors.

But since this is indoors, I expect Venus to play better and win.
Especially considering she's playing a slow ball-basher instead of a counter-puncher.

-VSR-
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Venus, 6-2 6-1.

sunsfuns
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Venus will win easily.

I've never seen Kvitova, but from what I have read she is not the type of player who tend to bother Venus.

sky20748
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:30 AM
i just want venus to get her confidence back to that higher level and stop letting these girls beat her.because what happens is the girls go balls out and then lose in the next round.venus needs to be patient and tactical.she needs to watch the ball more and tighten up on her strokes and more importantly believe in her strokes.

K-Dog
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Okay people, it was windy. How many other seeds lost early in Doha when it was super windy? Many. In fact Maria was the only player of any caliber standing in the last four. Give it a break. Wind is the greatest equalizer and it showed last Thursday. Venus will be fine in this match. It's indoors and Venus is pretty good indoors if you ask me.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:18 AM
vee in 2

darrinbaker00
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Okay people, it was windy. How many other seeds lost early in Doha when it was super windy? Many. In fact Maria was the only player of any caliber standing in the last four. Give it a break. Wind is the greatest equalizer and it showed last Thursday. Venus will be fine in this match. It's indoors and Venus is pretty good indoors if you ask me.
Since Dominika Cibulkova is far less experienced than Venus, I would think that she would have had more problems with the wind, but that's just me. ;)

Meanwhile, back on topic.....Venus should win this match in less than an hour. Anything less, in my opinion, should be considered a failure.

K-Dog
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Since Dominika Cibulkova is far less experienced than Venus, I would think that she would have had more problems with the wind, but that's just me. ;)

Meanwhile, back on topic.....Venus should win this match in less than an hour. Anything less, in my opinion, should be considered a failure.

Yeah, but Dominika's game is much more suited to the wind (counter-puncher vs. all-around aggressive). It is impossible to play the kind of tennis that Venus plays in wind gusting mightily. Her strengths were all taken away. Her serve and big groundstrokes are neutralized by the wind. What makes Venus and all the other top players good is the fact that their games are bigger than the rest of the field. The rest of the girls don't have the weapons to hurt the top players. In wind, all those tools are diminished and there is an equal playing field.

I agree that Venus should have adjusted, but unfortunately, she didn't. She might have tried, but at the end of the day, Dominika played out of her mind, and there was little the Venus could do out there. You can't expect Venus, at 27 going on 28 years of age, to adjust her game completely and do a 180. That isn't going to happen at this stage.

Some players always hate wind no matter how experienced they are. For example, Lindsay Davenport and Justine Henin would skip Miami (and Canada in Lindsay's case) if they could. One of the reasons: the wind. I've been playing the game for years now and I will still avoid playing in the wind at all cost. I don't gain anything from it and it's all about luck. The winner usually depends on which way the wind blows that day. Not to say that people who hate wind don't ever win in it, but the fact that there is an element that is completely out of their hands drives people nuts, including myself.

Rtael
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I really don't agree regarding the wind and aggressive players versus counter-punchers. Counter punchers don't hit the ball as hard and therefore the wind affects it more...power players should be the ones who have it easier.

That being said Venus in two EASY sets. From what I saw of Kvitova today, this is not going to be much of a match.

mckyle.
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Venus had a pretty bad loss last week, and might be suffering from some mild jetlag coming back to the states from Qatar.

Excuse already prepared :hearts:

Brilliant!

K-Dog
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I really don't agree regarding the wind and aggressive players versus counter-punchers. Counter punchers don't hit the ball as hard and therefore the wind affects it more...power players should be the ones who have it easier.

That being said Venus in two EASY sets. From what I saw of Kvitova today, this is not going to be much of a match.

Okay, let me explain this to you. First off. The pros, even the "counter-punchers," hit the ball very hard. So wind isn't going to affect their shots like it would an amateur with no power.

Aggressive players rely on their timing. Hitting the ball as hard as they do is very difficult to do in windy conditions and often times you can't hit the ball very hard because it will either fly or get knocked down into the net. Venus isn't a player with a whole lot of margin. Her shots are pretty flat. Wind is the last thing that you want when your shots don't have a lot of margin. That's why Lindsay, Maria (remember IW 2005?), and Venus all tend to struggle in the wind. It isn't a conspiracy that almost all the top players lost in the first couple of rounds in Doha when the winds were at their worst.

