PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better player: Venus Williams or Serena?

allhingis
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:23 AM
For me, is Serena, because her game is more solid than Venus and her second serve is the best, but Venus has better volleys... but Serena is a little better!

Geisha
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM
For the majority of their careers, I'd say Venus was the better player. At their peaks, or almost peaks, it's been Serena.

Golovinjured.
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM
Venus is the better tennis player because she's more devoted to the sport. Serena had so much talent, and very possibly could have been the Court or Navratilova of the 2000's if she'd just dedicated herself to the sport completely instead of her 'acting' career and clothing and whatever else comes with it. I don't think Venus devotes herself entirely either, but moreso than Serena.

I can't stand athletes that have the potential to be great and waste there talent. Sadly the William sisters have joined Ian 'model/actor' Thorpe in that category, atleast to me anyway.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:43 AM
I think its even and comes down to motivation so Venus

ZeroSOFInfinity
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM
One has 6 Slams (4 of them Wimbledon). The other has 8 Slams (including the Grand Slam).

Take your pick :wavey:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM
If I take Elena out of the picture, Venus is my favorite or second favorite player ever. I love her to absolute pieces. Very few athletes in general have made me feel the wide gamut of emotions she has. But there's no doubt I think Serena is a much better player than she is. When it comes to technique, timing, ballstriking, and mental fortitude Serena is the better player, I think. Venus isn't a slouch or anything, but Serena's reached the very highest level of tennis. Venus has come close, but just didn't quite cross that border, I don't think.

Everything Venus does, Serena does better. :shrug: But it's weird, on a consistent basis, Venus has been the better player/had better results for much of their careers, like Geisha said. But Serena's little two/three year spell is enough for me.

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:56 AM
Venus has 36 titles, 6 slams and gold medal
Serena has 28:eek:8 slams and Serena Slam
Venus plays more, more committed, but Serena can go into a tourny underdog and win like Venus.
this was tough, but Venus. Serena's commitment/unjuries make her play less.

In The Zone
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:57 AM
When Venus is on, at Wimbledon, no one can stop her. Not even Serena. Serena doesn't go into the error, erratic messes Venus does. Serena can turn cut-throat in one minute. Venus, it seems, still doesn't know what cut-throat is. Venus has brought consistency into her game while Serena shows up every day and hopes for something to happen.

Legacy wise? Still Serena. Currently? Venus Williams.

IanRadi
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
I think both are more or less equal. Athough Serena has more power on her shots, Venus' movility is awesome.

I personally prefer Serena. Most likely because her attitude on court.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
One has 6 Slams (4 of them Wimbledon). The other has 8 Slams (including the Grand Slam).

Take your pick :wavey:

If I could have four of any one particular slam, I'd rather it be Wimbledon. I think most would agree.

I love how having four Wimbledon titles out of six slams is such a bad thing. :rolleyes: Not saying you're saying that, I guess, but it's always pointed out as a negative on Venus' behalf. She'll probably never win another slam outside Wimbledon but like that's such a bad thing. :weirdo:

Slutati
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM
I think it's Serena:shrug:

supergrunt
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
uuuuummm Serena

AcesHigh
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM
Career-wise? Serena hands-down

Right now? Venus

By the end of their careers? If I make a bold prediction, it's Venus. She still has the fire and commitment to add 2-5 more slams and I'm not exaggerating. If Henin slips, US Open could be Venus's for the taking. Give Venus the confidence at other slams again and she will be a powerful force.

venus_rulez
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:34 AM
I think they're pretty much even in terms of ability. Venus has had the more even career in that she's consistently shown up and been better, but like someone else said Serena's peak has been better, I don't know if I 'd say necessarily in terms of tennis, but in achievements. There head to head I think is interesting because i believe it's even (if you take out the indian wells walkover) If they both play their absolute best, Serena probably edges Vee just barely, if only because I still think venus still has that awww my little sister thing when it comes to closing her out, at the same time though I think Serena has to play peak tennis to beat venus, anything less than that and Venus wins.

But definitely venus has been the more professional and reliable of the two.

shell
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM

Right now? Venus

By the end of their careers? If I make a bold prediction, it's Venus. She still has the fire and commitment to add 2-5 more slams and I'm not exaggerating. If Henin slips, US Open could be Venus's for the taking. Give Venus the confidence at other slams again and she will be a powerful force.

Agree with your statement in total. I voted Venus, not based on total career, but career so far. I think Venus has the total game, and her commitment seems enough to drive her further. In the end, I think Venus will out shine Serena.

They are both great players - complete in their games. But I have always thougt that Venus could do more. Maybe now is her time, as I wonder if Serena is past her prime.

sweetpeas
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:48 AM
SERENA.nO DOUBT!!!!!!

40Love
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:49 AM
I voted for Venus. I seriously think Serena has chronic problems with her knee, and will retire very soon. She cannot play more than two tournaments in a row, and be healthy.

Tennisstar86
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:09 AM
Venus....Shes had waay more consistant results that Serena, and was on top of the game longer...

The big difference between Venus and Serena is that when Serena was on top she had the cut throat mentality against everyone including Venus....

Venus had it, just not against Serena.... I actually think Venus will end with more GS than Serena, and im fairly certain she'll have more titles....

As someone else said on this board...Serena is fighting Oracenes genes....

Ksenia.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:16 AM
Serena right now.. "Serena Slam" is more valuable than 4 Wimbledon titles imo

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
serena. when she actually plays, that is...

safinismine
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM
Venus. I hope she will prove me right with a few more GS.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:02 AM
Depends what you mean by better....

Better overall player-Serena
Most consistent (in terms of results)-Venus
Groundstroke technique-Serena
Volley technique-Venus
Serve-Serena by a mile
Movement-Venus by a mile
Tactics-Venus reads her opponents better and is a better student of the game IMO
Strategies-Serena, more likely to mix up pace, spins, lobs, drop shots etc;
Mental-Everyone thinks this is Serena, but I think it's Venus who keeps her cool more often and doesn't get down on herself outwardly for her opponents to feed off. Yes Serena saves MPs and fights until the end etc;.....so does Venus just in a quieter way ;)

serena_fan
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Serena

Mina Vagante
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Serena

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM

Right now? Venus

mY SEntiments exactly!:worship:

Nemo_Kool
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think right now Venus is the better player. But, it will take alot for Venus to better Serena's 2002/03 and that Serena Slam will be the thing that Serena is remembered for. Because when at her best, she is better than anyone else; her penetrating shots off both wings, that huge and accurate serve and the athletic ability about the court. That's not to say she's finished because i truly believe she has alot more great in her as with Venus...only time will tell who will do more in the latter parts of their careers.

spencercarlos
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM

Right now? Venus

In more than 10 years of carreer Venus has won 6 grand slams, what makes you think that in (lets be generous) 5 more years Venus will add 5 more grand slam wins?
Since the Australian Open 2003 Venus has not reached a grand slam final different than Wimbledon, i can certainly see Venus probably winning 2 more Wimbledons, but i really expect no wins at the other slams.

As for the discussion this thread is really pointless, Serena has been the better player of the two and by a lot. Way more weeks at number one, all grand slams, + YEC being held by Serena at some point of her carreer.

spencercarlos
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
If I take Elena out of the picture, Venus is my favorite or second favorite player ever. I love her to absolute pieces. Very few athletes in general have made me feel the wide gamut of emotions she has. But there's no doubt I think Serena is a much better player than she is. When it comes to technique, timing, ballstriking, and mental fortitude Serena is the better player, I think. Venus isn't a slouch or anything, but Serena's reached the very highest level of tennis. Venus has come close, but just didn't quite cross that border, I don't think.

Everything Venus does, Serena does better. :shrug: But it's weird, on a consistent basis, Venus has been the better player/had better results for much of their careers, like Geisha said. But Serena's little two/three year spell is enough for me.
Please Elaborate on this.
Venus better results than Serena..
1)At the Australian Open?
2)At the French Open?
3)At the YEC?
4)Weeks at number one?

In fact Venus only has more Wimbledon wins and the Olympics as better results than her sister beyond that Serena has taken every other important title and has been number one better/longer than her sister.

Even since 2003 Serena´s overall results are better than Venus.

Oh well..

Renalicious
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
It really depends on what you mean by 'the better player'. I think technically, Venus is by far the more talented one. But, as a whole, I really do think Serena is a *better* player. She has that extra something, she has a unbelievable fighting spirit that has turned so many matches around. I think if Venus got fired up a bit more, she could be right up there with Rena but I think that's one thing Venus lacks. I love her, but I wish she could get angry more often and DO something when she's down. Even if it doesn't work, at least she tried.

I don't think Serena will retire. I think she knows that she has something more to give to the game. Her time is not over. There are so many other things she could do before she retires. I also think she has a newfound passion to the game. Sure, her recent withdrawals might not suggest that but maybe she really is sick. We all know she's a bit of a drama queen, but that works to her favour in matches and once again, that's the edge she has against Venus.

So when it comes to the bottom line, Serena was the one who actually used more of the potential she had than Venus IMO.

Marcus1979
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:47 PM
some people here say Venus is faster on the court but remember prior to Serena knee surgery in 2003 she was definitely faster than even Venus.

As much as I would love to say Venus logic wins and I say Serena.

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
some people here say Venus is faster on the court but remember prior to Serena knee surgery in 2003 she was definitely faster than even Venus.

As much as I would love to say Venus logic wins and I say Serena.

Serena-2004 French, her movement:hearts:

Marcus1979
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:50 PM
uranium you agree that Serena was definately more agile in the period 2000/01 - Mid 2003?

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:58 PM
serena...while venus plays more so is more consistent serena is still the better player imo....consistent doesn't equal better player in my books cause then a lot of players would be better than the others because they are consistent but haven't really done anything

Uranium
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
uranium you agree that Serena was definately more agile in the period 2000/01 - Mid 2003?

well of course, compared to now, 2005-a mess after AO, 2006-weight issues, 2007-struggled to beat Henin
2004 movement was good as well.

markdelaney
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
at 100% fit , Venus is probably slightly better but she loses form much faster and makes many more unforced errors than Serena if they're not 100%

Tennisstar86
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Please Elaborate on this.
Venus better results than Serena..
1)At the Australian Open?
2)At the French Open?
3)At the YEC?
4)Weeks at number one?

In fact Venus only has more Wimbledon wins and the Olympics as better results than her sister beyond that Serena has taken every other important title and has been number one better/longer than her sister.

Even since 2003 Serena´s overall results are better than Venus.

Oh well..

More consistant results = the fact Serena consistantly did well at the GS/ on tour from about march 2002 to july 2004...

Venus did it from the moment she made the final againt martine in 97 to july 2003....
The fact is Serena may have been #1 longer, but she wasnt on top as long...

Just like Hingis was "better" than davenport, but as a career Davenport was more consistant...

The Daviator
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Serena.

Her game is technically sounder, and she's mentally tougher, Venus is flashier and can hit more spectacular shots, but she makes more errors, and the Slam totals can't be ignored.

Dave.
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
When Serena was at her best, she was better. But she could only produce her very best for a small period of time, so that goes against her. Venus has had a more solid, consistent career. I think achiievements wise, the Serena slam just edges out Venus, but Venus is the better player because she can produce good tennis more regularly.

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Depends how they both play on the day there both amazing at there best

Poova
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Interesting question and it depends how you interpret it. Based on achievements, Serena is without a doubt the better player.

However, I think overall, Venus is the better player in terms of game for the reasons already stated... so I vote for Venus.

Thanx4nothin
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Serena is the best player of her generation, Venus has lost too many matches she should have won and seems to be coming to the latter years of her career. Right now though she is leagues ahead of Serena

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Looking at today's performance and other factors.
Serena hands down!

Dodoboy.
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
I would trust Serena with Dominika.. even after being a set behind!

saint2
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Historicaly- Serena
Now- I dont know, they should meet each other to check it...They didnt play each other since...I dont even remember...2005?

Denise4925
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Technically Serena IMO :shrug:

Emina.
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
hmm...equal :worship:

spencercarlos
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
More consistant results = the fact Serena consistantly did well at the GS/ on tour from about march 2002 to july 2004...

Venus did it from the moment she made the final againt martine in 97 to july 2003....
The fact is Serena may have been #1 longer, but she wasnt on top as long...

Just like Hingis was "better" than davenport, but as a career Davenport was more consistant...
Your comments only shows that Serena acomplished way more than Venus in a shorter period of time.. That to me means that Serena is better.

Plus your argument is pretty much innacurate Serena first won a slam in 1999 and became a major force on tour since well her first major championship at the Usopen August of 1999 and from that time to January 2005 she acomplished very respectable results in grand slam events.

As for the Hingis-Davenport comparisson it´s pretty much ridiculous as Hingis´s numbers are mostly better than Davenport.

Serenidad.
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM
No 1st round Grand Slam losses.
More intangibles.
More slams.
You all say Venus movement blah. Serena's was just as good if not better.
Better technical player.
Venus does a dropshot once a year. Serena does one once a match.
Serena can hit a kick serve and hit all corners of the service box on command.
Less errors, better forehand.

Serena Slam. More weeks at number one.

aguy9797
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
At their best, Serena was better, she was more a complete player. Right now, Venus is prolly stronger

mirzalover
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:12 AM
Serena has the more complete game.

Lilowannabe
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
Its a hard one, there are so many different interpretations of 'whos the better player.' Serena has achieved more, but Venus has had a more consistent career. For me both have similar attributes, power/speed/mental-toughness, but different styles. Venus is a 'hard hitter' who loves to go for spectacular winners, while Serena is more of a shot maker with massive power, but her agression is more controlled than Venus'. Overall Id say Serena is the better player generally, shes the cleaner and more natural striker of the ball, and is techniqually superior to Venus.

(But i love 'em both)

SV_Fan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
I would say Venus. She has the better all around game. She's more consistent than serena. I think she just overall has the better game.

SV_Fan
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Its a hard one, there are so many different interpretations of 'whos the better player.' Serena has achieved more, but Venus has had a more consistent career. For me both have similar attributes, power/speed/mental-toughness, but different styles. Venus is a 'hard hitter' who loves to go for spectacular winners, while Serena is more of a shot maker with massive power, but her agression is more controlled than Venus'. Overall Id say Serena is the better player generally, shes the cleaner and more natural striker of the ball, and is techniqually superior to Venus.

(But i love 'em both)

I disagree. Venus is technically sounder than Serena. Commentators have even said that. Serena is more agressive than Venus except Venus is the harder hitter. But we'll never know who really is the powerhouse between the. The only difference is the 2nd serve.

morningglory
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:11 AM
Serena! More slams + all slams won >>>>> Venus

new-york
Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
a lot of people feel like Venus has been more consistent than Serena over the years.
maybe they mean more consistently playing.

Lilowannabe
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I disagree. Venus is technically sounder than Serena. Commentators have even said that. Serena is more agressive than Venus except Venus is the harder hitter. But we'll never know who really is the powerhouse between the. The only difference is the 2nd serve.
Maybe, but in my opinion Serena is techniqually better. Serenas forehand is more solid, her groundstrokes arent as jerky as Venus' and her serve is more consistent. Venus does have better volleys though.

Just my opinion though.

Rex59
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Right now it is Serena, for Venus appears to be declining. Talent-wise Venus is or was the better player. Sibling love prevented her from winning more Slams in the past. However, at this moment the way Venus is performing so far this year, it appears that Serena is the better player.

CR3WLFC
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
both at their peaks venus

Mina Vagante
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
both at their peaks venus

Oh god, how wrong you are ! Have you seen Serena at her peak :eek:

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I think Serena's a better competitor, a better fighter, and an all around better tennis player. She has better technique on more shots, she has a better first and second serve, she's stronger mentally, she's more consistent, and I think she's harder to beat.

With that said, I think Venus' game matches up well with Serena's and it wouldn't surprise me to see Venus end up having a better H2H against her.

samsam4087
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Both of them are not very good now.

DimaDinosaur
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Serena may be the better player, but Venus is the better person. Oracene must have spent all her class on Venus and had none to give to Serena

Stamp Paid
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
How the hell has Venus been more consistent than Serena, in any period of time?
Somebody explain that foolishness. Venus has played more, but more consistent? In titles won or slam results? Lets start post 2003 injury flop foolishness:

Venus
2004: Charleston (T1), Warsaw (T2)
2005: Wimbledon, Istanbul (T3)
2006: flop foolishness
2007: Wimbledon, Memphis (T3), Seoul (T3)

Serena
2004: Miami (T1), Beijing (T2), Wimbledon F
2005: Australian Open
2006: Flop foolishness
2007: Miami (T1), Australian Open

Pretty equal if you ask me. And if you consider the fact that venus played more, than it looks worse because she should have won more.

If they played right now though, Venus would baptize her. (Well considering the losses of the past 2 tournaments, maybe not) Serena is far too slow to compete with Venus at this point, her movement is already a major factor in why shes losing to Henin, Venus would exploit that weakness even further.

Stamp Paid
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I disagree. Venus is technically sounder than Serena. Commentators have even said that. Serena is more agressive than Venus except Venus is the harder hitter. But we'll never know who really is the powerhouse between the. The only difference is the 2nd serve.Which commentators said that??? :confused: The only shot that Venus is more technically sound on is the volley.