PDA

View Full Version : There's no comparison between Ana and Maria. Not yet, anyway.

tennisbear7
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ana has had less than a year as a top ten player. In that time, she has reached two slam finals, one semi and a fourth round at the USO. Only five titles to her name, though three have come in the last year.

Maria, on the other hand, has had three and a half years as a top tenner. Won three slams. One other final. Reached number one. 18 titles all up.

I am a realistic fan and aware of both the limitations of both their games. However, for the meantime, there is little comparison between Maria and Ana, and if there is, it is overwhelmingly in favour of Maria. Deluded fans that are out there to promote Ana and degrade Maria, are fighting a losing battle. Until Ana wins a slam, which I am inclined to believe will happen within this year or the next year or so, she hasn't really proven herself and to me, she is still therefore an up-and-comer, whereas Maria is like an established veteran at the ripe old age of 20!

So there are my two cents. Ana is nowhere near Maria in terms of tennis accomplishments, though this might change, who knows. I do, however, wish to see some humility in how some Maria fans are handling her success. It's a bit irritating when you know your favourite is the best player atm, but still not find happiness in this and aim to bash other players like Ana, who are clearly not up to Maria's standard yet (if ever).

Of course, spiritedenergy will come into this thread and say shit about Maria and hype up Ana. What a disgrace. So shut up, spiritedenergy. "who are you to tell me to shut up? get a life" he says, badrepping me. :haha:

cellophane
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Okay?

tennisbear7
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah, rant over. :D

joćo.
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM
ia

DimaDinosaur
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
who is spiritedenergy?

random fan
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Ana is the next best thing in Maria's generation. It is natural to compare them

Shoulderpova
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
sorry but Sharapova deserves a much better comparison

tenn_ace
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
who is spiritedenergy?

irrelevancy personified

Sharakim
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I consider Ana the real deal. She seemed to take that AO loss really hard and I'm inclined to believe that she's out to prove that she can win a slam in 2008. I really think she wants to show everyone that she's more than just a nice girl who can play tennis. Noice how she's been getting more and more aggressive on court, that's a byproduct of her surging confidence. She wants to be the first Serbian woman to win a grand slam and I think she will be.

Do I think Maria is the better player? No doubt, but it's not because she's got more talent or variety. Ana has plenty of variety, but she doesn't seem to know how to use it. Maria's game is simple but she implements it so well. That is a major difference between the two. Right now, Maria is playing steadier and smarter tennis than Ana and thats why she's winning. Moreover, Maria is twice the mental player that Ana is. In the AO final, I saw Ana look to her box a lot for reassurance. I don't think she should be doing that too much because it gives the impression that she always needs help.

If Ivanovic can improve her fitness and learn to steady her nerves in the big moments, she could very well win a slam in the next 18 months.

Emina.
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM

I agree, Ana has a very bright future ahead of her. The 2 of them will play many great finals in the future :) of course i will always cheer for Masha :hug:

TTomek
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ana's c'mon is much better then Sharapova's!

Dave.
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Maria is not the best player atm.

But you're right, you can't compare their tennis achievements right now. I do think Ana is more talented and has a better game, but Maria is far ahead right now in terms of achievements. Nether are all-time greats yet.

Cp6uja
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Ana and Maria comparasions:

1987 (april) - Maria is born
1987 (november) - Ana is born

2003 (june) - Maria reach TOP100 (finished season like #32)
2003 (october) - Ana reach TOP1000 (finished season like #705)

2004 (july) - Maria reach Wimbledon final and won (finished season like #4)
2004 (july) - Ana reach JUNIOR Wimbledon final and lose (finished season like #97)

2005 - only at RG Maria not reach GS SF (#4 end ranking)
2005 - Ana reach 1st GS QF and reach WTA TOP20 (#16 end ranking)

2006 - Maria won 2nd slam (USO) and reach WTA#1 where she back after reach AO 2007 final
2006 - Ana won 1st tier-I title but not reach some GS QF or semi of any other tournament

-------------------------- -------------------------- ------------------------

april 1987 - january 2007 Ana/Maria Summary:

Slams: Maria-2W+F, Ana-QF+R4
High Rank: Maria#1, Ana#14
Titles: Maria-15, Ana-2

I agree compare Ana and Maria in theys teenagers years realy dont have sense or theys careers overall so far because Maria is elite TOP player since 2004 and Ana only in last 12 months.

But in last 12 months Ana reach 2 slam finals and one SF, reach WTA#2 spot, won one tier-I (with one final) and 2 tier-II, won 15 TOP10 matches... so she deserve right now to be compared with anyone of current best players (including Maria).

Elldee
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:12 PM

But you're right, you can't compare their tennis achievements right now. I do think Ana is more talented and has a better game, but Maria is far ahead right now in terms of achievements. Nether are all-time greats yet.

I would consider Maria both the best player at the moment and even moreso, an all time great: three times grand slam champ, former world number one.

Carsten
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think it's not a great prediction if one says that Ana nerver will reach nearly Maria's level ;)

*Jool*
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I bet 10 bucks on spiritedenergy
:boxing:

anyway ... I really don't see the point of all these comparisons "who is the best ..." :rolleyes: who cares ? every player has her abilities, results ... and their fan should be happy about that , and the fact they're playing , being healthy , having good results ... not about comparing them to others .
The "mine is bigger than yours " attitude is pathetic IMO .

Wiggly
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Maria has 3 Slams. One Slam final. A former #1. A YEC Title.
Ana has two Slams finals. Best ranking is #2.

You can't compare them.
Maria leads H2H 3-2.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ana might be a little bit prettier. Give me Maria's career at the end of 2006 over Ana's at the end of 2008, probably.

LDF
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Who would you say is then?

Slutati
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Word!Ajdeeeee>>>>>>>>>>>>>>c'mooooooooooooon

Dave.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Who would you say is then?

Of course it's Justine! Maria has had 2 good tournaments. That doesn't mean everything from 2007 has changed.

ys
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Pretty much like Roddick is the next best thing in Federer's.. :lol:

joćo.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Maria's c'mons are too fierce, Ana's sound like a little girl screaming. :kiss:

Mikey B
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Maria has had 2 good tournaments. That doesn't mean everything from 2007 has changed.

actually everything from 2007 has changed! already a grand slam and tier 1 in 08 >>> a tier 1 in 07...

making the final of your past 3 tournaments is a great achievement for any player, so its not just two good tournaments.. im not expecting her to win every single tournament she plays but she's in a completely different league to the maria of 07, we saw that maria return in the second set today and what a contrast the third set was when the new and improved sharapova returned!

random fan
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM

I so hope that you are right :lol:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM

And Pova is like Federer of this generation ? :confused:

Dave.
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
actually everything from 2007 has changed! already a grand slam and tier 1 in 08 >>> a tier 1 in 07...

making the final of your past 3 tournaments is a great achievement for any player, so its not just two good tournaments.. im not expecting her to win every single tournament she plays but she's in a completely different league to the maria of 07, we saw that maria return in the second set today and what a contrast the third set was when the new and improved sharapova returned!

Yes of course Maria has had a better year so far..but Justine is still the big force on the tour.

Mikey B
Feb 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Yes of course Maria has had a better year so far..but Justine is still the big force on the tour.

yeh im not denying that... i just hope they meet in dubai, then we can see if maria is the real deal of 08 or it was just one great match agaisnt justine... interesting (and worrying for sharapova fans) that maria has never beat henin twice in a row, the next time they meet after a maria win justine and carlos always seem to come up with the right tactics to beat her!

Cp6uja
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Pretty much like Roddick is the next best thing in Federer's.. :lol:I agree 100% with this ATP comparation... That player which residence is in USA in early ages have by far more success than player which residence in Basel. He reach first slam title and #1 spot younger, but when player which live in Basel once overtake that player which live in America, than...

:devil: :ras: :nerner: :drool:

Mikey B
Feb 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I agree 100% with this ATP comparation... That player which residence is in USA in early ages have by far more success than player which residence in Basel. He reach first slam title and #1 spot younger, but when player which live in Basel once overtake that player which live in America, than...

:devil: :ras: :nerner: :drool:

i see where you're going with this, but if you're comparing players that have a big serve and a big forehand, there isnt a better comparisson that ivanovic and roddick!!! who are just serve and forehand players..

i hope that ana's career can pan out to be better than andy's, but she's just getting more and more pressure put on her day by day... hope she can live up to it..

heytennis
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Obviously there isn't too much of a comparison between them accomplishments-wise. But their level of play in the past few months is comparable.

Ana will probably win a slam this year.
Maria already has.

One is established, the other- not so much.

spiritedenergy
Feb 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ana has had less than a year as a top ten player. In that time, she has reached two slam finals, one semi and a fourth round at the USO. Only five titles to her name, though three have come in the last year.

Maria, on the other hand, has had three and a half years as a top tenner. Won three slams. One other final. Reached number one. 18 titles all up.

I am a realistic fan and aware of both the limitations of both their games. However, for the meantime, there is little comparison between Maria and Ana, and if there is, it is overwhelmingly in favour of Maria. Deluded fans that are out there to promote Ana and degrade Maria, are fighting a losing battle. Until Ana wins a slam, which I am inclined to believe will happen within this year or the next year or so, she hasn't really proven herself and to me, she is still therefore an up-and-comer, whereas Maria is like an established veteran at the ripe old age of 20!

So there are my two cents. Ana is nowhere near Maria in terms of tennis accomplishments, though this might change, who knows. I do, however, wish to see some humility in how some Maria fans are handling her success. It's a bit irritating when you know your favourite is the best player atm, but still not find happiness in this and aim to bash other players like Ana, who are clearly not up to Maria's standard yet (if ever).

Of course, spiritedenergy will come into this thread and say shit about Maria and hype up Ana. What a disgrace. So shut up, spiritedenergy. "who are you to tell me to shut up? get a life" he says, badrepping me. :haha:

drama queen anyone?:weirdo:

Why are you comparing them? Maria has won 3 slams and Ana 0, so there is no comparison. I bash Maria when I read the stupid threads her fans put up (Vietnam:tape:). And stop telling me to shut up, moreso applying it to yourself for the benefit of the whole forum:)

Matt01
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:49 PM
i see where you're going with this, but if you're comparing players that have a big serve and a big forehand, there isnt a better comparisson that ivanovic and roddick!!! who are just serve and forehand players.

Ana is not just a serve and forehand player like Roddick, she already has a more varied game than Roddick IMO.

Roddick is better looking, though ;)

spiritedenergy
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Ana is not just a serve and forehand player like Roddick, she already has a more varied game than Roddick IMO.

Roddick is better looking, though ;)

OMG go to Church:tape:

Matt01
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
OMG go to Church:tape:

Why? :wavey:

ys
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
But their level of play in the past few months is comparable.

Comparable? :confused:

maryjane
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
i just don't think we need to compare the two players.i don't understand why people want to compare them.yes,ur right.i think maria is a phenomenon and a great talented player.in her first final she destroyed serena williams.but maybe ana needs more time or maybe she'll never won a slam as obliously i don't hope.let's appreciate them at their best and a rilvalry if it will be.

Emina.
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
i just don't think we need to compare the two players.i don't understand why people want to compare them.yes,ur right.i think maria is a phenomenon and a great talented player.in her first final she destroyed serena williams.but maybe ana needs more time or maybe she'll never won a slam as obliously i don't hope.let's appreciate them at their best and a rilvalry if it will be.

I'm 100% sure Ana will win slams. The girl is too talented and hard working.

The Daviator
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM

So you're comparing Federer to Sharapova?

spiritedenergy
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Why? :wavey:

they will heal you:)

ys
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
So you're comparing Federer to Sharapova?

How many Slams did Federer win by the age of 21?

surferchicka
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
i think anas got a great future. honestly, shes way more consistent than sharapova. there have been very few times where ive seen sharapova play amazing. beating justine at the AO was one of the few times.

WIMBLY2004
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:59 AM
i think anas got a great future. honestly, shes way more consistent than sharapova. there have been very few times where ive seen sharapova play amazing. beating justine at the AO was one of the few times.

Is this a joke? :confused:

tennisbear7
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Maybe's she's talking within the last year or so, when Maria wasn't playing well at all. Ana is by far the more streaky player though.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Maybe's she's talking within the last year or so, when Maria wasn't playing well at all. Ana is by far the more streaky player though.

Even over the past year....

Sharapova in 2007:
F-SF-4R-4R-SF-SF-F-4R-W-SF-3R-2R-F

Ivanovic in 2007:
QF-QF-3R-F-QF-4R-2R-SF-3R-W-F-QF-SF-W-2R-4R-W-2R-2R-SF

The blue section is the only consistent length of time Ana has played in her career so far. 2008 is still young, however. The point stands. Sharapova finished SLIGHTLY behind Ana in 2007, but she was much more consistent in her results, even with it being her worst year.

tennisbear7
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I stand corrected.

