PDA

View Full Version : Doha: A disgrace to WTA tour

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Weather conditions are beyond ridiculous. So is the website. Complete joke :help:

slamchamp
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
:confused:

Mikey.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
They can't control the weather. Wimbledon had rain so much last yr. Did that make it a disgrace? I don't think so.

goldenlox
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
No weather was more ridiculous than the USO that Roddick won.
Days of nothing during a major.
Wimbledon gets pretty ridiculous too. Matches last 3 days.
This is just wind.

CR3WLFC
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Weather conditions are beyond ridiculous. So is the website. Complete joke :help:

about the weather they cant do anything about it but the website :eek:

joćo.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
I kind of agree partly with what you said but i'm really enjoying it so far tho.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
They could have done something about the wind (build an indoor stadium instead of an open air one)....

Well, guess we will have to see whether the WTA Championships would also become a farce....

Mightymirza
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I agree the website sucks...But disgrace?? :spit:

jonny84
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Doha cannot help the weather situation........but a Tier I tournament should have a decent website.

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
it's a disgrace based on results. but holding a tournie during winter outside is also stupid.

aguy9797
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
the website sucks big time, it looks straight from 1995

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Antwerp is a disgrace too.:angel: :p

LCS
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Not to mention this is where the masters will be played...I can hardly wait...:rolleyes:

Dave.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
This tournament is fine. It's always been a decent one since 2001.

I am against the WTA Champs being held here though, because it's outside.

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I agree!

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Next week's websites are looking a lot better!!

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
it's a disgrace based on results. but holding a tournie during winter outside is also stupid.

instead they should roast the players in July in temps of 50C/120F :devil:

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
instead they should roast the players in July in temps of 50C/120F :devil:

:tape:nevermind then;)

safinismine
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Because, you know, the tournment directors have magical powers that let them control the wind and the sun and the rain and the presidental elections!

Vass22
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
What exactly is wrong with the weather?

It seems to be same as in Dubai (where i live) and it's WINDY.

mandy7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Antwerp is a disgrace too.:angel: :p
:eek: is not!

sunsfuns
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM

Just because your faves didn't win? :rolleyes:

The only thing which is a disgrace here is a website :help:

I kind of enjoy it being so windy in a perverse way ;)

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Just because your faves didn't win? :rolleyes:

The only thing which is a disgrace here is a website :help:

I kind of enjoy it being so windy in a perverse way ;)

no....only 2 of the top 8 seeds of a tier 1 made the quarters:o

sunsfuns
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

So what???

There are plenty of good players left including the main pre-tournament favorite.

Renalicious
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
The website's a bit WTF for a Tier I but the content's actually ok.

xan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I still wish the Championships had stayed in Madrid. they were successful there. Why should womens tennis be "centred" in an area with no women tennis players and where women are discouraged from such sport?

Leo_DFP
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
The wind is a factor that top players should be able to overcome. I see no problem with wind - I like additional challenges. And the wind is there for everyone, so it's fair.

What is a disgrace is that money "bought" this Tier I event and clearly some top players did not treat it seriously or give it their all. Also, the Middle East doesn't really deserve to have a Tier I and the YEC at this point, so it's a shame that the WTA is so persuaded by money and oil and not history, fans, popularity, etc.

Lucas_Arg
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
I still wish the Championships had stayed in Madrid. they were successful there. Why should womens tennis be "centred" in an area with no women tennis players and where women are discouraged from such sport?

Because there is a lot a lot of money in Doha.
And Larry loves money...

espresso
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

missvarsha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Er, thats why its called "professional" tennis ?
Because the players, umpires, trainers etc. who slog around the tour all year expect to be paid for it ? Tournaments have always gone where the money was, that is a fact. Was there an equal amount of pearl clutching when Germany hosted like 29 tournaments a year in the 80s and early 90s during their economic boom ?

The fact is that if sponsors in countries like India and China and the Gulf (the richer parts of Asia) are willing to spend the big bucks on tennis, thats where the tournaments will go. Or would you prefer that tennis go back to the amateur era with rich europeans of "leisure" being the only people able to afford to play the 5-6 tournaments staged every year ?

sd3300123
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
But they have so much money

WTA cant refuse~

Kipling
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM

That makes the tournament a disgrace?

Maybe Venus should have played better.

plantman
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
So what???

