PDA

View Full Version : Surprises of the match: Maria's lefty forehand and backhand slices

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Did everyone who watched see Maria's lefty forehand to save breakpoint?!...:hearts: That was awesome! :lol:

And I've never seen Maria hit a bunch of really good and effective backhand slices!...:drool: :drool:

One thing about Maria...love her or hate her...you just know that she works really hard at improving her game and it's been on show since the Australia.

cocco80
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
You could have written that in that other thread..
Pova has enough threads already..

Slutati
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Wow Maria is so amazing she hit a backhand slice!Let's all celebrate now:rolleyes:

bwahahahahaha
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Wow Maria is so amazing she hit a backhand slice!Let's all celebrate now:rolleyes:

Tatiana can't even do that :D

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM

Agree.
Now if Golovin had figured out how to hit any kind of backhand winner we should have celebrated it.

Sefo
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
The commentator said she just hit an improvised forehand slice but I didn't see it (I must've been blinking). Is that true?

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM

Yes, I am actually celebrating. :tape: :lol:

She's been improving her variety and for all the criticism she gets for not employing this shot or that shot...the display today was pretty good. ;)

papru
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
:lol: lmfao @ this thread :haha:
yes, she has finally learnt to hit sliced backhand :eek: :eek: :eek: :tape:
:secret: u know what, she even made one successful dropshot :tape: the second sucked though :lol:

Slutati
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Agree.
Now if Golovin had figured out how to hit any kind of backhand winner we should have celebrated it.
Tatiana can hit a backhand winner...down the line!She hit a few against Sharapova in Miami :pSo let's celebrate then :banana:

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
:secret: u know what, she even made one successful dropshot :tape: the second sucked though :lol:

:lol: No, I think it was the first one that sucked big time.

Sefo, I don't remember a forehand slice. Maybe next time...baby steps...:p

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM

and how many successful dropshots did Radwanska make today? :tape:
Oh wait... Sharapova killed both of them.

Btw, the first dropshot by Sharapova sucked, the second one was brilliant

Dave.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
So she can hit a backhand slice, that hardly means she has variety. But at least she is improving.

Sefo
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Hopefully Maria won't be that boring to watch for some from now on.
It's not just a BH slice, it was a winner or a shot that led to winning the point. It's a weapon in Maria's case. She used that against Justine at the AO.

Slutiana
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Did everyone who watched see Maria's lefty forehand to save breakpoint?!...:hearts: That was awesome! :lol:

And I've never seen Maria hit a bunch of really good and effective backhand slices!...:drool: :drool:

One thing about Maria...love her or hate her...you just know that she works really hard at improving her game and it's been on show since the Australia.

So does every other player in the top 500

Everything is massively exaggerated with Maria and although im beginning to like her, it still pisses me off majorly. You see all the commentators saying "OMG!!11 Maria has been working sooooooo hard on her movement.. Doing footwork drills and everything!!11." So does every other player in the top 500... Or else they wouldn't be in the top 500. If you're not fit enough to last 2 whole sets then you're not getting anywhere... In fact, Maria most probably works on her game LESS than players lower down. It just gets really annoying.

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM

Everything is massively exaggerated with Maria and although im beginning to like her, it still pisses me off majorly. You see all the commentators saying "OMG!!11 Maria has been working sooooooo hard on her movement.. Doing footwork drills and everything!!11." So does every other player in the top 500... Or else they wouldn't be in the top 500. If you're not fit enough to last 2 whole sets then you're not getting anywhere... In fact, Maria most probably works on her game LESS than players lower down. It just gets really annoying.

Yes of course every professional tennis player trains and works hard on improving their tennis...it is their job afterall. But I think you know know what I'm talking about. Sharapova is already a top player. She's won slams. She's been number one. But she continues to believe she can be so much better. For a young girl, her determination is outstanding. And I really believe she has wonderful work ethics and great discipline, which even if you are a professional tennis player, isn't always a given. And I think that is what the commentators are focusing on or alluding to. The impressive discipline is there despite the life she already has - the million dollar contracts, the photoshoots, the attention, the already great achievements in her young career, etc. etc. :)

Harju.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Agree.
:spit:

Mean but true. :sad:

cocco80
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yes of course every professional tennis player trains and works hard on improving their tennis...it is their job afterall. But I think you know know what I'm talking about. Sharapova is already a top player. She's won slams. She's been number one. But she continues to believe she can be so much better. For a young girl, her determination is outstanding. And I really believe she has wonderful work ethics and great discipline, which even if you are a professional tennis player, isn't always a given. And I think that is what the commentators are focusing on or alluding to. The impressive discipline is there despite the life she already has - the million dollar contracts, the photoshoots, the attention, the already great achievements in her young career, etc. etc. :)

You should copy/paste that on www.mariasharapova.com maybe they send you a signed ball or something.
Really..all you wrote is just some general stuff and the most of it applies to other girls (lets say inside top 20).

Yes..we all know that she's a great player and that she has to work very hard. That's given. Maybe you should write something we don't know..this is soooo boring!

cheo23
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM

UmM what is Wrong with you???

Emina.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
You should copy/paste that on www.mariasharapova.com maybe they send you a signed ball or something.
Really..all you wrote is just some general stuff and the most of it applies to other girls (lets say inside top 20).

Yes..we all know that she's a great player and that she has to work very hard. That's given. Maybe you should write something we don't know..this is soooo boring!

Gosh you are soooooo boooring!! you are everywhere in every Maria thread! :weirdo:

Matt01
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
and how many successful dropshots did Radwanska make today? :tape:
Oh wait... Sharapova killed both of them.

Obviously you haven't seen the match. The next, please.

random fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Well this talk about hardwork is fine and all, but lets not forget that she has awesome drillmasters: michael and dad, which makes it so much easier. On the other hand she worked had to put herself in that position to be able to afford quality trainers in the first place.

cocco80
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Gosh you are soooooo boooring!! you are everywhere in every Maria thread! :weirdo:

Not true..
it's just that every other is about Pova.
This one is a great example of that. She hits backhand slice and there's new thread popping in GM.

Boooring.
:smash:

To be more precise.. I have no problem with Masha (I even like the girl) but this fanOmania has to stop. I would feel the same if it were for some of my faves. Nothing to do with Masha whatsoever.

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM

Hey, maybe I will do that. :D I hope I get a signed dress though! :o Seriously, then don't bother to reply if you find it boring enough. I mean, to even reply twice* in this thread you call boring...get out then! Gosh, you seem to have a big problem in your hands! :lol:

*Edit: Make that thrice now! :lol:

AcesHigh
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Is it a crime for Maria fans to celebrate??

Give them a break. Sharapova has been kicking ass.

Emina.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Not true..
it's just that every other is about Pova.
This one is a great example of that. She hits backhand slice and there's new thread popping in GM.

Boooring.
:smash:

To be more precise.. I have no problem with Masha (I even like the girl) but this fanOmania has to stop. I would feel the same if it were for some of my faves. Nothing to do with Masha whatsoever.

No, you dont like her ,everyone can see that :) but that doesnt matter actually its your choice.
As for the threads why not ignore them? :) its perfecty normal when fans praise their favourite's game..Maria is playing great tennis so we are allowed be excited about that :)

jacobruiz
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Is it a crime for Maria fans to celebrate??

Give them a break. Sharapova has been kicking ass.

Thank You!!:worship:
We're proud of our girl for making tennis a priority and working so hard to improve. Maria's movement has always been a weak spot but she has really gotten better in that department as well.:D

gumoll
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't see a thread about her one great dropshot from that match :(

cocco80
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM

Give them some time :lol:

jacobruiz
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM

Well, you could start one.:shrug:

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM

Why don't you start one then? I'm sure cocco80 will play a Debbie Downer in that as well. :lol:

Tamus
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
:haha: at all the haters. Bitter much?

Corswandt
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Agree.

:haha:

Corswandt
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM

Much like that young woman in your av. :yawn:

Corswandt
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Anyways, Maria used some touch shots on this match because some were needed to deal with Radwanska's junk, and in other occasions because Radwanska's puffballs gave her the time she needed to go for them.

But it's not like those were decisive.

Jogi
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
I thought she played like a machine today, killing every shot, hardly missing, ... annoyingly good
she was trying a bit hard at the beginning, but in the end was successful with some slices and drop-shots, excellent performance today, can't see anyone beating her if she keeps playing at this level
still, her fighting spirit is what's impressing me the most

stevos
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
LMFAO at the hatorade drinkers. It's so obvious when someone jumps into a thread just to call it boring.

Anyway, didn't see it, but I enjoy this thread a lot, because for those of us who don't get to see the match, it's good to hear that she is playing well and also still continuing to switch things up.

People will continue to call her one-dimensional until every shot of hers is a slice or a dropshot, so it doesn't really bother me when kids come in here to hate. This is Maria's time, might as well enjoy it while it lasts. :drool:

Dodoboy.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
I love MARIA fans :hug:

random fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
I love MARIA fans :hug:

I love them too :lol: probably because I am just an egoist though..

Arhivarius
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM

Yeah. It's nice to watch how she is improving in all departments.
I was impressed how often she was coming to the net. She is becoming the all-court player.
Must be scary for some other girls. :D
She was winning before even being somewhat one-dimensional. And what she is capable of now and in future having become the improved and matured version of herself?
Hopefully, we'll enjoy watching the answer in next couple of years. :)

geoepee
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
LMFAO at the hatorade drinkers. It's so obvious when someone jumps into a thread just to call it boring.

Anyway, didn't see it, but I enjoy this thread a lot, because for those of us who don't get to see the match, it's good to hear that she is playing well and also still continuing to switch things up.

People will continue to call her one-dimensional until every shot of hers is a slice or a dropshot, so it doesn't really bother me when kids come in here to hate. This is Maria's time, might as well enjoy it while it lasts. :drool:
i have nothing to add to this convo, just like the fact that you said haterade drinkers. :spit: hey steve :wavey:

Mina Vagante
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I can hit better left handed shots !

random fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
I can hit better left handed shots !

lol good one :lol:

stevos
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
i have nothing to add to this convo, just like the fact that you said haterade drinkers. :spit: hey steve :wavey:

:lol: It's a fun term eh?
Hey George! If my xbox live worked, we'd be playing top spin right now, but it doesn't. :(

Andy.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
:haha: at all the haters. Bitter much?
I know its pathetic :rolleyes:

Mina Vagante
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
lol good one :lol:

:lol:No, i actually can :o

Slutiana
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
UmM what is Wrong with you???
UmMmmm!!??////?!111

YoU teLl mE... :shrug:

I agree 100% with that. Watching her play tennis, you can see her determination every time she steps onto the court. I admire her for it and always will. Maybe if I was half as commited as her i'd be going to where the male counterparts are at now. It's definatly a gift and I only see four players with that kind of obvious spirit and heart on the tennis court and I think you know who Im talking about (although Serena barely demonstrates it off the tennis court :o).

Having said that, it still makes me cringe everytime a thread like this is opened for those four players - all of them, even my favourites. I admire the people more who have less than a fraction of the talent that someone like Maria, Serena, Venus or Henin have but put in so much more hard work and end up getting somewhere. And it's those people we never hear about.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to think anymore (:o) so im just gonna stop now but I hope you get the pic. Im not trying to bash anyone or anything (well, apart from some of those stupid commentators). But yeah. :)

Oh, and to the h8trzzzzzz, one day, Tati's backhand is gonna be good. Just you watch! :fiery:

Sefo
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm sure if other players would learn to do it, it would be talked about just as much. I mean top players who hasn't done it before.
You can't call Maria one-dimensional no more, and that hurts some.
Who ever thought that two years ago?

*JR*
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Surprised nobody noted ITT that Masha is a natural lefty, so its not as hard for her to hit with her left hand as for most players. (I hope she doesn't join some orange juice cult and get "rescued" by a Career Conman). :help: