PDA

View Full Version : OMG Amélie cried after her loss ...

debby
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Translated from "L'Equipe" :

Next Monday, Amélie Mauresmo will be ranked 29, the same ranking she had at the end of 1998, at a time when she was an improving 19 year-old player. Beaten yesterday in two sets (76 75) after a frustrating thriller against the half-retired asian tamarine Tanasugarn (ranked 101), she kept from the champion she was in 2006 the desire to fight, at the same time against herself, her opponent and the wind.
During 2h20, after nihtfall, Loic Courteau, her coach and Michel Franco, her kine watched, frozen and helpless, the deperating and desperate match of their player.
"What can I say ? Courteau said. That Amélie never played well in windy conditions? That the flat shots of Tanasugarn don't fit her game? That she made too many errors especially on crucial points ? There was all of that in the match. It hard ..."
After a quite satsifying first round against young German Lisicki, Mauresmo had on the paper a rather easy match against the 30 year-old Thai, who pays well only on hard surfaces and who almost quit tennis in 2005 to start studying law. With clean flat shots, good movements and some luck, Tanasugarn took advantage of Mauresmo's bad mobility, that caused her to hit so many balls with the border of her raquet.

Until the end, the French could hope to turn things around. In the first set, first of all,she came back from 53 40 0 and managed to play the tie-break. But when she got a set point at 6-5,a miraculous return from Tanasugarn saved her. In the second set, it was mauresmo who won her service game to take the lead 53. But instead of keeping on with the same level, she started making mistakes again and lost the 4 last games.
In tears after he match (which almost never happened to her), Mauresmo didn't have the courage to go to her press conference but promissed to talk about it later. Today perhaps ...
The frenchwoman is certainly asking herself questions after this result, along with the other desillusions she had this year. Why would she have to fight duing more than two hours in the night, in front of 30 frozen supporters with no control on her game? Is it brearable for a 28 year old champion, weakened by a succession of injuries, to keep playing tournaments with no decnt results in months? The last time she lost against a player ranked out of top 100 was in 2003 in 's-Hertogenbosch against Barbara Rittner (102) and the last top 10 beaten by Mauresmo is Kim Clijsters, 53 weeks ago, just before the frenchwoman went through her apendectomy. In the last 8 months, her best perfrmance is sumed up by a fed cup win against Italian plauyer Santangelo (in July 2007).
The accumulation of bad performances never really reached Mauresmo's confidence up to now, even with some severe defeats at the end of last year. She hoped to start 2008 on new basis but today, she's still waiting for the win that will boost her game. However, we shouldn't be surprised if she puts an end to her career in the weeks to come.

Ellery
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Amelie :hug: :sad:

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
:awww::hug:

morningglory
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
The last time she lost against a player ranked out of top 100 was in 2003 in 's-Hertogenbosch against Barbara Rittner (102) and the last top 10 beaten by Mauresmo is Kim Clijsters, 53 weeks ago, just before the frenchwoman went through her apendectomy. In the last 8 months, her best perfrmance is sumed up by a fed cup win against Italian plauyer Santangelo (in July 2007).
Didnt realize her slump was that bad... so it's been more than a year now since she beat a top 10? :shrug: Maybe she can draw Marion at some tournament to break that streak :lol:

Destiny
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
:sad:
:hug:
Momo needs something to pick her up:smooch::hug:

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
"However, we shouldn't be surprised if she puts an end to her career in the weeks to come."
:eek::sad:

Duramont
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Please don't give up Amélie! :sad:

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Amelie :(

Linnie
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
"However, we shouldn't be surprised if she puts an end to her career in the weeks to come."

Dramatic much? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the translation :)

Kitten63
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Poor Amelie :sad::hug:

Slutati
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
She won't retire.Not yet

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM

that's not dramatic, she's losing to BAD players and can't get confidence, i wouldn't be surprised if she retired, i miss her 2006 form:(

IanRadi
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
I would like to see a picture of her crying :rolleyes:

sammy01
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
i think shes being a bit stubborn in the fight to find form. she and loic keep saying it will come, but why should it? she needs to get out there and put the tennis together, rather than just hoping it will come like shes been doing. she needs to forget shes a slam champion and former #1, she just needs to go out there and fight and get her knees dirty, play some ugly tennis and get some wins.

when you have no confidence the one thing you have to do is fight because pulling out a win can does so much for a players confidence. when i saw her play casey in oz she just seemed to have the attitude my game will come, and it didn't, where as she needed to be scrapping digging deep and she would have beaten dellacqua.

its sad to hear shes crying over loses but i'd prefer to hear she out on the practice courts working hard. she has a great game but no confidence the only way shes going to regain the confidence is by fighting for it.

