PDA

View Full Version : Best coaches on tour?

random fan
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Carlos Rodriguez and Michael Joyce come to mind obviously. However seeing how they exclusively worked only with their protegees may leave space for discussion. Anyone else worth-mentioning?

Paul.be
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Carlos may be the best coach for Justine. This doesn't make him the best coach for another player too.

IanRadi
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Rafael Font da Mora :haha:

sammy01
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
deffinately not daddy chakvetadze or mummy vera, i realy wish anna and lena d would get some proper outside help. im sure it would help both, theres only so much a parent can help.

joyce is better than carlos as he is calmer. i think joyce is great for maria, he is always calm when he comes on court. i can just see yuri coming on for oncourt coaching screaming, making death signals, shouting at her opponent.

Paul.be
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Rainer Hofmann is a contender too! :)

DefyingGravity
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Oracene Williams on the encouragement front as well as Yuri Sharapov and Carlos Rodriguez.

Technical coaches, you've got them right on in Michael Joyce and Carlos Rodriguez, and Melanie Molitor when she had Hingis to coach.

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
for me its Adam Peterson :shrug:

Emina.
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Mike :hearts::kiss:
i think he did a great job today ;):)

Paul.be
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM
What about Rainer Harnecker! :devil:

womensrights
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know what Mike told maria before the third set? I wasn't able to catch it.

Aryman3
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
May I mention Robert Radwanski. He prepared two very average and very different girls
to great international career

Tamus
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Does anyone know what Mike told maria before the third set? I wasn't able to catch it.

He told Maria that she's hitting too much to Vera's backhand, that she needs to come to net more and not to worry about getting passed, and that she needs to just focus on what she's doing. Oh, and something about the ball toss that I didn't quite catch.

danieln1
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Melanie Molitor
Robert Van Hoff (i think is the name) who coached Lindsay during her slams victories
Adam Peterson
Sven Groenefeld

jujufreak
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
deffinately not daddy chakvetadze or mummy vera, i realy wish anna and lena d would get some proper outside help. im sure it would help both, theres only so much a parent can help.

joyce is better than carlos as he is calmer. i think joyce is great for maria, he is always calm when he comes on court. i can just see yuri coming on for oncourt coaching screaming, making death signals, shouting at her opponent.

Carlos never comes on court, so you can't compare them at that point ;)

sammy01
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Carlos never comes on court, so you can't compare them at that point ;)

no i know, when i was talking about the oncourt coaching i was more comparing joyce to juri, and thinking for maria thank god its joyce not yuri lol ;)

goldlion
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:23 PM
no i know, when i was talking about the oncourt coaching i was more comparing joyce to juri, and thinking for maria thank god its joyce not yuri lol ;)

Yuri isn't the prime coach for Maria but Michael. He never came on court to Maria.

As u can see during the off-season, Yuri went skiing and having his holiday while Maria was training hard with Michael for nearly the entire off-season.

Actually I can't name the best coach since players don't suit to every coach.

Carlos may not be suitable for Maria and Michael may not fit in Justine.

But I have to say Michael helps Maria a lot and the on-court coaching benefits Maria many times.

Like San Diego final last year after talking to Michael, Maria won the third set by 6-0.

And this year in Doha, it's the repetition.

Slutati
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Vera Dementieva

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Vera Dementieva

More than a coach , a real tactician master

Juarito
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Gonzalo López, Anabel Medina Garrigues and Maria Emilia Salerni´s coach it´s a great one.

Slutati
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:55 AM
More than a coach , a real tactician master
Yes she is fabolous.I love Vera:hearts:

elise1986
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:19 AM
what about Sven Groenefeld?? seems he has helped Ana a lot ;)

Brengle_Nation
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
After the way he inspired Maria in the final of Doha, I would have to say Michael Joyce is one of the best coaches. Not the absolute best but he went up in my estimation when he was able to find the right words for Maria at the right time. At the end of that 2nd set she was really in a hole.

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Mommy Vera is a genius. It's a shame Lena is so stubborn and refuses to listen to her carefully crafted shopping--I mean tennis--strategies and just goes at it her own way with her clever "Surely she won't expect me to hit a crosscourt backhand for the 147th time in a row" tactic.

What I can't figure out is how Seva gets her to come to the net and hit down the line when he coaches her. Maybe he threatens to break her ribs again.