There are plenty of good players left including the main pre-tournament favorite.

:yeah:

Wayn77
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Now ...

I wonder who has been eliminated, to bring all this negativity on. :)

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
That makes the tournament a disgrace?

Maybe Venus should have played better.

yea, tier 1=best competition, for them to lose early is :o
now isn't that player bashing?
Maybe Maria is going to lose to Radwanska AGAIN

Kipling
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM

Maybe, but, somehow, unless Radwanska can inflame Sharapova's shoulder again, I think she may be in over her head--you know, based on recent results and all.

jacobruiz
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Maybe, but, somehow, unless Radwanska can inflame Sharapova's shoulder again, I think she may be in over her head--you know, based on recent results and all.

:lol:
Maria with a healthy shoulder is a whole different ballgame, folks.:yeah:
I just wish she could be facing Venus. ;)

Maria Croft
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Imo Antwerp was a 100 times worse, and as much as I hate the conditions they can't really control that.

alwayshingis
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
This has been a great event. All the players are working in the same conditions, so you can never blame the conditions for a lot of upsets. Some players are better at dealing with wind than others, and those players have been winning this week.

InTheGloaming
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM

I agree. A tournament is as good as its players and matches. Whether it's Wimbledon or Outer Mongolia!

InTheGloaming
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
This has been a great event. All the players are working in the same conditions, so you can never blame the conditions for a lot of upsets. Some players are better at dealing with wind than others, and those players have been winning this week.

I think you're right. Part of being an all round great player is being able to play in outside conditions with everything that brings. If all tournaments were inside in perfect conditions what would be the point of that!

As a Hingis fan you know better than most given poor Martina at the Aussie Open when it was about a billion degrees hot! If it had been inside, air conditioned it could have been a different story.

serenus_2k8
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I think it would have been nice to see a non windy tournament but the players themselves have got to adjust. I think its great that different parts of the world can afford to host Tier Is.

The website however...its painful!

Helaena
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM

ummmm...it's not winter anymore.....and in jan, it's too cold still....on march it would be humid and windy....so i guess feb is the perfect timing, just so happens that it's too windy...even here in dubai it's very windy.....i hope next week it won't be windy anymore...

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Terrible results for a Tier I. All the seeds falling apart, but the tournament is not to be blamed. I wonder how much the players really cared about this one.
Only hardcore fans are really going to care about the tournament at this point. Hard to imagine Zvonareva or Na Li in a Tier I final.

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
i want the YECs in LONDON!
lol the masters are in 2009....but this aswell :drool:

maryjane
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
i agree about the website.about the tournment...well it's just a misfortune this kind of weather.they need to have more luck in the future otherwise it needs to change the period.i think the organizers gave a lot of money to the wta so they don't want to give up to play in qatar.

maryjane
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM

i totally agree with you!

Dave.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:01 PM

It would be good for me because I could go! But it would be a disastrous tournament. Do you think anyone would actually go to it? Tennis is 2 weeks of the year for most people here.

Slutiana
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
This is baaad.

tobi
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM

I am agree with this one.

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
It would be good for me because I could go! But it would be a disastrous tournament. Do you think anyone would actually go to it? Tennis is 2 weeks of the year for most people here.

Trust me!...people would go!

In London 02 arena people will go to watch Rosie O Donnell have a shit with the right promotion!

That venus has the best promotion!

I am sure London can do it! LONDON for YEC :bounce::bounce:

Its in the middle EAST for the next 5 years :sad:

Mileen
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
The wind is a factor that top players should be able to overcome. I see no problem with wind - I like additional challenges. And the wind is there for everyone, so it's fair.

What is a disgrace is that money "bought" this Tier I event and clearly some top players did not treat it seriously or give it their all. Also, the Middle East doesn't really deserve to have a Tier I and the YEC at this point, so it's a shame that the WTA is so persuaded by money and oil and not history, fans, popularity, etc.

completely agree :worship:

svetaisthebest
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
They really can't do much about the weather but the website is really bad !

ASP0315
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:22 AM
disgrace? c'mon
nothing is more disgraceful than wimbledon. :lol:

peanuts
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:00 AM

You got that one right. I couldn't agree more. :)

DutchieGirl
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
:tape:nevermind then;)

Well, it IS in the desert. :p

Kipling
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM

How'd that work out for ya?