PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova’s plans to open tennis center in Vietnam

slamchamp
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
VietNamNet Bridge – In early 2007, Sharapova, the famed Russian tennis beauty quietly visited Vietnam. She asked her driver to avoid major streets, lest she be noticed.

On the way to Lai Thieu in southern Vietnam, known for its orchards, the driver wound Sharapova around on a back country road. She was surprised at seeing many people playing tennis but couldn’t understand why they were playing without a ball. She asked the interpreter, whose face turned red and said “they love tennis but they are poor and can’t buy balls”.

One month later, the Vietnam Tennis Federation received a thick file labeled “Plans to establish the Sharapova Bangky tennis training center.”

The federation’s officials were surprised and met with the interpreter. He laughed and said: “The day we drove across Bang Ky bride. She saw many people holding mosquito-catching racquets. I explained to her that they were playing tennis; it was then she thought of establishing a tennis training center named after her and the Bang Ky bridge.”

Early this year, Sharapova sent her assistant to Vietnam to learn why Vietnamese agencies hadn’t responded to her.

I never heard of this:confused:

tennisbear7
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:32 AM
If this is true, Maria :worship:

angliru
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
The Danish commentator on Eurosport mentioned this yesterday. He said that the Vietnamese had never replied officially to Sharapova's request. But she would send a representative to Vietnam to "progress things", if possible. All according to the Danish Eurosport commentator.

winnermax
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM
The new is funny....And we can see Maria is very kind .But I think in Vietnam, many people can't pay for playing tennis.

wateva
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM
this girl manages to impress me more everyday. :yeah:

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:29 AM
Maybe the Vietnamese authorities didn't reply to her because they consider only serious inquiries?
Come on, to open a tennis centre because in backroads she saw people playing tennis without balls with mosquito-catching raquets??? Maria, they weren't playing tennis, they were using their raquets!!! :lol::tape:

Anyways, good try Masha, hopefully with time you'll get less dumb:lol::kiss:

tennisbear7
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
Shut up, spiritedenergy.

Nikkiri
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Shut up, spiritedenergy.
:worship:

Mana
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Shut up, spiritedenergy.

Well said.

Masha :worship:

wateva
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Maybe the Vietnamese authorities didn't reply to her because they consider only serious inquiries?
Come on, to open a tennis centre because in backroads she saw people playing tennis without balls with mosquito-catching raquets??? Maria, they weren't playing tennis, they were using their raquets!!! :lol::tape:

i'm by no means a maria fan but to always critisize everything she does is just plain silly.
please learn to give credit when it's due, not always critisizing and being defensive. :rolleyes:
i guess ana gets so many haters is due to posters like you. :ras:

Maria Croft
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
That's really a great thing to do, hope it works out :)

Ksenia.
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
if it's true.. Maria :worship:

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM
i'm by no means a maria fan but to always critisize everything she does is just plain silly.
please learn to give credit when it's due, not always critisizing and being defensive. :rolleyes:
i guess ana gets so many haters is due to posters like you. :ras:

i'm sorry but the whole story doesn't make any sense to me: the backroads, the mosquito raquets, Vietnam (when did she go there??? I guess Russia needs centers as well...). it's just wrong:smash:

DokicPova
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
i think spiritedengery must really hate ana and make her fan base look bad.

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
i think spiritedengery must really hate ana and make her fan base look bad.

:weirdo:

You see Ana everywhere it must be horrible for you since you hate her so much. It's a pity for you, get help:hug:

Dan23
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
i'm sorry but the whole story doesn't make any sense to me: the backroads, the mosquito raquets, Vietnam (when did she go there??? I guess Russia needs centers as well...). it's just wrong:smash:READ THE STORY and you will learn....grow up ffs you're the one looking 'dumb' here

jacobruiz
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
READ THE STORY and you will learn....grow up ffs you're the one looking 'dumb' here
He just keeps making himself look more like the idiot he is. :lol:
Maria - keep doing good work! :worship:

hotandspicey
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a bogus story to me. Sharapova needs to clean up her own backyard first, anyway :tape: Playing tennis without balls? :lol: Yeah, right.

