PDA

View Full Version : Peoples Wimbledon Stories

tennis-jack
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Has anyone got any stories about when they went wimbledon or just tell us about your day :)

tennis-jack
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I cant wait until I go this year :):):)

Dave.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I went 4 times last year and a couple of times before, but I don't remember those too well. Last year I went on Day 1, then women's QF, and both finals days.

On day 1, after hours of queueing, I finally got in but then it started to rain so play didn't begin till like 1 or 2 I think. I only had a ground pass but there were still some great matches on. I watched Bammer vs Lepchenko first before moving around the courts. I remember feeling bad for Harkleroad in her match because she seemes so frustrated with herself. I saw Bartoli vs Pennetta aswell which was good because I had waited a while to see Marion play. My favourite part of the day was going to the practice courts though. There you can get really close to the top players and I saw Dementieva, Vaidisova and Mirza practicing together, and some others. Day 1 was quite good towards the end, I stayed pretty much all day. It was a shame it had to start with 2 hours of rain because there isn't much to do there when it rains.

On women's QF day , the queue was much shorter (again I had a ground pass), I saw Bartoli vs Krajicek which was great, and mainly other doubles matches. I also remember watching a good junior match between Glushko and Doi (this was the only juniors I watched). In practicing I saw Venus, and also Krajicek and Radwanska warming up before Krajicek's match. I also saw legends matches which were really good to watch.

For both finals days, I had centre court tickets. I watched Bartoli vs Venus of course, then Jankovic/Murray mixed SF. I also walked around the grounds to see some matches. The next day I watched some of the men's singles final but I also watched the wheelchair final which was really good and I managed to get the winners' autographs. The last match I saw was the mixed final which was probably my favourite match of the tournament.

Sorry this is more like an report than a story but um yer..I had a thread somewhere about it back in July.

Nemo_Kool
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
i went on the 2nd day i think and the mens (delayed) QF day.!!!
the 2nd day had arguably the besy weather no clouds no rain perfect i had ground pass and saw Gasquet, Strebotnik, Jankovic, Lopez and Venus matches!... i jus remember watching that incredibly frustrating Venus match and remember quite afew people cheering out Anna (instead of Alla LOL) which was pissing me off so me and american chick rallied together to drown our their cheers and went incredibly over the top im sure if u watch that match you'll hear me!!!!!!haha...i saw Jelena and she signed my ball 4 me she was incredibly smiley and friend;y.
Mens QF was lucky cos we bout tickets for court 1 which should have mens legends matches but cos of all ther rain 2 mens QFs were put on our court and arguably the betta ones Djokovic v. Baghdatis and Roddick v. Gasquet i wont elaborate due to the nature of this forum but both matches were loooonggg 5 setters!

Destiny
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
So jealous
Can't wait to go next year too
:woohoo:

tennis-jack
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for them so far..... everyone keep them coming :)

tennis-jack
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
And it is reports or stories any

moon
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM
The first year I went (2006) I only had grounds passes, but I was desparate to see Vee on court 2. Of course it was packed in the standing room only section--so I dedided to beg one of the security guards to let me in, and he did!:lol:
then she lost to Jankovic. :(

tennis-jack
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
The first year I went (2006) I only had grounds passes, but I was desparate to see Vee on court 2. Of course it was packed in the standing room only section--so I dedided to beg one of the security guards to let me in, and he did!:lol:
then she lost to Jankovic. :(

awww thanks unlucky.... hope you have more luck next time you go... thats if you do :lol:

tennis-jack
Apr 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Any more ? Im gettin so excited now 4 when i go :lol:

smit101
Apr 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I went to Wimbledon 2 years ago on the first day and it was wet almost all day. Only saw 1 set of Federer VS Gasquet.

Then i was sitting in the rain and had a wimbledon umbrella when a woman walked up and asked if they could use my umbrella in a photo shoot and of course i said yes. I went off into the players areas and was sitting outside the change room and Hingis and Navratilova walked past and they were really friendly. Then Ana-Lena Groenefeld came and she was the person in the photo shoot for German newspapers and there was heaps of media and she stood outside on the walkway between players area and their restaurant and had photos, i was in a few but never found a copy of it :( but it was very interesting to see what it was like inside the players area and to meet a few of the players.

After this i was sitting watching the Australia VS Italy Soccer World Cup match and a lady came out and asked us if we wanted passes into the media area to watch the match instead of looking through a window and sitting in the rain. She was really kind, she was from Australia which helped, and we got to watch the match is the media area which was really nice, sadly Australia lost 1-0 (Italy got a very lucky penalty :fiery:)

It was still a great day even with the weather being very poor and i look forward to going back in a couple of years (hopefully it will be sunny). Have a great time this year!!

Slutiana
Apr 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I saw Richard last year, and Richard being Richard started talking to me, asking me if I play tennis and what not. He then said he'd get me ground passes for the next day. I didn't believe him but I still told him to leave them with my Mum who is a driver at wimbledon. He did but sadly, the next day was rained off. :( I also got to see Venus and Serena vs Keothavong and Curran (kinda) on court 18. It was PACKED. I'm not even joking, there was not one empty seat and there were hundreds of people queuing up but me being me couldn't queue up so I got on my knees next to the fence and looked through the smallest holes in the fence. It actually worked to my advantage because when they finished their match, I was standing right where they had to walk so I got Venus, Serena's and Anne's autograph and also a smile from Serena. :drool:. Other people I saw (and got autographs from) were Monfils, Robredo, Tati gave me her autograph but she lost. :rolleyes:. Can't remember anyone else right now. But I had a great day.

