PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better player: Kournikova or Kirilenko?

Emina.
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
vote!:D
who is more talented?
what do you think about their careers?

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
kirilenko has won singles titles, anna hasn't
Anna is great at doubles, but i vote Maria

dybbuk
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Anna was by far more talented, it's not really even close. :lol: Maria has two smaller titles, Anna doesn't have any, but she was top 10 with better Grand Slam results.

Emina.
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM
Anna's highest ranking was #8...

but i really dont know who was/is better :confused:

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Anna was by far more talented, it's not really even close. :lol: Maria has two smaller titles, Anna doesn't have any, but she was top 10 with better Grand Slam results.

yea, but i would want 2 small titles than nothing.;
ALSO maria is too young to put her against Anna who had more years on tour.

dybbuk
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM

Anna has reached a Wimby semi at 17, and a top 10 ranking at 18 (I could be wrong about that, but around 18 I know). Going on at what age they achieved things is in Anna's favor.

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
Anna has reached a Wimby semi at 17, and a top 10 ranking at 18 (I could be wrong about that, but around 18 I know).

yea....i am done arguing, you have your opinion, i have mine:p

Emina.
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM

you're right, there was a debate on another forum and I was curious what u guys think..

Golovinjured.
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
I hate it when people say AnnaK couldn't play tennis :banghead: She reached a Wimbledon semifinal, was a World #8 in singles and was a #1 doubles player for quite a long stint. Sure - she didn't win a singles title, but she still achieved alot in her few years on the tour, sadly cut short by injury :bigcry:

When/If MariaK breaks the worlds Top 10 and reaches a GS slam, then I may consider her - but not yet.

goldenlox
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Kournikova played her last pro match at 21, and Maria is 21.
Kournikova made a Miami final and Wimbledon semi, was top 10. She did much more.

In talent, they aren't far apart. Kirilenko hasn't put all the pieces together yet.

LindsayRulz
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Anna by miles.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM

Kournikova never played small tournaments in her career :rolleyes:

DimaDinosaur
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:08 PM
yea....i am done arguing, you have your opinion, i have mine:p

:lol: That's your way of saying that you realize you're wrong and can no longer defend your original statement so you're trying to end it and not appear foolish. I love these games the Williams fans play :lol:

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:10 PM
:lol: That's your way of saying that you realize you're wrong and can no longer defend your original statement so you're trying to end it and not appear foolish. I love these games the Williams fans play :lol:

i'm not wrong, i'm tired.:p

tennismaster8820
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Anna had much more talent for sure!

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
easily anna

Sund7101
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:41 PM
People are quick to forget that Anna was a great player, title or not. She was great in doubles and she and Martina were an awesome doubles team.

*JR*
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Kirilenkova Kuter. :kiss:

cellophane
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM

She did.... she lost in one (or a few) to Smashnova from what I remember.

sammy01
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:53 PM
kirilenko has won singles titles, anna hasn't
Anna is great at doubles, but i vote Maria

:confused: davenport has more titles that venus and serena does that make her a better player?

anna has a slam semi final and qtr, top 10 ranking and finals at tier 1. she won 3 grand slam doubles titles. its anna by far but kirilenko has time to achieve still.

Dave.
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Of course Kournikova! Anna is one of the great players of her generation. She won 2 Grand Slam titles and reached number 1 in the world (including year-end in 2000) in doubles. Apart from being an extremely successful doubles player, she also reached top 10 in singles, a Wimbledon SF, and many wins over great players.

Anna's 16 WTA titles > Maria's 5 WTA titles.

Slutati
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:09 PM
Kournikova!

Topspin2
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:23 PM
Anna Kournikova of corse, but i like both girls :D

.Andrew.
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM
Anna for sure is much more talented. I remember her being such a crafty player though her serve needed work but she really had most of the shots in the book.

About their careers right now, Anna still has the better career. She has had better Slam results and many titles in doubles including Grand Slams though she hasn't won a WTA Tour singles title. It's pretty sad that she didn't get to live up to her potential, but hopefully she makes a comeback but IMO I doubt that. Maria, on the other hand, has already won 2 titles in Beijing and Kolkata. Her runs to both titles were pretty remarkable. At the end, I think Maria will have the better career.

Milito22
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Maria :cool:

Ryan
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Despite never winning a singles title Anna had more talent in her sexy baby toe than Kirilenko, as much as I'm a fan. Kournikova at her peak was fucking wicked to watch - she's also much hotter. An Anna-Maria twosome would make me die. :drool:

Golovinjured.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM
Could you imagine this doubles team? Kournikova and Kirilenko :drool:

faboozadoo15
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:01 AM

Yeah she did. Quite a few actually.

the cat
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:55 AM
I like Anna Kournikova and Maria Kirilenko alot. :) But I think Anna Kournikova was a better tennis player than Maria Kirilenko is and had a little more natural tennis talent than Maria does as well. Masha has won 2 WTA Tour singles titles while Anna never won one. But that doesn't mean much to me because Anna's best career match wins are better than Maria's at this point in Makiri's career as are Anna grand slam results. Anna was a better tennis player than Maria is but not by much and Little Masha still has a good chance to surpass Anna's singles career in the future. Anna and Maria are very similar in that they are from Russia, are Muscovites, share a similar height and playing weight, have talented all court games, move beautifuly and are Bolshoi ballerina's in tennis sneakers. :tennis: :dance: ;) And both Anna and Maria have similar weaknesses in terms of serving issues and lacking mental toughness on court. Also both have been coached by Eric Van Harpen. Maybe Van Harpen should be asked who is a better tennis player between Anna and Maria. I bet he would say Maria. ;)

OsloErik
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
I think it's a little unfair to fault Anna too much for not having a singles title, although it is a rather embarrassing hole in an otherwise impressive resume. But the fact that she got to #8 in the world without a singles title is damn impressive. The only player with a higher ranking without a singles title is Petrova, who reached #6 (I think) without one.

There was a time when Kournikova was considered by many, many people to be one of the ten best players in the world. She was tipped by a handful of pundits to win Wimbledon in 1998, the year she came back to beat Steffi Graf at Eastbourne, before she injured herself. I don't think anyone has yet considered Kirilenko to be one of the top 20 players in the world, not even back when she hit #20 for those few weeks in '06, and I would be stunned to see her win a slam. Even though Kournikova never won a title, it wouldn't have surprised me if she had won Wimbledon in '97, '98, or '99. I could see her winning a slam as her first title. I can't picture Kirilenko ever winning one, first, second, or last.

AK-DH Fan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:02 AM
Well I like both players but I think Anna had more talente, mainly because Anna could hit winners from seemingly impossible positions in the court. I feel like Kirilenko has to work the point alot more than Kournikova did.. I think that if they were to play in their primes Anna would win, but I feel like Kirilenko can still improve alot more. I guess what I'm saying is that Anna was a great shot maker, I don't really think Makiri is

Kworb
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:06 AM
Anna!

sd3300123
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
Kournikova

BarsonlyOne
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
I would give it to Anna. She was always at the top of the game, barring her last couple of years on tour due to injuries. Her achievements by the time she was 20 would be envied by many players. She had beaten all the top players of that era, martina monica lindsay steffi capriati arantxa martinez tauziat, even mauresmo and clijsters, though she is 0-12 against the williams sisters. She had a beautiful aggressive game, such natural talent at such a young age. The only person that could top anna with feel and touch and natural talent being so young is martina hingis. i guess thats why they were such a great doubles team. sad that she never reached her potential. people always said that if she ever won her first title, she would keep on winning, just couldnt get over the hurdle.

Leo_DFP
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:53 AM
:lol: :lol: This thread is a joke, right? I don't care if Maria K has won a couple mickey mouse events... Ana has been in a GS SF, the YEC multiple times, the top ten, beaten tons of top players, won doubles Slams, etc. Also more talented than the brainless Kirilenko.

Anna K gets an undeservedly bad rap. She was a really legitimate top player with so much potential, and then in 2001 things started going downhill.

So Disrespectful
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Anna had so much talent that was often overlooked. If she had just a little more firepower and mental strength, she could have done great things. She was a fantastic strategist and used strokes other players don't really touch, like the forehand slice, good drop-shots and she was very smart with her first serve. (The double fault issue that began later on in her career is an entirely different thing)

She was really a joy to watch, more variety than most of the other girls.

ViennaCalling
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
Anna of course.

Modiac.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Anna is simply better.She has variety games,solid volley and top 10 ranking.
It's not time for compare Maria with Anna.:tape:
I love Maria and the good news is she hasn't retired yet.
So she still has time and space to improve.

Princeza
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Anna obviously.

Brengle_Nation
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
This is a real toughie in my opinion. In the end I had to choose Anna because she did get to the Wimbledon semi finals in her career. If we consider that as the peak of Anna's game, I don't think Maria could reach the same stage of a Grand Slam.

I hope Maria proves me wrong though because I have a lot of time for her.

InTheGloaming
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
If Anna came back interest in tennis would go through the roof!

And if Jennifer joined her back it would go into orbit!

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
By the age of 20 Kournikova was world #8 in singles (#1 in doubles) with Grand Slam SF and QF (plus 7 4th round finishes), 39-16 win-loss record at GS, three Tier I finals and 16 Top-10 wins.

Kirilenko has won 2 singles titles (Tier II + III), reached #20, reached one GS 4th round, posted 21-17 win-loss record at GS, scored 4 Top-10 wins.

Lilowannabe
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Anna was/is probably the better player. Before all the endorsment deals and media interest, Anna was primed to be one of the next big time players (along with Williams sisters) but she got distracted or lost her motivation!?! I feel sorry for Anna when people joke about her tennis ability. She had so much promise, oh well thats what ya' get for being blonde and leggy!!

