PDA

View Full Version : Asia to set up own tour

Harvs
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
This is taken from the "Keep it brief" section of Australia's Herald Sun:

Asia broke away from its agreement with Australia to begin its independant circuir yesterday after criticising the failure of the governing bodies to develop the sport in the region. The breakaway has implications for the Australian Open, which has been known as the grand slam of Asia-Pacific. Young Asian players will no longer go to Melbourne as part of their reward for doing well.

Just wondering, does anyone know anything else about this? I don't really understand exactly what it means lol.

Sorry if somehting about this has already been posted?

:)

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
If it's true :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

kittyking
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
I pressume this has something to do with Asia trying to have it's own Grand Slam

Harvs
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
i just wonder... it seems like big news to me? and yet it was a very small article... although that jsut might be the aussie media trying to play it down?

but i would have thought more articles would have emerged about it?

kittyking
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
...;12566765']i just wonder... it seems like big news to me? and yet it was a very small article... although that jsut might be the aussie media trying to play it down?

but i would have thought more articles would have emerged about it?

Well Tennis Australia would probably want to down play it if it's a step for a 5th Grand Slam. TA will still wan't to be known as the Grandslam of Asia-Pacific

Slutati
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well, Jankovic would probably like to play here too

kittyking
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM

If it's a Grand Slam then probably every single player would like too...except maybe Muller :o

Harvs
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
but i think by circuit... they mean like tournies opposite the AO series aswell maybe? i duno..

kittyking
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
My guess is that more information won't be known for awhile, especially not if China is looking at leading the Asia tour :tape:

ce
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
i think its for ATP players

Pasta-Na
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
kittyking :fiery: :(

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM

lol lol

Slumpsova
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
i wonder who will join this tour :o
maybe a Veitnamese girl who starts her career with a mosquito racquet :tape:

serenus_2k8
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Sounds kinda weird to me...I dont see what they gain from this?

NeeemZ
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
i think its for ATP players

I think it's a completely different issue but almost regarding another tour creation for asian players.

The asian tennis federation wanted 25% of all ATP tournament fields to consist of asian tennis players, or they were going to create their own circuit. The ATP then told the asian federation that their request would not be met.

This idea by the Asian federation is almost prepostorous in regards to their ATP request considering that currently only one asian player is ranked in the Top 100.

NeeemZ
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:48 PM
Sounds kinda weird to me...I dont see what they gain from this?

I see it as a boycott in order for both the WTA and ATP and the ITF to bow down and give in to the needs of whatever Asia wants in order to keep Asia involved in the circuit, whatever their needs are.

Wiggly
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:49 PM
Actually, the ITFs in Asia are a complete joke. It's unknow Asians battling out in ramdom cites nobody ever heard of.

The 25% thing is ridiculous. You're in a certain draw because of your ranking, not your ethnicy.

Goai
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Well why not. The Australian open didn't support them and Asian countries don't have many tournaments and opportunity (expect Japan, maybe China). Would love to see the revival of some of the old events like the Malaysian Open.

Langers
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:40 AM
...;12566736']This is taken from the "Keep it brief" section of Australia's Herald Sun:

Asia broke away from its agreement with Australia to begin its independant circuir yesterday after criticising the failure of the governing bodies to develop the sport in the region. The breakaway has implications for the Australian Open, which has been known as the grand slam of Asia-Pacific. Young Asian players will no longer go to Melbourne as part of their reward for doing well.

Just wondering, does anyone know anything else about this? I don't really understand exactly what it means lol.

Sorry if somehting about this has already been posted?

:)
Great news for Tennis Australia.

Cya Kia Motors.

Renalicious
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Boo :o

aussie_fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah i saw that in the Herald Sun as well, very odd.

Asian Tennis Federation really need to get a grip.

Vut
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
I thinks this not so surprise!...

"The Grandslam of Asia/Pacific" but TA give 1 WC of Asian player :mad:

safinismine
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Vut makes a good point. Why not just increase the number of WCs for Asian Players at the AO ? Maybe then the Asian Tennis Fed will let the matter go.

A Magicman
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
The asian tennis federation wanted 25% of all ATP tournament fields to consist of asian tennis players, or they were going to create their own circuit. The ATP then told the asian federation that their request would not be met.

This idea by the Asian federation is almost prepostorous in regards to their ATP request considering that currently only one asian player is ranked in the Top 100.

We are always self-flagellating how arrogant the Western world acts towards other cultures. We (the West) should not assume that Asia will act differently than us when given enough power and money.

This brazen demand is just a part of the whole thing.

Asians, you get into a tournament through accomplishments and not provenance. Period.

aussie_fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
I thinks this not so surprise!...

"The Grandslam of Asia/Pacific" but TA give 1 WC of Asian player :mad:

Please tell me why the hell we should give asia more than 1 wildcard. It's bloody greedy and just really annoys me.

Rik.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
:o

sd3300123
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
I heard the prize money of AO is not as high as the other three,so Doha or Dubai want to hold this"The Grandslam of Asia/Pacific"

Dont know whether true or not

safinismine
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
^Doubt it. Dubai and Doha already have good tournments.