Nemo_Kool
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I saw Richard last year, and Richard being Richard started talking to me, asking me if I play tennis and what not. He then said he'd get me ground passes for the next day. I didn't believe him but I still told him to leave them with my Mum who is a driver at wimbledon. He did but sadly, the next day was rained off. :( I also got to see Venus and Serena vs Keothavong and Curran (kinda) on court 18. It was PACKED. I'm not even joking, there was not one empty seat and there were hundreds of people queuing up but me being me couldn't queue up so I got on my knees next to the fence and looked through the smallest holes in the fence. It actually worked to my advantage because when they finished their match, I was standing right where they had to walk so I got Venus, Serena's and Anne's autograph and also a smile from Serena. :drool:. Other people I saw (and got autographs from) were Monfils, Robredo, Tati gave me her autograph but she lost. :rolleyes:. Can't remember anyone else right now. But I had a great day.
OMD Richard is a LEGEND i met him twice when i went last year and each time we had a chat i even got a photo but it's on my phone and i dont know how to put those pics up! Can't wait to whore it up with the players this year..i will get photos!!!haha

Mina Vagante
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I went twice last year. I was BEGGING that Serena was on centre court, and she was :). Gonzalez/Tipserevic lasted sooo long, so i went to get something to eat. I came back and Serena was on court! I was VEXED!:fiery:. Was sooooo cool seeing her play. She wasnt on court for long though:p. Yeah, I thought it was really weird, like i just saw these players who you see on tv just walking around. I went in an saw PHM and Nadal just walking and talking :lol:. I wasn't surprised about how hard they hit, To me it just looks like it does on TV. I saw Vaidisova playing doubles, which was the first match i saw. Saw a little of Henin then went to centre.

Its a GREAT day out. I LOVED it and can't wait to go again this year. I'll see you there.! I went with my Dad who, to behonest, thinks he' knows about tennis and he doesn't but this year im going with my tennis friend so we can talkl about tennisy stuff.

Wow, talk about an essay lol :)

Apr 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I went when Serena won the Wimbledon title in 2003!! All of the attendants were very nice but I only got to go on the first day!! The thought of the Kim double bagel still makes me crack up because this lady about 4 seats over asked if I thought Kim was going to lose after Lleyton did and I said hell no!!

Apr 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Plus being on Centre Court was a real honor

tennis-jack
Apr 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Wow all of these stories are gettin me so excited :D :lol:

DutchieGirl
Apr 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I was meant to go to 4 days in 2005, to see Misa make her Wimby debut. Of course, she got injured the week before, and I was so pissed off that I only went to 1 day, and it was REALLY hot. I was so fed up that I watched 2 matches on ct 13 and then left. :lol: (I saw Vaidisova-Pastikova and Myskina-Nakamura). The courts are so close together though! :eek: Oh, and queueing SUCKS! :ras: @ queueing!

Joachim1978
Apr 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I went in 1996 with my mum and we saw some mens matches before Sanchez-Vicario vs McGrath, and then Graf vs Date.......and they suspended play due to fading light at one set all.......it KILLED me, Kimiko was going to win that match and make the final.......Damned rain!

Then I returned ten years later on day one, which was also really rainy, but was able to see Hingis win in her comeback to Wimbledon.

Then something amazing happened, and it turned out that one of my friends was best friends with the son of Venus Williams's lawyer, and we went back to watch her narrowly beat Lisa Raymond, but in the players box (Raymond's people were SO FUNNY, with these broad American accents going "YOU CAN DO IT LISA", but of course she didn't.

We then hung out with Venus and some of her people in the evening and chatted about books and stuff. We ordered Indian food, while she had this specially prepared stuff and had some treatment on her wrist. She was really nice....

Slutiana
Apr 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
My friend lives on the same road as wimbledon - where the richer players stay. I'm gonna stay at his house and (if I don't get any tickets) get up early and go and queue up this year!

spiceboy
Apr 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Has anyone got any stories about when they went wimbledon or just tell us about your day :)

Too many stories to tell :p :cool:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=307945

DutchieGirl
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:14 AM
My friend lives on the same road as wimbledon - where the richer players stay. I'm gonna stay at his house and (if I don't get any tickets) get up early and go and queue up this year!
I'm going with 3 Dutch friends. :D Hopefully we don't have to queue every day. ;)

tennis-jack
Apr 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Too many stories to tell :p :cool:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=307945

Wow! you have got alot of stories :lol:

mankind
Apr 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
This thread has made me even more excited about going. But I guess we have to get past clay first. :o

tennis-jack
Apr 12th, 2008, 10:37 AM
This thread has made me even more excited about going. But I guess we have to get past clay first. :o

me too.... the clay season will go quickly i hope :) im so excited now :D... what days are you goin ?

DutchieGirl
Apr 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
:lol: It's still over 9 weeks away! I can't be excited yet. But I am going to NL first - I'm more excited about that. ;)

tennis-jack
Apr 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM
:lol: It's still over 9 weeks away! I can't be excited yet. But I am going to NL first - I'm more excited about that. ;)

:lol: Im still so excited