PDA

View Full Version : Will Radwanska use gamesmanship for the second time against Maria?

@danieln1
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
We all remember that infamous match that Maria lost in that US Open third round, and we all know that Radwanska did waiting Maria´s second serve, will she do that again tomorrow? I think she will, but this time Maria should be prepared against this poor display of gamesmanship...
Here´s a video where Tracy Austin and Jim Courier discuss about that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8knA5g2x3E

Emina.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
quotes...

Radwanska:
"She was the favorite and I think she was more nervous," Radwanska said.
At times, Radwanska walked nearly halfway from the baseline to the net as Sharapova got ready, then backed off at the last second.
"I knew that she hates [it] if somebody is moving on the serve," Radwanska said, her braces gleaming in the sunlight. "She made many mistakes."

Maria:
"It will be interesting to see if she does it again next time I play her." maria, after being asked what she thinks about radwanska's tactic moves before her 2nd service. :)

goldenlox
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'm sure Maria will scream when she hits the ball, and take as long as she wants between points.
I don't know if Aga will move as Maria starts her serve.

Slutati
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
What gamesmanship?:rolleyes:

Kworb
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
I hope she doesn't do it. It's almost as bad and annoying as Djovokic's ball bouncing.

thrust
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Well it seems as this tier 1 has all the top players gone early, so Maria will have no tougher competition than Justine did in Antwerp.

Chris 84
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Gamesmanship my ass :lol:

Monica_Rules
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
What gamesmanship? Its a totally acceptable tactic. Bartoli does it, the williams sisters have done something similar. Hell even Monica used to do it.

Pheobo
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
How is that gamesmanship? It's purely tactical. If your opponent is hitting second serves that you can take advantage of, the smart thing to do is move in and pounce on it.

At their best, the WS, Davenport, Seles, and Capriati, Henin and Pierce all did/do this. Sharapova does it as well. Why is it "gamesmanship" when Radwanska does it?

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Aga is a very smart player. I wouldn't be surprised if she beat Maria.

Wayn77
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Well, if she is hopping around before the serve ... at least her plimsolls are hopping ..... quietly.

To quote the previous poster: gamesmanship my ass.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Well it seems as this tier 1 has all the top players gone early, so Maria will have no tougher competition than Justine did in Antwerp.

Right.

Antwerp semifinals:
Henin - #1
Bacszinksy (I cannot spell her name) - #94
Li - #33
Knapp - #47

Doha semifinals:
Sharapova - #5
Radwanska - #20
Li - #29
Zvonareva - #27

Sharapova's lost to Radwanska and Zvonareva. Something tells me Sharapova's competition, at least on paper, is much tougher than Justine's. But you can only beat who's in front of you, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

debby
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
:yawn: Gamesmanship.

Get it together. :tape:

papru
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Gamesmanship? :tape:
:secret: look it up in dictionary first

Destiny
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Gamesmanship
I remeber when this happened
Thought it was a smart move

Come on Aga
love Maria but she needs to lose:help:

[S@nti]
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
That's not gamesmanship AT ALL

NeoZod19
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Gamesmanship
I remeber when this happened
Thought it was a smart move

Come on Aga
love Maria but she needs to lose:help:

Why is that? :rolleyes:

Volcana
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
this poor display of gamesmanship...That wasn't a poor display of gamesmanship. She did it very well, and it worked. If we could remove coaching and shreiking from the Sharapova arsenal, I might be a bit more upset by Radwanska. As things stand, at worst it's being obnoxious within the rules while playing a cheater.

I use the word 'cheater' here advisedly. Accepting coaching is cheating. If the player in question is a minor, I'll generally cut them some slack. Once they can enter contracts on their own, they're also responsible. Either the person doing the coaching stops, or the player can't permit them into the friends box.

For example, if Orecene Pryce is yelling 'Hit to her backhand! Hit to her backhand!' from the friends box, and Serena doesn't stop her, Serena is cheating. OTOH, general cheering like 'C'mon, 'move your feet', 'show some spirit' I can live with. I don't expect the players' friends and family to be robots.

kolan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
aga - gamesmanship, you must be joking right? :help: :lol:

Tamus
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Gamesmanship? :tape:
:secret: look it up in dictionary first

Why don't you, jackass?

games·man·ship
n.
1. The art or practice of using tactical maneuvers to further one's aims or better one's position
2. The use in a sport or game of aggressive, often dubious tactics, such as psychological intimidation or disruption of concentration, to gain an advantage over one's opponent.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gamesmanship

Tamus
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
How is that gamesmanship? It's purely tactical. If your opponent is hitting second serves that you can take advantage of, the smart thing to do is move in and pounce on it.

At their best, the WS, Davenport, Seles, and Capriati, Henin and Pierce all did/do this. Sharapova does it as well. Why is it "gamesmanship" when Radwanska does it?

Did you watch the match?
None of those players you mention did what Radwanska did. Radwanska would move in, then back up during Maria's ball toss. She didn't move in and "pounce" on it. She did it purely to get in Maria's head, and admitted it. It is gamesmanship, but it is legal, and it's not the reason Maria hit 12 DFs. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but call it what it is.

slamchamp
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Hey maria blinded haters, it was obviously gamesmanship :shrug: ...Neither bartoli or the williams does that :confused: she was practically dancing at Maria's toss

sammy01
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:23 AM
well when maria starts taking 20 seconds between points and stops holding servers up (which cant even be called gamesmanship because it against the rules), aga will stop dancing before returning.

slamchamp
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
well when maria starts taking 20 seconds between points and stops holding servers up (which cant even be called gamesmanship because it against the rules), aga will stop dancing before returning.
well u learn something new everyday

Mikey.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Why don't you, jackass?

games·man·ship
n.
1. The art or practice of using tactical maneuvers to further one's aims or better one's position
2. The use in a sport or game of aggressive, often dubious tactics, such as psychological intimidation or disruption of concentration, to gain an advantage over one's opponent.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gamesmanship

:worship:

wukenaihe
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Go cruch this little bitch, Maria!!!

@danieln1
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Hey maria blinded haters, it was obviously gamesmanship :shrug: ...Neither bartoli or the williams does that :confused: she was practically dancing at Maria's toss

Finally someone understood... yeah, here it´s full of Maria haters!
And it should be really "great" when you´re preparing to serve your second serve, you see across the net someone "practically dancing".
For the poster that asked for the dictionary definition of gamesmanship :

You have to be really ignorant saying that the polish player didn´t disrupt Maria´s concentration

Slutati
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
If Maria can shriek than Aga can dance!

heytennis
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
I think it was gamesmanship.

And yes, I think she will use it again tomorrow but I'm sure Maria will be ready. Maybe she got Michael Joyce to dance around in practice.

Bruno71
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
I think it was gamesmanship.

And yes, I think she will use it again tomorrow but I'm sure Maria will be ready. Maybe she got Michael Joyce to dance around in practice.

Maybe Aga got her coach to scream like he was being murdered in practice too.

Mikey.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM

:haha: I'm a Maria fan, but that was a classic. I laughed. :haha:

heytennis
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:01 AM

Yeah I'm in no way saying that Maria doesn't use gamemanship herself. Just stating the obvious - dancing at the service line is NOT fair.

Andy.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
You are allowed to take 20 secs between points

sammy01
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:17 AM

yeah i know and she takes 30 to 40 so when she starts taking 20 or less then i'll be happy!

most players use sportsmanship, i just hate players taking loads of time (except mary pierce somehow she was just, because that hair needed yanking, her eyelashes needed twitching and her hand was only half as good without a blow on it before a point). i guess we all no when players are using gamesmanship, its just the delay of game one, bores me and i just like them to get on with it.

sd3300123
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Good luck,Radwanska

TTomek
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
disruption of concentration

and the loud grunt is not making it? :rolleyes:

TTomek
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
and this tactic Aga used only in third set :p

SV_Fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:31 AM
That's not gamesmanship.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:34 AM

CLASSIC!! :haha:

dybbuk
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:35 AM

On her serve of course, but you are supposed to play at the server's pace, not come to the line on your own time like Maria, Daniela, and a few others do. Not against the rules, but it's gamesmanship all the same. ;)

mankind
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah I'm in no way saying that Maria doesn't use gamemanship herself. Just stating the obvious - dancing at the service line is NOT fair.