Dave.
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, that would be really great of her to do this but I don't know why the agencies in Vietnam haven't responded. It is good that she is already thinking about giving back to the game. Maria :worship:

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a bogus story to me. Sharapova needs to clean up her own backyard first, anyway :tape: Playing tennis without balls? :lol: Yeah, right.

Finally someone with a brain!:bounce: She probably invented the story on a night in 2007 after her USOpen loss in order to get some attention that couldn't get on court. Then the story went out of control and came to the press:tape:

bellascarlett
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM

You see Ana everywhere it must be horrible for you since you hate her so much. It's a pity for you, get help:hug:

You're the one hating on Sharapova everywhere. Everyone with a brain and a sense of decency on this board knows you for the stupid troll you are. It's a pity for you, for Ana, for her other fans, get help.

goldenlox
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
It sounds crazy. Y would she be in Vietnam looking at kids playing tennis?
Kids have much bigger problems than tennis rackets.

slamchamp
Feb 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM
Finally someone with a brain!:bounce: She probably invented the story on a night in 2007 after her USOpen loss in order to get some attention that couldn't get on court. Then the story went out of control and came to the press:tape: Shut up

bellascarlett
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Finally someone with a brain!:bounce: She probably invented the story on a night in 2007 after her USOpen loss in order to get some attention that couldn't get on court. Then the story went out of control and came to the press:tape:

And spiritedenergy has the guts to give me a bad rep to call me dumb and insulting...:rolls: Love it...don't dish if you can't take it, baby! :p

The truth hurts I guess...you are an embarrassment to the Ivanovic fanbase, to Ivanovic, and to yourself. Too bad you can't see that.

joăo.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM

LMAO?

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
It sounds crazy. Y would she be in Vietnam looking at kids playing tennis?
Kids have much bigger problems than tennis rackets.

ahahahh everyone is noticing the idiocy of this story. Only bruttascarlett and her minions are trying to save their face:tape:

And Sharapova doesn't need fans to embarrass her, she does that well by herself. A tennis center in a country where they don't have to eat!?! Masha get it together this is not Hollywood:weirdo:

Emina.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
wow :weirdo:
i will have to ignore some retarded trolls in the future ...

slamchamp
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
wow :weirdo:
i will have to ignore some retarded trolls in the future ...
spiritedenergy??

Tamus
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
I thought this was a joke :confused:

morningglory
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM
:shrug: seems real enough to me... :shrug:
Dont' understand why some people think this is fake

Slumpsova
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM
god she must be smelling of some money there :rolleyes:
honey, Vietnamese can't afford your expensive training program. so go away! SEA doesn't welcome you.

Warrior
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
Your obsession with Maria is unhealty, meanspiritedenergy! You really need some professional help!

Tamus
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
:shrug: seems real enough to me... :shrug:
Dont' understand why some people think this is fake

Well, how I read it is that Masha saw people with mosquito-catching raquets and thought they were playing tennis (without tennis balls). The interpreter joked w/ her and said that they couldn't afford tennis balls. She took him seriously and proceeded to make plans for a tennis center in Vietnam. Surprised to see the plans, Vietnamese officials were told of the joke by the interpreter, which is why they never responded to Maria. Maria remained oblivious to the fact that Vietnam would have no use for a tennis center.

Sounds like one of those stupid fabricated dumb blonde jokes to me.

slamchamp
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
god she must be smelling of some money there :rolleyes:
honey, Vietnamese can't afford your expensive training program. so go away! SEA doesn't welcome you.Szavaysova :hearts::hearts:

jacobruiz
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
Maria remained oblivious to the fact that Vietnam would have no use for a tennis center.

Why do you say that? :confused:

slamchamp
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
so vietnamites have no right of playing tennis and enjoy themselves? :shrug:

Tamus
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Why do you say that? :confused:

Not my words, just what I inferred from the "article".

Tamus
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM
I think this went way over you all's heads, or I'm just way off base here. I really think it's the former, however.

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Well, how I read it is that Masha saw people with mosquito-catching raquets and thought they were playing tennis (without tennis balls). The interpreter joked w/ her and said that they couldn't afford tennis balls. She took him seriously and proceeded to make plans for a tennis center in Vietnam. Surprised to see the plans, Vietnamese officials were told of the joke by the interpreter, which is why they never responded to Maria. Maria remained oblivious to the fact that Vietnam would have no use for a tennis center.

exactly how I got it. At least it should be clear to every healthy person that NO ONE would play tennis without balls :lol: Sadly the IQ of the forumers (especially mashabators) here is -100:shrug: If they read that Maria would like to build a castle out of shit, they would believe it literally:tape:

Well, enough time donated to these idiots:bigwave:

debby
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
VietNamNet Bridge – In early 2007, Sharapova, the famed Russian tennis beauty quietly visited Vietnam. She asked her driver to avoid major streets, lest she be noticed.
[...]
On the way to Lai Thieu in southern Vietnam, known for its orchards, the driver wound Sharapova around on a back country road. She was surprised at seeing many people playing tennis but couldn’t understand why they were playing without a ball. She asked the interpreter, whose face turned red and said “they love tennis but they are poor and can’t buy balls”.
[...]

Don't understand this extract I underlined --> She was surprised at seeing many people playing tennis but couldn’t understand why they were playing without a ball.

:confused: I don't get it...

And also, never heard this story before :o Come on, people, if it was true, I seriouly think Maria would be the first to speak about this. She is paid $20 millions and she federates a high and well-known image through the world... :tape:
When she created her foundation, who was the first to announce it ? Herself, I think... Why she would shut up about this project ? It would have amazing consequences about her popularity, her image...

She barely think EXCLUSIVELY to others... She would rather find her own interest also. It is sooo rare the desinterested actions nowadays unfortunately :tape:

JackWalker
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:38 PM
Big props to Maria if this story is true. A really nice and contribution she cam make to tennis, but most importantly to Vietnam!

Slumpsova
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM
so vietnamites have no right of playing tennis and enjoy themselves? :shrug:
they aren't interested. they have many things to work on over there.

morningglory
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM

You think it really couldn't have happened? I mean... plenty of celebs have these kinda silly stories about them... then again swatting mosquitos is CLEARLY different from playing tennis :o I doubt Maria would be that stupid, but maybe if she saw those people from a distance... maybe...

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if she decided to open a tennis academy some place in the future...

Marcell
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Mosquito Joke’s On Maria Sharapova

Posted on Feb 21, 2008

© Sara Quinnett

Maria Sharapova was convinced a town in Vietnam needed a tennis center after watching the residents try to play tennis, although they could not afford to purchase balls.

Trouble is, the townspeople were not attempting to play tennis. They were merely trying to catch mosquitos.

A misleading joke by her interpreter reportedly led Sharapova to believe that a town in Southern Vietnam was so impoverished that they could not afford balls, according to Russia’s Kommersant.

“Maria was surprised by the absence of balls and asked the interpreter,” wrote the paper on Thursday.

“But the interpreter didn’t explain that she saw not the tennis rackets but special catching rackets against mosquitoes. The answer was that the locals were too poor to afford the balls. A month later, the Tennis Federation of Vietnam received a letter from Sharapova that spelled out her project for launching a tennis training center there.”

Sharapova’s letter to Vietnam’s tennis association has reportedly gone unanswered.

Maria deserves to be commended for her desire to help the impoverished nation of Vietnam, and although it turned out that she was the victim of a joke, the people would still benefit from having additional tennis facilities.

slamchamp
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
they aren't interested. they have many things to work on over there.
szavaysova:hearts:

spiritedenergy
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Mosquito Joke’s On Maria Sharapova

Posted on Feb 21, 2008

© Sara Quinnett

Maria Sharapova was convinced a town in Vietnam needed a tennis center after watching the residents try to play tennis, although they could not afford to purchase balls.

Trouble is, the townspeople were not attempting to play tennis. They were merely trying to catch mosquitos.

A misleading joke by her interpreter reportedly led Sharapova to believe that a town in Southern Vietnam was so impoverished that they could not afford balls, according to Russia’s Kommersant.

“Maria was surprised by the absence of balls and asked the interpreter,” wrote the paper on Thursday.

“But the interpreter didn’t explain that she saw not the tennis rackets but special catching rackets against mosquitoes. The answer was that the locals were too poor to afford the balls. A month later, the Tennis Federation of Vietnam received a letter from Sharapova that spelled out her project for launching a tennis training center there.”

Sharapova’s letter to Vietnam’s tennis association has reportedly gone unanswered.

Maria deserves to be commended for her desire to help the impoverished nation of Vietnam, and although it turned out that she was the victim of a joke, the people would still benefit from having additional tennis facilities.

:lol: told ya:tape::help:

Brett.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
BLame that interpreter. LOL

slamchamp
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
yeah ok..are you gonna leave :shrug: ?

Dan23
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Whatever is the case here it doesnt change the fact that you're a pratt and Maria offered to help them off her own bat.

goldenlox
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
You don't know that. You don't know if Maria was ever in Vietnam.
It certainly sounds made up.

Dan23
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Where'd she go for her holiday at the end 2006? Somewhere like that wasnt it? Anyway why are people wasting their time writing articles that are pure :bs: ?

goldenlox
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
There was an article that she bought a place is Israel.

Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
I am just glad to see that Maria has such a large humanitarian side to her

Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
It is so good to have Internet again

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
great intentions even though it was a bad joke

Edward.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:14 AM

You are such a useless, aggravating ****.

Buitenzorg
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
I hope this is true and good onya maria :kiss:

DolceVita
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:20 AM
:hearts: Maria

Slumpsova
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:47 AM
oh poor Maria :haha:
this is the first time i feel sorry for her :hug: :sad:

vettipooh
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
It still doesn't explain whether or not she was actually in Vietnam! Did she see a tv show or a pic in an article? :lol: Trust me, if Maria had visited Vietnam. she would make sure all her fans knew about it...the writer of her blogs :tape: would have ran the story already. :lol:

debby
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
It still doesn't explain whether or not she was actually in Vietnam! Did she see a tv show or a pic in an article? :lol: Trust me, if Maria had visited Vietnam. she would make sure all her fans knew about it...the writer of her blogs :tape: would have ran the story already. :lol:

:worship: :worship:

But whatever.

I always have respected people who implicate so much for goods causes, I think very rich people like Hollywood stars, singers and sportsman/woman should help disadvantaged people... Come on dude, Maria is paid about $20 millions :tape: If she never helped the poorest, so... :help:

Sorry, it is my utopist side which reappears :o

spiritedenergy
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:47 PM

i hope she'll go to Vietnam finally and stay there forever playing tennis with no balls and mosquito-catching raquets... so much fun Dumbsha:bounce: And bring your mosquito fans along with you please:lol::tape:

slamchamp
Feb 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
i hope she'll go to Vietnam finally and stay there forever playing tennis with no balls and mosquito-catching raquets... so much fun Dumbsha:bounce: And bring your mosquito fans along with you please:lol::tape: lol spiritedenergy do u have to enter every thread about maria?:help:..even though i'm sure you're not gonna enter to the one saying "maria beats wozniacki 6-0 6-1" :lol:

spiritedenergy
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
lol spiritedenergy do u have to enter every thread about maria?:help:..even though i'm sure you're not gonna enter to the one saying "maria beats wozniacki 6-0 6-1" :lol:

I entered this thread that was ridiculous, not every thread:weirdo:

You are probably still pissed to have lost your face by believing and posting this story:lol::tape:

Slumpsova
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
slamchamp pleast stop attacking Sharapova haters. we have our own opionion/rights to hate on your player. please R-E-S-P-E-C-T that.

hotandspicey
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
i hope she'll go to Vietnam finally and stay there forever playing tennis with no balls and mosquito-catching raquets... so much fun Dumbsha:bounce: And bring your mosquito fans along with you please:lol::tape:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are stupid! :lol:

Lindsayfan32
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Here is another article about it that was on on the baseline yesterday. it funny but sweet at the same time.

Mosquito joke on Maria
A misleading joke by her interpreter reportedly led Sharapova to believe that a town in Southern Vietnam was so impoverished that they could not afford balls, according to Russia’s Kommersant (http://www.kommersant.com/p-12105/r_530/Sharapova_Vietnam/).