PDA

View Full Version : I must say, I am a bit concerned with Amelie Mauresmo

aguy9797
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I took her a really loooong time to get to the No 1 a couple of sessons ago.( she was, what 26??)I am afraid she will have a hard time collecting herself, and overcoming this horrible start of the sesson. Do you people think she will be back? I have my doubts.

danieln1
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
She has the game and the talent to go back where she belongs, top 3, but her main problem is mental... I´m not a bit concerned, i´m HUGE concerned....

Venus+Serena#1fan
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I don't think Mauresmo is top 3 material but she can certainly get back to a higher level.

She is a great athlete with a stylish game but despite her variety and ability, I don't see her beating the very elite players if they are at their best.

Venus, Serena, Justine, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova and others IMO can def take her out and overpower her if they play well.
It will be interesting to see how she does the rest of the year she really is talented and a nice person.

serenus_2k8
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I want to see her move back up, but I think its getting more and more unlikely. It might just be she is taking a bit longer to find her game (perhaps because of her age) but one great tourny could do her the world of good and get her confidence back up again.

matty
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think she can get back to top 10 for sure. She needs to maybe find her love for the game again-seems like she's put too much pressure on herself. But in the end, very few players ever reach that #1 spot, so that is an amazing achievment that she should be proud of.

Please, don't be so hard on yourself, Amelie, you are a great talent and seem like a very nice women, too! Give yourself a break!

markdelaney
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Amelie was only a top 5 player who would get to a semi final of a slam at best. 2006 she got lucky with all the top players injured or off form and achieved world number 1 and 2 slams, so I guess her motivation and ambition just can't get her back up to the top 5 now. I wish her luck

The Daviator
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:09 PM
She took a break after Wimbledon, and she's just not been the same since she's returned, she played a brilliant match against Henin at Eastbourne, but that's the last time she played like normal Momo, I don't know why her confidence is so low, you'd think after winning the Slams she'd get better in that department not worse :confused:

Young 8
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
when you lose against some garbage like Tanusagarn....you should think to retire from tennis........

VishaalMaria
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Amelie was only a top 5 player who would get to a semi final of a slam at best. 2006 she got lucky with all the top players injured or off form and achieved world number 1 and 2 slams, so I guess her motivation and ambition just can't get her back up to the top 5 now. I wish her luck

:tape::tape::tape:

The Australian Open is at the start of the year. Players should feel refreshed ,extra motivated to win the first slam of the year, and be healthy. It's not Mauresmo's fault that three of her opponents weren't healthy. What was she supposed to do? Tell the tournament organisers to get her healthy opponents? :tape::tape: As for Wimbledon, Amelie beat a fully healthy Justine in the finals. Justine came off winning Roland Garros and had all the confidence in the world whereas Amelie lost to Vaidisova in front of her home crowd. Amelie won both slams fair and square and truly deserved that number one spot because she was the best at that time.

I find it so pathetic that people can't see that. And I'm not even an Amelie Mauresmo fan.

As for her current form right now, she'll do her best when the times right. She's getting match practice and is trying to find her form. Give her time.

frenchie
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM
She's currently playing like shit! That's the problem for her...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Her game right now is running from side to side, hitting moonballs, and making DFs!:tape:
Her FH:help::help:

Ben.
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
ever since I saw her play at the GC & at the AO she's been playing too much defensive style tennis which I think may be her downfall. but then again she's not to confident at the moment to play with agression & it's just a matter of winning matches again & hopefully these losses will teach her something.

I really want amelie to comeback at her best.

Helen Lawson
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I don't think she ever got lucky, I think she was unlucky most of her career, actually. That WB final she played was brilliant, no luck and no chokes.

My thoughts for what they're worth is that she's done everything in tennis she ever wanted, perhaps exceeded them, and she's not into it anymore and she's someone who can't play like a robot, she has to have something driving her, and it's no longer there.

Kworb
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Mauresmo wasn't "lucky" to win her Slams. :rolleyes: She is a superb player when she plays her best, I'd rank her in the top 20 greatest players of the Open Era. Unfortunately she hasn't been able to find her game lately.

moby
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM
she's someone who can't play like a robotI'm not sure such a player ever existed though. :shrug:

Lots of players go through a period where they lack motivation. Some get the hunger back, some don't. She just needs to figure it out. My opinion is that a few more ass-kickings will piss her off and fire her up. :p

bwahahahahaha
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Only 'a bit'?

aguy9797
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Mauresmo wasn't "lucky" to win her Slams. :rolleyes: She is a superb player when she plays her best, I'd rank her in the top 20 greatest players of the Open Era. Unfortunately she hasn't been able to find her game lately.

I agree, had nothing to do with luck, she put together a great run, very athletic, precise, mature tennis, I miss it a lot!

bwahahahahaha
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM

All she did to win the AO was to reach the semis :tape:

Neptune
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Mauresmo is an amazing player when she's "on".She is a natural server and volleyer, which is very rare nowadays.She won Wmbledon by going to the net constantly,which is to notice because the Grass became very slow since a few years.She can regroup herself and find a decent level.I think right now her main problem is her confidence.She looks very anxious when she's playing.I hope she will come back this year.She needs to win some good matchs before.

V.Melb
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I think people are over reacting a bit.

Mauresmo is an amazing player and should normally beat Tanasugarn, but not only was her opponent in form, but its a player she has struggled with in the past.
No, that doesn't mean that Tanasugarn is Mauresmo's equal, but Tanasugarn knows how to play Mauresmo, and is veteran enough to know when to take her opportunities, thats how Tammy has beaten Mauresmo before. Mauresmo was obviously not playing her best, but that is tennis... thats the sport.

Mauresmo will bounce back from this in my opinion. She is talented enough to come back strong.

Helen Lawson
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure such a player ever existed though. :shrug:

Lots of players go through a period where they lack motivation. Some get the hunger back, some don't. She just needs to figure it out. My opinion is that a few more ass-kickings will piss her off and fire her up. :p

Maybe she will face a humiliating loss and come around. But I can think of quite a few humiliating losses she's already endured and it's getting no better!
By the robot comment, I meant, like going through the motions, a lot of top people can make quarters consistently and stuff, particularly with all her talent. She's not even doing that.

dylan24
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
momochoko is toast. finished.
she should retire now

dylan24
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
when you lose against some garbage like Tanusagarn....you should think to retire from tennis........

i totally agree
double T is garbage indeed and momo is the same if not worse than TT

LUXXXAS
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
She's currently playing like shit! That's the problem for her...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Her game right now is running from side to side, hitting moonballs, and making DFs!:tape:
Her FH:help::help:
yeah that's true... she needs to play more agressive like before. Now she's playing ike Smashnova :/

theDreamer
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
She has the game and the talent to go back where she belongs, top 3, but her main problem is mental... Im not a bit concerned, im HUGE concerned....

Mauresmo doesn't belong in the top 3.:wavey:

toasino
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM

To call Tnausagarin garbage is both stupid and nasty. Perhaps the garbage description is more appropriate to you.

Pasta-Na
Feb 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM
many new trolls here :o

markdelaney
Feb 20th, 2008, 10:00 PM

The Australian Open is at the start of the year. Players should feel refreshed ,extra motivated to win the first slam of the year, and be healthy. It's not Mauresmo's fault that three of her opponents weren't healthy. What was she supposed to do? Tell the tournament organisers to get her healthy opponents? :tape::tape: As for Wimbledon, Amelie beat a fully healthy Justine in the finals. Justine came off winning Roland Garros and had all the confidence in the world whereas Amelie lost to Vaidisova in front of her home crowd. Amelie won both slams fair and square and truly deserved that number one spot because she was the best at that time.

no it isn't her fault, all I said was she got lucky and she clearly did as she never even made a slam final between 2000 and 2005 and hasn't done since being world number 1 in 2006.Sometimes you need luck, but her head to heads against Lindsay 4-13 and Serena 2-9 don't lie.
Bartoli also beat a fit Henin at Wimbledon just after she'd won the french,it doesn't make her one of the best 2 players in the world though.

