Feb 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
According to the posters, these players merit as consistent threats:

Sandrine Testud
Vera Zvonareva
Camille Pin
Nathalie Dechy
Nathalie Tauziat
Dominique Van Roost

Special mention to a top player who wasn't quite at the top at the end of her career (2001-2005), but nevertheless, a Grand Slam Champion:

Conchita Martinez.

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Camille PIN...

Marionated
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I would say Camille Pin.
It's weird in the sense that she can take the top players to three sets but can't win first round matches against players that are much lower ranked.

DefyingGravity
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I want to say Camille Pin, but that's only when top players have had really bad days (with the exception of that Safina match, in which Camille played extremely well). She has a game that can bother people, but in a different way than this group...

A Magicman
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Conchita Martinez? WTF? She was a top player herself. Like it or not.

Jachal
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
WTF is Conchita doing out there????????
She has been no. 2 in the world, won 33 singles titles (Wimbledon in it), made several GS finals and finished 9 years in the top 10. What more do you need to call someone a top-player??? :mad:

mckyle.
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Currently, Radwanska does a good job pissing the top players off :p. And Paszek (although she did get bageled by Schnyder this week :o)

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Eleni Daniilidou, first one that came to mind.

Elldee
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Dechy? She's given Lindsay fits.

DefyingGravity
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Sandrine Testud (0-1 vs. Clijsters, 2-4 vs. Henin, 3-5 vs. S. Williams, 1-5 vs. V. Williams, 2-9 vs. Seles, 2-12 vs. Davenport [many, many three-set matches], 4-7 vs. Capriati, 1-6 vs. Pierce) is 15-49 vs. these top ten players. Note, she's had the most three set matches with them than anyone else in this poll.

Camille recently has shown her competency against the top players, taking Sharapova to 9-7, stretching Venus mightily, nearly beating Safina.

Those are my two, with Zvonareva battling it out with Conchita.

DefyingGravity
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I placed Conchita in there due to the year restraints put on the poll question. I never said that a top player couldn't be placed in the list, and as the years dwindled on, she continued to be a nightmare for EVERYONE

DefyingGravity
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Dechy and Daniilidou never crossed my mind, especially Dechy. Daniilidou, yeah, she's a good one for that.

Jachal
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I placed Conchita in there due to the year restraints put on the poll question. I never said that a top player couldn't be placed in the list, and as the years dwindled on, she continued to be a nightmare for EVERYONE

So why didn't U put Schnyder and Radwanska in it???

Henin is also a nightmare for everyone :haha:

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Martinez and Tauziat in the poll... :rolleyes:
They were top-players themselves in 1998-2001, not to mention Conchita is a former Wimbledon champion and world #2.

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM
schnyder and radwanksa are top players aren't they?

Libertango
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Oh how I miss Testud (and van Roost and Appelmans) :hearts:

In The Zone
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I understand the point of the thread but there are a lot of stipulations.

Vera is a top player herself. She hasn't been able to stay healthy for a full season since 2004 when she qualified for the YEC. I mean, she is # 21 based on only a few months alone. She'll be up there by the USO. She'll be temptingly close to the top 10.

DefyingGravity
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM
It all depends on what you classify as top..because these players have all been in the top 30 for a pretty decent amount of time in their careers...a few of them in the top ten, Conchita leading the way. I'm just compiled these girls for the most part because their games (with the exception of Sania and Vera and Tamarine) are way different than the crop they grew up with winning most of the slams.

Nicolas
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Razzano

Nicolás89
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I never said that a top player couldn't be placed in the list,

Oh, in that case I say Henin threats the top more consistently and Sharapova aswell.

DefyingGravity
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Do you catch the drift of the poll options though, it's not about ranking. It's about game alone. Ignore who the people are in terms of rankings, Grand Slams, etc. and focus upon their games. And to all of you factitious people who said "Oh, well then Henin and Sharapova are dangerous as well", please stop it. They're considered top players of todays game, these players (without Conchita) are just that tier below.

njnetswill
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Razzano has always had the tools to threaten the top. Eleni is a good example, and maybe even Sprem when she could keep balls in play.

The women's side doesn't have as many perrenial dark horses as the men do. I guess Mirza is a bit of a dark horse, but she does not have that many wins over top 10 players. :shrug:

-Sonic-
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
awww Sandrine, my fav player ever.....

DefyingGravity
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Conchita in the lead with 12, Testud and Zvonareva tied for second with 8, then van Roost, then Mirza

RJWCapriati
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I voted Shaughnessy and of course Martinez.............

Uranium
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:38 AM
BEDANOVA!!!
Martinez
Testud

OsloErik
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I can understand having Conchita in there; from 2001-2005 she wasn't a top player. She wasn't a top tenner or a title threat at slams or Tier I's. But she was a nightmare to play. The way she hit those forehands and could till move so quickly into her 30's was impressive.

I'd add Schnyder to that list, because she was only really a top player at two phases of her career, but she was a name you never wanted to see in your section because she could hit a nearly untouchable patch in her game with absolutely no warning.

Testud was definitely irritating to play, and was never really a title threat but always could trouble a top player.

In 2003, Henin said Zvonereva was the best all-around player from Russia, and she's maintained that mercurial trajectory since (partially due to injuries). If you look at her results, they've been solidly top 20, but she keeps on missing chunks of the year.

danieln1
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Conchita, Vera, Nathalie, Sania and Sandrine (i miss SANDRINE A LOT)

samsam4087
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:43 AM
She has been no. 2 in the world, won 33 singles titles (Wimbledon in it), made several GS finals and finished 9 years in the top 10. What more do you need to call someone a top-player??? :mad:

yes, Cochita was a top player herself. Perhaps she beated herself sometimes.

:lol::lol::lol:

BarsonlyOne
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:48 AM
i would give my vote to sandrine. such a feisty competitor with a lovely top-spin second serve. always took top players to three sets. had great variety. she never got to the top, she was always under a level behind them. conchita did reach the top of the game and stayed there for awhile, no matter her results in the last few years of her career.

samsam4087
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Serena Williams-a lowly ranked 83 to win Australian Open 07.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:44 AM
CONCHITA??? :haha:

Serenidad.
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Sprem.

Valanga
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
pironkova

shap_half
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Bepa definitely deserves the mention. Much as I love her, if she weren't a psycho, she would achieved much more than she has. In '02 alone, she had two stunning GS performances stretching Serena to 3 sets in RG and Kim to 3 sets in USO. She actually came soo close to winning that match against Kim. She has such a solid baseline game, and her head just got in the way of her getting to the next level, and of course injuries. I hope she can keep up and play well. With a good draw, I can see her doing really well throughout the clay court season.

HTE
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Dominique could beat anyone on a good day :)

A'DAM
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Conchita Martinez was top herself :lol::rolleyes:

justine schnyder
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Vera Z

Monirena Wiles
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM

It was mistake to include Conchita, plain and simple. I don't like the list at all. The top players who threatned the top, but were never really the best would be players like:

Tatiana Golovin
Patty Schnyder
Chanda Rubin
Daniela Hantuchova
Mehgann Shaughnessy
Vera Zvonereva
Anke Huber
Kimiko Date
Sandrine Testud
Ai Sugiyama
Mary-Jo Fernandez
Zina Garrison
Amy Frazier
Natalie Tauziat

jonny84
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Anastasia Myskina..........always a threat to all.

Remember her Leipzig 03 win over both Justine and Kim who were at their peaks. She could also beat Venus and JennyC.

DefyingGravity
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Update:

Vera Zvonareva in the lead, followed closely by Sandrine Testud and 2001-2005 Conchita Martinez.

TennisGuy21
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Virginie Razanno

DefyingGravity
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Updated first post.

njnetswill
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM
It was mistake to include Conchita, plain and simple. I don't like the list at all. The top players who threatned the top, but were never really the best would be players like:

Tatiana Golovin
Patty Schnyder
Chanda Rubin
Daniela Hantuchova
Mehgann Shaughnessy
Vera Zvonereva
Anke Huber
Kimiko Date
Sandrine Testud
Ai Sugiyama
Mary-Jo Fernandez
Zina Garrison
Amy Frazier
Natalie Tauziat

Almost all those players were top 10 at some point, or close to it. Players like Tauziat even have slams like Conchita. Not that different in my opinion.

azza
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Monique Adamczak

Bruno71
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I say Razzano too, for someone currently.

HTE
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Almost all those players were top 10 at some point, or close to it. Players like Tauziat even have slams like Conchita. Not that different in my opinion.

lol what slam did Tauziat win?

Slumpsova
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
i think Nicole V :)

spencercarlos
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM
According to the posters, these players merit as consistent threats:

Sandrine Testud
Vera Zvonareva
Camille Pin
Nathalie Dechy
Nathalie Tauziat
Dominique Van Roost

Special mention to a top player who wasn't quite at the top at the end of her career (2001-2005), but nevertheless, a Grand Slam Champion:

Conchita Martinez.
Neither of these players.
Actually if you look at Conchita´s record against the top players you´ll see she WAS NOT consistent at chalenging them.

I would put Sabatini, Arantxa, Pierce, Novotna up there in that group.

Off your list i would give honorable mentions to Testud, and Tauziat these two french players were dangerous floaters.