I don't get this. Sharapova has herself done this right throughout her career, making quick sharp movements during the opponent's serve preparation and toss (in varying degrees, at the AO 07 against Pin she was dancing at the service line towards the end...and it won her the match). And guess what, a lot of other players do it too, because there's nothing wrong with it. During the US Open, here was Radwanska, a young girl, who has the US Open champ, low on confidence (particularly on serve) on the ropes in a match, tell me what kind of numbskull wouldn't do exactly what she did during the serve preparation?

Mr_Molik
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM
it would be fine if she was actually going to return the serve from there, but she was moving back to the baseline during sharapova's service motion :rolleyes: will be good to see maria smash her next time they play.

morningglory
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Doubt it'll affect the outcome... and whether it should be classified as gamesmanship or not is also irrelevant...

DimaDinosaur
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Radwanska is a typical ugly girl who thinks she's hot :vomit:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
I'm expecting to see body serves the first time Aga decides to move in.

I have a feeling Maria is going to be ruthless out there today :(

faboozadoo15
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Did you watch the match?
None of those players you mention did what Radwanska did. Radwanska would move in, then back up during Maria's ball toss. She didn't move in and "pounce" on it. She did it purely to get in Maria's head, and admitted it. It is gamesmanship, but it is legal, and it's not the reason Maria hit 12 DFs. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but call it what it is.

I don't see how people don't recognize this as gamesmanship. Gamesmanship isn't illegal. They need to watch the clip to get a good explanation.

Seles pounced on serves when she moved in on them. Aga moved back 8-10 fett during the ball toss. HUGE difference.

So Disrespectful
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
It's just as bad as Ana squeaking her shoes.

Ova
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Maria will beat her like a red-headed step child.

My apologies to offended red-headed step children who have been beaten.

Agassi Fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Come On Aga!!!

Renalicious
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Like Maria can talk about gamesmanship...she shrieks just to distract her opponent.

I hope Aga wins.

faboozadoo15
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM

My apologies to offended red-headed step children who have been beaten.

:haha:

Viktymise
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
:spit: Sharapova fans crying gamesmanship.

Andrew Laeddis
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:46 AM
william sisters, bartoli etc. dont do what radwanska did. they step inside the baseline a little and return there. radwanska was pratically in the service box as if she were going to volley the second serve and hoping around while doing so and didnt even return from the position. she backed all the way up as soon as maria service motion began. it is simply something pros dont do. it was a junior move and obviously one radwanksa had to do in order to win the match. i dont mind gamesmanship (grunts,injury tie out,shoe squeaking) but i found radwanska to be very annoying.

Andrew Laeddis
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Like Maria can talk about gamesmanship...she shrieks just to distract her opponent.

I hope Aga wins.

u do know that venus and serena grunt too, dont you? its a part of maria games. not doin would require her to concentrate on not grunting instead of her tennis (kinda like seles in the wimbledon final).

Renalicious
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
I like Maria but seriously, I think she does it on purpose to distract people. Venus and Serena have been grunting all their lives but back when Sharapova was younger, she never did it. Also, when she is practicing, a lot of people have said that she doesn't grunt, so therefore I think her shriek is put on.

faboozadoo15
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Sharapova has grunted her whole life. She grunted louder than Seles @ Indian Wells. She's so much quieter now, it's almost ridiculous to compare.

Seles/Venus/Serena don't grunt in practice either.

doujyr
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
two wrongs don't make a right. radwanska is a cheat pure and simple. look at her "injury" timeout during the pattaya final taken just before jill was to serve for the match.

meb
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
two wrongs don't make a right. radwanska is a cheat pure and simple. look at her "injury" timeout during the pattaya final taken just before jill was to serve for the match.

It was Agnieszka to serve for the match and this timeout wasn't fake. Next time check the facts out.

Beat
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
but that's not what she did.

doujyr
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
It was Agnieszka to serve for the match and this timeout wasn't fake. Next time check the facts out.

wrong, it was 6-5 craybas. and waiting till then to get blisters treated? :rolleyes:

BMP
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Pova grunts like insane, so why can't Aga at least dance?

slamchamp
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Pova grunts like insane, so why can't Aga at least dance?
lol at least? what more do u want aga to do? beat maria in the face?:lol:

gmak
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
the difference is that maria is serving A LOT BETTER now...

Emina.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
honestly I don't care!
Maria was injured in 2007, she wasn't feeling well on court.
Now she's in good form.She's confident she can beat anyone in the world. And she's the better player. She should win in 2.
Radwanska's moving won't disturb her.

Good luck,Maria! :worship:

mankind
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't see how people don't recognize this as gamesmanship. Gamesmanship isn't illegal. They need to watch the clip to get a good explanation.

Seles pounced on serves when she moved in on them. Aga moved back 8-10 fett during the ball toss. HUGE difference.

Oh, who gives a shit? Radwanska moved around, let's all cry about it, I bet you weren't crying when Sharapova acted a right heartless bitch against Golovin - oh it's competitive tennis, "I can't be Mother Teresa and a winner at the same time" - which one is worse, honestly? Let Radwanska et al do what they have to do to win - I'm sure Sharapova feels the same way, and if she doesn't she needs to take a good hard look at her own behaviour.

Dan23
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
This will be interesting....pity theres no coverage here. Its no big deal, Maria has a lot less on her plate now so she'll be better equipped to handle any dancing.
The funniest thing about all this was Aga talking in the interview at the USO about it like shes top shit. :o

yeah i know and she takes 30 to 40 so when she starts taking 20 or less then i'll be happy!pure :bs:
30-40 seconds is ridiculous....when Maria got a warning at the AO she wasnt even doing 20 seconds....the chair ump was just on a high horse.

My apologies to offended red-headed step children who have been beaten.:spit: :lol:

I like Maria but seriously, I think she does it on purpose to distract people. Venus and Serena have been grunting all their lives but back when Sharapova was younger, she never did it. Also, when she is practicing, a lot of people have said that she doesn't grunt, so therefore I think her shriek is put on.:haha: ive seen videos of Maria at age 8 shrieking just the same. She also does shriek when practicing serving and hitting at full pace.

sammy01
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
dan 23 do you honestly believe that from the end of the last point to the begining of the next (and thats not sharapova tucking her hair in or bouncing the ball, the point only starts when she throws the ball up for her ball toss) is only 20 seconds when maria plays?. shes not the only one dani does it as well. also you shouldn't hold up a server (sharapova and dani do this most games) as you play at the servers pace, if shes not ready in time she should try not turning her back on the court and just get in position.

perseus2006
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
As the principal PovaPartisan on site, I suggest everyone lighten up - lighten up a whole lot, in fact. ARad's just a kid doing what she can to promote her tennis career. Remember she is not the only one to take advantage of a wounded Pova last year: Serena and Venus each got slams out of the situation and Ana got a slam final out of it.

In fact, ARad deserves some credit and respect just like Ana got when she earned the right to "face the music" at the 2007 YEC and 2008 AO. ARad has earned the right on the tennis court for the match with Pova today. That's more than can be said for Venus and Serena whose only success against a healthy Pova plays out in the imaginations of their devoted fans with large loads of "if only's", "shoulda's", "coulda's" and "woulda's".

It could be an interesting matchup of constrasting styles complicated by high winds and cool temperatures. The one thing that concerns me about the match is that I hope that ARad doesn't really believe that her antics during Pova's serve actually had anything to do with the outcome. If she does believe in the tactical efficacy of those antics, then the tennis will be diminished as she relies on weoponry that doesn't exist.

Lets enjoy the match! Go Pova!

beecharmer
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
That wasn't a poor display of gamesmanship. She did it very well, and it worked. If we could remove coaching and shreiking from the Sharapova arsenal, I might be a bit more upset by Radwanska. As things stand, at worst it's being obnoxious within the rules while playing a cheater.

I use the word 'cheater' here advisedly. Accepting coaching is cheating. If the player in question is a minor, I'll generally cut them some slack. Once they can enter contracts on their own, they're also responsible. Either the person doing the coaching stops, or the player can't permit them into the friends box.

