PDA

View Full Version : Did Doha Live Up to Expectations?

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Coming it to this week from Antwerp which seemed to underwhelm the majority of people, and looking at the field Doha had to offer and the draw. I am sure we hyped this tournament in our minds!
Did we get the matches we wanted and the quality we expected?

I mean Yes we didn't get a Maria v Venus (semi) Ana v Venus (Quarters)
Hell!...we didn't even get Jelena v Sveta!

But did the tournament entertain and live up to the expectations we had after Antwerp?

jonnyroyale_13
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Didnt live up to expectations, but still was a good tournament.:yeah:

Sharakim
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Well I wish I'd seen Maria vs Venus or Maria vs Ana

Still I'm happy my fave won and I'm glad she got her revenge on Radwanska.

This tourney must be tough on the directors though because so many seeds were upset.

jonny84
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:07 PM
The seeding did suggest stronger quarter-finals, but we lost Ana, Anna, Venus and Svetlana too early. Hope Ana recovers soon and will be okay for Dubai.
But, it wasnt the tournament's fault that Venus, Svetlana and Anna lost early. Just better competetion from deserved players.

Nemo_Kool
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM
no...Venus didnt lift the trophy...lol....no it wasnt amazing but lightyears ahead of antwerp in terms of quality! plus Zvonareva has established herself again so im happy!

serenus_2k8
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
It sucked. :)

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well the winner was the strongest bet for winner from the start!...but the rest of the matches did have the quality at the best of times but i still would have liked to see the star power that the seedings did foretold!

Elwin.
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
It was a good tournament :D
with some nice ''upsets''

Destiny
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Good tourney
But Venus let me down and Ana going was also a blow

All in all it was a good tournament for the players that were there
:)

kolan
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
yep :worship:

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:18 PM
It was like Antwerp. The semis had 1 threat to win a major, and 3 players happy to be there.

bellascarlett
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It lived up to my expectations...I wasn't taking anything less than a Sharapova title win. :)

Louis Cyphre
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Coming it to this week from Antwerp which seemed to underwhelm the majority of people, and looking at the field Doha had to offer and the draw. I am sure we hyped this tournament in our minds!
Did we get the matches we wanted and the quality we expected?

I mean Yes we didn't get a Maria v Venus (semi) Ana v Venus (Quarters)
Hell!...we didn't even get Jelena v Sveta!

But did the tournament entertain and live up to the expectations we had after Antwerp?

yep :devil: I bet that the match between Radwanska and Dominika was much much much better than a potential Jelena v Sveta match considering the way they both play right now ...

Mikey B
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
it was great! the big names didnt all make it, but the biggest name won the title... compared to antwerp this was grand slam worthy! lol!

schorsch
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Well, the weather played its part.

But it was a great week for Cibulkova and Zvonareva :)

And obviously Masha, too :p

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It was like Antwerp. The semis had 1 threat to win a major, and 3 players happy to be there.

Don't compare Doha to Antwerp! :eek::tape:

Slutati
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Sharapova won so no, it didn't live up to MY expectations:p

heytennis
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It was an okay week. I'm more excited about Dubai next week. We have awesome first round matches guaranteed.

Mikey B
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
It was an okay week. I'm more excited about Dubai next week. We have awesome first round matches guaranteed.

absolutely agree! dubai is always an awesome event!

i wonder if dubai will get the tier 1 treatment soon and we'll have 4 back to back tier 1s!! i think dubai deserved the tier 1 status more than doha but its still a great event...

the schedule for the year may need some tweaking for middle-east tier 1 double AND an american tier 1 double...

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Dubai has bigger expectations?

serenus_2k8
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Dubai looks like a great field ;)

mckyle.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
It was nice to see new faces for a change :p

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
i guess...espiecally sharapova's matches/draw!

laurie
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I was really looking forward to this tournament, but I thought it was quite disappointing in the end.

A shame Vera couldn't put a better fight in the 3rd set in the final but it's great to see her back playing well.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Dubai could be better if we get Maria-Sveta and Justine -Ana.
And if Ana pulls out, Maria might be moved to Justine's half.

Emina.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
it was awesome!!! :bounce: :bounce:much nicer than Antwerp :p:angel:

perseus2006
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
It was great to see Li, Cibulkova, Radwanska and Zvonereva make such large statements and do so well.

It was also very nice to see Pova go all the way through to collect:

The Qatar Total Open Championship Title.
A golden Falcon Trophy (does she keep this one???).
A Golden Ibex (???).
A check for over $400000.
A harley.
And 465 ranking points. The announcers said 430 but both the WTA and Doha Draw Sheets say 465.

Life is good.