PDA

View Full Version : Doha R3 Cibulkova def Williams 6-3 6-3

Mina Vagante
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Good fightback from 1-5 40-40 from Venus

Condiiotns are terrible for power hitters.

aguy9797
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Venus beat by a teen who was 3 y.o when Venus turned pro... no offence, Venus is a great champion but it seems the time has come, hard to see those 'champions of the past' being kicked around by hungry teens half her age!!

Brandon85
gosh it just ended, why don't you all get a hobby!

spiritedenergy
:tape:

TheBoiledEgg
Domi just played great :banana: :yeah:

wateva
:o

Mikey.
HOLY CRAP!!!! :sobbing::sobbing::sobbing: Well... Hopefully it'll be Maria and JJ in the final now :banana:

BigBabeTENNIS
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
awfull venus any one can beat you know you must retire

Wayn77
Cibulkova :hearts: :D

well played.

Slutati
:woohoo:you go girl!

Elwin.
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Domi :banana: :hearts:

Venus :hug:

TomTennis

you are an embarresment, please dont tell me you are a Williams fan because you give us a very very bad name.

hkyen
Oh shocking:eek:

Uranium

:o, she doesn't need fans like you
nice fight Vee, wish you could have won:(

Karsten Braasch
hahaha!

LoL!

Venus Suckz!

Craigy

:haha:

I wish I could have watched the match.

.:sk:.
:woohoo:

Domi played simply clever :worship::worship::worship:

Good luck in the quarters sweety :hug:

.Andrew.
Congrats, Dominika! :eek: :yeah:

Venus :tape: :help:
I'm at a loss for words. :lol:
Play better at Memphis. :p

SloKid
Dominika played really smart, great tactics, making best use of the horrible windy conditions. Very well done. :D

Halfway through the second set Dominika had like 4 UEs, while Venus had over 30. :o

Drimal
Congrats Dominika! :hatoff:

That was so much fun to watch! :drool:

BigBabeTENNIS
yea venus is giving herself a bad game losing to these PLAYERS

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
:sobbing::sobbing::sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:

MisterMan
gosh it just ended, why don't you all get a hobby!

ummm, for a lot of us, this IS our hobby. What do you do, collect stamps ?:confused:

Mina Vagante

I wish I could have watched the match.

revising?

meb
Domi :eek: :kiss:

IanRadi
Venus beat by a teen who was 3 y.o when Venus turned pro... no offence, Venus is a great champion but it seems the time has come, hard to see those 'champions of the past' being kicked around by hungry teens half her age!!

The time has come? May I tell you that Cibulkova is great playing on hardcourts? That Venus won't win ALL her matches? Dominika is improving a lot her shots and it's obvious Venus will loose sometimes :rolleyes:

Venus :armed:

Destiny
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Good match by Domi
Venus i don't blame u
at least u had a mini comeback
next time

BuTtErFrEnA

is this another death prediction paneru :hearts:

:weirdo:

Dexter
Amazing composure by Dominika... just 4 UEs in the whole match and how about these passing shots/lobs? :worship: Well done! She doesn't have many weapons, but she makes the most of what she has. Good on her!
Too bad for Venus... definitely not conditions for her. Still I thought she played way better than current (soon not to be) #2 in the world today.

Mina Vagante
In all fairness Cibulkova did use the horrible conditions to her advantage, getting a lot of balls back

Dodoboy.
congrats!...
Domi played like a champion..
hopefully she will be able to keep it up because the final is definitely in her reach!

Mikey.
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
ummm, for a lot of us, this IS our hobby. What do you do, collect stamps ?:confused:

:spit::haha:

Sylwiiia
Well Venus once again played like a crap :( I wonder when she start to play some really tennis. What a shame.

Great play from Dominka, it looks that this days it is very easy to beat Venus.

Poova
Venus :eek: :sad: :(

Congrats Domi! :yeah:

LudwigDvorak
Congratulations. Win a slam this year, Venus. Thx.

I remember first seeing Cibulkova on livescoring in Auckland '07, and I couldn't believe she took a set off of Daniela. "We're never even going to hear about her again. :tape:" Well. :tape: to that.

sammy01
when i said yesterday venus didn't play as well as everybody said she did, knapp just played shit, i got jumped on. well there you have it venus plays about the same today prehaps a bit worse, except domi gave no UE's and dfs like knapp and kept the ball deep and it was enough. obviously the conditions were tough but hey there the same for both of them. domi's passing shots were very good today though like i said yesterday venus's aproaches were dodgy.

well done domi!

V-MAC
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM
Dominika played very well. She is exactly the type of opponent that Vee hates - feeds off power, plays like a wall and commits virtually no errors. She really deserves this win.

Vee :hug: I think we can file this loss under the same type as that Tati match from Amelia Island last year. Same kind of scoreline and the better player won on the day.

Infiniti2001
Oh well, better luck next time Vee :p

espresso
A star is born :hearts:

Philip
wow, two great wins for domi this week. :)

Dodoboy.
Domi was also lucky that Venus couldn't attack that serve of hers with the wind and all!

Oh well...good luck in doubles!

At least Caroline is through :bounce:

serenus_2k8
Ah well its no problem, well tried Vee - you cant help the wind! Rest well!

Modiac.
UE Comparison: Cibulkova 4 V.Williams 40

Dominika :yeah:

Iceland
Dominika would have never won this match in other conditions, but she played so smartly considering how tough it is to play in the wind.
She deserved to win :yeah:. There are only new faces in the top half draw now :banana:!

davidmario
horrible performance by venus, good performance by domi.
I think it has to do with the condtitions. venus was serving at 150kmh or so:yawn::help:

Mina Vagante
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Cibulkova's stats

1st Serve % - 81%

Aces- 0

DF- 1

Winners- 16:eek:

UE- 4:eek::eek:

frenchie
Venus has always struggled against that kind of opponent with a clever game
Just check her record against Golovin, Jankovic, Myskina and now Cibulkova!

That said, Dominika played out of her mind (only 2 errors at the beginning of the second set

Andrew Laeddis
im a venus fan but im not delusional. venus that was just awful. her opponent moved well but apart from keeping the ball i court i saw nothing special. the conditions in this tournament are awful. venus,ivanovic,chakvetadze,kuznetsova are all gone and maria could be next. this is almost like rotterdam on the mens side where all eight seedes lost before the quarters. i feel sorry for the tournament director especially if maria loses (which she probably wont because she plays more controlled that venus and kuzzie)

HenryMag.
Dominika :worship:

itzhak
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Stop talking about Venus, it was amazing performance of Dominika, her best ever by far....

Michael!
Bad match Venus, obviously she had many problems with the wind. :mad:
And she doesn´t like players like Cibulkova, or Golovin....:fiery:
Dominika made only a few UE and she moved very well.
Today Vee´s net attacks wasn´t too weak for Cibulkova and she made too many UE! :sad:
In the end she played better...but it was too late.
I hope she doesn´t withdraw from Memphis....(but maybe she plays Dubai instead);)
I still vee-lieve in you! :worship:
As one of you guys says: The best is yet to come :worship:

Mina Vagante
V.Williams stats

1st Serve %- 69%

Aces- 0

DF-2

Winners-22

UE-40:rolleyes:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Wow Cibulkova. This must have been the match of her life, only 4UEs to 16 winners :eek: All the passing shots were :worship:
Plus she's such a nice a girl :)

Venus was pathetic today, she had 40UEs if I remember well :o Her FH was totally off :o

Dodoboy.
Dominika :worship:

At those stats!

Viktymise
:o Awful.

cs0803
Great performance from Domi! Congratulations!

TomTennis
UE Comparison: Cibulkova 4 V.Williams 40

Dominika :yeah:

There is your match right there.

V-MAC
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM
when i said yesterday venus didn't play as well as everybody said she did, knapp just played shit, i got jumped on. well there you have it venus plays about the same today prehaps a bit worse, except domi gave no UE's and dfs like knapp and kept the ball deep and it was enough. obviously the conditions were tough but hey there the same for both of them. domi's passing shots were very good today though like i said yesterday venus's aproaches were dodgy.

well done domi!

Agree there that Vee needs to contruct the point better before she surges to the net. Too often or not she just seems to come in on the wrong ball but it is still a learning process for her. It will pay off eventually ;)

LeChuck
I would have liked to see Venus fare better at this event, but congratulations to Domi for reaching her first QF at a tournament above Tier III status. It's nice to see her playing well and scoring some impressive victories.

suzie
That was a most stunning performance from Dominika! WOW! :eek: :yeah:

Grohl
Go Domi :D :rocker2:

Andrew Laeddis
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
The time has come? May I tell you that Cibulkova is great playing on hardcourts? That Venus won't win ALL her matches? Dominika is improving a lot her shots and it's obvious Venus will loose sometimes :rolleyes:

Venus :armed:

true but if dominika is playing the match of her life venus is still the better player and she would lost 6/3,6/1 had her opponent closed it out. thats embarrising even with the conditions. losing to radwanks in these conditions would be more understandable but i have no doubt venus will play better during the grass season because apart from hong kong her form has been poorly so far this year. the god thinks that now she will probably play both mephis and banglore but i really want venus to win a tier 1 again one of these days.

aguy9797
In all fairness Cibulkova did use the horrible conditions to her advantage, getting a lot of balls back

and? Venus couldn't get alots of balls back??? Wouldn't you expect a champion to adjust her game slightly??

Dodoboy.
these kind of results make me like Serena better!

Serena would not have lost like this after coming back! ...
sorry to mention Serena guys but it just came to me!

ce
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
:o
:spit:

Lunaris
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Brilliant, Dominika, brilliant. :clap2: :D
Biggest win of her career so far. :p

bellascarlett
Well I was waiting for the Rise of Venus as Uranium predicted. Guess that didn't happen.

Congrats to Cibulkova. Good job for closing out in straight sets. Really good scoreline there.

Dodoboy.
Domi was amazing today people...Venus needed to be smarter!

She stuck with those lame tactics at the net!...after the first passsing shots wouldn't one improvise?

plantman
Dominika played very well. She is exactly the type of opponent that Vee hates - feeds off power, plays like a wall and commits virtually no errors. She really deserves this win.

Vee :hug: I think we can file this loss under the same type as that Tati match from Amelia Island last year. Same kind of scoreline and the better player won on the day.

Best analysis yet....... Thanks!:)

Mina Vagante
these kind of results make me like Serena better!

Serena would not have lost like this after coming back! ...
sorry to mention Serena guys but it just came to me!

DO NOT mention that name! :lol:

BMP
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Oh no, Venus :sad: how pity... You'll be back, for sure!

Uranium
Well I was waiting for the Rise of Venus as Uranium predicted. Guess that didn't happen.

Congrats to Cibulkova. Good job for closing out in straight sets. Really good scoreline there.

you'll see it at the French:unsure:

-sugi-
Domi :woohoo:

Dodoboy.
True..at least Venus bothers to show up :o

Mina Vagante
and? Venus couldn't get alots of balls back??? Wouldn't you expect a champion to adjust her game slightly??

wouldnt you have expected all the power hitter to do that? :o

Andrew Laeddis
Agree there that Vee needs to contruct the point better before she surges to the net. Too often or not she just seems to come in on the wrong ball but it is still a learning process for her. It will pay off eventually ;)

i noticed that her approach shots were a little shaky in the henin match at last years uso.

Slutati
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
well, what can you say Dominika knocked the wig off Venus's head:yippee:

Dodoboy.
Domi is a stunner tho!...wow!

new-york
ugh.

congrats Dominika, well played, apparently.

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Hope they do well in doubles!..Vee-Line that is!!

I wish she played doubles first!...volleys would have been better...general net play would have been better!

aguy9797
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
wouldnt you have expected all the power hitter to do that? :o

I would expect a player with 14 years on tour, and a few major titles in her packet to be able to adjust, unless she has no game except hard hitting, and hard hitting, and more hard hitting

Destiny
Domi is hot
like her now
but will never forgive her

Jasmin
It's the day that seeds start dropping like flies. Look at men's tennis. Just one of those days.

jonny84
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
At least Venus still has the doubles to focus on. To be honest, I think she should have just concentrated on singles here.

daniela86
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yayyy! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: I'm soo proud :sobbing: :sobbing:! Amazing job Domi :worship: :worship:
Great way to take advantadge of the conditions and :yeah: for playing good on the importants points :D (Vee had only 17% of bps won (1/6) and Domi won 4/6 of her bps)
This is Domi's first win on a top 10 player :D :rocker2: Way to go girl :hug: Keep it up:rocker:
I'm almost as glad as when Maria won the AO :rocker:

Chris 84
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Domi played awesomely.

4 UEs compared to Venus's 40....and only 5 fewer winners than Venus. She was probably helped by the conditions, but her performance couldn't have been much better.

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Love Is A LOSING Game

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Wow...one look at Rotterdam's winners and i see what you are saying Jasmin!

V-MAC
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Domi was amazing today people...Venus needed to be smarter!

She stuck with those lame tactics at the net!...after the first passsing shots wouldn't one improvise?

:lol: Maybe we can blame Vee's hitting partner for that. He came on after the 1st set but according to the ES commentators, he basically just told Vee to keep playing the way she was.....:scratch:

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Damn you Witt!!!!!

Nicolás89
:wow:

V-MAC
Domi is hot
like her now
but will never forgive her

She does have an engaging personality. I hope she does well for herself on the tour :)

blumaroo
First time seeing Cibulkova play. Very feisty girl. Her game is a bit like Kirilenko though I'm sure Kirilenko has never played such a clean match against a top player. Venus barely had free points off her serve and we all know what happens when she has to play many long rallies. She never really adjusted, just kept hitting harder and harder and some pointless bluffing at the net. Basically the same impatient and erratic game she plays on clay. Radwanska will be a harder opponent for Cibulkova. I wonder who is going to dictate the points in that one.

Nemo_Kool
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
u kno wat a loss is a loss, cibulkova played inspired tennis with wat 5 unforced errors...the girl jus wasnt missing and got to EVERY ball!!!ha well in regard to questions over Venus' retirement is that ii kinda remember after her loss to Rezai and others during the clay season last year saying the end is near well she went on to win wimbledon and reacht the SF of the US open so haters can leave...immediately Vee will come back stronger and i still believe in my signature!

alibaby
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
First time seeing Cibulkova play. Very feisty girl. Her game is a bit like Kirilenko though I'm sure Kirilenko has never played such a clean match against a top player. Venus barely had free points off her serve and we all know what happens when she has to play many long rallies.correct,yes.she did it very professionally,a very competent girl!!i hope,she will go on from here...:bounce::)

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
..and Sharapova has just been handed the title

bavaria86
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
:eek:that is really unexpected

frenchie
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Venus has always struggled against that kind of opponent with a clever game
Just check her record against Golovin, Jankovic, Myskina and now Cibulkova!

That said, Dominika played out of her mind (only 2 errors at the beginning of the second set

To quote myself, here is my analysis of the match;)

diekedelver
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Domi is a stunner tho!...wow!

Time to change your sig, buddy :p ;)

But I agree with you on the stunner-part :devil:

Highlandman
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

F@cking conditions :sad: Venus just hates wind. And wasted few good chances.

Congrats Cibulkova, very well played.

Memphis is coming for Venus, so do better there and in weeks after :hug:

darrinbaker00
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

F@cking conditions :sad: Venus just hates wind. And wasted few good chances.

Congrats Cibulkova, very well played.

Memphis is coming for Venus, so do better there and in weeks after :hug:
The wind blew on both sides of the net, not just one. Cibulkova won because she played better ball than Venus. Period.

Beat
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
ouch ...

jonnyroyale_13
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Cibulkova's stats

UE- 4:eek::eek:

:eek:

supergrunt
:shrug:

Kim's_fan_4ever

No, she doesn't need fans like you :rolleyes:

Dominika CHOKE!!!!!, Fall on face, idc, lose
COME ON VEE!!

OMG, cibulkova sprain your ankle or something

Pathetic. Grow up :help:

go_russia
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
happy for her !!! great Domi !

supergrunt
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
The wind blew on both sides of the net, not just one. Cibulkova won because she played better ball than Venus. Period.

Do you shutup? Ever? Just a question?

savitri
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Domi :bounce:

M&M
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM
go domi! ;)

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:00 PM

Why did you bring up that past stff..that is pathetic!

plantman
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:01 PM
..and Sharapova has just been handed the title

Sorry, that would be Jankovic!:)

darrinbaker00
You'll make a fine adult someday.....

Il Primo!
Erm.:o I was not expecting this AT ALL. First bizarre loss of the year so far. Hope it's the very last, you can't lose like that if you aim to reach the top5:rolleyes:

And I want another Vee in Bangalore:o

smokovec
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Great win for Domi, she plays very very well today in these difficult conditions.

With this 3 wins in 2 sets in Doha!!! :worship:

cocco80
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM
sad for Vee but hey Domi was very clever and her win is deserved.

LindsayRulz
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Oh my :o

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
shocked it was quite that easy

the wind is playing such a big part in these results-its disappointing with such a good entry list

Destiny
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM

No need for insult
It was the spur of the moment kind of comment
sure it waS a joke

hotandspicey
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Some things were just not meant to be in Doha. :sad: Wake up Vee. :rolleyes:

Juanes
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Daniela Hantuchova needed against Venus 9 matches and any win....

Dominika only one match!!!

superb win! thank you Domi :hearst:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM
:haha: Venus :hug: :awww:

Dave.
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Oh my. Well done Dominika.:yeah: She is really making things happen for herself now.

Asa for Venus, she just needs to shrug it off and concentrate on her next tournament. Good luck in the doubles, although I have a feeling they will pull out).

plantman
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM

I agree! Those are awful things to say! If it was the other way around and said about her fav, the red dots would be accumulating like bugs on a windshield during a hot summer days drive!!!!

serenus_2k8
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Vee just has more time to rest until Memphis - gotta look at the positives!

supergrunt
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
You'll make a fine adult someday.....

:)

Emina.
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Domi :)

Highlandman
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM
Vee just has more time to rest until Memphis - gotta look at the positives!

:yeah: Yeah, especially cos she entered in many tournaments now after here.

Memphis-Bangalore-Miami-Amelia Island-Charleston - tough schedule. :p

tojja
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
:lol:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM
Why did you bring up that past stff..that is pathetic!

So you agree with him. That's all I needed. Thank you.

No need for insult
It was the spur of the moment kind of comment
sure it waS a joke

Apparently I have a different definition of a joke.

Natash.
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
So happy for Domi! :hearts:

First top 20 and top 10 win in the same tournament! :eek: Amazing performance! :hug:

BuTtErFrEnA
you'll see it at the French:unsure:

RG title here we come :armed:
she's the f***ing Venus Williams :fiery:

Helaena
vee :hug: it was unexpected...

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
This loss at least made Momo's loss not a bad one.:p

Well done Domi!:yeah:
Vee :o but well,:hug:

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM

You have to realize Uranium wasn't being serious!

Don't try to be a smart-ass...you are talking to no-one but me..talk to me .
Don't try to be a friggin smart-ass.
Where in my post did it say i agreed with him! :rolleyes:

merda2004
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
that was sweet!!!!!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
You have to realize Uranium wasn't being serious!

Don't try to be a smart-ass...you are talking to no-one but me..talk to me .
Don't try to be a friggin smart-ass.
Where in my post did it say i agreed with him! :rolleyes:

Yeah, definitely he wasn't. It's something normal to say. I get it.

Ellery
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Venus :help:
Congrats Domi.

Destiny
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
:rolleyes:

cometz9
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM
Just yesterday i was thrilled to have her back and now she's gone today lol.
Well at least she's playing again next week and the following :drool:

Thanx4nothin
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Just awful, everytime we think Venus is getting into a zone she seems to fall out of form again, so predictable.

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM

yea, because its called kidding and joking around:rolleyes:
also if you hate me IGNORE ME.:)

Slutiana
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
:sobbing:

sd3300123
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:12 PM
So many UE from Venus

dynamoRockstarr
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
RG title here we come :armed:
she's the f***ing Venus Williams :fiery:

U KNO IT!!!!

papru
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Venus :o
I hoped Aga to be the one to kick your butt :p

Hashim.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Venus:sad::o:eek:

good win Domi:yeah::kiss:

NyCPsU
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
holy crap domi :woohoo:

i had a weird feeling she could do it :eek:

like i said the other day, up and up and up for domi this year :yeah:

venus :hug: :(

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
The sexier player won . Great

Princeza
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
The sexier player won . Great

:haha: you mug

Brooks.
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
I understand the conditions were tough but this is ridiculous

Venus is the top player. She is the one with the experience. She should know how to play these conditions.

When will Venus finally show up in 08'?

venus_rulez
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
I'm surprised by the result, but then again not really. I don't think the wind is an excuse. Venus has played several times in windy conditions against much more experienced players and come through with the win. The problem here was probably "Early Season Syndrome" that Venus has almost always had a bit of. For whatever reason it seems to take her a few months to really find a groove. She almost always has some WTF losses in the beginning of seasons (even though now they seem to be spread all over the season) But it doesn't matter, Venus has losses like this in 2005 and 2007 and won a major. I mean people were saying Venus should retire as late as May last year and she's firmly in the top 10 now. So let the haters have their play, I believe they'll once again have egg on their face.

Sally Todd
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
:) for Cibulkova -- it's past time for her to get some more respect. Maybe a win over Venus will show people that when she beats their favorite big hitter it isn't a fluke.

Cibulkova's results were good in the warm ups for the Australian and she did reasonably well at the Australian. She's steadily been going uphill since at least midway through last year. She's arriving.

Of all the young players I haven't seen much of, she's the one I'd like to watch playing a match. Maybe it'll happen at this tournament? Interesting that she and Radwanska are offering an alternative to the ball bashing.

Venus. :( I hope you get it together for at least some of this year, girl. At least you're playing, unlike baby sis! Here's hoping Memphis helps her get back on track. I'm not shocked by this loss, but the scoreline is BAD!

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
:) for Cibulkova -- it's past time for her to get some more respect. Maybe a win over Venus will show people that when she beats their favorite big hitter it isn't a fluke.

Cibulkova's results were good in the warm ups for the Australian and she did reasonably well at the Australian. She's steadily been going uphill since at least midway through last year. She's arriving.

Of all the young players I haven't seen much of, she's the one I'd like to watch playing a match. Maybe it'll happen at this tournament? Interesting that she and Radwanska are offering an alternative to the ball bashing.

Venus. :( I hope you get it together for at least some of this year, girl. At least you're playing, unlike baby sis! Here's hoping Memphis helps her get back on track. I'm not shocked by this loss, but the scoreline is BAD!

I guess you haven't seen Domi play!
She is as much a ball-basher as Vee!:lol:

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
horrible performance by venus, good performance by domi.
I think it has to do with the condtitions. venus was serving at 150kmh or so:yawn::help:

Wasn't it windy on both sides of the court? or just everytime where Venus is?

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
Well done dominika :) unlucky venus :(

Sally Todd
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM
I guess you haven't seen Domi play!
She is as much a ball-basher as Vee!:lol:

You think? From what I've seen she's short of stature, has a strong forehand and a steady backhand, and is good at moving the ball around. There's no way she hits as big a ball as Venus, especially on the serve.

The one time I saw Cibulkova, she was beating Vaidisova, who hits as big as Venus. She did so by moving Nicole around and drawing errors.

serenafan08
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Venus...:o :help: The wind is no excuse; every player has to deal with the conditions and make them work to their advantage. Looks like Cibulkova did the better job of it.

Blu€
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
:eek::eek: Cibulkova :worship::worship: good job!

cellophane
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Jesus fuck!

Russianboy
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
oh venus...:o

faboozadoo15
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
They' ve got catfish on the table
They' ve got gospel in the air
Reverend Green be glad to see you
When you haven't got a prayer
But boy you got a prayer in Memphis

:wavey:

sammy01
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
They' ve got catfish on the table
They' ve got gospel in the air
Reverend Green be glad to see you
When you haven't got a prayer
But boy you got a prayer in Memphis

love that song. :hearts:

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Poor Venus :hug:

At least she has some time to rest before she plays her next Tier III :tape: Maybe can actually win something there :lol:

Hello, my friend Uranium :)
Didn't I tell you some time ago that Venus will not win Doha? And weren't you insulting me after that?
Was my prediction right or was my prediction right? :wavey:

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM
I just got home and started reading this thread. To be honest, I was expecting to hear a lot of "how could Venus lose to someone as crap as Cibulkova whoever she is" type posts. Stuff like "retire Venus" "that was pathetic" etc. The kind of depressing reactions I have seen more times than I really care to remember when a top established player loses to an up and comer.

Instead, what I have read, largely at least, does the Venus Williams fans on this forum so much credit I can only say the lot of you have my upmost respect. This tread has got to be one of the most mature reactions to a loss threads by a large group of fans I have read in this forum and collectively WTAworld Venus Williams fans have every right to be very proud of themselves tonight.

I'm not going to repeat any specific posts, but it was great to see Venus fans so prepared to give credit to Dominika but also not to get to down on Venus. The generally gist of most of the posts basically being, oh well, tough conditions, a tough match up, Venus isn't all powerful and she has matches like this, but she can still play good on her day too and I'm still a fan and looking forward to her next match. That may not seem like much but to me such reactions are the kind of pragmatic mature responses I don't read a lot of in this forum. Once, sorry for repeating myself but respect to Venus's fans.

As to the match, well done Domi. Nicely played. :yeah:
Commiserations Venus, you will have much better matches this year. ;)

partbrit
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Cibulkova is a really good player, and any success she has will not surprise me. And Cibulkova has something else, too--she keeps her cool pretty well, kind of like Paszek.

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM

Facing the reality is really hard sometimes :D

Ben.
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
terrible loss for venus :sad: hopefully she can do better in next events :hug: :)

Josh.
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:33 PM
amazing domi :yeah:

hurricanejeanne
:eek: Domi! :banana:

Ben.
but well done to cibulkova though, just the better player.

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
I just got home and started reading this thread. To be honest, I was expecting to hear a lot of "how could Venus lose to someone as crap as Cibulkova whoever she is" type posts. Stuff like "retire Venus" "that was pathetic" etc. The kind of depressing reactions I have seen more times than I really care to remember when a top established player loses to an up and comer.

That is exactly what several people in this thread said. :tape: Not all of them, I admit that, but some people were really saying that Venus should retire, they said that Venus only lost becuause of the conditions and Venus would have won for sure withour the wind. And that Uranium-poster was even wishing that Cibulkova got injured so that Venus could reach next round :help:

faboozadoo15
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Did ChrisCHorse even read this thread?

Vincey!
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM
Domi :eek: :worship: :drool:

Destiny
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
:rolleyes:

*Jean*
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Wow what a match...It was amazing, Domi was just in fire, 4 unforced errors it must be a record :lol:

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM

No.

mckyle.
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
:spit:

Wow.

perseus2006
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Well, this is the deal. This match was an object lesson of the bizarre nature of quantum physics.

In point, in Venus's universe in Doha, it was windy with gusts to 30mph and chilly at around 17C. Just in general a nasty day for tennis. The worst possible conditions for Venus.

In Domi's universe, however, it was one of those quiet, warm sunny days which god created specifically for playing tennis. Did you notice that every time Domi went to serve, a cloud would cover the sun so as not to shine in her eyes. Perfect conditions for Domi.

Not only in singles, but the nasty conditions followed Venus to her doubles match where Team ChaChu gave Team WillWoz a demonstration in how to play a doubles match. It wasn't a pretty sight! Team ChaChu played in beautiful weather conditions while Team WillWoz had to fight wind, hail, cold and even some snow.

A bad day for some, a good day for others. Such is the way...

Derek.
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

So proud of you Dominika! :hearts:

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
That is exactly what several people in this thread said. :tape: Not all of them, I admit that, but some people were really saying that Venus should retire, they said that Venus only lost becuause of the conditions and Venus would have won for sure withour the wind. And that Uranium-poster was even wishing that Cibulkova got injured so that Venus could reach next round :help:

Yes of course I read this thread. I read it all the way through. And yes, Inevitably you are going to get idiots that say "Venus retire" etc. But the good posts for once really did substantial outweigh the bad posts. I started dishing out good reps to all the Venus fans who were showing really sporting maturity and I had run out of good reps to give out by page 4. Quite a number of posters I would like to have good repped I wasn't able to.

Yeah they were dumb posts too. They are always dumb posts. But it is nice to see them as the exception and not the rule.

DokicPova
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
please retire :help::lol:

iPatty
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Dominika has had a lot of things go her way this week in terms of her opposition, but she clearly deserves to be in the QF. I hope she beats Aga now. :)

Neptune
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Nice win! :cool:

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well, this is the deal. This match was an object lesson of the bizarre nature of quantum physics.

In point, in Venus's universe in Doha, it was windy with gusts to 30mph and chilly at around 17C. Just in general a nasty day for tennis. The worst possible conditions for Venus.

In Domi's universe, however, it was one of those quiet, warm sunny days which god created specifically for playing tennis. Did you notice that every time Domi went to serve, a cloud would cover the sun so as not to shine in her eyes. Perfect conditions for Domi.

Not only in singles, but the nasty conditions followed Venus to her doubles match where Team ChaChu gave Team WillWoz a demonstration in how to play a doubles match. It wasn't a pretty sight! Team ChaChu played in beautiful weather conditions while Team WillWoz had to fight wind, hail, cold and even some snow.

A bad day for some, a good day for others. Such is the way...
So would you say its a conspiracy?

Pasta-Na
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:40 PM
venus :hug:

LDF
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Venus :tape: :unsure:

Very disappointing loss.

Congrats to Domi!

Forehand_Volley
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't have expected Venus to lose so badly to such a low-ranked player. Would have liked to see another Venus-Maria showdown.

Forehand_Volley
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM

Venus is the top player. She is the one with the experience. She should know how to play these conditions.

Historically Venus has never played well early in the year. She thrives in the summer months, July and August.

PamShriver
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
This isn't that surprising this isn't usually the time of the year, or the type of event that Vee usually does well. Cibulkova is a great fighter too, tough to play for someone like Vee when she is not 100% and conditions are bad. Good win for Cibulkova but I'm not that concerned for Vee.

Mic-190286
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
Last week i said Domi still hasn't beaten anyone big, now this week Safarova, Patty and Venus in a row! This is definately her breakthrough, it's been a long time coming.

Forehand_Volley
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
please retire :help::lol:
Why? So she'll stop kicking Maria's ass everytime they play?

switz
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
:lol: at people saying the reigning Wimbledon champion should retire :o

jacobruiz
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM

:help: Head to Head = 3-2 Maria
Not that Venus should retire, of course. I hope they play each other in Miami.

Denise4925
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Oh Vee :sad:

What happened? Did anyone see the match?

Sorry haven't read all of the posts.

frontier
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM
This goes to show that the sisters are still the yardstick in women's tennis:p when they can generate 200 replies for a loss in the round of 16 at a venue that is not that sexy.Dominika should thank Vee for giving her this exposure otherwise she was virtually unknown.I hope she uses this exposure to her advantage and source some sponsors.Venus and Serena rule WTA!:lol:

spencercarlos
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Wow Nadal and Venus losing on the same day, after i had expected easy wins..
This definetly has made my day. :bounce:

frontier
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
Wow Nadal and Venus losing on the same day, after i had expected easy wins..
This definetly has made my day. :bounce:what are you:devil:?the prince or the princess of darkness.:devil:

RsaibotD
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM
congrats Domi, go for the title :yeah:

spencercarlos
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
what are you:devil:?the prince or the princess of darkness.:devil:
Prince Sr :p ;)

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Prince Sr :p ;)

i think you're a prince of haterville:haha:

The Daviator
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
:eek:

Vee :unsure: Well done Domi!

DimaDinosaur
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:45 PM
OMG this is so embarrassing. Venus needs to retire. A paper bag can probably beat her now......

debopero
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:47 PM
I really won't look into this too much. :sad:

Denise4925
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
OMG this is so embarrassing. Venus needs to retire. A paper bag can probably beat her now......

Yep, her results clearly show she should retire. Let's see winner of Wimbledon '07, Semi-finalist in US '07, Quarter-finalist in AO '08. Yep, that's the resume of a top ten player who should definitely retire. :rolleyes:

Bounty Hunter
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
:help:

Better luck next time Vee.

Renalicious
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM
Oh God :sad:

Olórin
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Venus :rolleyes:

tobi
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
I didnt watch the match and my first impression was "wind is a great leveller" :lol:

Wonderful stats for Domi though.

Corswandt
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
First time seeing Cibulkova play. Very feisty girl. Her game is a bit like Kirilenko though I'm sure Kirilenko has never played such a clean match against a top player.

Long time no see. :wavey:

Some of your similes are spot on, but I can't agree here. Kirilenko has much more variety and is much less consistent than Cibulkova. Totally different types. Cibulkova is a strange hybrid, a noughties version of the high % baseline grinder - junk/moonballs/slowing down the pace won't do, so she cranks it up by hitting high % groundstrokes with good depth and placement until she draws an error. Uses her footspeed/footwork more to get in position to hit a good shot on time more than to actually retrieve, i.e. she's more Davydenko or Jankovic than Nadal. Still, she'll be a holy terror on clay.

Radwanska will be a harder opponent for Cibulkova. I wonder who is going to dictate the points in that one.

No clue.

Radwanska has more tactical savvy and moves the ball around somewhat better, so she may have it easier finding openings for winners, but, being underpowered, she'll have trouble hitting past Cibulkova outright. Cibulkova's mix of power and consistency is impressive, but she hits next to no winners against slower opponents, let alone against Radwanska.

Derek.
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Cibulkova's mix of power and consistency is impressive, but she hits next to no winners against slower opponents, let alone against Radwanska.

She had 16 today someone said earlier. :p

Pretty good for her and for against Venus.

Kenny
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:09 PM
WTH is wrong with Venus? Losing to Cibulkova? Seriously..

Melly Flew Us
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:18 PM
eh, double standards ....

cellophane
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM

That's what I've been wondering about you.

faboozadoo15
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:30 PM

:haha: And people wonder why I've brought up their head2head and their hardcourt results this week.. :tape:

RJWCapriati
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
:tape:

faboozadoo15
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
This goes to show that the sisters are still the yardstick in women's tennis:p when they can generate 200 replies for a loss in the round of 16 at a venue that is not that sexy.Dominika should thank Vee for giving her this exposure otherwise she was virtually unknown.I hope she uses this exposure to her advantage and source some sponsors.Venus and Serena rule WTA!:lol:

Natash.
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM

:worship: Exactly. Venus has the experience. Venus is older and has been playing for years and years.

The wind was there for the both of them.

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
WTH is wrong with Venus? Losing to Cibulkova? Seriously..

Nothing wrong with her, she's just playing like she did in the last few years :shrug:

SelesFan70
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:48 PM
Wow :eek: She must have that wedding on her mind.

Kenny
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Nothing wrong with her, she's just playing like she did in the last few years :shrug:

No, i didn't mean physically gosh.

BoucharDRules
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
And a new hero is born....:hearts:

slamchamp
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
And a new hero is born....:hearts: hero?...uhmmm yeah right:tape:

BigBabeTENNIS
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
ok venus iam over it know good luck next week

Cat's Pajamas
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Venus :shrug: :confused: :help:

I just don't know anymore.

new-york
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Venus :shrug: :confused: :help:

I just don't know anymore.

TRY to stop expecting.
it's easier.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
Apparently, Venus went "on a holiday" from 3-2 up in the 1st set until 3-0 in the 2nd... 7 straight games for Cibulkova :tape: :help:

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Venus :o

Was looking forward to a SF against Maria. :sad:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
still love my baby girl venus no matter what :) hope to see more from domi...i can't stand one win wonders lol

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Apparently, Venus went "on a holiday" from 3-2 up in the 1st set until 3-0 in the 2nd... 7 straight points for Cibulkova :tape: :help:

points? i think you mean games;)

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
points? i think you mean games;)

Oops... didn't notice that... sorry :lol:

lizchris
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:58 AM
Why does a thread of Venus losing in a third round of a Tier I merit 16+ pages?

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
by haters sprewing their hate in one thread:shrug:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
because she's the f***ing Venus Williams?

lizchris
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
by haters sprewing their hate in one thread:shrug:

But I thought Maria was the most popular player on the WTA Tour?

They even dug up an old Serena thread which is more pages than this thread.

Uranium
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM

oh yea:cool:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
Why does a thread of Venus losing in a third round of a Tier I merit 16+ pages?

Maybe because the fact David just slew Goliath? :tape:

lizchris
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
I thought Venus wasn't Goliath anymore (especially after losing at the AO)?
:tape::tape::tape::tape::tape:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM

david (taking nothing away from domi) slew half of a goliath lol

-VSR-
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
Disappointing. I wish she was consistent again like the other top players (excluding Kuznetsova :lol: )

Calypso
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM

Venus!:confused:
Then she'll go on and win Wimbledon without dropping a set :lol:.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
^ you're damn right she will....only before she loses the olympics to serena 7-6 (41-39) in the 3rd

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM

Venus!:confused:
Then she'll go on and win Wimbledon without dropping a set :lol:.

oh and she will hit 10 errors a match at most!!! 13 aces and 1 df :)

Dodoboy.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
^ you're damn right she will....only before she loses the olympics to serena 7-6 (41-39) in the 3rd

:rolls: at the Tiebreak!

Effy
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
wow havent been for few days here and .. :o thats a bad one, Venus :o