PDA

View Full Version : WNBA players as tennis players

trivfun
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Candace Parker from Tennessee has announced that she is going to enter the WNBA draft. I have always wondered how she could have done in tennis against the likes of the Williams sisters, Sharapova, the Russians, and Justine.

The players I like to see play tennis from the WNBA are Ivory Latta, Deanna Nolan, Chamique Holdsclaw (retired), Pee Wee Johnson, and Lauren Jackson. I think ball-handlers with quickness can make the transition but I think all-arounders from the foward position can to. What do you think?

theFutureisNow
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:47 PM
I would guess that almost no(or maybe none at all) WNBA players would be able to compete. It takes too many years of specialized training to be a top tennis player.

If you are asking "what athletic level are the girls that pick tennis vs basketball at?"- I don't think that question is answerable. There is never a chance to compare the two groups.

I would pick someone like Taurasi if I had to guess. I think Jackson and Parker would be too big and slow.

Really, it is a little mystifying why more young women don't try to play tennis. WNBA players make only a tiny fraction of what the top WTA players make. If you care even a little bit about the money, you should try to become a top tennis player or golfer first. Only then should you even consider a sport like basketball.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/sports/basketball/19wnba.html

trivfun
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM
I would guess that almost no(or maybe none at all) WNBA players would be able to compete. It takes too many years of specialized training to be a top tennis player.

Really, it is a little mystifying why more young women don't try to play tennis. WNBA players make only a tiny fraction of what the top WTA players make. If you care even a little bit about the money, you should try to become a top tennis player or golfer first. Only then should you even consider a sport like basketball.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/sports/basketball/19wnba.html

I know it takes training in tennis as well as basketball particularly with ball-handling, dribbling, passing, shooting, cutting, and positioning skills. If there is somebody who can make that transition. The players I mentioned above can do it.

theFutureisNow
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:04 AM
I know it takes training in tennis as well as basketball particularly with ball-handling, dribbling, passing, shooting, cutting, and positioning skills. If there is somebody who can make that transition. The players I mentioned above can do it.

Well I would guess they couldn't. But there is no way to say for sure.

However, there is one argument in my favor I think.
You can tell anyone in the WNBA- "If you switch to tennis you can potentially make millions, rather than a couple hundred thousand at best." The fact that no one has ever done this seems a little suspicious if they in fact could.

Babolatpro880
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
Latta :tape: Can't stand her.

I agree that players like Jackson and Parker are a little too slow. Jackson's basketball skills, on the other hand, are out of this world. Detroit will kick ass this year after getting Swin

Brett.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Pee Wee Johnson!! :haha: :haha: :haha: Imagine if you take her "son" off her last name :tape:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think some of you are looking at this the wrong way.

A player I would have picked who has tennis capabilities is Cappie Pondexter.
She has a very quick first step and she anticipates well.

mckyle.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
They would probably be great at any sport. At the professional level of any sport, it's more about being born with raw athletic skills than anything.

Piotr'ek
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Tamika would move great also on court, i'm sure of that :bounce: Nickie Teasly would be like Schnyder :tape: