PDA

View Full Version : Why have Svetlana and Ana changed places this week?

JayCeeParis
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I would like to know why Svetlana has moved up and Ana has dropped down, I can't find a logical reason for the following situation :

- Svetlana Kuznetsova +1 > #2
- Ana Ivanovic -1 > #3

but neither of them played last week . . .
and neither of them seems to have lost points . . .
as they had no points to defend ???

Perhaps the WTA is playing musical chairs?

Can someone enlighten me please?

cocco80
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
As a result of her non-participation in a Tour event last week, Ana has moved down one place to No.3 in the latest rankings list. She loses the points she earned from reaching the quarter-finals of the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp last year.

The points decay sees the 20-year-old overtaken by Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova. The gap between the two players is a meagre two points, and with Ana defending no points during her next two tournaments in Doha and Dubai, she looks well-placed to regain the No.2 ranking imminently.

In fact, Ana has just 66 points to defend between now and the end of the Miami tournament in April; Kuznetsova has 725.

In the Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships Singles Standings Ana remains at No.2, despite Justine Henin's victory in Antwerp at the weekend. The Belgian moves to No.3

source: www.anaivanovic.com

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Ana had 70 points to defend from Antwerp QF last year.

JayCeeParis
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply and the very interesting information.
Nice to see tha Ana will soon be back to her #2 place.
Absolutely right, Ana reached the QF last year in Antwerp, Zvetlana wasn't there. Sorry, I zapped that one. Thanks again.