Amelie worked hard and in 2006 it paid off and good luck to her but to expect her to get back there again is not feasible as her true top ranking is between 3-5

theDreamer
Feb 20th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Maybe she will face a humiliating loss and come around. But I can think of quite a few humiliating losses she's already endured and it's getting no better!
By the robot comment, I meant, like going through the motions, a lot of top people can make quarters consistently and stuff, particularly with all her talent. She's not even doing that.

This is exactly why I think her "talent" is overated. Surely, if she's that talented,
she shouldn't need to be "full of confidence" to beat low ranked opposition. In fact, she should
be using wins over low ranked to gain confidence - which is required to beat the top players.

I think people just go on about her "talent" because she can serve and volley. But serve and volley
is not the be all and end all of today's game.

What good is "talent" if you can't win? :shrug:

theDreamer
Feb 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
no it isn't her fault, all I said was she got lucky and she clearly did as she never even made a slam final between 2000 and 2005 and hasn't done since being world number 1 in 2006.Sometimes you need luck, but her head to heads against Lindsay 4-13 and Serena 2-9 don't lie.
Bartoli also beat a fit Henin at Wimbledon just after she'd won the french,it doesn't make her one of the best 2 players in the world though.

Amelie worked hard and in 2006 it paid off and good luck to her but to expect her to get back there again is not feasible as her true top ranking is between 3-5

Totally agree with everything you said.

fammmmedspin
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Not sure what she has to go for. She's done the GS and number 1. She's going to find it hard to do either again. There seems to be a trend to short careers when you have had the big succss you aimed for and it doesn't look possible to repeat.

theDreamer
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM
Not sure what she has to go for. She's done the GS and number 1. She's going to find it hard to do either again. There seems to be a trend to short careers when you have had the big succss you aimed for and it doesn't look possible to repeat.

Personally, I'm not sure what the problem with her is. IMO, she shouldn't have to go for anything - she's done enough already. She should just go out there and enjoy herself playing good tennis, but it seems she can't even do this.

Maybe she's putting too much pressure on herself,
or maybe she's just run out of good tennis to play...:awww:

Bruno71
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
This is exactly why I think her "talent" is overated. Surely, if she's that talented,
she shouldn't need to be "full of confidence" to beat low ranked opposition. In fact, she should
be using wins over low ranked to gain confidence - which is required to beat the top players.

I think people just go on about her "talent" because she can serve and volley. But serve and volley
is not the be all and end all of today's game.

What good is "talent" if you can't win? :shrug:

Exactly which player that could be described as supremely talented hasn't at least occasionally had struggles with lesser competition? Justine has losses to Garbin, Daniilidou, Safarova, and many others on her resume. Serena's been beaten by Craybas and Sun. Venus to Pironkova, Maria to Rezai, etc. I can't think of anyone currently.

Matt01
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM
I think people just go on about her "talent" because she can serve and volley.

Yes, that must be it :rolleyes:

slamchamp
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM
well lately she can't serve as she used to

wateva
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
the garbage will probably achieve much more than you ever will. :rolleyes:
how rude...

Summer_Snow
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:06 AM
the garbage will probably achieve much more than you ever will. :rolleyes:
how rude...

Well said :worship:

brodle1
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM

I find it so pathetic that people can't see that. And I'm not even an Amelie Mauresmo fan.

As for her current form right now, she'll do her best when the times right. She's getting match practice and is trying to find her form. Give her time.

I was thinking the same thing! I don't understand why her Wimby win is so discounted. Henin was playing great, had heaps of confidence, and took a lot of shit due to the Aus Open retirement (where Amelie was ULTRA-CLASSY in her reaction to the whole situation) and probably was super-motivated to beat Mauresmo just to shut the critics up...but instead Mauresmo played a great match and won. I don't get it.

maumau
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
:spit:

Yonexforever
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM

Well said... it needs to be said LOUDER actually!
:worship:

*Jean*
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
She just has NO confidence in her game, she's affraid to hit the ball, and doesn't produce anything anymore :sad: Lost for lost, she MUST hit the ball harder and not just hit the ball back...She lacks of power :sad:

Serenidad.
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM
This girl is a lost cause. Nadia Petrova could 6-0 6-0 her. :help:

I expect her retirement November 08. Good thing she finally won those two slams and least she won't be a TOTAL failure.

mariahdg
Feb 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM
I expect her retirement November 08. Good thing she finally won those two slams and least she won't be a TOTAL failure.

