PDA

View Full Version : When are the other Russian girls going to step up

vettipooh
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
and challenge Sharapova? Aren't they tired of Maria embarrassing them all the time? No, let me say humiliating them? Seems none of them can challenge her, or they are afraid to. They can put up a fight against other players, and fold like a deck of cards versus Maria. Maria seems to take pleasure in thier demolition. It's almost like she has to prove over and over that she is way better than they are....and she is. She has accomplished so much more than all the 60 something or so Russians, on the tour right now. :o Kuzzy, Dementieva and Myskina, once showed so much promise and potential...now they have taken a back seat to Maria.:sad: Petrova and Elena are 25 and 26 and no grand slam title ...yet. Myskina is now pregnant and ranked 1101!! :rolleyes: :help: Vesnina, Anna, Kuzzy, Safina, Kirilenko, Zvonerava, Dushevina, Poutchkova, all need to step up. Who can challenge Maria? Who??? Discuss.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Zvonareva was trying.
It should be Sveta, who's beaten Maria a few times.
They should be playing in Dubai in a few days.

slamchamp
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
kuzzy on clay? :shrug:

Aaron.
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
and challenge Sharapova? Aren't they tired of Maria embarrassing them all the time? No, let me say humiliating them? Seems none of them can challenge her, or they are afraid to. They can put up a fight against other players, and fold like a deck of cards versus Maria. Maria seems to take pleasure in thier demolition. It's almost like she has to prove over and over that she is way better than they are....and she is. She has accomplished so much more than all the 60 something or so Russians, on the tour right now. :o Kuzzy, Dementieva and Myskina, once showed so much promise and potential...now they have taken a back seat to Maria.:sad: Petrova and Elena are 25 and 26 and no grand slam title ...yet. Myskina is now pregnant and ranked 1101!! :rolleyes: :help: Vesnina, Anna, Kuzzy, Safina, Kirilenko, Zvonerava, Dushevina, Poutchkova, all need to step up. Who can challenge Maria? Who??? Discuss. :lol:

Destiny
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
They do try is just that Maria is good!!!:p

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
who were the only players to take sets of Maria this week and even this year :p

Dexter
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
who were the only players to take sets of Maria this week and even this year :pSure Galina is going to rock the world since now. :tape: Ooops, she just lost in qualies. :tape:

jacobruiz
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Maria is not just beating Russian players. She is playing better than anyone so far this year.

morningglory
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM

:lol: Russians! :lol: And the only ppl to take sets off her this year so far too (not counting exho)

jamatthews
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Why Isn't Caroline Maes Challenging Justine?

LudwigDvorak
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM
When were any of the other Russian girls ever going to be better than Maria? Myskina's considered a fluke and I don't even know what Kuznetsova is considered as; I just know most people don't like her. Dementieva was briefly looked at as a potential slam champion/"it" girl in 2000/2001 but of course nothing happened, and Petrova happened to have a hot six months that has proved to be a complete paradox in her career and will never be reproduced.

The others, eh. Whatever. I'm more interested in when ANY girl is going to step up to Maria, not necessarily a Russian.

vettipooh
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Taking a set off Maria is no good....it only pisses her off. :lol: You have to fight and win the whole darn thing!!:fiery: Vera disappointed today. It's not good enough to say "at least I won a set'. :o

joćo.
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Maria won't let them. :/

Slutati
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I just want somebody to stop her, don't care if it's a Russian or an American, Belgian, Serbian, whatever.She is really on fire now!

random fan
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Justine is your best bet, since Serena hardly participates at all nowdays

Expat
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
the only reason the other girls cannot take it past maria is the same reason they are so awful against justine or the williams sisters (injury free , playing well without the bazillion excuses we reetards conjure up)
maria is simply one level above the other girls and only girl below 25 who is in the same league as henin and the williams sisters

bellascarlett
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Taking a set off Maria is no good....it only pisses her off. :lol:

:lol: Pretty much. One of the things I love about her.

But it also depends on her opponent obviously.

CanIGetAWhat
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The other Russian girls are headcases. They fold against Maria. Maria, is, and will always be the best Russian player, despite what the rankings say.

Andy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I just want somebody to stop her, don't care if it's a Russian or an American, Belgian, Serbian, whatever.She is really on fire now!
How very gracious of you :rolleyes: maybe you should marry spiritedenergy you two would have so much in common and have so much to talk about ;)

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It's just a natural thing that some players get injured, some are aging.
This could be Maria's time to separate from the pack.
But she didn't last year, so you never know what the future holds.

