PDA

View Full Version : About Ana's retirement and WTA tour fee

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Updated: Injured Ana forced to withdraw

February 21, 2008 / Doha

Ana has been forced to pull out of the Qatar Total Open because of an ankle ligament strain sustained during her 6-3, 6-1 win over Olga Govortsova on Wednesday .

The 20-year-old slipped on the Rebound Ace surface when just two points from victory, rolling over on her ankle. It was a nasty sight and the top seed cried in pain for several minutes.

Ana was unable to walk properly after the match – she limped into her post-match press conference – and despite attempts to recover in time for her scheduled third round match with Agnieszka Radwanska today, she was forced to pull out.

She said: “I did icing all evening and all night, waking up each hour. When I got up this morning I couldn’t even walk properly, so that pretty much decided it,” said Ana.

“I went to the hospital for an MRI scan. Luckily there isn’t a tear, just some micro-tears. Now I just have to rest and hope that the injury recovers in time for the tournament in Dubai next week.

“It’s such a shame that this happened, because I felt I was playing well and I had good preparation for this tournament. I’m sorry to the spectators who were hoping to watch me in Doha; I’m also thankful for the many messages of support I received.

“Funnily enough, I was watching the movie Sliding Doors the night before my match. Maybe this is my destiny!” she joked.

Given the severity of the injury, it was known early this morning that Ana would not be competing today. We regret that we were prevented from publishing the news due to Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rules, which dictated that Ana must not publicly announce her withdrawal until she had filled in the necessary paperwork and attended a press conference – doing otherwise could have resulted in a fine of up to $6,000.

Click here to listen to a series of clips of Ana talking about the injury (or right-click and "Save Target As" to download). Audio by kind courtesy of Australian News Network reporter Frank Vardanega.

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
“Funnily enough, I was watching the movie Sliding Doors the night before my match. Maybe this is my destiny!” she joked.

OMG Ana i was thinking the same! The Destiny is with you:hearts::angel:

I’m sorry to the spectators who were hoping to watch me in Doha; I’m also thankful for the many messages of support I received.

OMG Ana is so nice :awww: