PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider Mari a "child prodigy"?

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
When I think "child prodigy", I think Hingis, Seles and Austin.

I don't quite think Maria, but would understand if someone did.

Thoughts?

faboozadoo15
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Sharapova doesn't have 8 slams as a teenager (like Seles), and she can't hit every shot in the book (like Hingis). But people had been tipping her for huge success since she was a little girl. She was certainly an enormous young talent. She has also consistently outclassed her peers mentally. She's the prodigy of this generation, another Bolletieri muse.

mckyle.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
So when Sharapova made the 4th round of Wimbledon in 2003 it wasn't surprising? I hadn't been paying attention to tennis for very long but it was a surprise to me to see a WC make the 4th round, dominating Harkleroad (who was Top 40 at the time), Dokic, and Bovina in the process.

kittyking
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I thought you were talking about Mari Andersson :o

Sharakim
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know how you would define "prodigy" but for me she is because she rose to the top of the rankings at a very young age and won three slams by twenty. Though she hasn't dominated the field, her mentality is very special and sets her apart from the other young players. Maybe her credentials aren't as spectacular as the ones you mentioned, but Maria plays in a different era from them and so far she is the very best of her age group.

mckyle.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:13 AM
Most of the time people use the word prodigy for someone who didn't succeed as an adult and Maria has succeeded.

s_j
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
3rd youngest to win Wimbledon, 3 slams by 20, 5th youngest #1, 1st ever Russian #1 at 18, YEC winner at 17... she may not have been an Austin, a Hingis or a Seles but these are still, without a doubt, the accomplishments of a tennis child prodigy.

Sharakim
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
3rd youngest to win Wimbledon, 3 slams by 20, 5th youngest #1, 1st ever Russian #1 at 18, YEC winner at 17... she may not have been an Austin, a Hingis or a Seles but these are still, without a doubt, the accomplishments of a tennis child prodigy.

Don't forget 1st ever Russian Australian Open and Wimbledon ladies singles champion! :bounce:

Golovinjured.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
there realistically arent child prodigy's in tennis anymore before of the age restrictions. IMO tennis players should be able to play as much as they want at any age, don't let a few bad tennis parents take that away from the 14/15/16 year olds who can match it with the best...

faboozadoo15
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think the game is far too physical for girls that young to compete at the highest levels.

Cases where young children are seen to be abused look bad for the tour and the ITF. Those restrictions need to be there. If a 5 year old child could sew better than a 35 year old woman, does that mean she should be able to work 14 hour days in a factory?

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
By "prodigy", it's often associated with winning a huge number of slams/titles as a 15-16 year old...

In that sense, Maria doesn't quite fit into that mould because her slam/big title successes have been spread out over a period of 4-5 years. I would argue that that's actually better for Maria, personally.

faboozadoo15
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Who won a major at 15? A few in the history of the sport won at 16. Maria won soon after turning 17.

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Who won a major at 15? A few in the history of the sport won at 16. Maria won soon after turning 17.

Yeah, but compared to Seles', who won her second slam two slams after her debut.

Maria won her next slam eight tries after Wimbly, so while she doesn't quite fit the "child prodigy" label, she's certainly unique in that regard. She won a lot as a 17 year old, but never as much as say Hingis, Austin or Seles. Though, Austin won her second USO in 1981, when her first was in 1979. But she did really shake up the Evert/Nav monopoly on the game.

So I think she started off her career young, but never had the amazing string of big time successes like the aforementioned three. That's not a bad thing, because Hingis and Austin sorta burned out.

Sharakim
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
In that sense, Maria doesn't quite fit into that mould because her slam/big title successes have been spread out over a period of 4-5 years. I would argue that that's actually better for Maria, personally.I agree that this is good for her because it forced her to work harder on her game and her fitness. Nothing was ever easy for her after that wimbledon win. It also relieved a lot of the pressure that was on her right after she won Wimbledon. Still the composure and focus that she has at this age is imo unique. Theres a reason why only 3 players aged 17 or under have won wimbledon in its long history.

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM

Has anyone aged 15 ever won a huge tier 1 or YEC? I'm interested.

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I agree that this is good for her because it forced her to work harder on her game and her fitness. Nothing was ever easy for her after that wimbledon win. It also relieved a lot of the pressure that was on her right after she won Wimbledon. Still the composure and focus that she has at this age is imo unique. Theres a reason why only 3 players aged 17 or under have won wimbledon in its long history.

Uh huh, and as a child, Hingis thought she could beat everybody without rectifying her weaknesses.

Sometimes, being humbled by the Williams does force you to work harder, and that certainly shows in Maria... she keeps her weaknesses in check and works on them, while Hingis didn't and refused to hit the gym.

Sharakim
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Uh huh, and as a child, Hingis thought she could beat everybody without rectifying her weaknesses.

Sometimes, being humbled by the Williams does force you to work harder, and that certainly shows in Maria... she keeps her weaknesses in check and works on them, while Hingis didn't and refused to hit the gym.I agree. I think the RG99 final against Graf scarred her for the rest of her career. Up to then she had such confidence in her abilities but Steffi humbled her. Later when the Williams sisters started posing a challenge she slowly whited. I hope Maria never gets it easy in her career. I hope she has players like Venus, Serena, and Justine that will force her to work for all her future accomplishments. It will only make her stronger and better.

mckyle.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Has anyone aged 15 ever won a huge tier 1 or YEC? I'm interested.

Capriati won the Canada Masters at 15 and the Olympics at 16. But then disappeared for ten years.

Karolina_Sprem
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Of course not - answer on your question.

Hingis and maybe Seles were the only child prodigies in women tennis

tennisbear7
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Lol. "Maybe" Seles. Yeah, maybe.

DokicPova
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
no, maria winning wimbly at 17 was an average win :retard: :help:

goldenlox
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
What age is "child"? A 17 year old is almost an adult.
Capriati was a good pro at 14.
I'm thinking 5-12 for child, preteen.

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Of course not - answer on your question.

Hingis and maybe Seles were the only child prodigies in women tennis

Maybe? :spit:

Lilowannabe
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
To me, Maria always seemed far beyond her years. She was so mature and focused even at 16. But Hingis and Austin were so child like when they were winning slams, it was almost shocking that a 'child' like Hingis was able to dominate legends like Steffi and Seles.

Its similar to Serena Williams, when she won the US open at 17 saw her as a child who had won a slam, its the same with Maria winning Wimbledon in 04. So no i didnt see Maria as a child prodigy.