PDA

View Full Version : haha..Aga is scheduled for Qulies in Dubai tomorrow 3:00PM

aguy9797
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
i guess she needs a really fast camel to get to Dubai after her match with Masha :)

FORZA SARITA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
she can plays 2 matches on sunday....

In The Zone
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
They'll postpone the Q1 to Sunday. She will be going to Dubai anyway for her sister.

Serenidad.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Wow Dubai must be deep.

N.20 does qual? Not even just unseeded..

Slutati
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Why does she have to play qaulies?she's top 20

Bruno71
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
These tournies and the way they work is just dumb. Aga is ranked high enough that she shouldn't have to qualify for any tournament, but obviously they're going off some old entry list.

Wayn77
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
i guess she needs a really fast camel to get to Dubai after her match with Masha :)

You mean one of those "Express" camels the Arabs use for special deliveries.
A red hot poker up its ass and hold on tight for the first 100 kms. :lol: :bounce:

debby
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
And if she will reach the final? :tape: :haha:

goldenlox
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
If Aga wins, she is playing for US $441,000. She won't mind taking a week off.

Slumpsova
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
WTF? isn't she top 20 right now? :scratch:

Destiny
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
She won't play at Dubai

Or Just will lose early
Qualify :confused:

papru
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I hope she will be forced to withdraw from Dubai :)

debby
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM

She would dump Dubai ?

But it is not unfair ! :fiery:

kolan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
somehow i think she is otherwise engaged tomorrow :lol:

frenchie
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Last year Brenda Schultz won 25k Surbiton on Saturday and played her qualy first round a few hours later!!

She won both matches

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
So if Aga loses tomorrow the play is to head straight to Dubai after having played 5 singles matches and 3 doubles matches over the previous 6 days, and then play another 2 matches on Sunday and another match on Monday all just so that she can qualify for a Tier II tournament? Thing is she maybe capable of succeeding in this task but after all that effort including what would be 8 matches in 8 days in two different cities Aga would likely be so tired she would be unlikely to go at all far in Dubai so the ridiculous effort would in the end be worth very little pointwise.

I really strongly think Aga should take next week off.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Last year Brenda Schultz won 25k Surbiton on Saturday and played her qualy first round a few hours later!!

She won both matches

True but grasscourt matches do tend to be less tough on the body. Additionally at the time Brenda really needed the points and the opportunity for good points in Birmingham would have been tough to say no to. In contrast, Aga has been adding bucketloads of ranking points this year, she really doesn't need to be greedy.

DutchieGirl
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
These tournies and the way they work is just dumb. Aga is ranked high enough that she shouldn't have to qualify for any tournament, but obviously they're going off some old entry list.

What do you mean by "these tourneys"? EVERY WTA TOURNEY has an entry list deadline 6 weeks before the tourney. So if Aga was not ranked high enough to make MD then, then no, it doesn't matter what her ranking (or anyone elses ranking) is now, she plays quallies. What's so dumb about that? It's the same for everyone.

As for the question - if Aga loses to Sharapova, she will play 2 quallies on Sunday (if she wins the 1st quallie match). If she beats Maria, then she will be replaced wth an ALT in the Dubai quallie draw. Quite simple. :)

DutchieGirl
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM

Yes, I'm sure the money will be the reason for her taking the week off. :rolleyes:

If Aga beats Maria, she has NO CHOICE but to take next week off.

gumoll
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
can't she play only doubles in dubai?

jonny84
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Think she should just withdraw from Dubai - and Tomek has a good point. She could just have a relaxing week playing the doubles.

Bruno71
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
What do you mean by "these tourneys"? EVERY WTA TOURNEY has an entry list deadline 6 weeks before the tourney. So if Aga was not ranked high enough to make MD then, then no, it doesn't matter what her ranking (or anyone elses ranking) is now, she plays quallies. What's so dumb about that? It's the same for everyone.

As for the question - if Aga loses to Sharapova, she will play 2 quallies on Sunday (if she wins the 1st quallie match). If she beats Maria, then she will be replaced wth an ALT in the Dubai quallie draw. Quite simple. :)

These tourneys = EVERY WTA TOURNEY

There's no reason the tourneys can't modify the order of the entry list up to a week before the tournament. They do it with seeding.

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
why is Aga qualifying for TIER II isn't her ranking good enough?

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
why is Aga qualifying for TIER II isn't her ranking good enough?

Dubai has strong but relatively small field. Almost every top play is on the list, so...

juki
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM

There's no reason the tourneys can't modify the order of the entry list up to a week before the tournament. They do it with seeding.

This would be horrible for players near the cutoff, as they wouldn't know if they even are going to get into a tournament until the last minute. And if they don't get in it would mess up travel and flight plans, not to mention it would be too late to play in any of the other tournaments that week. This would really be a mess from an organizers and players stand point, and would hurt the less-funded players the most.

And for players that get dropped from main to qualy draw, they might be upset because had they known they were qualy, they would have played in a different tournament. Really, I just see all types of problems if they did this.

Bruno71
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
This would be horrible for players near the cutoff, as they wouldn't know if they even are going to get into a tournament until the last minute. And if they don't get in it would mess up travel and flight plans, not to mention it would be too late to play in any of the other tournaments that week. This would really be a mess from an organizers and players stand point, and would hurt the less-funded players the most.

And for players that get dropped from main to qualy draw, they might be upset because had they known they were qualy, they would have played in a different tournament. Really, I just see all types of problems if they did this.

What I'm saying is that they can solidify the entry list a few weeks earlier as they do now, but not set up who's in the main or qualy till a little later. Maybe not a week in advance, maybe 2...but something that would better reflect the true current standing of the players. The whole thing is messed up anyway really...with qualy matches being played at the same time as the later matches in the previous tournament. I bet they could change that, though I doubt they would.

kittyking
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Tournament Officials usually save a Maindraw Wildcard for situations such as this. Aga probably deserved a Maindraw Wildcard considering the circumstances, but she didn't and we just have to accept that.

I hope she withdraws from Dubai, she does NOT want an injury ahead of Miami :tape:

DutchieGirl
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM

There is every reason why WTA tourneys don't modify the actual entry lists - what's the point of anyone entering into a tourney then with their ranking if they don't even know if they'll play MD or quallies? Then maybe they wanna play a different tourney if they discover that because someone overtook them, they now have to play quallies instead of MD at the tourney they were in. How the hell can you make a schedule for yourself then? Sorry, but it's a silly idea. How they do the seedings is fine too. The way they do entry lists does make sense. It's not the WTA's fault if a player rises quickly up the rankings and can't make a tourney because she's doing well in another. it would be easier if they could ask tourneys to hold back a WC for this instance (that happens in ITF tourneys actually - mostly in the $10k's, but if someone makes the final one week, and should play quallies the week after, they can apply for a "SE" (special entry) spot into the MD of the tourney the next week. The only thing to make it a little better could be to not have to sign up 6 weeks before, but maybe 3 weeks before, like in ITFs. But it's not like this situation happens so much on the WTA tour. Why should they change the system for a few cases like this a year?

DutchieGirl
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:55 AM
What I'm saying is that they can solidify the entry list a few weeks earlier as they do now, but not set up who's in the main or qualy till a little later. Maybe not a week in advance, maybe 2...but something that would better reflect the true current standing of the players. The whole thing is messed up anyway really...with qualy matches being played at the same time as the later matches in the previous tournament. I bet they could change that, though I doubt they would.

That's still not fair on the players, because if there are more tourneys on during the week, maybe they prefer to play MD of a smaller tourney than finding out last min that they were bumped down to quallies in the tourney they were in just coz someone had a good week 2 weeks ago or something, Sorry, but that would be TOTALLY unfair on the players. The whole point is, you enter the tourneys with your ranking, whatever it is at the cutoff for sign up. It's fair for everyone, and as I said before, it's not usual that a player makes SF one week and has to play quallies of a tourney the week after. ALso, what happens then if a player makes doubles final of one tourney, and should play quallies the week after in singles - how do you wanna fix that?

Vefci Y
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Will she play Dubai?

aguy9797
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
no idea???! Her sister won today as I saw the results, maybe she will get into the MD cause of the withdrawals?

tennis-jack
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Against Bally...Come on Bally

trainspotter
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
So the match between Aga and Baltacha is scheduled for tomorrow as a second match on court 3 / NB 12: 00 / . Then if she wins she's supposed to play the last match on court 2. Pretty clever scheduling from organisers, C'mon AGA :)

jonny84
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
So I take it Aga wll be getting to Dubai now after her Doha loss.
Tough on Bally having to wait though.....

St.Sebastian
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
So I take it Aga wll be getting to Dubai now after her Doha loss.
Tough on Bally having to wait though.....
It's not like she had a chance agaisnt Aga anyway ;)

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
It's not like she had a chance agaisnt Aga anyway ;)

:ras: :p

Jachal
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
I just get the feeling Aga will be enjoying to play the qualies, coz it's a way to earn extra-points and she's eager to get as quickly as possible to the top 16, just to avoid playing a world No.2 at Roland Garros in the third round :rocker:

But honestly I don't think it's a good idea to play the qualies in Dubai, coz she might lose to Hrdinova in the 2r, not having enough time to adjust to the conditions.

No disgrace to Baltacha, but she always had difficulties playing skillful players...

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I just get the feeling Aga will be enjoying to play the qualies, coz it's a way to earn extra-points and she's eager to get as quickly as possible to the top 16, just to avoid playing a world No.2 at Roland Garros in the third round :rocker:

But honestly I don't think it's a good idea to play the qualies in Dubai, coz she might lose to Hrdinova in the 2r, not having enough time to adjust to the conditions.

No disgrace to Baltacha, but she always had difficulties playing skillful players...

15 points to be earned for three qualifying matches is chicken feed for Aga. Playing this tournament makes no sense to me at all.