Though, Ana had a better year and better results at the slams. In 2007.

WIMBLY2004
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM

It's not just the consistant part, but the whole post is wrong, Maria has way more amazing/significant/big wins than Ivanovic, just look at Ivanovic's result against the big names (Henin, Williams sisters) and compare that to Maria's.

WIMBLY2004
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I stand corrected.

Though, Ana had a better year and better results at the slams. In 2007.

How can 3R-F-SF-4R be better than F-SF-4R-3R? Ivanovic may have a better year than Maria, but she didn't have better results at slams in 2007.

tennisbear7
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Well, good question. I guess it's more of a Maria vs Ana standards thing. Reaching SF-F for Ana is great, whereas SF-F is like "so what" for Maria.

WIMBLY2004
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I got your point, sure Maria has higher standard considering her past results, but you can't apply that in comparision though, otherwise stupidenergy will claim Ivanovic is the GOAT. :lol:

hwanmig
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Ana has a gorgeous face and personality. Most importantly she'll win FO. The GS I'd surely have won had my parents taught me tennis earlier:angel:. Three things Sharapova doesn't have and will never have.

Marco Fernandes
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ana has a gorgeous face and personality. Most importantly she'll win FO. The GS I'd surely have won had my parents taught me tennis earlier:angel:. Three things Sharapova doesn't have and will never have.

Of course... and that's why Ana is the most searched in the beauty business... :lol:

Wake up mate ! We'll see who will win the FO earlier!

Maria is a tennis legend. Something Ana isn't yet, but i'm sure she'll be in the future.

Let's stay awake and don't mess things up.

bellascarlett
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM
:help:

You need new glasses.

Consistency has always been one of Sharapova's strengths. The few times you say you've seen Sharapova play amazing are still more in number than the times Ivanovic has played amazing. There's a reason one has 18 titles including three slams (all won with difficult draws) while the other has significantly won much less.

Sigh. Some people really need to go read up on facts on wtatour.com. It's so easy. Just type and click away. Year by year. Tournament by tournament. Match by match.

How can 3R-F-SF-4R be better than F-SF-4R-3R? Ivanovic may have a better year than Maria, but she didn't have better results at slams in 2007.

Well, good question. I guess it's more of a Maria vs Ana standards thing. Reaching SF-F for Ana is great, whereas SF-F is like "so what" for Maria.

Well there you go. This sums it up very well. And this backs up the point we were making about Maria's consistency being a strength. It's so normal to see her in the latter stages of slams. Here's one thing to think about - even though their slam results are pretty much the same (3R-F-SF-4R for Ana vs. F-SF-4R-3R for Maria), Ivanovic is seen to have had her best year in 2007 while Sharapova is seen to have had her worst year in 2007. Big big difference.

And that is why there is no comparison between the two at the moment.

mapaliey
Feb 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
who is spiritedenergy?

the most annoying poster...:lol:
she/he dislike hantuchova too

spiritedenergy
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
the most annoying poster...:lol:
she/he dislike hantuchova too

:weirdo:

I don't know why everyone is dragging me into this stupid thread, i do not compare the two and never did at the moment, there is nothing to compare.

tennisbear7
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:24 AM
:help:

You need new glasses.

Consistency has always been one of Sharapova's strengths. The few times you say you've seen Sharapova play amazing are still more in number than the times Ivanovic has played amazing. There's a reason one has 18 titles including three slams (all won with difficult draws) while the other has significantly won much less.

Sigh. Some people really need to go read up on facts on wtatour.com. It's so easy. Just type and click away. Year by year. Tournament by tournament. Match by match.

Well there you go. This sums it up very well. And this backs up the point we were making about Maria's consistency being a strength. It's so normal to see her in the latter stages of slams. Here's one thing to think about - even though their slam results are pretty much the same (3R-F-SF-4R for Ana vs. F-SF-4R-3R for Maria), Ivanovic is seen to have had her best year in 2007 while Sharapova is seen to have had her worst year in 2007. Big big difference.

And that is why there is no comparison between the two at the moment.

To be fair to Ana, it's not really appropriate to compare their slam results (sorry if this seems hypocritical somewhat) for 2007, because it was the first year Ana made a big splash at the slams. As I've said before, Ana has spent less than one year in the top ten. Maria has been a top tenner for what, 150-200 weeks? Big difference.