PDA

View Full Version : I read Caroline Wozniacki is Polish, both her parents

aguy9797
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
represented Polish national teams (football, volleyball) that would make the last three Wimbledon Junior Champions from Poland Radwanska-Wozniacki-Radwanska, no?

yukon145
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
she was born in Demark, grew up in Denmark, plays for Denmark.

AlwaysGraf
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
well there's enough polish in the uk at the minute its no wonder they're racking up wimbledon titles aswell

btw this is a joke meant in good jest :)

gumoll
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
she is Danish ;)

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM
she is danish with polish blood

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I think Katarzyna Piter has an excellent shot at the Wimbledon junior title this year which would make it four years in a row that the Wimbledon girls title went to a girl with Polish parents. :eek:

switz
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:00 PM
yeah i tend to think if you're born, raised and a citizen of a country it's quite safe to say you're from that country :o

Cp6uja
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM
So far only TOP10/TOP15 player ever with both her Polish parents is Alicia Molik... but in next 5 years i expect some dramatic changes.

Slutati
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Alicia Molik's parents are Polish?never knew...

gumoll
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I think only her mother is :scratch:

but not sure :shrug:

gumoll
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Aleksandra Wozniak's parents are both polish :)

Angelique Kerber's parents are also polish...

switz
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:36 AM
My parents are not Polish but I am half Polish :confused:

aguy9797
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:33 AM
right, Alicia Molik's parents are Polish. Alicia actually speaks very good Polish

polishprodigy
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Other players from other countries with Polish parents:

*Gabriela Dambrowski (Canada)
*Laura Pola (Canada)
*Izabella Glinska (Canada)
*Monique Adamczak (Australia) (born in Poland if I am not mistaken)

I watched Caroline play and her father speaks to her in English and Polish. He calls her "Karolina" or "Karolinka". But she is Danish with Polish descent.

polishprodigy
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Random fact: Former Miss Panama and Miss Universe (after that Russian girl gave up the title) Justine Pasek had a Polish father. Her last name translates to "belt" ;) She was commonly known by "Justyna" :)

polishprodigy
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:31 AM
well there's enough polish in the uk at the minute its no wonder they're racking up wimbledon titles aswell

btw this is a joke meant in good jest :)

Apparently more Poles in Ireland though ;)

hablo
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Lisicki is Polish too, apparently.

Pasta-Na
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:50 AM
right, Alicia Molik's parents are Polish. Alicia actually speaks very good Polish

:eek: alicia.

papru
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM
yes Karolina is Polish-Danish she always says she knows where she is from ;) She was even asked to play for Poland some years ago but she said 'No thank you' :p I am not surprised :lol:

Dexter
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Ula Radwańska is Polish even though she was born in Germany and speaks German. Scary things these little Poles are. :scared:

Bruno71
Feb 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Both my parents were raised in Poland and speak Polish to each other. I don't speak a lick of Polish (OK, a few odd "fun" words ;) ) and I've never been to Poland. Am I Polish?

gumoll
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
you are like Wozniacki :p

gumoll
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I think Paszek is in 1/8 polish :scratch:

Slumpsova
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM
sounds like everyone with "k" in their name are Polish. maybe Nakamura is Polish too.

gumoll
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
:rolls:

Dexter
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
sounds like everyone with "k" in their name are Polish. maybe Nakamura is Polish too.Nikole?

A'DAM
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Caroline speaks perfect Polish. She said that she talks with her maprens in Polish.

shrOOf
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Lisicki is Polish too, apparently.

no.

aguy9797
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
no.

do you know where her family is from originally, by any chance? Just curious, and Lisicki does not strike me as a very german name

aguy9797
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
actually it turnes out Wozniacki has a Polish citizenship as well

Ksenia.
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
My parents are both Russians but i was born and raised in Estonia, and i'm Estonian citizen... so it's not the matter of descent, it's the matter of what country do you feel you belong

BMP
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I also read at the other forum that Caro has a Polish passport, and in fact she is NOT a Danish citizen because according to the Danish law the citizenship is "acquired by virtue of the birth of a child whose father or mother is Danish". http://www.polishforums.com/caroline_wozniacki_best_polish-15_4737_0.html Is it true? If so, that's quite unfair. They should grant her the citizenship for what she is doing for the country.

And her name should be "Karolina Woźniacka" in Polish. But it seems that children of emigrants usually get their fathers' last names that aren't modified in accordance with their gender. That's how it obviously was with Golovin, Lisicki and other girls with last names of this kind.

I guess she chose to represent Denmak because she was born and raised there, and maybe their pay her more ;) She seems to be on good terms with Radwanska and Domachowska.

hablo
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM
no.

That's what I read recently. :shrug:

Tennis ace Mauresmo builds up new head of steam

by Richard Eaton 1 hour, 1 minute ago

DOHA, Feb 18, 2008 (AFP) - Amelie Mauresmo, who had won only eight matches since losing her Wimbledon title last July, continued what she hopes is the building of a comeback when she reached the second round of the Qatar Open here Monday.

The former world number one from France won 7-6, 6-3 against Sabine Lisicki, the 18-year-old Poland-born German, in a tournament whose 2,500,000 dollars prize money has helped elevate it to tier one status on the WTA Tour for the first time.

It was a far from easy opening match for someone whose confidence has inevitably been affected by a lengthy injury-affected slump, for Lisicki marked her Fed Cup debut for her adopted home country a fortnight ago by beating another former world number one, Lindsay Davenport.

Still outside the top 100 and entering the tournament as a wild card, Lisicki also struck the ball hard and boldly and played with the light-heartedness of someone who seemed to be certain she will soon acquire the ranking to be a permanent part of the tour.

But Mauresmo had a grimmer look, perhaps conscious of the fact that, well into her 29th year, she needs to be making progress now if she is to have many further great moments ahead of her.

"It's always hard when you are in the middle of a struggle like this to step back and realize that so many players have had these moments and come back even stronger," admitted Mauresmo.

"But at least my confidence is growing every time I win. This was definitely not the best I have been - but I am fighting."

"I thought I started pretty slow. I got broken in the first game but while coming back there were definitely a few moments I was not happy about.

"I thought it got a little better, but she's a good player and I really had to fight. I'm just happy to have won and I thought the second half of the match was much better."

Mauresmo won the first set after failing to convert a set point in the twelfth game and being forced into a tie-breaker. But she squeezed out of that with the help of erratic moments from the teenager on her first pair of service points.

She might have slipped into trouble had she followed the loss of her service game for 3-3 in the second set by falling behind.

But from 40-love down on Lisicki's serve Mauresmo fashioned a sudden recovery which turned the match. It was started by a Lisicki double fault and continued by good returns and enterprising net attacks from Mauresmo.

From that moment the 12th seed was on top, holding for 5-3, and returning well again to complete the contest with a sequence of three winning games.

Mauresmo's movement looked good at this stage, lending substance to her contention that she has recovered not only from the groin problem which made her withdraw from the Sydney tournament last month, but from all her ailments of the past eight months.

Asked whether it was bad luck that she should have suffered such a sequence, or whether the setbacks were related to each other, Mauresmo claimed the schedule required of much a top level touring professional.

"Some are back luck and some are related," she said. "What we do is difficult for the body. We play week in and week out, surfaces change all the time, and the body has to adjust and adapt.

"There are planes and jet lag, changing continents every couple of months, so when you have been doing that for a few years it starts to affect the body."

She next plays Tamarine Tanasugarn, the world number 98 from Thailand.

aguy9797
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
lisicki "Sabine Lisicki, the 18-year-old Poland-born German, in a tournament whose 2,500,000"[/I]
haha, yeah..she is another Polish chick..wow, they would have a nice team if all those girls play for Poland!!

shrOOf
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sabine Lisicki was born in Troisdorf, Germany.

So nothing with Poland-born. ;)

Residence Berlin/Germany
Birth Date 22/09/1989
Birthplace Troisdorf/Germany