For example, if Orecene Pryce is yelling 'Hit to her backhand! Hit to her backhand!' from the friends box, and Serena doesn't stop her, Serena is cheating. OTOH, general cheering like 'C'mon, 'move your feet', 'show some spirit' I can live with. I don't expect the players' friends and family to be robots.
OK so when Oracene yelled out "Get out of Melbourne" in Oz '07, meaning stop playing as far back as the word was printed, and Serena acquiesced, she was cheating yes?

ce
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Maria is gonna trash her anyway :shrug:

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I like Maria but seriously, I think she does it on purpose to distract people. Venus and Serena have been grunting all their lives but back when Sharapova was younger, she never did it. Also, when she is practicing, a lot of people have said that she doesn't grunt, so therefore I think her shriek is put on.

Bullshit post. So many things wrong here. Who are you to say Venus & Serena have been grunting all their lives while taking that away from Sharapova?...Oh right, you're a Serena & Venus fan. :o Who are you to say that Maria uses grunting to distract people while ignoring this possibility for Venus & Serena?...Oh right, you're a Serena & Venus fan. :o Who are you to make a big deal of Maria not grunting in practice while ignoring the fact that Venus & Serena do the exact same thing? Oh right...you're a Serena & Venus fan. :help: :rolleyes:

Gosh, really sad.

Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I just hope Maria can play a good match and win it in straight sets

Renalicious
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
:haha: ive seen videos of Maria at age 8 shrieking just the same. She also does shriek when practicing serving and hitting at full pace.

She's not shrieking here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aC6tbjDG7ys

And she's not shrieking for the majority of this video, either. And when she is, it's not loud at all.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1hQSbPe7mNQ

bellascarlett
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
She's not shrieking here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aC6tbjDG7ys

And she's not shrieking for the majority of this video, either. And when she is, it's not loud at all.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1hQSbPe7mNQ

Is this as far back as you can go? As Dan said, there are videos of Maria grunting as a kid back in Bollitieri. And I'm sure you are well aware that the Williamses have some spells of "quiet playing" as well. I know I am.

Jachal
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Guys, the truth is most of the players cross the line of gamesmanship. Daniela lets her opponents wait for ages, Maria is shrieking, Justine shouts after every point "Allez", Conchita asked always for the winning ball (the classic incident with Patty in Charleston), Ana lets her shoes do the job, Mary took 12 minutes timeout against Lena.

Remember when Hingis did the underarm serve against Graf at FO 99? Everybody got on her back, but after few years everyone looks at it as an enjoyable tactic. The same thing is with Radanska. She had an interesting gameplan and made the most of it. Maria had troubles with her serve at the time and it was the right thing to do - make Masha nervous.

In the end ut was a classic match and the fact, that we're discussing it right now, just prooves my point!

Still I think Maria will win today:devil:

Renalicious
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I just found videos I have already watched. (aka videos that contain Serena in them) Well, even if she did grunt as a kid, she didn't consistently grunt until like 2005. So I wouldn't call the shriek completely natural, because she hardly did it in 2004. Yeah the WS sometimes don't grunt, but that doesn't relate to this, because they've been on/off grunting since they began playing but Sharapova didn't grunt at all for a period of time, then grunted every single shot.

Anyway, issue over. I don't really have a problem with the shriek anyway... :o

Williams Rulez
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
i hope aga tries to pull off tt shit again and maria serves a ball into her face and knocks her teeth out. maybe she'd look less irritating after that.

iamme
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
:lol::rolls::haha: yeah

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
What gamesmanship? Its a totally acceptable tactic. Bartoli does it, the williams sisters have done something similar. Hell even Monica used to do it.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

mankind
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM

Good point. Radwanska doesn't yet have the credentials to employ these tactics, so until then I guess she's just a cheating little upstart. :rolleyes:

Guys, the truth is most of the players cross the line of gamesmanship. Daniela lets her opponents wait for ages, Maria is shrieking, Justine shouts after every point "Allez", Conchita asked always for the winning ball (the classic incident with Patty in Charleston), Ana lets her shoes do the job, Mary took 12 minutes timeout against Lena.

Remember when Hingis did the underarm serve against Graf at FO 99? Everybody got on her back, but after few years everyone looks at it as an enjoyable tactic. The same thing is with Radanska. She had an interesting gameplan and made the most of it. Maria had troubles with her serve at the time and it was the right thing to do - make Masha nervous.

In the end ut was a classic match and the fact, that we're discussing it right now, just prooves my point!

Still I think Maria will win today:devil:

:worship: Agree with every point made here (including the last sentence :p)

OMFG just realised that last post I quoted was their FIRST POST. Has to be the best first post ever. :worship:

Martian KC
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
So this was the reason she lost. Ho hum.

mankind
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
So this was the reason she lost. Ho hum.

Obviously :rolleyes: And obviously Sharapova is the BEST player in the world right now after winning ONE tournament. Henin, of course, having won TWELVE in the time it took Maria to win TWO is quite clearly not as good as Sharapova. Rankings are bullshit.

dylan24
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
i hope maria hits a ball right into radwanska's face

jacobruiz
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Obviously :rolleyes: And obviously Sharapova is the BEST player in the world right now after winning ONE tournament. Henin, of course, having won TWELVE in the time it took Maria to win TWO is quite clearly not as good as Sharapova. Rankings are bullshit.

Oh, get over yourself. Radwanska moving in and around while Maria served was certainly NOT the reason she lost and it won't be a factor this time either. Maria's shoulder is healthy now and doesn't affect her serve like it did and that will be the difference today.
Who is claiming that Maria is the best player in the world? Although, starting with the AO, she is playing the best and bageled Justine at this slam so perhaps, JUST PERHAPS, you can see why her fans are excited.

tennisbear7
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Aga used gamesmanship, and so do the top players, including Maria.

Get the hell over it.

@danieln1
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
The match is over now, she lost, what she did when she was waiting Maria second serve?

debby
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
The same thing :haha: twice before Maria double-faulted I believe. I am not sure though.

Emina.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
leave the kid alone..its over now ;):p

Svetlana.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
:spit: Sharapova fans crying gamesmanship.

It's amazing what hate does to people...

St.Sebastian
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
The same thing :haha: twice before Maria double-faulted I believe. I am not sure though.
We must have been watching a different match there :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Oh, who gives a shit? Radwanska moved around, let's all cry about it, I bet you weren't crying when Sharapova acted a right heartless bitch against Golovin - oh it's competitive tennis, "I can't be Mother Teresa and a winner at the same time" - which one is worse, honestly? Let Radwanska et al do what they have to do to win - I'm sure Sharapova feels the same way, and if she doesn't she needs to take a good hard look at her own behaviour.

I'm not crying over it. I wasn't crying then, and I'm not crying now. To say it isn't "gamesmanship" however, is silly. It clearly is. It's clever, and it worked. Radwanska won that match, no qualms here.

The Sharapova/Golovin match has no parallels here. :confused: They were involved in a hotly contested match. Sharapova has no reason to get along with Golovin, and I suspect Golovin doesn't care for Sharapova at all either. Now this may just be me, but if I twist my ankle during a match and I'm writhing in pain, the last thing I want is my opponent's "politesse" getting in my face to ask me if I'm okay. That's what the medics, coaches, and trainer are for. Sharapova didn't use gamesmanship, unless you're trying to argue that she was trying to get Golivin injured. Sharapova had that whole crowd against her from the beginning of the match, and I doubt she was really feeling the love with Tatiana.

OsloErik
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Why is this still an issue? Stepping into the court is a more than acceptable tactic, and moving your feet (whether up and down or side to side) to keep the footwork sharp for the return is equally acceptable. Davenport used to move slightly from side to side on the return (not as quickly, obviously, and typically further back) and was able to overcome her poor movement to be one of the better returners of the past 15 years. Even when Seles was slow she did this. Just because Radwanska understands what she needs to do (inside the rules, of course) to set up her footwork at the highest possible level and Sharapova couldn't handle that in 2007 doesn't make it gamesmanship.

And I defy anyone to even TRY and object to a player having a good return strategy (which is basically what you are objecting to) yet be okay with "Banana/Finger-gate" in 2006.

And I'll throw into the equation: Sharapova was averaging a little over 2 double faults per set the entire tournament (the most she hit in a set? 5, the 2nd set against RADWANKSA, which she WON 6-1). In some ways, she served better than usual in the third set against Radwanska. She got more 1st serves in the court during the 3rd set than any other set in the tournament. The problem wasn't Radwanska distracting her on her serve; the problem was obviously that Radwanska was quick enough and good enough to keep Sharapova off balance from the 1st point on, and Sharapova just blasted a -15 differential in that set.

Tamus
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Why is this still an issue? Stepping into the court is a more than acceptable tactic, and moving your feet (whether up and down or side to side) to keep the footwork sharp for the return is equally acceptable. Davenport used to move slightly from side to side on the return (not as quickly, obviously, and typically further back) and was able to overcome her poor movement to be one of the better returners of the past 15 years. Even when Seles was slow she did this. Just because Radwanska understands what she needs to do (inside the rules, of course) to set up her footwork at the highest possible level and Sharapova couldn't handle that in 2007 doesn't make it gamesmanship.

And I defy anyone to even TRY and object to a player having a good return strategy (which is basically what you are objecting to) yet be okay with "Banana/Finger-gate" in 2006.

And I'll throw into the equation: Sharapova was averaging a little over 2 double faults per set the entire tournament (the most she hit in a set? 5, the 2nd set against RADWANKSA, which she WON 6-1). In some ways, she served better than usual in the third set against Radwanska. She got more 1st serves in the court during the 3rd set than any other set in the tournament. The problem wasn't Radwanska distracting her on her serve; the problem was obviously that Radwanska was quick enough and good enough to keep Sharapova off balance from the 1st point on, and Sharapova just blasted a -15 differential in that set.

Are you kidding me? Go to 3:00 on the video in the first post, and if you can say with a straight face that Radwanska was simply setting up her footwork, then you're either dilusional or a good liar. Again, Radwanska basically admitted that it was gamesmanship, saying that she knew Sharapova "hates" it if someone moves during her serve.
Your entire post is complete rubbish. In the first paragraph, you say that Sharapova couldn't handle Radwanska's tactics, but then in your last paragraph you point out that Sharapova was serving poorly the entire tournamnet and the problem wasn't Radwanska distracting her on serve. Make up your mind.

Jachal
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
The Sharapova/Golovin match has no parallels here. :confused: They were involved in a hotly contested match. Sharapova has no reason to get along with Golovin, and I suspect Golovin doesn't care for Sharapova at all either. Now this may just be me, but if I twist my ankle during a match and I'm writhing in pain, the last thing I want is my opponent's "politesse" getting in my face to ask me if I'm okay. That's what the medics, coaches, and trainer are for. Sharapova didn't use gamesmanship, unless you're trying to argue that she was trying to get Golivin injured. Sharapova had that whole crowd against her from the beginning of the match, and I doubt she was really feeling the love with Tatiana.
[/QUOTE]
Say whaaaaat???
Gosh, if somebody would twist his ankle or anything I would be the first one to get on the other side of the court just to check, if that someone is well up or needs help. Remember the match between Zvonareva and Pierce. Bepa hurried to Mary and brought her ice. And you can saftely say that one was a hot contest, coz Vera saved 3 mp few minutes earlier.
And another example - Srebotnik vs Dementieva in Stuttgart two years ago. When Lena got the cramp, Katarina came to her just to show she cares.
It's only human, that when somebody's in pain, we come to comfort them!
Masha should have done the same, but she just didn't. From there on in, the crowd was anti-Sharapova (what U could see the next day in the final against Kuzy)

I understand U might not like the fact that people react the proper way round, but this is what good behaviour is all about!

Thanx4nothin
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I'm sure Maria will scream when she hits the ball, and take as long as she wants between points.
I don't know if Aga will move as Maria starts her serve.

:drool: How correct you were!

Thanx4nothin
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
I'm not crying over it. I wasn't crying then, and I'm not crying now. To say it isn't "gamesmanship" however, is silly. It clearly is. It's clever, and it worked. Radwanska won that match, no qualms here.

It's also silly to say all of Sharapova's 'COME ON WEOOOHAAA' supersonic boomesque screams down the court were not gamesmanship however, we trudge on saying that because an underdog had the 'AUDACITY' to step up to a challenge she was a 'poor sportswoman'. :tape:

tennisbear7
Feb 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM
To end this discussion:

You do what you have to do within the rules.

Fin.