Highlandman
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Kournikova by far. Anna could have got a great career and she also had a game for being Top-10 for longer time. Too bad her interests outside court became bigger and bigger.

In 2002 she was on a good way again, too bad she gave up then in 2003. Her match against Henin in R2 AO '03 was just :lol: :lol:

Maybe her biggest problem always been her DF's. It was pretty extreme with her many times.

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Anna easily.

bellascarlett
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Kournikova, by far.

Too bad she doesn't have titles to back this up but if you've ever seen Kournikova play, you'd know why. Kirilenko just doesn't shine on court through her play. She's not a top player and seems to not have much potential in that aspect.

Talula
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Anna was extremely talented. Plus she was a superstar. So it's Anna for me!

FrenchY52
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
You excuse me ? You can't even compare them.
Anna hasn't won a title but she has done hundreds of things on-court MariaK hasn't done like beating so many top players, doing great results at big tournaments. And honnestly MariaK has no game, but only brainless shots.

Anna :worship:

the cat
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
:lol: :lol: This thread is a joke, right? I don't care if Maria K has won a couple mickey mouse events... Ana has been in a GS SF, the YEC multiple times, the top ten, beaten tons of top players, won doubles Slams, etc. Also more talented than the brainless Kirilenko.

Anna K gets an undeservedly bad rap. She was a really legitimate top player with so much potential, and then in 2001 things started going downhill.
How is Maria Kirilenko winning Tier 2 Bejiing in 2005 a mickey mouse event when she bet Maria Sharapova in the semifinals? :confused:

Emina.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM

no, actually it is a legitimate question compared to the many :bs: GM threads that are created daily :)
As you can see, 28 persons voted Kirilenko.:wavey:

NicoMary
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
well there is no match!
Anna Kournikova was a top player,
whatever people can say about the fact that she has no single title,
she's been in the top 10, and beat like every top player in the world...davenport, graf, hingis, seles, capriati, clijsters, pierce, sanchez, dokic...
8th in the world, double n°1 player, semi final in the masters, quarterfinal at the australian, semi at wimbly....
Anna Kournikova was a true gift for tennis and sports:hearts:

fammmmedspin
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
well there is no match!
Anna Kournikova was a top player,
whatever people can say about the fact that she has no single title,
she's been in the top 10, and beat like every top player in the world...davenport, graf, hingis, seles, capriati, clijsters, pierce, sanchez, dokic...
8th in the world, double n°1 player, semi final in the masters, quarterfinal at the australian, semi at wimbly....
Anna Kournikova was a true gift for tennis and sports:hearts:

Anyone who can outslug Steffi on grass is a great player - its a pretty select club.

Natash.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:47 AM
You excuse me ? You can't even compare them.
Anna hasn't won a title but she has done hundreds of things on-court MariaK hasn't done like beating so many top players, doing great results at big tournaments. And honnestly MariaK has no game, but only brainless shots.

Anna :worship:

:weirdo:

I think Kirilenko has plenty of talent and potential. She's just not mentally there and can play utter brilliance for two or so games and then can play awful for a few games. :lol:

But Kirilenko obviously has game and talent.

And when you saw Kournikova play, she was also pretty brainless at times. Both suffer from inconsistency. I think right now Van Harpen is really helping Kirilenko and she has the drive right now which makes me believe that she'll do much better.

zveeen
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Kournikova

serena_fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Maria

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think it's disrespectful to Kournikova to even make this comparison. :weirdo:

Anna by miles and miles, it's not even worth debate really.

Lovesunair
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
well, i don't understand people who say that Kirilenko is talentless. Maybe she is inconsistent and a little bit weak physically and mentally but she definitely has a talent. I like her game when she's on. Good technics, nice touch and awesome footwork.

Considering the pool - Anna by miles, i really think that she was one of most talented girls who has ever step on court.
Speed, technics, variety of game and of course beauty :)

saint2
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Situation is clearly- 2:0 for Masha.

mankind
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Anna by several country miles.

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
no, actually it is a legitimate question compared to the many :bs: GM threads that are created daily :)
As you can see, 28 persons voted Kirilenko.:wavey:

28 people who probably never saw Kournikova play during her 98/99 days.

frenchie
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
LOL no question here!!:rolleyes:
Those who said Kirilenko clearly never saw Anna play

Anna was on her way to the top in 2001
She had a great 2000, finishing the year at nr8 and begun 200& reaching the AO QF, Tokyo SF and Paris QF where she was killing Mauresmo untill she got injured

She was never the same after that even if she showed some flashes of brilliance in 2002:sad:

Go and watch some of her matches and then we'll talk...:wavey:

Emina.
Feb 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
bump :haha:

Demska
Feb 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Anna for sure.

AnomyBC
Feb 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Kournikova does have more titles, just not in singles. And she could have gotten singles titles too if she had entered more of the crappy tournaments, but for whatever reason she choose not to do that.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Weakass players both