Players like Dominika rely on their opponent doing a lot of the work for them on the court. They rely on errors, poor/not confident approach shots setting up the pass, and players reverting to game plans they aren't comfortable with. Dominika is a good mover. She covers the court well and counters the power nicely. She herself is playing at her best when she isn't giving anything to her opponents. In the wind, her opponent is giving her a lot with errors due to the difficult conditions. She gains confidence from this and her opponent quickly becomes negative. That's why Dominika and players like her feed off of the windy conditions.

I don't like excuses, but Venus is a human. There are going to be days when things don't go your way. Last Thursday was a good example.

santhuruu
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I think Venus will be able to step up in her game since there isn't any influence of the wind. So the serve should go a lot better in this tournament. From last year Venus knows the surface is very fast, so she knows her footwork needs to be 100%. And from Doha, I think she has a great movement though. She won't be winning 6-0 6-0 I think, since she needs to adjust to the courts I think. So I would say something like 6-4 6-2 would be reasonable.

The Kaz
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Petra Kvitova

5-7 7-5 6-4

:bounce:

dadouch
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I saw Kvitova playing Dementieva one month ago and the first set was top 20 tennis for sure. Venus is still a clear favourite but I wouldn't bet on it.

Dave.
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Obviously Venus is the favourite on paper, but Kvitova could easily go out there like Cibulkova did and just play too good for Venus.

BigBabeTENNIS
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Venus you better win or you might has well stop playing tennis

Dodoboy.
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Venus 7-6 6-2

Highlandman
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Venus like 6-3,6-2 :p Venus likes to play lefties.

Viktymise
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Brilliant!

For some reason i think he may just be pointing out the fact that Venus could be a bit jetlagged from a flight halfway across the world. Just a thought, but oh wait, now i remember, if Venus loses, nobody is allowed to say anything negative about her condition, she was always just outplayed. :yeah:

frenchie
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I've never seen Kvitova

If she plays like Anna C, Golovin, Myskina or JJ, then she could trouble Venus!!
If she's more like a Sharapova ala Bolletieri, then no problem for Venus!!

jonny84
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Venus in two easily, regardless of whether she is suffering jetlag.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Venus 6-4, 6-1:yeah:

Sexysova
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM
come on Petra!! :bounce:

Sylwiiia
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Venus should win this match and there is no excuses she is profesional tennis player it is her job and she shouldn't lost a match like she did in Doha. I wish she was more serious about her tennis....

Sally Todd
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM
People are underestimating Kvitova. She just gave Dementieva fits. Venus had better have her game in order, because Kvitova hits a big ball.

I voted Venus in 3. I can't see Kvitova winning even if she does a set because her fitness needs work.

But it'll be two solid -- not breezy -- sets if Venus regains her concentration and plays the way she did last year in Memphis.

Venus's familiarity with and love of the courts there might be just what the tennis doctor ordered. Wait maybe I've convinced myself too late that she'll win in straights. :lol:

Go Vee!

slamchamp
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Venus 4-6 6-1 6-2

Destiny
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Venus in two hard fought set

Ballbasher
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Venus 6-3 6-1

Uranium
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Venus!

Uranium
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM

Brilliant!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::o

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:52 PM
When was the last time Venus lost against a lefty? I think Venus plays well against lefties because she has a superior backhand return and it takes away a lefty's outwide serve on the AD.

jamatthews
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
When was the last time Venus lost against a lefty? I think Venus plays well against lefties because she has a superior backhand return and it takes away a lefty's outwide serve on the AD.

AO 2002 from what I can make out. :eek:

Her only loss to Seles in 10 meetings though.

supergrunt
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
um

supergrunt
well Venus hasn't been in the best form

supergrunt
so I don't wanna jinx it :sad:

Il Primo!
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Venus better win this one. :o

supergrunt
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
what do you do with credits?

Uranium
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
vbet

DA FOREHAND
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Anything less than straights should give Venus an indication that she needs to pick her game up.

V-MAC
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Just as long as Vee gets the win I'll be happy

SV_Fan
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Im thinking Venus. I am HOPING Venus.

iPatty
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Unfortunately, Venus. :sad:

Probably something like 7-5 6-1 or along those lines.

gmokb
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:28 AM
When is this match?

vw.
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Tuesday night 6:30 local time.