PDA

View Full Version : Doha Final: (4) Maria Sharapova def. Vera Zvonareva 6-1 2-6 6-0

s_j
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Congrats Maria! 14 straight wins! Unbeaten this season and won both tournaments taken part in!

Despite getting lost in the woods somewhere in the middle, Maria still managed to pay a visit to the Sharapova Bakery!

That final set was just pure class, domination and demolition.

joćo.
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
WOOOO!!! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship: :hearts: :kiss:
C'MON, MARIA! :p

Vera :hug:

Dave.
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Well done Maria.

Vera:hug:

LDF
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Maria :woohoo:

She played extremely well in the first and third sets - went off the boil in the second set, but she regrouped impressively to extend her win streak!

Vera's had a terrific week and she really played well in the middle of this match :yeah:

Russianboy
this is awesome maria :D
so proud of u!!!
bagel :drool:

vera :sad: still :D

morningglory
one bagel,and on breadstick... shame she had to drop a set...

padawanpot
The last volley at championship point made up for all the other crap ones she tried before that!

cellophane
Hate to say it, but Vera doesn't have a chance when Maria is on.

shrOOf
:eek: wow congrats!

Elwin.
vera :hug: :sad:
Great tournament for you.. i'm so proud :D

Maria congrats! on winning the title!

Sharakim
Yet another bagel! :lol:

Doha 2008 champion! Congrats Maria, two titles in 2008 14-0!!!! :worship::worship::worship:

Vera, good fight from you to take the second set.

cypher_88
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
:woohoo: well done Maria :hearts:

Shoulderpova
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Bepa :awww::hug: tough luck :sad: Please keep up this level of play Bepa :worship:
Masha:woohoo: 18th title :drool: Keep going like that :angel:

TennisPlayingFox
Awesome job Maria! Congrats on the title!

Kipling
Nicely done. Vera played well. When she's healthy, she's still top ten quality IMO. Maria was just too much in the end.

Boy, I'd love to see her do the IW/Miami double this year.

Sefo
Go Maria!!!! A breadstick and a bagel. I think the sheik payed Maria an extra bonus to make it three setters. :lol:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Maria :banana:

joćo.
:worship: :hearts: :worship: :hearts: :worship: :hearts: :worship: :hearts: :worship: :hearts: :worship: :hearts: :worship:

Cakeisgood
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Scary second set, but she pulled it out in the end. 5 DFs is worrying, but good job Masha!

jamatthews

It was really encouraging that when Maria started to spray in the 2nd set she went in for the kill rather than waiting for Maria to give her it.

Emina.
Maria :worship::worship::worship:
what a fight! so proud of you :kiss:

ElusiveChanteuse
Vera :sad: :hug:
Well done Maria.;) :yeah:

BigBabeTENNIS
cant wait for maria to loose

Destiny
Nicely done Maria!!

P_Fer
AWesome tournament Maria! Congrats :yeah::):woohoo:

Destiny
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
:hug:
Vera should be proud of herself

Emina.
M A R I A :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cakeisgood
Nicely done Maria!!

Oh, don't be so bitter.

joćo.
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
MARIA: 2008 DOHA CHAMPION!

Maria has won the Qatar Total Open in Doha today as she defeated #27 Vera Zvonareva of Russia 6-1 2-6 in 1 hour and 31 minutes to claim her 18th career title and her 2nd title of 2008. Maria is now unbeaten in 14 matches. Congratulations Maria!

Maria didn't start the 1st set off well as she was broken to love by Zvonareva in the 1st game, but then the set was all Maria as she took the next 6 games to take the set 6-1 in 23 minutes. Maria won the set on a service winner.

Zvonareva was in control in the 2nd set as Maria dropped her 2nd set of the tournament. Zvonareva took it 6-2.

Maria re-grouped in the 3rd set as she didn't drop a game to take the title.

In the rankings Maria remains in 5th spot with 3526 points but she has closed the gap with those in front and now is only around 300 points behind #2 Ana Ivanovic. In the race Maria is at #1 with 1465 points with around a 550 point lead over #2.

- MariaSharapova.com

Princeza
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
:woohoo:

Kitten63
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Congrats Masha,brilliant week !! :worship:
Awesome tournament Vera :hug:

goldenlox
Maria plays like she's stronger than she used to be.
When she hits out, there's no answer to those shots.
You have to hope she misses.

Maria Croft
Another breadstick and bagel :woohoo:

Just a shame that second set was in between them :lol:

That second set was quiet frustrating to watch, but in true Maria style she stepped it up again in the third.

Her tennis in the first and third set was really a joy to watch :D

Unbeaten in Doha 2005/2008 title :bounce:

Slutati
Oh no:sad:

Rerun
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
fantastic 3th set!!!

good job Maria!

iamme
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM
yes!:worship: Maria, stay unbeatable!:devil::boxing: 18th title..not bad:p

RenaSlam.
Magnificent.

Vincey!
Maria :hearts:...

Beat
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
didn't expect such a one-sided 3rd set.

sd3300123
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
well done Maria

WIMBLY2004
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
2nd title of the year! Congrats, Maria!

She really got me worried in the second sets, where did all those DFs come from? 15 UFs in one set, just unacceptable, thank god she got her range back in the 3rd set, great performance in the first and last set :worship:

the cat
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well done to Maria Sharapova on winning Doha her second title of the year and her 14th match in a row. :D And congrats to Vera Zvonareva on having a fine comeback tournament.

Thieving Magpie
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Why did she loose the 2nd set? If you just look at the final result, it seems like she's done it on purpose. That is so strange. Almost reminds me of the Mauresmo match at the USO 2006.

JadeFox
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well done Maria!:yeah:

Sorry Vera that you have to be a visitor to the Sharapova bakery.:hug: Look at this way, you have good company.;)

Mikey B
boy when she's on she's really on, and when she's off she's off the chart!! lol! great match from maria and vera, nice to see her come through some trouble to take the third to love... congrats on your 18th title maria, may there be many, many more!!!

didnt expect to see a visit to the bakery today, but it was a nice suprise to see a breadstick and bagel sale!!!

Shvedbarilescu
Great 2nd set Vera. Just a shame about the rest but I love Vera's game. :hug:

As for Sharapova, what can one say? With Henin and the Williams sisters time at the top of the game coming closer to an end I can see two scenarios for women's tennis developing in the next 1 or 2 years. 1) An extended period of the game where no one player dominates and titles are shared amongst a sizable group of young players or 2) Sharapova just starts winning everything in sight. I am praying very hard for the 1st scenario but fearing the 2nd is a very significant possibility. :sad:

cs0803
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Congrats Maria!

LudwigDvorak
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
2) Sharapova just starts winning everything in sight. I am praying very hard for the 1st scenario but fearing the 2nd is a very significant possibility. :sad:

Oh hush. The closest she's come to dominating has been from USO to Madrid in 2006. She can dominate of course, but if she hasn't done it yet, it's hard to see it happening.

Anyway. Doha had LOTS of great/good matches this week, and aside from the first half of the second set, this was a great match to watch. Vera played well in parts, but specifically from 61 03 to 61 26. Maria, when she's playing well, is so much fun to watch. :yeah: Well-deserved victory and WONDERFUL comeback tournament for Zvonareva. I still attest that Vera is the most talented Russian player; I hope Doha is where she begins to start finding that capability more consistently. :)

Very good Tier I. Best one since Moscow. :hearts:

plantman
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Nice try Vera:) Great 2nd set. Keep improving and you'll get her next time!
Nice 3rd set by Maria!

Lunams
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
18th title.:yeah:

jerryxiao1988
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Congrats brilliant Maria!
Who will be her terminator?

theFutureisNow
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
As for Sharapova, what can one say? With Henin and the Williams sisters time at the top of the game coming closer to an end I can see two scenarios for women's tennis developing in the next 1 or 2 years. 1) An extended period of the game where no one player dominates and titles are shared amongst a sizable group of young players or 2) Sharapova just starts winning everything in sight. I am praying very hard for the 1st scenario but fearing the 2nd is a very significant possibility. :sad:

I guess you never know in tennis. But demographics are certainly on her side.

One encouraging thing is that Maria still seems willing to work hard to try to improve her game. She already has more money than she will ever need. So she isn't trying this hard for a paycheck.

A lot of young players have top 10 potential, but it will be interesting to see how many of them can actually challenge Maria at the top. Still, if you don't like Maria, it's a little frightening to think that she has 3 of the 4 slams won by a player under 25.

Sefo
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
She can dominate of course, but if she hasn't done it yet, it's hard to see it happening.

What are you talking about? Serena dominated at 21yo. Maria hasn't even approached her peak yet at 20.

joćo.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM

I think it will be someone totally random but I just hope it takes a little more for that to happen. :rolleyes:

.:sk:.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Bepa :sad: :hug:

Maria :)

Sefo
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Vera is the type of player that Maria prefers, she hits the ball back with pace. Maria didn't have to use variety in this match.

Marco Fernandes
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Humm... I really hope Maria can make a dominant season like Justine made last year... =D

Thieving Magpie
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm an avid Sharapova fan, but I think anyone can beat her if she's having one of this moments. There is currently no match for Sharapova if her game is on, but if it isn't she's just one among many. If she can fix that mental problem she'll be unstoppable.

bellascarlett
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Masha!!!!! :woohoo: :worship: :banana:

Great mental toughness there. :hug: The score may be against her at some point but it's really hard to beat her mentally. She's gotten back the level of mental strength she was known for a few seasons back. I couldn't be more proud of her. I just knew she would still win in the end but that bagel :drool: made up for that loss of concentration in the second set.

When Maria's on, watch out. She's out to kill. Powerful, Accurate, Intense. Love it. :hearts:

Congrats on your 18th title, Mash! Damn, I just realized how much money she earns! That's a big hefty paycheck! It was funny to see her with the motorcycles...Is she getting all of them?

Vera, she seems like a really nice girl. That was a nice handshake at the net despite the bagel ending. Congrats on a great week and for winning that second set Vera. Stay positive for the rest of the season. Good luck! :D

The Sharapova Bakery just added to its growing list of customers. And Vera went back twice! :lol: :yippee: :dance: Keep it going Masha!

jonny84
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
:hug: Vera.
At least it was a three setter.
Nevertheless, this should give Vera loads of confidence.

schorsch
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
bella :) Try to be a bit more humble, plz. I know you're happy, I am as well, but dont go overboard :lol:

Well done to Vera on reaching the final of a Tier I :) I hope she she will do consistently well from now on.

Congrats to Masha :)

Ballbasher
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Masha :hearts: :yeah:

Dodoboy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
well done Maria!

hurricanejeanne
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Aww, Bepa, at least you made the finals. :hug:
It's just nice to know she's healthy and playing well again.

Congrats Maria.

jacobruiz
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Nice to see Vera in the final of a super tier I even if she did lose.:D
But great job again, Maria!!:worship: Keep it going in Dubai!:cool:

Lucyxx
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Wow, what a 2nd set collapse!

Now to watch this again and see Maria's :hearts: smile.

Vera must've been exhausted.

bellascarlett
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
bella :) Try to be a bit more humble, plz. I know you're happy, I am as well, but dont go overboard :lol:

Well done to Vera on reaching the final of a Tier I :) I hope she she will do consistently well from now on.

:lol: Where did I go overboard? :awww: Stating the truth is hardly going overboard. :p Sorry I know Vera is a fave of yours too. :hug: She was a good sport out there. There's a lot to be proud about for her and her fans. ;)

Kai
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Vera :sad: :hug:

LindsayRulz
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Vera :sad::hug:

Lefty.
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Well done Maria! :yeah: :bounce: :D 18th title! :D

markhingis
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
congrats Maria! impressive third set and your winning streak. You're a player to beat right now ;)

Schnyderfreak
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Pity you lost Vera but well done this week in a great tournament:worship:

*Jean*
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Nice way to end the tournament :) Well done Masha :bounce:

heytennis
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Stop losing focus Maria. Just like in Zurich and San Diego, she lost the second set to a lesser opponent because her level went down.

Corswandt
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Stop losing focus Maria. Just like in Zurich and San Diego, she lost the second set to a lesser opponent because her level went down.

Yes, I was reminded of those finals as well.

Very up and down from Maria again - some of the very best tennis I've seen from her, and then some very rough patches - and since this time she was playing against somebody who actually has weapons, there went a set. Serve went on and off without warning. Maria's trying to play even more of a 1-2, pure first strike game in which she hits all the winners and all the errors, and I think she's still adjusting. Defensively she has never been better though.

This was indeed reminiscent of Zürich '06 and San Diego '07, perhaps more of Zürich since Maria didn't play quite as shite today as in the last few games of the 2nd in San Diego. In Zürich, she didn't deal well with Danka's typically high 1st serve % and couldn't recover from an early break in the 2nd IIRC.

Bepa didn't have much chance to show off her skills, and at times made some highly unusual errors in shot selection, possibly because Maria didn't give her the time to think and/or execute.

faboozadoo15
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Title #18

Hopefully she can keep her form in Dubai. Much tougher road there for less reward...
Great match from Bepa too.

Svetlana.
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Congrats Maria!

Very impressive start of the 2008 year. NO losses so far :worship::worship::worship:

And Vera is done well as well. I did not expect her to reach the final. I did not see, but hope she did not cry today. ;)

spiritedenergy
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM
congratulations indeed. But did anyone realize that to win she had beaten not any player ranked above n.20 and still managed to lose 2 sets? A very easy road to the title comparable to Justine's Antwerp. Dubai will be more truthful and I'm sure she'll need more to win it.

gmak
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:03 PM
masha :yeah: :woohoo: :rocker: :D
great first and third sets ;) and the streak goes on!

βeρa :hug: :sad: but she fought really hard, she should be proud of herself :)

stevos
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Masha!!!!! :woohoo: :worship: :banana:

Great mental toughness there. :hug: The score may be against her at some point but it's really hard to beat her mentally. She's gotten back the level of mental strength she was known for a few seasons back. I couldn't be more proud of her. I just knew she would still win in the end but that bagel :drool: made up for that loss of concentration in the second set.

When Maria's on, watch out. She's out to kill. Powerful, Accurate, Intense. Love it. :hearts:

Congrats on your 18th title, Mash! Damn, I just realized how much money she earns! That's a big hefty paycheck! It was funny to see her with the motorcycles...Is she getting all of them?

Vera, she seems like a really nice girl. That was a nice handshake at the net despite the bagel ending. Congrats on a great week and for winning that second set Vera. Stay positive for the rest of the season. Good luck! :D

The Sharapova Bakery just added to its growing list of customers. And Vera went back twice! :lol: :yippee: :dance: Keep it going Masha!

Basically everything I want to say. :hearts: (first part.)

I'm so happy for Maria, it's not even really sinking in how amazing all this winning is compared to the stuff that was happening last year, it's so nice, but I'm hardly even noticing it now, I'm more expecting in. Note to self: bask in this glow of incredible play. :drool:

I really really like Vera, her game is great. Hopefully she keeps moving on up.

And to whoever mentioned the IW/Miami double, I really want Maria just to win Miami at least. Two finals, she needs it, I want her on that winners list.

Monaco 84
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
WTA at its best :rolleyes:

I watched it from second set on, which Vera won 6-2. I already thought there could be an upset...and after winning the second set she doesnt win a single game anymore :weirdo:

I hope Vera comes back to top 15.
And Masha was loud as ever, but not all the time :)

akosiirwyn
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM
congrats on #18 ;)
Bepa :hug: great effort, especially the second set. :)

rrfnpump
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Vera :hug: awesome tournament, very proud.

well done, Masha, please keep winning :D

Russianboy
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
maria has given out 6 bagels so far this year, I think the record last year was about 11 bagels.. davai mash :drool:

eagles07
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Unlucky Vera ..But well done maria

Andy.
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
WoooHoooo Well done Masha. Title number 18 and counting. Great display in that last set.

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/5e/fullj.295d6a8fc8c20ad9629b1ed9609493dc/295d6a8fc8c20ad9629b1ed9609493dc-getty-tennis-wta-qat-rus-sharapova.jpg
Vera Zvonareva of Russia poses with her second place trophy after loosing the final tennis match of the 2.5 million US dollar Qatar Open WTA tournament to top seed Maria Sharapova of Russia in Doha on February 24, 2008. Sharapova maintained her unbeaten record in 2008 by claiming her second title of the year with a win over fellow Russian Zvonareva at the Qatar Open today.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8e/fullj.cb67b1120b39e5daab318c66b47bd8f3/cb67b1120b39e5daab318c66b47bd8f3-getty-tennis-wta-qat-rus-zvonareva.jpg
Vera Zvonareva of Russia returns to fellow Russian Maria Sharapova during their final tennis match at the 2.5 million US dollar Qatar Open WTA tournament in Doha on February 24, 2008

