PDA

View Full Version : Would you agree that Aga Radwanska is the most cunning player on the WTA Tour?

GoDominique
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Which is pretty amazing, considering she's only 18. BTW, this is not a response to that other thread and not about the match in progress either.

I find it extremely refreshing that there is a player who is using the most neglected body part in women's tennis on court: the brain.
First of all, Aga is so cool, always. Whether she's playing top seeds at Grand Slams on Center Court, whether she's down 0-6 0-2 and getting thrashed, or like yesterday when she lost a tough 2nd set and was down 0-2 in the 3rd. She doesn't care.
Then, she is like the only player on tour right now who can actually adjust her game to her opponent and the situation. For example yesterday, she realised that Cibulkova was getting a little tired, so what does she do? She keeps hitting drop-shots although they hadn't been successful until then. She uses the drop-lob combination multiple times, tiring her out even more and driving her crazy. And it worked perfectly.
That's just one small example. I also liked what she did against Maria at the US Open. It is entirely within the rules, so if she thinks that is what she has to do to win, more power to her. Too many players waste their chances against top-players by doing nothing.

There's much more. But just watch her play and count the times she's making fundamental errors of any kind. I bet you won't find many.

In my opinion she is the female Brad Gilbert, all the way down to the horrible second serve. :worship:

cocco80
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I agree 100%. As I was saying yesterday I love her composure and her cool head throughout the match winning or losing. It's so obvious she is using her brain as she's hitting those pretty shots of hers.
She was growing on me for some time now and I've just realized I'm a fan.

She's one tough polish cookie :)

Go Aga!

LCS
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Female Brad Gilbert??? LOL You lost me there...Brad didn't exactly get Roddick to use his brain did he!?

Slutati
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Yes she is very, very clever!It's so refreshing to see a youngster that plays like that.You go Aga:yeah:

+/-
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Yes I'm impressed with her brain play as well. Like all of you said, very refreshing!!

serenus_2k8
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Yeh, it really makes for great viewing :D

aguy9797
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
agree 100%, those who think tennis is only about hitting hard, and then hitting harder won't appreciate her game, but for me Aga's varity is very impressive

Leo_DFP
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Female Brad Gilbert??? LOL You lost me there...Brad didn't exactly get Roddick to use his brain did he!?

No no, Brad was actually a player in his day. And he was known for "Winning Ugly" - he wrote a book about it. Like Radwanska, he didn't have huge weapons or a big serve, but he knew how to play percentages, drive his opponents nuts, and capitalize on opportunities. I believe he made it to #4 in the world career-high and the semis of a GS, as well as winning a bunch of smaller titles.

I think Aga has an even more successful career ahead of her. I can't wait to watch her more on TV when she's higher ranked.

Sassy-Na
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
sorry my bad... i was guessing the meaning of "cunning" :scared: thought it was a dirty word :rolls:

stevos
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Nice, Brad Gilbert. :lol: Good comparison.

Yeah, obviously I was a bit bitter after the US Open, but now that I look back and after seeing her play a few times, I would agree that she is one of the best these days at this, and it's great to see.

I just wish she'd have some more consistent results, and not good tournaments spread out, but I suppose that will come with time. I love some brain. :drool:

morningglory
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Nope, she still has a ways to go before she matches Martina H or Justine... gamewise of course...

papru
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
well said :yeah: and 100% true :D

BMP
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, I agree. There are enough reasons to think she has a great career ahead! :D

Sefo
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Aga has a cool mental, just like the german Kohlschriber. But that doesn't mean she's under control of everything. She needs to be more offensive and get a serve.

justine schnyder
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Agree (With the 1st post) :)
Aga :D :kiss:

Emina.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
she's a smart girl that's obvious ;)

Jachal
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah, Aga has got the whole arsenal (apart from a juicy serve) and makes a full use of it. The great thing about her is that she adjusts so well and reads the game quite fenomenal for a 18 year old. She sorta is a fusion of Hingis and Farina-Elia in the skills department.

Makes you really wanna wonder what she could achieve if she had a better serve - I hope she can do sth with it, coz it would be a pity if she would steal the award for "worst serve of the year" from Dementieva :devil:

Apart from it, she's got all it takes to hurt the big names. :worship:

spriwi
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
she's certainly among the most cunning, i agree :)

i want to ad her dropshot strategy: she uses it almost every time her opponent has to run down a ball far behind the baseline. i loved the marked dropshot in the first set today against sharapove: maria started running, but it came out to be a long slice, which made maria run there and back looking awkward and of course losing the point :angel:

Imperfect Angel
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I just love her being so calm on court.:hearts:

Destiny
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Defo to the first post
Love the way she tried shots against Maria and made her doudt her ability to hit a drive volley

Love her game now

Love her now, nice and cool headed:worship:

Darop.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I can't stand her, and I wouldn't say she's the MOST cunning, but it must be said that she can sure use her brain, which can't be said about most players :yeah:

mckyle.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Who knows, with some good draws and a few more smaller titles, she could be Top 10 by the end of the year.

iPatty
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
If the opponent is focused and capable of hitting winners, she is quite easy to handle. Just look at what Hantuchova did to her in Melbourne. She is cunning, I suppose, but still pushes the ball too much for my liking. She needs to beef up her game to ascend to the top level of the game.

Wayn77
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I see real natural talent.

One of those players, good to watch live and up close. Big bad Maria had a real scrap on her hands today, and she knew it. A match-up that seemed to bring the best out of both them. The closest 6-4, 6-3 you are ever likely to see.

If Aga can ditch the moon-balling, the drop-shots and get a serve ... this girl is going all the way.

mckyle.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
If Aga can ditch the moon-balling, the drop-shots and get a serve ... this girl is going all the way.

lol.

The drop-shots and moon-balling are why we are talking about how good she is. She has variety. Not the Henin-like variety, but it's still variety.