Cp6uja
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
When are the other Russian girls going to step upIn April.
kuzzy on clay? :shrug:Correct answer!

But on all other surfaces without some Maria injury or realy bad day i dont see any Russian girl to realy chalenging Maria - including in-form Sveta or in-form Elena or in-form Anna.

random fan
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
in-form Sveta can do damage. The only problem is that she is almost never in form :)

Jachal
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Well, don't think Chaky-Chucky is ever gonna beat Maria, 'coz she even lost to Sharapova on clay! Kuzy will have Maria's number on clay. H2H is 4-3 to Sharapova, but they never played on clay, so this must mean Sveta can beat her on other surfaces (I believe though that when Maria is on form no Russian can match her).

An in-form Dementieva could beat her (actually when she's on form, she can beat anyboby), but this happens lately too seldom:crying2:

And there's also Vera Zvonareva, who somehow seems to play the right balanced tennis, that makes Maria feel uncomfortable. Their matches are alwyas very tight.

So... all in all, I think Kournikova should come back, coz she's the only one who can beat Maria (if only in a beauty contest...) :banana::devil:

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Remember, Serena won the AO and Miami in 2007.
Maria won the AO and Doha.
It doesn't mean they keep winning.
You have to continue to win big titles in this sport to stay at the top.

Kitten63
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM
in-form Sveta can do damage. The only problem is that she is almost never in form :)

Sad but true.

BMP
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Why only Russian players? Everyone should try to challenge her. That would be only good for them ;)

hotandspicey
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM

Well I hope this is one of the rare times that she is in-form because she is slated to meet Sharapova in the qtrs. Let's go, Sveta! :bounce:
One of these girls are going to get tired of the school yard bully taking away their lunch money,(literally :lol:) and step up.

surferchicka
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
if zvonareva got her head on straight, she could beat almost anyone. she can hit winners left and right, and then she breaks down.

Junex
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
does everyone forgot the Williamsova Sisters & Justina Henina.....?

seriously, Maria is one of the big 4 now with Justine & WS.

When these 4 are in form, no one could really challenge them....
not just the russians, but even the rest of the world!

but then everything changes, so its just a mtter of time, when new faces will occupy the top echelon of womens tennis, by then we would start talking about why no-one could put up a challenge against this group of very few........

vettipooh
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
does everyone forgot the Williamsova Sisters & Justina Henina.....?

seriously, Maria is one of the big 4 now with Justine & WS.

When these 4 are in form, no one could really challenge them....
not just the russians, but even the rest of the world!

but then everything changes, so its just a mtter of time, when new faces will occupy the top echelon of womens tennis, by then we would start talking about why no-one could put up a challenge against this group of very few........

I think you'll have to add Lindsay Davenportsova to make the big 5. :hearts: Seriously though, the sisters, Justine and Lindsay are nearing 30 or over 30. There's a slew of teenage and early twenties Russians on the tour- the most of any nation- who's not showing that they can replace them and become at least part of the big 4 or 5.....only Maria. It's like an army of one, fighting an army of 50 and winning!:lol: Someone needs to step up!

The Kaz
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
The WS...will do next to nothing they are not committed, even Venus...and she now loses to scrubs :o

LudwigDvorak
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
The WS...will do next to nothing they are not committed, even Venus...and she now loses to scrubs :o

Then I guess you fancy a chance the scrubs in your signature to beat Venus every time they play her now.

I don't know why I bother. You know people are stupid, Chris. :o

Wayn77
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I think you'll have to add Lindsay Davenportsova to make the big 5. :hearts: Seriously though, the sisters, Justine and Lindsay are nearing 30 or over 30. There's a slew of teenage and early twenties Russians on the tour- the most of any nation- who's not showing that they can replace them and become at least part of the big 4 or 5.....only Maria. It's like an army of one, fighting an army of 50 and winning!:lol: Someone needs to step up!

Davenport looked anything but top 5, when she was taken to the cleaners by Maria in Melbourne. I guess if you want to pick on the Russians, Maria is head and shoulders above all of them. Even a good player like Zvonareva - was handed a set yesterday, the gap for the rest of the match was pretty huge. Kuzy seems to be the best challenge, if she can ever find some consistency.

miffedmax
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Lena D's 2-8 record is actually part of a clever plan to let TOB have a false sense of confidence. And Lena thought of it all by herself, with no help from Mommy Vera.

vettipooh
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Lena D's 2-8 record is actually part of a clever plan to let TOB have a false sense of confidence. And Lena thought of it all by herself, with no help from Mommy Vera.

:lol:
Somehow I feel this might be Elena's year for a slam. :hearts: