PDA

View Full Version : How far will Maria go?

Shafanovic.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
How long do you think this winning streak can continue?
Do you think she will match or even beat Henin's record?

I think she can!!! GO MARIA!!! :bounce:

Wayn77
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
It ends tomorrow ... :devil:

Against "dancing shoes" "encroaching on the serve" "Russian Killer" Aga Radwanska.

slamchamp
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
it will never end..it will be infinite

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM

Against "dancing shoes" "encroaching on the serve" "Russian Killer" Aga Radwanska.

:worship::devil::worship:

Slutati
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM

WORD!:banana:

densuprun
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM

Another dreamer...

Serge007
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Russian final will be great!

Dave.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Certainly not throught the claycourt season, so no she won't match Henin.

Aravanecaravan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Depends on how healthy she stays, and that's a big question mark. I've always believed that the ideal number of tournaments for Maria is 15-16 a year, spaced out so that she 1) doesn't play more than 2 weeks in a row, and 2) has a week of rest before the majors. When she gets more ambitious, bad things happen. She is tall, but still relatively frail for someone 6'2", and more prone to injuries than players who are shorter and more muscular. At the moment, she appears to have the injuries under control and is keeping a reasonable schedule, so who knows?

On the other hand, if she does play Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami (and I am hoping she pulls the plug on Dubai), she's going to have played a ton of tennis by the time Miami is over, and probably won't have been as successful as we fans of hers might be hoping.

Hard courts are her thing though, and I would say that it's possible she could do the IW/Miami double (came within one match of that in 2006) and head into the clay season not having lost since Madrid last year. Possible. But women's tennis is so unpredictable that all it takes is one bad day and poof.

Bruno71
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hmmm well she should win Doha and be the favorite for the next few hardcourt tournies, but I don't know if I see her winning them all, especially if she plays Dubai. I also don't see her extending the winning streak through clay court season intact. None of this means she isn't playing the best tennis of anyone now.

Russianboy
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
u really dont have to ask, there are about 5 who take this serious

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
it will never end..it will be infinite

I'm second that.

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Well, let's see. She's never dominated the top players before, but the top players right now aren't healthy or aren't playing well. If she takes advantage of that, she can win Indian Wells and get far in Miami.

However, I don't except this to last too long if she has to face Henin/Venus/Serena/Jankovic/Ivanovic/Kuznetsova, etc. multiple times. When she won Indian Wells and made the final of Miami in 2006, her toughest opponents she had wins over were Hingis and Golovin.. when she dominated that fall, her big wins were Mauresmo, Henin(USO) and Clijsters(YEC) but she then lost to Henin in the semi's.

The reason I don't believe the Sharapova hype is because I'm waiting for her to back up the hype with more wins. We've been here before when people would say she's going to dominate and it never happened. So let's wait before we start comparing her to Henin 2007 who annihilated everyone in sight.

Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm hoping it continues until the claycourt season then depending on her first few matches on clay we can talk more realistically

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Btw, I expect it to end at Dubai(vs. Henin) if she still plays.

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Maria will never dominate the game, but she will have consistently strong results i.e. slams here and there, big tournies etc.

Face it, everyone. It takes someone very special to start DOMINATING, someone way over the pack. Henin SORT of did it last year, but the last real dominance was 2002 Serena. Maria is still 3-6 against Henin.

debby
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
How long do you think this winning streak can continue?
Do you think she will match or even beat Henin's record?

I think she can!!! GO MARIA!!! :bounce:

She has only won 12 matchs in a row and now, we have to think at Masha beating Henin's record which is 33 matchs in a row ??? :tape::help:

LMAO.
I will be back in this thread to speak about this when Maria will win Doha, Dubai and Indian Wells... :wavey:

You don't realize but 33 matchs in a row, it is just HUGE. Amazing. I still don't realize my fave have achieved that :inlove: (anyway, she won't anymore :tape: )

Slumpsova
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
she will go to Florida after tomorrow :woohoo:

debby
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
she will go to Florida after tomorrow :woohoo:

May Agnieszka listen to you :devil:

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
If she gets a 20+ winning streak, I think that would be really impressive. Has Sharapova had one yet?
I know these's players have
Henin(2007), Clijsters(2005), Davenport(2004), Serena(2003,2002), Venus(2001-2002, 2000), Hingis(38-win streak in 1997)

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
If she gets a 20+ winning streak, I think that would be really impressive. Has Sharapova had one yet?
Henin(2007), Clijsters(2005), Davenport(2004), Serena(2003,2002), Venus(2001-2002, 2000), Hingis(38-win streak in 1997)

In the end of 2006 Sharapova won 19 consecutive matches (7 at USO + 1 at Moscow + 4 at Zurich + 4 at Linz + 3 at YEC).

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
In the end of 2006 Sharapova won 19 consecutive matches (7 at USO + 1 at Moscow + 4 at Zurich + 4 at Linz + 3 at YEC).

I thought she had a loss post USO that wasn't at YEC? I'll have to look it up

EDIT: I guess W/O aren't counted as losses, but I don't think they are just ignored in terms of winning streaks.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
btw the record is still Venus :) but no i don't think she will break venus' record or jh's record

heytennis
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I thought she had a loss post USO that wasn't at YEC? I'll have to look it up

EDIT: I guess W/O aren't counted as losses, but I don't think they are just ignored in terms of winning streaks.

Yes they are ;)

On topic, I don't think Maria will last THAT much longer. She'll probably win Doha but she won't win everything.

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Yes they are ;)

On topic, I don't think Maria will last THAT much longer. She'll probably win Doha but she won't win everything.

My mistake then. So she came very close

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
btw the record is still Venus :) but no i don't think she will break venus' record or jh's record

Venus doesn't hold any winningstreak records as far as I know. Hingis had a longer winning streak in 1997 I believe and Navratilova, Graf, Evert and others have had 50+ consecutive win streaks.

Tamus
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Navratilova holds the record with 74 staight matches won. :worship:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Venus doesn't hold any winningstreak records as far as I know. Hingis had a longer winning streak in 1997 I believe and Navratilova, Graf, Evert and others have had 50+ consecutive win streaks.

venus' win streak came in the summer of 00 i think....it was all over this forum and even on ESPN when jh had to win the AO title to pass venus' record...i could be wrong but i don't think i am...:confused: i am open to correction

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
venus' win streak came in the summer of 00 i think....it was all over this forum and even on ESPN when jh had to win the AO title to pass venus' record...i could be wrong but i don't think i am...:confused: i am open to correction

The record is Navratilova with 74 and there are probably 10 more at least who have more than Venus. Venus had about a 35 win streak I believe. She had the last 30+ win streak I think. But others have had much longer

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
yes that is what i'm talking about...the realistic one of reaching unlike the martina one lol

Slumpsova
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
wow that's great!
you know what this is the perfect time for her bc Serena isn't around. she better does it now or she will never get a chance :D

faboozadoo15
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Certainly not throught the claycourt season, so no she won't match Henin.

:eek: I'd be VERY surprised if she made it undefeated UNTIL the clay season. That means wins in Doha, Dubai, Indian Wells, and Miami. No way would I look that far ahead.

Mikey B
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
i hope this isnt the same as the thread about maria not dropping any sets, as that was a huge jinx!!! i hope this isnt the same!

cant see her losing here, will be very interesting if she meets henin in dubai... she's never beaten her twice in a row, and the last person to beat henin before maria was on the recieving end of a double bagel revenge match!!!

she is the in form player, wouldnt suprise me if she made it to the clay season undefeated.. that would be a huge accomplishment! would mean she collects doha, dubai, indian wells and miami titles!

but lets just take it one match at a time...

kow604
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
maria is a great tennis player...is she really wants to dominate the ladies like i think she can then she needs to develop her game more. add some more variety and different spins (consistantly) she could be unstoppable. her problem is when she plays athletes better than her wh have as much if not more power than she has. either of the wiliams sisters prove my point. they love to play her and she consistantly gets beaten by them. i think variety and movement woud help her greatly when she plays them instead of outhitting them