(Actually, as I recall, Seva has a pretty record of coaching Lena, with 1 title and a number of quarters and semis. I kind of wish she'd use him more if she's going to keep it in the family.)

womensrights
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
What do you guys think makes a good coach. The thing that impresses me the most about michael and carlos is that they have been with their players for so long. they have been through the ups and downs and both thge players keep improving.Parents like yuri and vera have no choice but to stick. Its pretty tough to fire a parent.I think a coach is so much more than just a tennis coach. Their needs to be a huge amount of trust and belief in each other. A traveling coach has to wear many faces.The thing that makes michael even more impressive than carlos is that he is still young enough to hit well with Maria he was a very good player so he obviously seems to know strategy well and he seems to have a very calm demeaner which is a goiod buffer for yuri.Michael and yuri seem to get along very well also which is very important.Sometimes a parent coach and a coach relationship can be very difficult .

OZTENNIS
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Melanie Molitor and me...watch for a girl named Suraya around 2035 :devil:

zvonarevarulz
Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I agree with Joyce and Rodriguez, but I don't think Carlos could work with someone like Maria, becuase of her entorage, I think he likes a small group.

zvonarevarulz
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yaaaaaaaay my 1000th post:woohoo:

P3
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Richard Williams
2 Champs
14 Slams

Dave.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Robert Lansdorp: His style of tennis is my favourite and when it's done right it can be unbeatable. I just love the flat groundstrokes and perfect accuracy and very sharp angles. Just look at Lindsay play and even Maria to a lesser extent.

Robert Vanthoft: I love what he did with Lindsay getting hermore confident on the faster surfaces and making her serve as the centre of her game. If it wasen't for him, Lindsay could have gone the opposite route and become a groundstroker better for clay than grass or hard.

Melanie Molitor: Absolute genius. Martina is really talented and smart anyway, but Melanie was a great coach aswell. I love the way she had Martina playing more doubles than singles as a kid, and it defeintely made a difference when she was on the pro tour.

Richard Williams: He, for me is the greatest of them all. He learned tennis out of a book for goodness sake and raised 2 of the best players of all time. Serena and Venus, apart from having amazing fighting abilities and mental strangth, also both have complete games (including perfect technique for their backhands, volleys and serves).

Dodoboy.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Robert Lansdorp: His style of tennis is my favourite and when it's done right it can be unbeatable. I just love the flat groundstrokes and perfect accuracy and very sharp angles. Just look at Lindsay play and even Maria to a lesser extent.

Robert Vanthoft: I love what he did with Lindsay getting hermore confident on the faster surfaces and making her serve as the centre of her game. If it wasen't for him, Lindsay could have gone the opposite route and become a groundstroker better for clay than grass or hard.

Melanie Molitor: Absolute genius. Martina is really talented and smart anyway, but Melanie was a great coach aswell. I love the way she had Martina playing more doubles than singles as a kid, and it defeintely made a difference when she was on the pro tour.

Richard Williams: He, for me is the greatest of them all. He learned tennis out of a book for goodness sake and raised 2 of the best players of all time. Serena and Venus, apart from having amazing fighting abilities and mental strangth, also both have complete games (including perfect technique for their backhands, volleys and serves).

Definitely!

I totally agree!...he just seemed to have a natural flair for the game!...

Sylwiiia
Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Many commentators are laughing about Richard Williams being a coach I wonder why, for some reason I think he deserve some respect.

-Sonic-
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
In my opinion, coaches like Molitor and Williams aren't that great.

Hingis & Serena (maybe Venus too) were born to become tennis stars. They basically had a racket glued to their hand as soon as they popped outta their momma's bellies. The parents knew they were going to breed a tennis machine and took the necessary steps from birth.

For me that is not as impressive as taking a stranger and turning them into a tennis star.

IceHock
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Not really one coach but the Sanchez Casal academy is great for coaches, i know they've turned around Daniela's career and they really do work well with players.

Corswandt
Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Not really one coach but the Sanchez Casal academy is great for coaches, i know they've turned around Daniela's career and they really do work well with players.

Yes. They've also done some good work with Kuznetsova; it's just that she's not a very coachable player so to speak.

TennisGuy21
Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Richard and Oricene, they know the game so well, and their record of grandslams as coaches should be enough.

Thanx4nothin
Mar 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Richard and Carlos

DimaDinosaur
Mar 4th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Spo. Jr. is the best coach ever. I swear by him. :worship: