PDA

View Full Version : those young kids are simply not scared of Venus or Serena

aguy9797
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
The Williams used to win matches before they even started largely due to the intimidation factor, they still do to some axtend, but the new generation came along and the new kids do not give s**t, they just hit hard, and play smarter, they move slow Serena around, they force hard hitting Venus to overhit, so...here you have Dominka pulling a nice surprise

bwahahahahaha
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
:o

Mina Vagante
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
When either are healthy and hungry (and theres no damn wind) , any-one would be terrified of their chances of beating them. Fact.

Destiny
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM
They just so pleased to play them
they get hyped up and fight hard hard to win
and sometimes they win
it's the hunger
it's great to see
but i don't want to see results like this in grand slams!!!!:mad::mad::mad::o:o:fiery::fiery:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:20 PM
:hearts:

Jakeev
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
When either are healthy and hungry (and theres no damn wind) , any-one would be terrified of their chances of beating them. Fact.

I almost don't agree with that anymore. But it's not just the Williams sisters; players seem to be gunning for everybody in the top five if they can and not just Venus and Serena.

Women's tennis is seeing more confident players on the rise.

frontier
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Its recognition they are after, beat a Williams you will make news worldwide and endorsements will pour in,they know what happened to pova and want that money too.She will lose in the next round revisit this thread.

AcesHigh
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
OMG!!! YOu ArE soOOoO RiGhT!%!#$%!

:rolleyes: You are 5 years late

espresso
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
They are more interested in beating Justine, Maria, Jelena and Ana now

Slutati
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
I don't know i get scared watching them play on TV:scared:

Thanx4nothin
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
No, that is all lol.

debopero
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Name one teenager that has beaten Serena since Mara. One.

serenus_2k8
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM
OMG... she lost because the wind restricted her game, nothing more, nothing less. When you're playing vs the fastest serve on tour you have every right to be afraid!

Slutiana
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
Umm, puh-lease. Why SHOULD anyone be scared of them?

WAKE UP! since 04, there hasn't been ONE invincible player in the game. Not henin - look at antwerp.. 2 qualifiers were able to summon their best games and had henin played only a little worse, she would have lost. Look at Maria, that girl was able to summon her best game yesterday again, the same could have happened. The same happened today. Only Venus was playing that bad and so lost.

GET OVER IT!

V.Melb
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Many girls can deal with Venus and Serena, Cibulkova played very well indeed.

(extent ..... not axtend)

Natash.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
OMG... she lost because the wind restricted her game, nothing more, nothing less. When you're playing vs the fastest serve on tour you have every right to be afraid!

She's been playing for years now. Surely she would have adjusted her game just a bit? :shrug:

The wind was there for both players. Not just Venus.

DA FOREHAND
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Was Aggie scurred of Maria, when she was moving around before returning her serve, and ultimately upset her?

Was Bartoli Afraid of Justine, a little over a week after getting waxed on grass, and coming out against her in the Wimbledon semi?

This loss by Venus is no diff., but because it's a Williams sister, fans sit up and take notice. That speaks volumes.

frontier
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
I understand if they are scared of Venus'resume because in the tennis world she is accomplished and Cibulkova can only dream of such a resume,after this match she will lose to Aga.Venus has won everthing that needs to be won and a loss in the windy desert wont give her sleepless nights.:p

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Weird Lol

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
They will start coming back again and not having these kind of results i hope

venus_rulez
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
What does fear have to do with anything? I hate when people use that as a reason why Venus and Serena aren't dominating anymore as if the only reason they were is because people were afraid of them. So then how did they ever get to the top? I'm sure in 1997 when Venus was 66 in the world she didn't make the finals of the US Open because of the "fear factor" How were they both top 10 players in 1999 before each of them won a slam. Stupid post, stupid thread BLAH!lol

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
No, that is all lol.

lol lol :lol:
:wavey: i haven't seen you in years!!!!! how are you :)

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
I think the thread starter has a point, a couple of years ago, players went on to the court thinking they had lost when they went onto the court especially the older ones like Farina Elia, Smashnova, Likhovtseva, Dechy etc but the new generation have a different mentality to them and go out onto the court with belief.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
I think WTA has more depth now. TOP players are not as dominant as before, where everytime they play a tournament, its gonna 1 and 2 in the finals.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
She's been playing for years now. Surely she would have adjusted her game just a bit? :shrug:

why do people use the argument that the wind is there for both people? :confused: sure it's blowing but it affects certain types of playing styles more than the other...a counterpunching game style isn't hit hard by windy conditions...an attacking style of play is hit the worst because the timing is then completely off...some players are not the most powerful but play attacking tennis so its not only "ball bashers"...anyone who plays attacking style tennis and depends on precise timing where the slightest mistake can affect the play...davenport, williams, masha, jh (when in attack mode), ana...a player like jj, or jh when in backboard mode, will just be tracking down everything that is thrown at them and waiting for the error so the wind won't really affect that sort of play...:shrug: jmo

aguy9797
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
What does fear have to do with anything? I hate when people use that as a reason why Venus and Serena aren't dominating anymore as if the only reason they were is because people were afraid of them. So then how did they ever get to the top? I'm sure in 1997 when Venus was 66 in the world she didn't make the finals of the US Open because of the "fear factor" How were they both top 10 players in 1999 before each of them won a slam. Stupid post, stupid thread BLAH!lol

I wouldn't compared the intimidation abilities of tiny Henin whose only weapon is her game, with muscular Serena flexing her biceps and making loud noises like an angry bull...it gets into your head, at least it used to get into heads of some players

Slutiana
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Shut. The. Fuck. Up

aguy9797
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM
I understand if they are scared of Venus'resume because in the tennis world she is accomplished and Cibulkova can only dream of such a resume,after this match she will lose to Aga.Venus has won everthing that needs to be won and a loss in the windy desert wont give her sleepless nights.:p

Venus is 28, and the point is if she retires now, she retires as a champion, unless you want her to turn into Jill Craybas, playing ITFs at 34 hoping she can beat someobody.

SV_Fan
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
No honey. Nobodies scared an uninspired Venus. But once a sister gets on the roll it's hard to beat them and they take intimidation to a new factor. Just look at Venus people thought she would get out to Morgigami but once she got to the 2nd week of a slam she was unbeatable.

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM

Not only did the wind affect Venus it strengthen some aspects of Dominika's game...
Espiecally serve!

Jelena's game also is ideal for wind...well not ideal .. just not as affected as the rest of top 10

I think the OP is right! ... they aren't scared!..:help:

THE WS need results to back it up!

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM

I have to agree with this post. When Venus and Serena won it wasn't because players were scared of them it was because they were the better players. And substantially better at that. And likewise when they lose it is because their opponents played better.

For me a more simple analysis is that tennis players generally peak between the ages of 20 and 25. Up to around the age of 21 it is expected that they will improve. From the age of 25 on generally they start to decline. Often that decline can be very gradual and I certainly don't mean to suggest players over the age of 25 can't win matches and even tournaments but from that age on it does get harder. By 27 it is a lot harder. I would say every tournament won by a player of 27 or over is twice as great and impressive an achievement as it is when a player wins a tournament at say 22.

Venus still carries herself with great dignity and fights hard. But for her and many other players of her age, the challege of fending off a younger generation inevitably is battle that can only get tougher until eventually it is lost. But that doesn't make Venus a loser. For in fighting this battle as hard as she can against the odds that is a fight that shows a player has heart and deep inside is a winner. Once Venus was the youngster. One day Dominika will be fending off younger players too. The cycle goes on and on.

Sharakim
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
I think it's a combination of self-belief and status. A lot of these young players are hungry for success and that's why they go after the established players. The girl who played Venus today had nothing to lose. She wasn't the favorite, therefore no pressure was afforded to her. On the other hand, Venus is an established player. If does not matter if the invincible aura is gone because her past accomplishments will always put her at a higher standard over the rest of the field. It's her status as one of this generations best players that makes her a big target and she'll be hunted till the day she retires. The same goes for Justine, Maria and all the other top players.

Harvs
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
omg what is wrong with you all... just cause it was windy you cant say venus lost... cibulkova played well... my god, are people on here incapable of giving a little credit where its due?

anways, i agree. back in the '03 '04 days, serena and venus would step onto court and already win... now its not like that so they have to work much harder mentally to get the edge.

Lindsayfan32
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
What do you mean young kids. No one is scared of them any more. Their domination is over. You don't just need the wind to beat them either.

dya74
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM
poor old aunt Venus ( Serena)!

AcesHigh
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Oh god... this board is ridiculous. This isn't Venus's first freak loss.

Some people are just :weirdo: Can someone dig up the countless Venus should retire threads? What about the positive... she's actually playing a touranment before Miami and she made the QF at AO for the first time since 2003. So the thread starter needs to STFU

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM
Venus is in her best moment in years . Petitions of retirement are ridiculous

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Oh god... this board is ridiculous. This isn't Venus's first freak loss.

Some people are just :weirdo: Can someone dig up the countless Venus should retire threads? What about the positive... she's actually playing a touranment before Miami and she made the QF at AO for the first time since 2003. So the thread starter needs to STFU

Absolutely. I certainly don't see any reason why Venus should retire. I have said, and you have heard me say many times, Venus is past her best. But that sure as hell is no reason to give up. Jimmy Connors was way way past his best when somehow he found the inspiration to make the semi finals of the US Open at the age of 39. To me that demostrated what a great fighter and a what big heart Connors had far more that any of of his Grand Slam wins.

Another example would be Kuerten. In many ways Kuerten was finished as player 5 years ago. But he kept trying to comeback. That stubborness and determination are what made him a champion and even if he didn't win anything his last few years his will to keep trying showed what a class act he was.

Venus's best days are past her. That is almost certain. But I suspect she does still have some surprises up her sleeve. A few acts of defiance against the aging process and those who say she is through. I can picture her in two or three or four years, a player ranked out of the top 50 who virtually everyone has given up on as too old, somehow shocking the world by getting to a Slam semi or winning a Tier I. That would be something very special. It would be fun to see.

Venus probably doesn't have a lot of really big moments left. But I suspect those that still await her will be all the more special because of their rariety and surprise value.

Great champions don't give up, even when the odds are stacked against them. Venus is a class act and she won't give up the game that easily. I think she will stick around for several more years and the game will be richer for that too.

twight6
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
How can you not be afraid of this:

http://www.fresnobeehive.com/archives/upload/2007/06/0611_serena_williams_booty_mavrix.jpg

:confused:

Denise4925
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Guess they are also not afraid of Ana, Sveta or Amelie either :shrug: What a stupid thread.

frontier
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
After this she will go on and win a slam this year!what about Cibulkova....she will be another Sesil.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM
The Williams used to win matches before they even started largely due to the intimidation factor, they still do to some axtend, but the new generation came along and the new kids do not give s**t,...

:rolleyes: and this is news because..., why?

Had you made this statement three or four years ago, it would have been insightful. Now, it's just stating the obvious and piling on. :rolleyes:

This is no surprise. The youngsters go after Vee the same way they used to go after Steffi late in her career- with the same belief and nothing to lose. It's the way it works. Couple that with Vee- who has ALWAYS been susceptible to losing to players she shouldn't (ALWAYS)- and you have a result that's not that surprising.

Final analysis: A dull-witted statement of the obvious.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Venus and Serena are getting older. Therefore, they can't move as fast, hit as hard, and think

Denise4925
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Venus and Serena are getting older. Therefore, they can't move as fast, hit as hard, and think

:spit: :haha: Completely *dead*

:smash: Dima, are you that guy in your avatar or do you just really relate to him?

CR3WLFC
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:57 PM

her opp was playing in the wind aswell!

Denise4925
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
her opp was playing in the wind aswell!

I think what the poster meant was that heavy wind conditions are hazardous to players with games like Venus and Maria. They hit big and close to the lines and any fraction of an inch off, produces more errors (see Maria's horrendous love/love loss to Lindsay in the windy conditions that they played in. Maria couldn't adjust her game). No credit taken away from the opponent in this situation, but she clearly benefitted from Vee's errors and did what she had to do to keep the ball in the play in the court and wait for the errors. :shrug: It is what it is.

jacobruiz
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
I love when people and their favorite players give the excuse that the "conditions were tough".Deal with it - both players have to. Shut the f--k up.

As RenaSlam says....:lol:

jacobruiz
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:10 PM
I think what the poster meant was that heavy wind conditions are hazardous to players with games like Venus and Maria. They hit big and close to the lines and any fraction of an inch off, produces more errors (see Maria's horrendous love/love loss to Lindsay in the windy conditions that they played in. Maria couldn't adjust her game).

Actually, Maria had more poblems than the wind and a great opponent in that match, which was years ago. ;)
Nowadays, Masha plays pretty well in the wind. :shrug:

Denise4925
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM
Actually, Maria had more poblems than the wind and a great opponent in that match, which was years ago. ;)

Please don't take it as a slam against Maria. I just used that as an example. By the same token, please don't discount that fact that the wind still plays a part in certain types of players' games. Maria is not perfect and with her game, I'm sure there are some days she is off (in 2007 for example) and the weather conditions play a part in her not being able to adjust her game.

I acknowledge the fact that Maria played a great opponent in Lindsay and not taking any credit from Lindsay's play. Had Venus played someone as great as Lindsay, the scoreline today could have very well been love/love too. :shrug:

brodle1
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Wind or no wind - in Venus'es hayday this match would have been won by Venus - or at least been damn close.

I think the thread starter has a point, a couple of years ago, players went on to the court thinking they had lost when they went onto the court especially the older ones like Farina Elia, Smashnova, Likhovtseva, Dechy etc but the new generation have a different mentality to them and go out onto the court with belief.

I completely agree. 4 or 5 years ago I think that players saw a Williams in the draw (esp Serena) and figured their tourney ended there (much like when a player saw Graf's name in the draw or Hingis ala 1997). A player stepped onto the court thinking about how to win GAMES against them, not matches. Players don't see it that way anymore. The Williams have become decidely beatable - by younger up-and-comers and by the "old" guard. And by beatable I don't mean that they lose everytime - they don't - but that there is a decent chance to beat them.

That is what happens to every player whether it is due to injuries or age. I'm not saying they can't still win - they can - it's just that the field of possible winners is much larger than it used to be. I don't think however, that the competition has gotten better, I just think that V&S don't consistently play the type of tennis that wins tournaments day in and day out anymore, for whatever reason...and sadly, I don't think that they will again. While Serena and/or Venus may win some big ones, I'd be pretty surprised to see either one of them dominate the field again.

le bon vivant
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Yes chile, the game done passed them by.

aguy9797
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
A big part of their succes was due to a clear message they sent to other players 'we are untouchable' Serena acting like alpha male on court, her interviews, Papa Williams' statements about the sisters being invincible, etc...it got into many players heads, even Justine actually admitted that she did not belive she can beat Serena, it was a mental game, the sisters were playing, and winning, but not anymore it seems... it won't be the same when they are gone.

aguy9797
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:24 PM
and as far as the 'wind excuse' is concerned, give me a break, I would expect a champion with many titles and 14 years on the tour to adjust slightly better than a rookie.

jacobruiz
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
Maria is not perfect and with her game, I'm sure there are some days she is off (in 2007 for example) and the weather conditions play a part in her not being able to adjust her game.

Yes, Maria has her off days was definately "off" in most of 2007. But 10 months of tendonitis in her serving shoulder was much more of a problem in 2007 than the weather. Maria is healthy so far this year (knock on wood) and it is going to take more than the wind to stop her now.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:50 AM
Yes, Maria has her off days was definately "off" in most of 2007. But 10 months of tendonitis in her serving shoulder was much more of a problem in 2007 than the weather. Maria is healthy so far this year (knock on wood) and it is going to take more than the wind to stop her now.

no no the 2007 she was referring to was not the season in itself but the Miami match...which was freaking horrendous from all accounts :o....don't think denise meant the whole season (in reference to wind affecting the games of maria and venus more due to their style of play):)

jacobruiz
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:58 AM
no no the 2007 she was referring to was not the season in itself but the Miami match...which was freaking horrendous from all accounts :o....don't think denise meant the whole season (in reference to wind affecting the games of maria and venus more due to their style of play):)

Well, maybe. But in my opinion Maria plays pretty well in the wind now and DOES adjust her game to it. (Denise had said that she didn't).

