PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Venus' Performances?

Brashkoala
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
After seeing her play amazing and destroy Sharapova in the finals of the Watson's Watergate challenge, Venus' performances have been mediocre to say the least. How can her level drop so much from week to week? What's up with her?

AcesHigh
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
1. It's only been two tournaments

2. Hong Kong was an exhibition

3. Venus usually doesn't play so well around this time and I heard the conditions were bad.

4. Venus really didn't play so awesome in Hong Kong. The match wasn't that great.

and finally....
5. When was the last time Venus put together several weeks of consistent top level play?

I think you'll find your answer somewhere among there.

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM

3. Venus usually doesn't play so well around this time and I heard the conditions were bad.

4. Venus really didn't play so awesome in Hong Kong. The match wasn't that great.

and finally....
5. When was the last time Venus put together several weeks of consistent top level play?

:worship:
but i also think no weave messes with her concentration:tape:
get your long hair back:bigcry:

hdfb
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Please it hasn't even been a whole year since she WON Wimbledon. People are just quick to write her off after a few bad performances. But she comes back to prove all you guys wrong, just wait for it.

mckyle.
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:20 PM
She went on a high between July-September last year but lost it half-way through Asia. That was the highest her confidence had been in five years. But all it takes is one bad or scratchy performance to destroy that confidence when you haven't had it in so long.

Michael!
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Her wrists weren´t taped...maybe a strange feeling for her....:lol:
Uranium you´re right! Get your long hair back :sad:

DimaDinosaur
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM
yes, please grow some hair

hacberto
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm just so tired of this bullshit

Stupid people saying ohh what's wrong with Venus?? Oh my God the Wimbledon Champion loosing so badly in a tournament!!! Oh my God what a disgrace and then when she satart winning all people are kissing her big black ass.

I'm tired of those fake people that call themselfs Venus' fans who say ohh Venus is so great and I love her and then they go damn bitch Im so ashamed of you loosing like that o my God I can't belive it, it just makes me sick.

Let's not forget the haters who loves Venus losses and I just can't believe how many of them come out of the closet when Venus had a lost. She's so famous.

I just wanted to do this because I thinks it's unfair when all this negative thread and all the bullshit came out when Venus didn't win a match but when another player didn't win
they go well it's ok she'll be back in the next tournament.
It's unfair. Venus isn't a bitch and when she doesn't play good you treat her like one. So muuch negative energy going around here

sky20748
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
well said.you completely read my mind.

trivfun
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM
When you play physical power tennis, the consistency isn't there week to week to begin with. Venus game is go out and get the ball. She can handle the Sharapovas but the Sugiyamas of the world give her fits. She still hasn't figured out how to steamroll those players. She doesn't like to force errors in her opponents like lobs or variety shot placements which you have to do against lesser players. Venus wants to win the point outright with no help from noboby refs, umps, or tactics unless it is a major and she is down a break. That is why she is a great fighter but it works against her against lesser opponents.

The Daviator
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:40 PM
I haven't seen her in Doha, but she didn't look good at the AO, but like others have said, this isn't her time of year, still she's planning on playing a lot in the coming weeks, so top 5 is right around the corner :yeah:

mckyle.
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:04 PM

Stupid people saying ohh what's wrong with Venus?? Oh my God the Wimbledon Champion loosing so badly in a tournament!!! Oh my God what a disgrace and then when she satart winning all people are kissing her big black ass.

I'm tired of those fake people that call themselfs Venus' fans who say ohh Venus is so great and I love her and then they go damn bitch Im so ashamed of you loosing like that o my God I can't belive it, it just makes me sick.

Let's not forget the haters who loves Venus losses and I just can't believe how many of them come out of the closet when Venus had a lost. She's so famous.

I just wanted to do this because I thinks it's unfair when all this negative thread and all the bullshit came out when Venus didn't win a match but when another player didn't win
It's unfair. Venus isn't a bitch and when she doesn't play good you treat her like one. So muuch negative energy going around here

Really. Go in the other thread to have a pity party. This thread wasn't made out of malicious intent. She's been playing really scratchy and erratically so people are wondering what's up and we're here to give our reasoning.

faboozadoo15
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM
They've got catfish on the table
They've got gospel in the air
And Reverend Green be glad to see you
When you haven't got a prayer
But boy you've got a prayer in Memphis.

Don't lose hope!

There's always a chance in the land of the delta blues...

new-york
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:48 PM
er(m).

Venus is patchy, that is.
Too bad she couldn't do something this week as the big points are here but oh well, there will always be a faster court and a good day.

Brooks.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
well let's hope she can at least win Memphis :scared:

but then again Lindsay always brings her best for Venus :rolleyes:

Tennisstar86
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Venus always plays bad in the first half of the year..... next stupid question please....

Cakeisgood
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:23 AM

That was quite a rant. I agree with M16, just an observation, NOT an attack.

I like Venus and all, but she's been weak as of late.

Leo_DFP
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:34 AM

and finally....

No. The real answer, the only answer, is:

1. Venus is crap outside of Wimbledon. Period.

I like Venus, and I can even admit that this is true. She's not a real contender elsewhere. She beats herself far too often.

Cakeisgood
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:37 AM

I like Venus, and I can even admit that this is true. She's not a real contender elsewhere. She beats herself far too often.

Harsh. But sadly, relatively true.

@danieln1
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
well let's hope she can at least win Memphis :scared:

but then again Lindsay always brings her best for Venus :rolleyes:

I would love to see their match, a tough match for both of them. I hope it will be in the same level of the other amazing matches these 2 players had played against each other!

Tennisstar86
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM

Check the results. Venus has never lost to anyone ranked outside the top 4 at the Us Open... so Wimbledon isnt her only tournament where she is a factor....

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:47 AM

What a dumb statement. Have you seen her play at USO?? :rolleyes: She's shown promising patches and to consider "not a real contender elsewhere" is terribly foolish.

darrinbaker00
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
What a dumb statement. Have you seen her play at USO?? :rolleyes: She's shown promising patches and to consider "not a real contender elsewhere" is terribly foolish.
That's the problem, my friend. Someone with Venus' extraordinary talent shouldn't be "showing promising patches." They should be consistently great.

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
That's the problem, my friend. Someone with Venus' extraordinary talent shouldn't be "showing promising patches." They should be consistently great.

Key would is "should". This is your opinion and everyone has the right to one.

However, Venus's career has been characterized by inconsistency and there's no reason not to expect this now.

mckyle.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
However, Venus's career has been characterized by inconsistency and there's no reason not to expect this now.

Not her entire career, just the last 5 years :o

mankind
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Gettin' old.

Who knows.

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM

2007 USO anyone>?...

She was practically in the finals!:hearts:

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
She needs to figure out some of these players coming up in my opinion.

She needs some fresh coaching input!

Leo_DFP
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM

Yes, she did play great there last year and give Justine a tough time. However, that was her first SF in Flushing Meadows since 2002. :tape:

People need to wake up a bit.

bellascarlett
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
After seeing her play amazing and destroy Sharapova in the finals of the Watson's Watergate challenge, Venus' performances have been mediocre to say the least. How can her level drop so much from week to week? What's up with her?

Inconsistency is the norm for her it seems and inconsistency is something I see as a weakness in itself in tennis. And I really don't know why people are putting much unnecessary importance on an exhibition. And I was there, Venus didn't destroy Sharapova. It wasn't a well-played match. It was also, in your own words, mediocre. But yes, it is an exhibition for a reason.

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
2007 USO anyone>?...

She was practically in the finals!:hearts:

LOL...delusional much? She barely survived the quarters abd then lost in straight sets against Henin (you know, the person she had a 7:1 head-to-head record against before :tape:)

Yes, she did play great there last year and give Justine a tough time. However, that was her first SF in Flushing Meadows since 2002. :tape:

Exactly.

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
LOL...delusional much? She barely survived the quarters abd then lost in straight sets against Henin (you know, the person she had a 7:1 head-to-head record against before :tape:)

Exactly.

she's still up 7-2:p
she hasn't made semis since 2002 because 2003 and 2006 she didn't play,2004-she played Davenport in R16 and 2005-she tanked against Kim
:rolleyes:

Nicolás89
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
What's Up With Venus' Performances?

I have been wondering the same since 2004.

NicoMary
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Well we all know that since two years Venus has to get great special new motivations to win.
When she really pretend to, we know that she is able to put 1 and 1 to anybody. except Henin maybe...
I was watching her playing Monica Seles in San diego 2000, she was just far from what she use to be know. Honestly she would beat anyone with her 2000's level.
however She'll destroy everyone after clay court season.....:bounce:

LOVE YOU VENUS:hearts:

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
she's still up 7-2:p
she hasn't made semis since 2002 because 2003 and 2006 she didn't play,2004-she played Davenport in R16 and 2005-she tanked against Kim
:rolleyes:

Yeah, keep those excuses coming :rocker2:

And Venus still leads 7:2 because she was lucky to never face Henin from 2003-2006 :lol:

V-MAC
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Age is a big factor I believe. I think most players lose confidence as they get older and that certainly seems to be the case with Vee. Her game is still there but her mental state (which used to be the best in the business, now I guess Maria has it) has been eroded away over the past few years. I've noticed for a while now how Vee seems to get really nervous in her matches so that is related to the whole confidence issue. I love Vee and while I certainly expect her to win more titles (including slams) in her career, I don't expect her to reach that level of consistency she had in 2000/2001 again........but then with Vee you have to expect the unexpected so you never know :lol:

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

And Venus still leads 7:2 because she was lucky to never face Henin from 2003-2006 :lol:

whats an excuse:confused:i gave credit to lindsay and said kim beat vee. Excuse where?
they did play in 2003:p

darrinbaker00
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Age is a big factor I believe. I think most players lose confidence as they get older and that certainly seems to be the case with Vee. Her game is still there but her mental state (which used to be the best in the business, now I guess Maria has it) has been eroded away over the past few years. I've noticed for a while now how Vee seems to get really nervous in her matches so that is related to the whole confidence issue. I love Vee and while I certainly expect her to win more titles (including slams) in her career, I don't expect her to reach that level of consistency she had in 2000/2001 again........but then with Vee you have to expect the unexpected so you never know :lol:
Venus is 27, not 37. Try again.

Geisha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I don't want to make excuses for Venus. I mean, since 2004, she has been extremely patchy. It almost...it hasn't really been patchy. She's been a top 15 player who wins a Major every two years. She isn't on the same level as Maria, who's consistently in the latter rounds of tournaments. She isn't on the same level as Justine. She SHOULD be. But, she doesn't bring it enough. I mean, everyone had to deal with windy occassions this week - Maria didn't lose. What I find funny is that it is ONLY with Venus and Serena when their opponents are ON FIRE. This isn't true. When Justine plays players that are on FIRE, she gets through them - like Golovin last year. Venus just needs to find consistent, high level of play.

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM

Exactly.

What do you mean "before". Bitter much? Their H2H is 7-2. Get over it.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM

leave matt alone... :sad: she's more than bitter :awww:

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM

Venus beat Henin 6-3 6-3 in 2003 Aussie open semis. Since when is "not playing an opponent" an excuse? :weirdo: In that case Henin was lucky to avoid both ws at 2003 US open and 2004 AO. It's funny how people pretend there is no yesterday. Ok let's forget 2007 too and make Maria no.1 and accuse you of living in the past and making excuses :rolleyes:

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM

The h-t-h was 7:1 before, now it's 7:2, got it? It' no rocket science :rolleyes:

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
leave matt alone... :sad: she's more than bitter :awww:

She???

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
The h-t-h was 7:1 before, now it's 7:2, got it? It' no rocket science :rolleyes:

So you think Justine "upset" Venus at the US Open? Why the ":tape:"? Believe in Justine. She is not that bad ;)

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
She???

:lol:

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
So you think Justine "upset" Venus at the US Open? Why the ":tape:"? Believe in Justine. She is not that bad ;)

I didn't think that Justine did "upset" Venus. For me, Justine was the big favorite against Venus. It was lots of the people on this bord who were trying to tell us that Justine's game doesn't match well with Venus and were using their h-t-h from 2003 and before as proof and they claimed that Venus would win :tape: :rolleyes:

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Venus beat Henin 6-3 6-3 in 2003 Aussie open semis. Since when is "not playing an opponent" an excuse? :weirdo: In that case Henin was lucky to avoid both ws at 2003 US open and 2004 AO. It's funny how people pretend there is no yesterday. Ok let's forget 2007 too and make Maria no.1 and accuse you of living in the past and making excuses :rolleyes:

You think that both WS didn't play 2003 USO and 2004 AO?

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
did they play?? :confused:

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
You think that both WS didn't play 2003 USO and 2004 AO?

Venus played 2004 AO :rolleyes:

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
I didn't think that Justine did "upset" Venus. For me, Justine was the big favorite against Venus. It was lots of the people on this bord who were trying to tell us that Justine's game doesn't match well with Venus and were using their h-t-h from 2003 and before as proof and they claimed that Venus would win :tape: :rolleyes:

What did you expect them to do? Use an imaginary H2H or what? :weirdo:

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Venus played 2004 AO :rolleyes:

You indicated that she didn't.

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
What did you expect them to do? Use an imaginary H2H or what? :weirdo:

I expected them to at least have the brain to take into account that their last match against each other was years ago and that Justine in 2007 was a completely different player than in 2002/03 when Serena dominated and even Venus was still able to actually win something outside of grass. :rolleyes:

new-york
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Matt, is your point that Venus is uber crap outside of grass. (???)

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM

more than likely that's her point

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM

yea mattt, be careful he's a mod:devil:;)

AcesHigh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:49 PM

Their games don't match up well. That's why it was so close and why it was probably the best match of 2007 quality-wise and the best aggressive match I've seen Justine play at USO in her career.

bwahahahahaha
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
I expected them to at least have the brain to take into account that their last match against each other was years ago and that Justine in 2007 was a completely different player than in 2002/03 when Serena dominated and even Venus was still able to actually win something outside of grass. :rolleyes:

Why do predictions bother you? People are free to say what they want. Maybe if you grow up and respect other players, there will be no problem. Who knows? :rolleyes:

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM

No, but she is not as good these days outside of grass as she was from around 2000-2003. And fact is also that she hasn't won a big tournament outside of grass in years.

Do you disagree with that?

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Why do predictions bother you? People are free to say what they want. Maybe if you grow up and respect other players, there will be no problem. Who knows? :rolleyes:

the only predictions accepted by matt are those saying jh wins everything...if not she bad reps you lol

new-york
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
No, but she is not as good these days outside of grass as she was from around 2000-2003. And fact is also that she hasn't won a big tournament outside of grass in years.

Do you disagree with that?

i can't, obviously.
it was an innocent question.
it's that i had to ask since the few posts of yours that i read gave me the impression that for you it was more about putting her down than about lookin at the facts.

ok then.

Matt01
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:59 PM

And I'm free to criticize other people when I think they're posting ridiculous things, no?
And I respect all players. It's the people who are saying the his/her favorite lost because of the wind/beat herself or saying that the loss was a fluke, who don't respect all players.

Tennisstar86
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM

lol... yet shes never lost to anyone ranked outside the top 4 at the US open... A stat she doesnt even have at Wimbledon... I'm pretty sure shes the only girl on tour with that stat at a Grand slam.....

Slutati
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
lol... yet shes never lost to anyone ranked outside the top 4 at the US open... A stat she doesnt even have at Wimbledon... I'm pretty sure shes the only girl on tour with that stat at a Grand slam.....

:eek:omg Venus:bowdown:

friendsita
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I just want to see her playing!

Leo_DFP
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
:eek:omg Venus:bowdown:

:rolleyes: Ummm, it's not really that amazing. They're still losses. And she still hasn't reached the finals of Flushing since 2002.

Midnite Surfer
Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
I don't think Venus is as confident as she used to be. That's the only real problem. She still has the game to beat anyone and to do it consistently but she really doesn't play enough to have that confidence week in and week out. As far as her beating Sharapova in an exhibition match. I am supremely confident that players with the ego of the Williams sisters or Sharapova wouldn't fly all the way to Hong Kong not long before the Australian Open to play in front of thousands of adoring fans without an intention to win. Exhibition or not multitudes of people are watching and you want to head into the Australian Open on a positive note, not having just lost again to an aging player that has beaten you the last two times you played at Wimbledon. I seriously doubt that Maria didn't care whether she won or lost the match. That is a really weak argument.

SV_Fan
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
She just needs some cinfidence and motivation.

mankind
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
She just needs some cinfidence and motivation.

...and a time machine.

bwahahahahaha
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
:rolleyes: Ummm, it's not really that amazing. They're still losses. And she still hasn't reached the finals of Flushing since 2002.

Really? Why don't you tell us Lindsay's record? :rolleyes:

Tennisstar86
Feb 24th, 2008, 01:17 AM

lol....hate much.... Venus is in a tie for most US Open titles for active players.... And every year shes lost its taken not only a top 4 player but also the eventual champion to beat her...(save for 2004... when Davenport, who should have won, Choked....):tape::help:

Tennisaddict
Feb 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
When I saw Venus play in the quarters of OZ I tought she had lost the hunger to go all out. But she came to Doha all the way from America while she could have stayed at home.
That shows that she still wants it. I know that the first half of the season isn't her best time but something is wrong. She should not lose to Cibulkova although she is a good player. She made 40+ errors! Even against Ivanovic in OZ she did not have to lose.
I think she needs more matchplay so she can get more rythm and confidence. She can still do big things this year and I hope she will.

starin
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I don't want to make excuses for Venus. I mean, since 2004, she has been extremely patchy. It almost...it hasn't really been patchy. She's been a top 15 player who wins a Major every two years. She isn't on the same level as Maria, who's consistently in the latter rounds of tournaments. She isn't on the same level as Justine. She SHOULD be. But, she doesn't bring it enough. I mean, everyone had to deal with windy occassions this week - Maria didn't lose. What I find funny is that it is ONLY with Venus and Serena when their opponents are ON FIRE. This isn't true. When Justine plays players that are on FIRE, she gets through them - like Golovin last year. Venus just needs to find consistent, high level of play.

:worship: I agree 100%.

Venus is top 15-20 player. I'd put her on the same level as Hantuchova, Schnyder, Bartoli, Dementieva. If you look at their results and Venus and you subtract Venus Wimbledon results, they are very similar. Some losses to players they shouldn't lose to and some good results here and there. And lots of chokes. The only difference IMO is that Venus can sometimes string together a few matches of high level play at Wimbledon and Venus high level of play is good enough to beat most anybody no matter how well they are playing.

Oh and I thought Venus and Sharapova played well at that HK event. Vensu was hitting the ball big and making too many UE. Too bad she could only continue that for 3/4 a match at the AO...while Sharapvoa picked up her level of play.

SV_Fan
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Manatee that is an insult. Venus is wayyyyy better than Patty and Deniela.