I expect you retire from wtaworld rightnow :kiss:

markdelaney
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
I was thinking the same thing! I don't understand why her Wimby win is so discounted. Henin was playing great, had heaps of confidence, and took a lot of shit due to the Aus Open retirement (where Amelie was ULTRA-CLASSY in her reaction to the whole situation) and probably was super-motivated to beat Mauresmo just to shut the critics up...but instead Mauresmo played a great match and won. I don't get it.

The problem is anyone who watched the Wimbledon final in 2006 just saw one set of superlative tennis from Henin and then saw her make unforced error after unforced error. Shots under no pressure were repeatedly going into the net and as often seen in Henin's matches, her form dropped alarmingly, only this time it never came back (like her match with Bartoli). So while it was great to see Amelie win, the result was more because of Henin's decline rather than Mauresmo playing better after the first set. If you just look at the score it would suggest Amelie fought back tremendously but the unforced error count doesn't lie, nor do Amelie's career results and grand slam achievements in every other year.

Amelie's win at Wimbledon can be compared to Conchita Martinez, who benefited from a less competitive year and well done to her, but she was clearly never going to come close to winning it again. Even in 2006 Amelie lost all three matches she played against Kuznetsova in comfortable straight sets, not the kind of results a world number one player/double slam winner should have and the US open semi final where she lost two 6-0 sets to Sharapova speaks volumes.

I'm not having a go at Amelie Mauresmo, just stating that expecting her to win slams and be world number one again, is unrealistic.

Personally I'd love to see her get back up the rankings as she is such an exciting player to watch. She doesn't just scream everytime she hits the ball at 200 kph and have a mono dimensional game like so many top players

winnermax
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
I'm afraid that Amelie,Patty schneyder and Nadia Petrova are going down..........

Bruno71
Feb 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM
The problem is anyone who watched the Wimbledon final in 2006 just saw one set of superlative tennis from Henin and then saw her make unforced error after unforced error. Shots under no pressure were repeatedly going into the net and as often seen in Henin's matches, her form dropped alarmingly, only this time it never came back (like her match with Bartoli). So while it was great to see Amelie win, the result was more because of Henin's decline rather than Mauresmo playing better after the first set. If you just look at the score it would suggest Amelie fought back tremendously but the unforced error count doesn't lie, nor do Amelie's career results and grand slam achievements in every other year.

Amelie's win at Wimbledon can be compared to Conchita Martinez, who benefited from a less competitive year and well done to her, but she was clearly never going to come close to winning it again. Even in 2006 Amelie lost all three matches she played against Kuznetsova in comfortable straight sets, not the kind of results a world number one player/double slam winner should have and the US open semi final where she lost two 6-0 sets to Sharapova speaks volumes.

I'm not having a go at Amelie Mauresmo, just stating that expecting her to win slams and be world number one again, is unrealistic.

Personally I'd love to see her get back up the rankings as she is such an exciting player to watch. She doesn't just scream everytime she hits the ball at 200 kph and have a mono dimensional game like so many top players

And what about her semifinal Wimbledon win over Maria? Or beating Clijsters at Antwerp and the YEC? You can call 2006 a down year without a major presence from the Williams sisters (who, one of which, Amelie beat at the US Open as well). But she certainly didn't lack for quality performances and a lofty, slam-winning level of play.

theDreamer
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Exactly which player that could be described as supremely talented hasn't at least occasionally had struggles with lesser competition? Justine has losses to Garbin, Daniilidou, Safarova, and many others on her resume. Serena's been beaten by Craybas and Sun. Venus to Pironkova, Maria to Rezai, etc. I can't think of anyone currently.

The keyword there is "occasionally". When last did mauresmo get into the latter stages to play
a fellow top player? (Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Eastbourne last year) That's a pretty
long stretch of struggles with lesser competition don't you think?

Mauresmo is talented, definitely, but not even close to being "supremely" so.

Bruno71
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
The keyword there is "occasionally". When last did mauresmo get into the latter stages to play
a fellow top player? (Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Eastbourne last year) That's a pretty

That could be chalked up to a bad, long slump; a lack of concentration or motivation; or signs of age, no? How does that have any bearing on her talent, which she's proven in the years prior beyond reproach in my opinion.

Il Primo!
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Personally, I'm not sure what the problem with her is. IMO, she shouldn't have to go for anything - she's done enough already. She should just go out there and enjoy herself playing good tennis, but it seems she can't even do this.

Maybe she's putting too much pressure on herself,
or maybe she's just run out of good tennis to play...:awww:

Mauresmo is talented, definitely, but not even close to being "supremely" so.

:worship::worship:

Wayn77
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Amelie has always been a player of the highest class, of that there is no doubt. Soo many options coming forward mid-court, the weapons and technique to dominate and out-class many opponents in that region. Both of them unconvincing - I was still dreading a possible third-round AO meeting for JJ against Amelie.

Mauresmo's coaching staff, so supportive and patient throughout her career, have a major job to arrest this slump. It is the manner of some of these defeats against "lesser" opponents which is concerning. Without ever hitting top form, Mauresmo gets comfortably in-front - has a little crisis, goes over-defensive and then let's it slide horribly.

Hoping Amelie can turn it around.

jonny84
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Her year last year was horrible for her - losing early at the slams and being dogged with injury. She is still warming up and probably not in the right mind set yet.

ce
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM

:haha:
:spit:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM
I want to see her move back up, but I think its getting more and more unlikely. It might just be she is taking a bit longer to find her game (perhaps because of her age) but one great tourny could do her the world of good and get her confidence back up again.

that is also what i believe :)

Medina
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
She lost to Dellaqua no chance :lol:

mariahdg
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM

GET A HEAD-MRI :wavey:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM

while i agree that 06 was an off year for some top players...she beat masha and jh to win her wimby title...two fierce competitors and the mental midget held her nerve for 2 consecutive 3-setters to win against those two...while we still weren't sure because of how her AO title ended :tape: her wimby title was all due to her mentality....in the semi she won the first but then lost the second, and previous losses to rena at that stage could have come back to haunt her and would have been particularly bad against the steely masha, but she won that...then she lost the 1st set 6-2 to jh in the final and could have quickly thought to herself that maybe her only GS win would come due to retirement and play horribly till she lost but she didn't...she held it together and won quite convincingly, especially in the 3rd set when it came down to crunch time and you all but expected her to crumble...yet again she outsteeled (is that a word?) another of the toughest people and she won....so even if you can't count her AO title...that wimby title took some guts and mental fortitude on her part cause its not like she played players she was guaranteed to beat and was definitely mentally stronger than...

theDreamer
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
That could be chalked up to a bad, long slump; a lack of concentration or motivation; or signs of age, no? How does that have any bearing on her talent, which she's proven in the years prior beyond reproach in my opinion.

She's proven she's talented, I agree.
But as I mentioned before, I just feel her talent is a tad overrated. :shrug:

bwahahahahaha
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM

So disrespectful but :spit::haha::spit:

Talula
Feb 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
I don't think she ever got lucky, I think she was unlucky most of her career, actually. That WB final she played was brilliant, no luck and no chokes.

My thoughts for what they're worth is that she's done everything in tennis she ever wanted, perhaps exceeded them, and she's not into it anymore and she's someone who can't play like a robot, she has to have something driving her, and it's no longer there.

I think that about sums it up.

I still think that there's another slam in Amelie if she wants it.

VishaalMaria
Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM

Well is it her fault if she got "lucky"? And it's not like some random player came up and won the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Amelie made the AO final in 1997 showing alot of promise on the surface and in recent years prior to 2006 Amelie has gone really deep at Wimbledon before she finally won the slam. So I use the term "lucky" loosely......acutally...I don't use it at all. Amelie deserved those slams if not for her dedication and hard work. In saying that it doesnt matter what her head to head is with other players, I dont see the relevance.

Yes, Bartoli did beat a fit Henin at Wimbledon, but like I said, Amelie had shown prior ability to play on grass before 2006. If you ask me it was a matter of when, not if, till she did get her Wimbledon title.

Talent doesnt just disappear. Thats why I believe Amelie can and will get back to how she was playing in 2006. And if you ask me, she'll do that at Wimbledon. Although I hope it's earlier.