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
imo she has done a better job since that double bagel from lindsay...she adjusts better than venus imo...however i think if the opponent adjusts better than her (but is not necessarily a better player) she'll lose...someone like a backboard...

jacobruiz
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
however i think if the opponent adjusts better than her (but is not necessarily a better player) she'll lose...someone like a backboard...
Well, that's your opinion. :cool:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
^share yours lol...although i think i know what it is :lol: i think both venus and maria would lose in these conditions to someone like jh (in her defensive mode), kim (in her defensive mode), jj (in her normal mode :o )

Tennisstar86
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:20 AM

you did see maria play yesterday right?!?!?!:confused:

jacobruiz
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:23 AM

Well, I said "pretty well", I didn't say "perfectly". :shrug:
And she got it together well enough to win 6-1 in the third.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:24 AM

you're interrupting the flow!!! we were having a nice discussion :sad:

Dave.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
I think what the poster meant was that heavy wind conditions are hazardous to players with games like Venus and Maria. They hit big and close to the lines and any fraction of an inch off, produces more errors (see Maria's horrendous love/love loss to Lindsay in the windy conditions that they played in. Maria couldn't adjust her game). No credit taken away from the opponent in this situation, but she clearly benefitted from Vee's errors and did what she had to do to keep the ball in the play in the court and wait for the errors. :shrug: It is what it is.

I think in the windy conditions, it's a matter of being able to control your own errors, like Cibulkova did today. She could have easily hit the same as Venus but managed to control it. Maria and Lindsay, who also both go for the lines, I don't think would have lost to Cibulkova. IMO, they can reel their games in better. Venus used to always be able to play her game because nobody could get the balls back, but I think now she needs to work on holding back.

Anyway, on topic: The fear factor only lasted while Venus and Serena were at their best. Venus had a run from 2000-2003, and Serena in 2002-2003. Since then, they have been good players but haven't had that invincible aura. Henin last year had that but now tennis is more open with Sharapova proving she can be invincible at times (Australian Open). Venus and Serena can be top players but I don't think they will get back that aura. Nobody is afraid of them, but it is still a big achievement for most players to beat a Williams sister.

Denise4925
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Well, maybe. But in my opinion Maria plays pretty well in the wind now and DOES adjust her game to it. (Denise had said that she didn't).

Obviously you misread or misconstrued what I said. I said:

I think what the poster meant was that heavy wind conditions are hazardous to players with games like Venus and Maria. They hit big and close to the lines and any fraction of an inch off, produces more errors (see Maria's horrendous love/love loss to Lindsay in the windy conditions that they played in. Maria couldn't adjust her game).

I used the match with Maria and Lindsay as an example of windy conditions effecting her game and not being able to adjust ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY. I never said she couldn't at any time. Hence Venus on this particular day could not adjust her game to the windy conditions, even though she played very well in it the day before. Just some days, players with games like Venus and Maria have a harder time adjusting their games to the windy conditions. :shrug: Please stop putting words in my mouth. If you don't understand what I'm saying or what I mean, just ask.

-VSR-
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
They shouldn't need to win on fear, they should be winning with their games.

Denise4925
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think in the windy conditions, it's a matter of being able to control your own errors, like Cibulkova did today. She could have easily hit the same as Venus but managed to control it. Maria and Lindsay, who also both go for the lines, I don't think would have lost to Cibulkova. IMO, they can reel their games in better. Venus used to always be able to play her game because nobody could get the balls back, but I think now she needs to work on holding back.

You basically just repeated what I said, with the following exception. Yes, Cibulkova could have hit the same as Venus, I guess, but the impression I got was that that is not her game. That she doesn't play an agressive game. She's a defensive player, not an offensive player which always gives Venus trouble. However, you can't speculate about Maria and Lindsay on whether they would have lost under those conditions and say they wouldn't have lost.

jacobruiz
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Obviously you misread or misconstrued what I said. I said:
I used the match with Maria and Lindsay as an example of windy conditions effecting her game and not being able to adjust ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY. I never said she couldn't at any time. Hence Venus on this particular day could not adjust her game to the windy conditions, even though she played very well in it the day before. Just some days, players with games like Venus and Maria have a harder time adjusting their games to the windy conditions. :shrug: Please stop putting words in my mouth. If you don't understand what I'm saying or what I mean, just ask.
Well, here is what you actually posted, Denise:
Maria is not perfect and with her game, I'm sure there are some days she is off (in 2007 for example) and the weather conditions play a part in her not being able to adjust her game.
Guess what? The match between Lindsay and Maria that you say you were referring to was 3 years ago, not 2007. So you were actually talking about 2007. THAT is what I was referring to. If you need more help, let me know.:wavey:
Maria adjusted her game just fine today, as usual.:lol:

frontier
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Just like I predicted they lose the next match,so much for over 220 replies.She lost to Aga!

Denise4925
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Well, here is what you actually posted, Denise:

Guess what? The match between Lindsay and Maria that you say you were referring to was 3 years ago, not 2007. So you were actually talking about 2007. THAT is what I was referring to. If you need more help, let me know.:wavey:
Maria adjusted her game just fine today, as usual.:lol:

:confused: What are you talking about? The weather conditions did play a part in her horrendous loss to Lindsay that day and I never said it happened in 2007. I said she had some off days, for example particularly in 2007 and in 2007 the weather conditions in some matches did play a part in her losses.

OMG :rolleyes: Why do you insist on making more out of this then was intended. That day was used as an example. Good lord :rolleyes: Why are you the only one having a hard time with this?

SV_Fan
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
This is getting Interesting

Craigy
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mary Carillo is on WTAworld? :hearts:

Volcana
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The Williams used to win matches before they even started largely due to the intimidation factor, they still do to some axtend, but the new generation came along and the new kids do not give s**t, they just hit hard, and play smarter, they move slow Serena around, they force hard hitting Venus to overhit, so...here you have Dominka pulling a nice surpriseI agree. Davenport, Hingis, Capriatii, Sanchez-Vicario, Pierce, ect were terrified of Venus and Serena. That's why that group won zero slams, while the youngsters have won so many.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I agree. Davenport, Hingis, Capriatii, Sanchez-Vicario, Pierce, ect were terrified of Venus and Serena. That's why that group won zero slams, while the youngsters have won so many.

Hingis and Davenport terrified of Venus? Capriati terrified of Serena? :o

cypher_88
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hingis and Davenport terrified of Venus? Capriati terrified of Serena? :o

i suspect the poster was being sarcastic;)

debopero
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
The Williams used to win matches before they even started largely due to the intimidation factor, they still do to some axtend, but the new generation came along and the new kids do not give s**t, they just hit hard, and play smarter, they move slow Serena around, they force hard hitting Venus to overhit, so...here you have Dominka pulling a nice surprise

They were never scared of them to begin with. The whole intimidation factor thing is just something that people who don't like the Williams sisters say to try and discredit their dominance. And to say largely due to their intimadation factor is a gross exaggeration. Why can't it just be that they were better; not because they were better athletes or had an intimidation factor? And one loss doesn't mean anything- and if you going to say that its been a series of losses over the last 5 years or whatever, then what's the point of this thread? Its just old news. Watch slow Serena and impatient Venus whoop everyone of the young girls' asses on their roads to GS victories in '08. :p

Peterk07
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I agree. Davenport, Hingis, Capriatii, Sanchez-Vicario, Pierce, ect were terrified of Venus and Serena. That's why that group won zero slams, while the youngsters have won so many.

Well, isn't it a little too early to be sarcastic? These youngsters are just about starting their career... ;)

supergrunt
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:39 PM
When's the last time Serena lost to a teenager outside the top ten?

supergrunt
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM
All the young girls can do is hit hard- all of them. Ana Ivanovic can slice. That's why they won't achieve the success of Venus or Serena, although the might have a shot a beating them at some tier 3 on a windy day. :shrug:

miffedmax
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:45 AM
And another thing. These young punks won't stay out of my yard.

hdfb
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:47 AM

That is utter crap. For starters, Capriati won her only three slams when Venus was near her peak, Serena not too far behind. Sanchez-Vicario and Pierce don't even apply because they were only pretty much around during the 90's and at latest very early 00's. ASV was just past her peak and wasn't in slam-winning form, and Pierce at least won '00 Roland Garros. Even if you took the WS out of the picture, ASV and Pierce would still have almost the same career.

On Davenport and Hingis. PUH-LEEZ. Neither were scared. Doesn't Hingis have a winning record over Venus, only by a little, or at the very least she is one match behind. Sure the Davenport/Hingis vs. Williams/Williams W/L ratio is in the WS favour, but that does not mean at all they were scared. If you were scared, there's no way you could beat the WS at that time. WS were just too good when they beat them, and there were many many close matches, AO QF ('01) between Serena and Hingis, and the modern classic Wimbledon final in '05.

Volcana
Feb 26th, 2008, 02:54 AM
That is utter crap. For starters, Capriati won her only three slams when Venus was near her peak, Serena not too far behind. Sanchez-Vicario and Pierce don't even apply because they were only pretty much around during the 90's and at latest very early 00's. ASV was just past her peak and wasn't in slam-winning form, and Pierce at least won '00 Roland Garros. Even if you took the WS out of the picture, ASV and Pierce would still have almost the same career.
On Davenport and Hingis. PUH-LEEZ. Neither were scared. Doesn't Hingis have a winning record over Venus, only by a little, or at the very least she is one match behind. Sure the Davenport/Hingis vs. Williams/Williams W/L ratio is in the WS favour, but that does not mean at all they were scared. If you were scared, there's no way you could beat the WS at that time. WS were just too good when they beat them, and there were many many close matches, AO QF ('01) between Serena and Hingis, and the modern classic Wimbledon final in '05.To anyone with an IQ over 30, 'won zero slams' was sufficient clue that I was engaging in sarcasm. It was also pointed out explicitly four post before yours. Just a note.

OTOH, my S.O. recently pointed out that I've been a real asshole recently, which may have cause me to tone down the nastiness too far. Next time, I'll try to be obvious, though I'm not sure that would help in your case. In any event, my bad. Sorry.

Alex72
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Pretty much an overstatement though the power game has lost a lot of shock value the last few years. Yea the newcomers are pretty fearless but no one should want to face Venus on grass. Also no one wants to look at Serena`s serves when it`s on. The sisters do still pose a real threat on the tour.

OsloErik
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:08 AM
this is slightly off topic, but is Dominika Cibulkova really just 5'3''? That's what it lists her at on wtatour.com but I was shocked someone that short could crack the top 50 today!

serenafan08
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:15 AM
:rolleyes: The "intimidation factor" wore off years ago...when Serena and Venus missed the end of 2003 with their injuries, the tour got stronger faster and fitter, so there wasn't anything for them to be afraid of. Instead of being in awe, the rest of the tour woke up and got in the weight room, hence the game is where it is today. Serena and Venus can't expect to win by just showing up anymore...they have to go out and play tennis because these girls are eager to win and become great champions like the two of them. Before her movement hindered her, Serena did a great job of raising her game at the Aussie Open in rounds 3 and 4 against good youngsters. That's how she's going to have to play from now on, and both she and Venus have shown that they can raise their games to that level.

ikemstar
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:40 AM

And, genius?? A two dimensional ball slugger got lucky in favourable conditions (and I actually like Domi, but will you call her the most versatile player?). Why should "kids" be afraid? Because they're Black?, lol. Why do ******s always single out the Williams Sisters for this kind of bullshit thread? Nobody fears anybody on the tour anymore. And who *isn't* susceptible to a freak result? Put your hard earned money on it happening again next time around, if you are so confident.

Who in their right minds thinks the teenage baseline bunnies of today "play smarter" than Clijsters/ Capriati/ Momo etc? Gimme a break, take your medication, lol.

Slumpsova
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:22 AM
i think i'm rather scare of Henin than Serena these days :o

OsloErik
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:17 AM
But seriously, in Dominika Cibulkova really that short???

harloo
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
those young kids are simply not scared of Venus or Serena

I thought Venus and Serena weren't the standard anymore? I mean the majority of posters on this board writes them off every tournament. Of course they're not winning like they did in the past but it's ironic how these threads always pop up after a loss. If they aren't the standard anymore then why bother?:lol:

And I have to laugh at the depth argument. Serena went through her AO 05 and 07 AO draw playing far below average. If the depth on the women's side was so great she would of been sent home. The fact remains that only two top WTA players are performing well now. Maria is playing great and Justine isn't playing that well but still winning. Venus and Serena aren't playing well, that's all.

Get back to me with the depth argument when you have at least 6 top female players who can contend for a slam. Or try when the women play a consistent number of highly competitive matches during a slam.