Ceze
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
obviously it's from L'Equipe, that has been very harsh towards her the last few months :tape:

Melly Flew Us
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
i think shes being a bit stubborn in the fight to find form. she and loic keep saying it will come, but why should it? she needs to get out there and put the tennis together, rather than just hoping it will come like shes been doing. she needs to forget shes a slam champion and former #1, she just needs to go out there and fight and get her knees dirty, play some ugly tennis and get some wins.

when you have no confidence the one thing you have to do is fight because pulling out a win can does so much for a players confidence. when i saw her play casey in oz she just seemed to have the attitude my game will come, and it didn't, where as she needed to be scrapping digging deep and she would have beaten dellacqua.

its sad to hear shes crying over loses but i'd prefer to hear she out on the practice courts working hard. she has a great game but no confidence the only way shes going to regain the confidence is by fighting for it.
amen.

janko
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
I would like to see a picture of her crying :rolleyes:

:confused:

How stupid you are to want to see it...:help:

Linnie
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
that's not dramatic, she's losing to BAD players and can't get confidence, i wouldn't be surprised if she retired, i miss her 2006 form:(
What Ceze said. L'Equipe has been predicting Amélie's demise for months now. Unless I hear it out of her mouth directly that she's hanging it up, I'll assume she'll still be out there playing.

jonny84
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
:hug: Hope Amelie gets back to her top form soon.

Hugo24
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
:hug:Amelie

Ksenia.
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Less than 2 years ago she won 2 Grand Slams and was #1 :( I hope she will get back to a better level

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Awww amelie she will come back in french open and do really well i hope :) gd luck nxt tournament amelie

frontier
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
I kind of feel sorry for her with her already fragile psyche,I feel she might find it difficult to overcome this slump and decide to throw in the towel.

*Jean*
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
Amélie :sad:

Ben.
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Amelie :awww: :hug: I really do hope she can find some form soon. Its frustrating but if she overcomes this the stronger she will be.

IceHock
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM
That was sad to read.

LefandePatty
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
That sucks. I mean I've never liked Amélie very much but I feel sad for her.
She has too much talent to lose those matchs against such players
(Nothing against Tammy I love her, but I only think Momo shouldn't lose against her).

I really hope she will find a way to gain some confidence. She deserves it.
She has really a nice game with lots of variety,
there are not much players left that play like her on the tour and it would be sad to lose one of them,
and such an important one.

Good luck Amelie !

E.Dementieva_FAN
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Amelie :awww::hug:

Emina.
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
:sad::sad::sad:

Cat123
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM
:awww: I like Amelie a lot, it makes me sad that a year a a bit after winning 2 GS titles she's taken such a nosedive. I hope she can claw her way back up soon.

ce
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
omg

Keaka
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Not a fan really, but hopefully she gets back in form and top 10 :awww:

esquímaux
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:27 PM

frontier
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Maybethe appendectomy was botched.

hablo
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM
That sucks. I mean I've never liked Amélie very much but I feel sad for her.
She has too much talent to lose those matchs against such players
(Nothing against Tammy I love her, but I only think Momo shouldn't lose against her).

I really hope she will find a way to gain some confidence. She deserves it.
She has really a nice game with lots of variety,
there are not much players left that play like her on the tour and it would be sad to lose one of them,
and such an important one.

Good luck Amelie !

Shocking.

You know Momo has really fallen low when one of her biggest haters is saying nice about her. :awww:

Anyhow, let's hope both Patty & Amélie get it going again real soon.

Bruno71
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:39 PM
One thing clicked with me in that article...her movement is not up to snuff. That would certainly create a lot of the UFE's she's generated lately. I hope that's something she can rectify...not a sign of age or lingering effects of her appendectomy.

Thanks much for the translation.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
:hug: Momo

RJWCapriati
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM

Well I definitely wouldn't say in weeks to come but I think if it remains like this very good chance by the end of the year......

Svetlana.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
I love Amelie and wish to see her doing well :smooch:

Cakeisgood
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
2 years seem so long ago...

what happened to the Momo that won two slams in a year?

Leo_DFP
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
L'Equipe is known for being crap and of course they're not serious that Amelie will retire in the next few weeks.

But this slump is ridiculously bad, worse than any fan or hater could have ever imagined for Amelie, and I think the only answer is to dump Loic. She needs someone who will invigorate her, inspire her, and most of all make her stop hitting that LOOPY DEFENSIVE SHIT. Step in and be aggressive, Ame.

galadriel
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Momo :hug:

sd3300123
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
I do not think crying will help her to get playing better

InTheGloaming
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
:eek::sad:

I got a shock at that too!:eek::sad:

Don't give up Amelie! You make the Tour a bit more special.

samsam4087
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Translated from "L'Equipe" :

Next Monday, Amélie Mauresmo will be ranked 29, the same ranking she had at the end of 1998, at a time when she was an improving 19 year-old player. Beaten yesterday in two sets (76 75) after a frustrating thriller against the half-retired asian tamarine Tanasugarn (ranked 101), she kept from the champion she was in 2006 the desire to fight, at the same time against herself, her opponent and the wind.
During 2h20, after nihtfall, Loic Courteau, her coach and Michel Franco, her kine watched, frozen and helpless, the deperating and desperate match of their player.
"What can I say ? Courteau said. That Amélie never played well in windy conditions? That the flat shots of Tanasugarn don't fit her game? That she made too many errors especially on crucial points ? There was all of that in the match. It hard ..."
After a quite satsifying first round against young German Lisicki, Mauresmo had on the paper a rather easy match against the 30 year-old Thai, who pays well only on hard surfaces and who almost quit tennis in 2005 to start studying law. With clean flat shots, good movements and some luck, Tanasugarn took advantage of Mauresmo's bad mobility, that caused her to hit so many balls with the border of her raquet.

Until the end, the French could hope to turn things around. In the first set, first of all,she came back from 53 40 0 and managed to play the tie-break. But when she got a set point at 6-5,a miraculous return from Tanasugarn saved her. In the second set, it was mauresmo who won her service game to take the lead 53. But instead of keeping on with the same level, she started making mistakes again and lost the 4 last games.
In tears after he match (which almost never happened to her), Mauresmo didn't have the courage to go to her press conference but promissed to talk about it later. Today perhaps ...
The frenchwoman is certainly asking herself questions after this result, along with the other desillusions she had this year. Why would she have to fight duing more than two hours in the night, in front of 30 frozen supporters with no control on her game? Is it brearable for a 28 year old champion, weakened by a succession of injuries, to keep playing tournaments with no decnt results in months? The last time she lost against a player ranked out of top 100 was in 2003 in 's-Hertogenbosch against Barbara Rittner (102) and the last top 10 beaten by Mauresmo is Kim Clijsters, 53 weeks ago, just before the frenchwoman went through her apendectomy. In the last 8 months, her best perfrmance is sumed up by a fed cup win against Italian plauyer Santangelo (in July 2007).
The accumulation of bad performances never really reached Mauresmo's confidence up to now, even with some severe defeats at the end of last year. She hoped to start 2008 on new basis but today, she's still waiting for the win that will boost her game. However, we shouldn't be surprised if she puts an end to her career in the weeks to come.

so sad for Amelie

:sad::sad::sad:

DutchieGirl
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
:hug: Amelie

sonnys
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Amelie:D, you gonna be back strong :devil:

John.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
Amelie :sad::hug:

Beat
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
her confidence is simply not there. i still think she will continue and get back to where she belongs.

mr_burns
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
it is such a hard time, but she will come back sonner or later...She knows how tom play. She is the better player than most of the top 10

ste86
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Amelie plays in Dubai?

Natalicious
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Amelie plays in Dubai?

yes

frenchie
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
This morning I heard on TV channel Canal+ a journalist from "L'équipe" (a very good sport newspaper) that Amélie said that her body wants to play tennis but her head wants to stop tennis

He added she will maybe play IW and Miami as her last tournaments and we maybe won't see her at RG again!!
This is not confirmed of course but the guy was serious

I never liked Amélie but a retirement is always sad!

Natalicious
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
This morning I heard on TV channel Canal+ a journalist from "L'équipe" (a very good sport newspaper) that Amélie said that her body wants to play tennis but her head wants to stop tennis

He added she will maybe play IW and Miami as her last tournaments and we maybe won't see her at RG again!!

please not :sobbing:

Duramont
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
2008 could become a very sad year for me with both Amélie and Nastya retiring :sobbing:

itzhak
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
this is stupid, she will overcome this soon or later...

janko
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
L'Equipe is known for being crap and of course they're not serious that Amelie will retire in the next few weeks.

But this slump is ridiculously bad, worse than any fan or hater could have ever imagined for Amelie, and I think the only answer is to dump Loic. She needs someone who will invigorate her, inspire her, and most of all make her stop hitting that LOOPY DEFENSIVE SHIT. Step in and be aggressive, Ame.

Totally agree;)

I remember posting in late 2005 that Amélie has to stop playing like the grandmother of Conchita Martinez and go to the net, she has always been a great athlete, it's not normal that she has to run against girls that don't have the half of her fitness. By the time she was having these horrible losses in indoor (61 61 against Schiavone in Moscow, 62 60 against Srebotnik in Zurich coming after a sad US Open and a poor showing in the Fed Cup final...) and just after she won the YEC, defeating Clijsters, Dementieva, Sharapova and Pierce, so, never give up!!

justine schnyder
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Didnt realize her slump was that bad... so it's been more than a year now since she beat a top 10? :shrug: Maybe she can draw Marion at some tournament to break that streak :lol:

Agree :sad: :sad: :sad:

debby
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Totally agree;)

I remember posting in late 2005 that Amélie has to stop playing like the grandmother of Conchita Martinez and go to the net, she has always been a great athlete, it's not normal that she has to run against girls that don't have the half of her fitness. By the time she was having these horrible losses in indoor (61 61 against Schiavone in Moscow, 62 60 against Srebotnik in Zurich coming after a sad US Open and a poor showing in the Fed Cup final...) and just after she won the YEC, defeating Clijsters, Dementieva, Sharapova and Pierce, so, never give up!!

Amelie remained a top 5 ... her ranking saved her.
A good ranking is very important because you don't draw #1 , # 2 , ... quite soon in the tournament...
She falls in the rankings, so she can draw Sharapova in the third round :help: but NOT !!! she lost before !
She was 21, now 29...

Anyway, she can do better at Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami... hope. :sad:

griffin
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM

Am I the only person who finds it highly unlikely that she'd end her career in the US?

I mean, whatever else you think about whether and when she'll hang it up, the idea of her not saying goodbye closer to home just doesn't jive.

Linnie
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Bullocks! :rolleyes:
In the same L'Equipe newspaper today Amélie said she's not ready to hang it up yet - she's still motivated. And I agree with griff - why would she "retire" after playing in the U.S.? :confused:

plantman
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Am I the only person who finds it highly unlikely that she'd end her career in the US?

I mean, whatever else you think about whether and when she'll hang it up, the idea of her not saying goodbye closer to home just doesn't jive.

I agree!

*Jean*
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
On Yahoo "Mauresmo decided to take a break and considers retiring"... :confused:

mariahdg
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Blame such website editor
bullshit

Linnie
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
On Yahoo "Mauresmo decided to take a break and considers retiring"... :confused:
Link?

dylan24
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
retire momo
its the right thing to do
you are finished

hablo
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM

Bullocks! :rolleyes:
In the same L'Equipe newspaper today Amélie said she's not ready to hang it up yet - she's still motivated. And I agree with griff - why would she "retire" after playing in the U.S.? :confused:

I don't read anything about what Frenchie said earlier.
He just wants Momo to join Myskina. :ras:
But yes, Momo is flying today for Dubai.
Then she will go to IW and Miami without Loïc. Nothing said about RG and later. :shrug:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/286/doha2202082ew5.jpg

frenchie
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
^^
I you read what I wrote, you'd see that I think it's a sad situation for her (even if I don't like her)

I will tell you the story in french as it will be easierf for me to give the details...

A la TV ce matin, le redac chef de l'Equipe était invité et a dit qu'Amélie avait confié qu'elle pensait mettre un terme à sa carrière cette année. Il a ajouté qu'elle irait bien à IW et Miami mais qu'il ne serait pas du tout étonné si on ne la revoyait plus jamais à RG
That's the story

Au fait tu savais que je revennais tout juste d'un séjour de 4 mois au Québec?
Une bien jolie région...Tabernak

S_Fahad
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hang in there Amelie.. All top players go through these phases, you'll bounce back.

VishaalMaria
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Come on Amelie! It should all come together somewhere down the line. You're never a loser until you quit trying.

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM

hahahahahahahahaha:worship:

AK-DH Fan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
I don't think her latest results are reason for retirement, She should know that all players go through slumps.