PDA

View Full Version : Up and comers with one hand backhand?

shell
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Well, who is out there that is going to continue the strong tradition of the beautiful one hander? Your thoughts...

Junex
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:16 AM
That is interesting to know...
i never know anyone younger than Masha who is a one hander on the bh....

switz
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Justine hasn't inspired too girls in that department it would seem. i guess reality is that unless it's a spectacular shot (ala Henin or Mauresmo) i one handed backhand is a weaker shot in todays game.

i still maintain the ability to hit a one handed slice backhand is a very worthwhile shot for the girls to keep.

shell
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Justine hasn't inspired too girls in that department it would seem. i guess reality is that unless it's a spectacular shot (ala Henin or Mauresmo) i one handed backhand is a weaker shot in todays game.

i still maintain the ability to hit a one handed slice backhand is a very worthwhile shot for the girls to keep.

Yep, that is my fear. And I agree with you. But my hope would be that the sucess of Justine and Mauresmo would have inspired some young players to develop my favorite shot and the all court style that usually goes with it. I'm hoping that it is not a dying breed...

Serenidad.
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:30 AM
If you think about the other girls with 1BH is it a liability except for two players. It's nice to hit the 1handed slice.

But ASV was hyping some girl from Spain saying she was the next Henin. Dunno how true that is but she has a 1HB. I think her name is Carla something something something.

Uranium
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Carla Suarez Navarro

shell
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I've not heard of her, but will try to follow her a bit. She just had a decent win this week.

mankind
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:28 AM
How depressing.

Iceland
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
This is a thread like that every three weeks :lol:. You can add Nathalie Mohn (16 y.o) on the list, she can play top 300 on clay ... but that's all for the moment. :tape:

slamchamp
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
well if justine inspires grils to play with a 1HB, then those girls are way too young yet..maybe we'll see some of them in the future :p

jamatthews
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
This is a thread like that every three weeks

Exactly what I was thinking. :lol:

Girls with 1 Handed Backhands take longer to develop don't they? You aren't going to see them rocket up the rankings in the same way players with 2 Handed Backhands do.

willrock
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Carla Suarez Navarro (breaking through in Bogota this week) and Nathalie Mohn are pretty much the only ones.
Who can think of another one? :unsure:

*hingis_forever*
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
18 year old Naomi Broady is 6'1 and has a one handed backhand.

Shonami Slam
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
like stated already - it's a shot that takes longer to develope for top100 material.

the girls with a forehande big enough to enter top100 without anything on the backhand at all usually play two handed and badly.

for all we care - Mirza can start playing single handed both sides if that makes you happy.
bottom line - i enjoy the beauty of the shot anyway, even if it doesn't help rocket up the ranks.

shell
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the names, I was not familiar with any of them so I will keep my eyes on them.

And as for the rankings - I agree about the development time. Wasn't expecting top 10 or even top 100 tomorrow, just because they have a 1HB. But I am glad to hear there are a few out on the fringes that may turn into someone to watch out for.

Oh, and I searched - nothing much for over 6 months, and not exactly the same post. Sorry if I have duplicated something.