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/31/fullj.097568ffd3ad333661342c44c0b6aa14/097568ffd3ad333661342c44c0b6aa14-getty-79782820jj022_qatar_total_o.jpg
DOHA, QATAR - FEBRUARY 24: Maria Sharapova of Russia sits on a Harley Davidson motor bike she won after her final match against Vera Zvonareva of Russia on day seven of the WTA Qatar Total Open at the Khalifa International Tennis Complex on February 24, 2008 in Doha, Qatar. Sharapova won her match in three sets, 6-1, 2-6 and 6-0

Emina.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Maria :worship::worship::worship:

Vera,great week of tennis :hug:

Ben.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Well done Masha :yeah: she is on a hot streak :cool:
Keep it going! look at her on the motorcycle :lol:

Vera :hug: great week for you & lets hope your year will get better & better.

Pasta-Na
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM
almost a comeback from vera again :scared: :D

Slampova
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Congrats on title 18 Mash. Keep the momentum going in Dubai :D

~Kiera~
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Great tournament, Vera :hug:

Congrats, Maria!

Cat123
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Woohoo! :D Glad Maria won :hug: Although, what the hell happened in the middle?! Is she taking lessons from JJ on how to go walkabout?

tobi
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Congrats Maria ;)

It was a wonderful week for Vera,hopefully she can stay healthy and will have a great year ;)

Dan23
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
:woohoo: great win

good to see Vera Z in a final again too!

goldenlox
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Sharapova wins her 18th career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles title and her second of the season (she also won the Australian Open); she is now 18-7 lifetime in Tour singles finals.- Sharapova improves her record in Tier I level or above finals to 10-5 (3-1 in major finals, 1-1 in Tour Championships finals and 6-3 in Tier I finals); she now joins Amélie Mauresmo and Venus Williams at No.4 on the active list of Tier I singles title winners (Davenport is at No.1 with 11 titles).- Sharapova extends her unbeaten record in 2008 to 14-0 (7-0 at the Australian Open, 2-0 in Fed Cup and 5-0 in Doha); she also improves her 9-0 lifetime record in Doha (she was 4-0 in her only previous appearance, winning the title in 2005)- Zvonareva falls to 5-6 lifetime in Tour singles finals; her titles came at Birmingham and Cincinnati in 2006, Memphis in 2005 and 2004 and Bol in 2003; though she is 5-6 in finals she has seven runner-up finishes (she gave Daniilidou a walkover at Hobart this year due to a left ankle injury).- Sharapova now improves her head-to-head record with Zvonareva to 5-3 (her previous meeting with her compatriot came in the fourth round of Indian Wells last year, with Zvonareva triumphing in three sets).- Sharapova and Zvonareva were competing in the 12th all-Russian singles final in Sony Ericsson WTA Tour history; the last one took place in January 2007, when Chakvetadze defeated Bardina for the Hobart title.
- Sharapova remains at No.5 in the world rankings despite her title triumph; Zvonareva is set to rise from No.27 to No.21 after her runner-up finish.

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM

Awesome job! :kiss: :hearts:

Vera :awww: :hug:

V-MAC
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Congrats Maria :)

gary
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:11 AM
congrats Masha :woohoo: 2 titles of the year and 18 of the career!! :worship: :banana:
the Sharapova Bakery is very busy :lol: :devil:

Pheobo
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I'm happy that Vera made it this far...hopefully this is a sign of good things to come.

goldenslam888
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:55 AM
a motorcycle? what a great prize for a female pro tennis player.

Dan23
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:57 AM
a motorcycle? what a great prize for a female pro tennis player.
Yuri can ride it ;) it'd go well with his gangsta hood

safinismine
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Awesome motorcycle!

Svetlana.
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I liked the way Vera played a second set. :bounce:

Brengle_Nation
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Congrats to Maria but what an awesome 2nd set from Vera! That's a really good sign that she could do some damage on the tour this year.
It was certainly an entertaining final.

Pushkin
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Well I said Maria vs. Anna-Vera-Sveta. Guess I was right again!

Vamos.
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM

it was a very humble post you tramp.

xan
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yay, Maria! :bounce:
Two great sets, one - not so good. But still unbeaten this year.

Eugenia
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Congratulations Masha!!! :bigclap:

spiritedenergy
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM

well said!

and the nickname "bella"... :tape::help: