PDA

View Full Version : How so, some women players hit as hard as a male player?

Nicolás89
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
It looks like it.

I'd thought on that a bit and I think the reason could be that male players tend to play with a heavier top spin more than with a sloper flat spin as some women play, those flat shots would create more pace, right?

Another reason?

EDIT: I'm not saying that for ex. Venus Williams is stronger than for ex. Rafael Nadal, but her shots look to fly faster than his. :)

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
So that they can win their opponent with their power?:shrug:

IceHock
Also factor in they use different balls, the WTA tour uses a faster ball to speed their game up while the ATP uses a slower ball to slow it down.

*hingis_forever*
Maybe some female players hit as hard as male players but the ones that do seemingly have no control over where their shots go whereas the male players are still constructing points while hitting hard.

TheBoiledEgg
did you see Super Toaderling right now ??

random fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Also factor in they use different balls, the WTA tour uses a faster ball to speed their game up while the ATP uses a slower ball to slow it down.

Well I guess this means that comparing male-female serve statistics speed-wise is not legit hah

Nicolás89
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM

Thats true, but I've never read or heard that ATP balls slow down the game.

Just a few years ago all tournaments had their own tennis ball, the same for women or men, until last year, so how did Serena, Monica, Seles, Davenport, Sharapova, Venus hit as hard as male players back in earlys 00?

Corswandt
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM

Just saw the score and he butchered that boring puffballer Simon. Good. Someone like Simon winning titles on fast indoors is an abomination.

Anyways, women players don't hit as hard as the men. But they're probably much closer to the men in the power of their shots than they are in speed, athleticism and above all court coverage.

Nicolás89
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM

You know he hits harder than any male player, of course no women can hit as hard as him. :lol:

I'm not saying that for ex. Venus Williams is stronger than for ex. Rafael Nadal, but her shots look to fly faster than his. :)

Cp6uja
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Nothing strange if some of big girls like Lindsay, Venus, Maria or Ana hitting ball realy hard, but i'm sometime realy surprised with some Justine... or for example Mirza, Rezai, even Makiri shots... that is realy unexpected for me.

BTW... if we compare elite WTA players (TOP30) with #300 ATP chalenger players... mans still hit ball much harder (in average).

Slutiana
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Nothing strange if some of big girls like Lindsay, Venus, Maria or Ana hitting ball realy hard, but i'm sometime realy surprised with some Justine... or for example Mirza, Rezai, even Makiri shots... that is realy unexpected for me.

BTW... if we compare elite WTA players (TOP30) with #300 ATP chalenger players... mans still hit ball much harder (in average).

The men out of the top 300 hit the ball as hard as the men in the top ten, you know?

AcesHigh
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
A lot of female players hit a more flat ball... and also in comparison to the top 100, the top 25 hit harder.
..whereas, there are guys throughout the top 100 on the men's tour who can absolutely blast the ball and hit with so much pace. But if you don't have control, if you don't have other weapons, it doesn't matter.

shell
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I don't think the top women hit as hard as the top men, and I don't think they hit as hard as the top 100 men. Maybe one shot every now and then, but not consistently. Spin and all factored in, it just isn't going to happen.

Willam
Feb 24th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I dont know but i bet Aravane hits way more harder than a few (a lot) of players on the ATP... She hits so strong.. :eek:

V.Melb
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
No female players really hit as hard as a male player.
Some of the top women can perhaps hit a few shots as hard as a male player, but not with the same consistency or placement as their male counterparts.

I don't care who the female player is, she may be able to hit with a male for a few shots, but the mix of speed, consistency, extra spin that the male players have, leaves even the top WTA players well behind.

arbalest
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
BTW, the women only use faster, thin felt balls at the US Open and the Olympics. More women use extended length racquets, above 27" (starting with Seles and Capriati this has become the norm with Davenport, both Williams, Henin, Sharapova all +27). One of the hidden specs is that many pro frames have a flex rating above 70. If you look, for instance, at the special make up Head frames for pros at top serve tennis

http://www.topserve.com.au/

you will see the RDC flex ratings are well above retail. (These are real pro frames from the Aus Open at which Topserve is the official stringer).

As womens court coverage is going to be slightly less elastic then mens, planning a game around pace may have a somewhat higher value. They are more likely to hit flat with a gun racquet. Just my .02c.