PDA

View Full Version : Ai Sugiyama def Agnes Szavay 7:6 6:0

aguy9797
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ai Sugiyama killed Agnes 7:6 6:0!!! Agnes?? It looks like we are going to witness a painful downhill of our hungarian starlet

Effy
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:38 PM
give her freaking break :rolleyes:

martin white
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM
congrats ai! fantastic win,she will face ayumi morita next.

Mic-190286
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
It's weird, rubbish start to the season then solid play in Paris beating Daniela & Elena and giving Anna a good run for her money, and now back to bizarre losses.
:confused:

matty
whoa, kind of unexpected, but happy for Ai!

Rollo
Don't be too surprised if Agnes has a case of the "sophomore slump" this year. It's common for stars who have breakout years to follow it up with some lows. In most cases it just means they are adjusting to the tour, not to mention higher expectations. Szavay may be putting too much pressure on herself.

Have some faithif you're a fan-even if this year is aletdown she may bounce back.

ViennaCalling
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Ai :eek: Congrats :yeah:

Szavay is a little bit inconsistent this season ... one good week in Paris, but then nothing :help: :tape:

SloKid
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
:lol: Well done, Ai. :D

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
well done sugi! theres still life in the old dog yet.

szavay hmmmmmmmmmmm well this only adds fuel to the fire of people who think szavays a flash in the pan or not gonna make the big time.

Elwin.
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
:spit:

Well done Ai :D

Nicolas
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Ai :woohoo: Each win of vet. players like Ai is so sweet to hear! :D

Helen Lawson
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'm starting to think Polish Agnes will be better than Hungarian Agnes.

Jojo_
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
WOOooow Congrats Ai !!! Good job !!:woohoo:

C. Drone
after paris final she wrote in her blog, she has some pain in her shoulder. this explain the crappy serve stats.

Tamus
Nothing's "wrong" with her; she's just overrated.

Kobra
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
:spit: :lol:

Ai :woohoo: What a great performance!

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Starting to be worrying for Agnes.

Dave.
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Ai :worship::worship::hearts:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
:lol:

Congrats Ai.

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
:haha: , great Ai!!

C. Drone
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
bagel. honestly, she deserved it. :sad:

Agi! go home, get rest, find a good psychiater, and come back for the clay season.

Pasta-Na
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Don't be too surprised if Agnes has a case of the "sophomore slump" this year. It's common for stars who have breakout years to follow it up with some lows. In most cases it just means they are adjusting to the tour, not to mention higher expectations. Szavay may be putting too much pressure on herself.

Have some faithif you're a fan-even if this year is aletdown she may bounce back.

shuai has been in sophomore slump for 2 to 3 years now :rolls:

ElusiveChanteuse
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Well done Ai!:yeah:
Agnes :cuckoo: :tape:

Peterk07
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Outch... this hurts. Agi. :mad:

Congrats Ai, you were in Antwerp doubles final on sunday, and now a great win on tuesday in Doha. Great job!

Agi. :mad: I'm starting to believe her coach. He said Agnes will need a "settlement" year in 2008 because she has arrived too quickly, having no time to get used to new circumstances. Anyway, it's obvious she has problems starting tournaments in MD.

Nevermind Agi, keep working, the game is there. Give yourself a little time, you'll regroup and you'll put together those blody serves again.

Michael!
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Nice win Ai :D
Szavay has reached the final in Paris, but the rest of 2008 :help:

Iceland
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Again a R1 exit for Agi.
It reminds me of Aravane last year. R1 losses everytime except a brilliant tournament in Istanbul.

Beat
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
:scratch: not a good sign for szavay.
but congrats to ai.

jerryxiao1988
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
:sad::hug: Agnes, regain your form soon.
Congrats, Ai.

-sugi-
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Ai :hug: :woohoo:.

Excellent win which has come out of nowhere. Now vs Morita :sad:
Hopefully Ai can get revenge from her losses to Ayumi in Birmingham and Seoul.

Pasta-Na
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Again a R1 exit for Agi.
It reminds me of Aravane last year. R1 losses everytime except a brilliant tournament in Istanbul.

go shopping with shuai peng now, agnes :fiery:

both of them lost in AO R1 too :o

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Szavay :o

I still dont think shes a flash in the pan, she may go backwards this year but IMO shes got too much game to disappear

Dexter
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Poor Agnes. :( Once againa player after a magnificent 'breakthrough-year' has a bad slump. :( Her Paris run looks like a fluke, though it wasn't.

Duramont
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Great victory for Ai! :bigclap: :dance:

She is usually playing good tennis at these tournaments. :)

Dodoboy.
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Agnes :(:sad:

Helaena
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
agnes :hug:

IanRadi
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Yessss!!! Ai! :banana: Playing well again :D

matanuriel
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Agnes :( What happened?

ChampLindsay
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Sugiyama:worship:

Ellery
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Ai :worship:

Peterk07
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I think Agi needs to adopt to the elite. Normally a talented player has a year or more to get used to higher expectations. Players don't raise their rankings this fast. It's strange to say, but her "problem" is her success. She has jumped over the 50-100 range, that could have helped her prepare for being an "elite" player. In the middle of june 2007 she was outside the 100, and two and half months later she entered top20. That was too fast. Eight months ago Agi had to play qualifications to play at TIER4 events. A completely different schedule, different rythm, etc. If she won a match against a TOP30-40 player it was a great success. Now, a few months later everyone expects it. And if she looses, it's a big fiasco. I think this is pretty difficult to handle mentally. At least in such a sort time.

jonny84
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:53 PM
So it looks like Agnes will do poorly in two events (Sydney, Australian Open), exceed in one (Paris Indoors) and then do poorly in two more events (Antwerp and Doha).

So at least next tournament we should be able to :bigclap:

Poova
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Agnes as consistent as ever, I see. :lol:

dylan24
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
agnes is all hype. mentally weak.
overated.

justine schnyder
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
:lol:

Ai :D :hug:

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I think Agi needs to adopt to the elite. Normally a talented player has a year or more to get used to higher expectations. Players don't raise their rankings this fast. It's strange to say, but her "problem" is her success. She has jumped over the 50-100 range, that could have helped her prepare for being an "elite" player. In the middle of june 2007 she was outside the 100, and two and half months later she entered top20. That was too fast. Eight months ago Agi had to play qualifications to play at TIER4 events. A completely different schedule, different rythm, etc. If she won a match against a TOP30-40 player it was a great success. Now, a few months later everyone expects it. And if she looses, it's a big fiasco. I think this is pretty difficult to handle mentally. At least in such a sort time.

many players rise fast and never look back. shes slumping, i know its not nice and maybe she should play a couple of smaller tournaments to keep the winning feeling going. we all know it easier to beat the top players when theres no expectations but the truely good players do it when the pressures on. it dosen't bode well that in her first year as a 'top' player (and she isn't in the elite yet shes only just top 20) she has crumbled under the pressure. i like her and hope she deals with the change in situation she finds herself in, but im not convinced she will anymore.

Russianboy
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM
she's unbelievable inconsistent :eek:

Peterk07
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
many players rise fast and never look back. shes slumping, i know its not nice and maybe she should play a couple of smaller tournaments to keep the winning feeling going.

Tell me about such a player. :) Even Henin had 2 very mediocre years. (ok, Sharapova didn't.).

Anyway, it's only mid-february, so i'll wait a few months before drawing conclusion. Last october her trainer said that her body is not yet ready for playing hardcourt day in day out, so she's now concentrating on physcal training instead of technical. Due to this training, she has put some weight on, her body changed a lot (just compare). And at the same time her serve movement is under re-construction, because the way she is/was serving is dangerous for her back. So there are many factors that could affect her game. But still, I think the main problem is adjusting to the different conditions. She'll be back. :) (Back? Actually she's still climbing up the tankings. ;) She doesn't have to worry about her ranking for another 4-5 months. This is plenty of time. :) )

.:sk:.
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Agnes :confused: :hug:

Ai :)

LefandePatty
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Ai. :D

Agnes. :hug:

svetaisthebest
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Agnes :sad: :sad: :sad:
Congrats Ai :)

ce
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM
:rolleyes:

bwahahahahaha
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Congrats Sushi!

Kai
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
congrats Ai :woohoo:

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Tell me about such a player. :) Even Henin had 2 very mediocre years. (ok, Sharapova didn't.).

Anyway, it's only mid-february, so i'll wait a few months before drawing conclusion. Last october her trainer said that her body is not yet ready for playing hardcourt day in day out, so she's now concentrating on physcal training instead of technical. Due to this training, she has put some weight on, her body changed a lot (just compare). And at the same time her serve movement is under re-construction, because the way she is/was serving is dangerous for her back. So there are many factors that could affect her game. But still, I think the main problem is adjusting to the different conditions. She'll be back. :) (Back? Actually she's still climbing up the tankings. ;) She doesn't have to worry about her ranking for another 4-5 months. This is plenty of time. :) ) lol you seem like her personal assistant, you know everything about her :p

laurie
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Congrats to Ai.

But what do you expect from a teenager other than inconsistency? Agnes is still learning her trade.

I have complete faith Agnes will become an excellent player,over the next five years.

John.
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Ai :yeah:

Sally Todd
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Congrats to Ai, the most likable player in the WTA. :D I've always enjoyed watching her game. I can see how she would be trouble for Agnes if Agnes isn't in her best form.

As for Agnes, yes, it's starting to look like she has a sustained case of the sophomore yips. :shrug: I'll remember all these 'she's nothing more than hype' claims though. You'd think she did something much worse than lose to a vet. Didn't Sugi beat Hingis and thus start her on the road back to retirement, and trouble Sharapova the most the year Maria won Wimbledon? :confused:

Agi's serve has been more miss than hit ever since she changed her service motion. I can understand doing it so she doesn't injure her back, but the old serve (which she still uses, just nowhere near as often) was more reliable.

All the young players except Wozniacki and maybe Agi R are folding at this tournament!

Like Helen Lawson, I could see Agi R having a better year than Agi S, though I didn't think so at the start of 2008. Agi R has more experience on the main tour. Maybe Agi S just doesn't have that hard core yet? ;) :lol:

AmeDevotee
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Congrats, Ai. :hug:

Slumpsova
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
where the fuck is you consistency Agnes? :rolleyes:

Ben.
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Agnes :sad: :hug: rough loss but I'm sure she'll find form sooner than later.
She's young so she'll have plenty of time :)

Congrats to Ai though :) good win for her :yeah:

Bruno71
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Agnes :rolleyes: I wonder if that chronic back injury is still affecting her. Losing in this kind of fashion just doesn't seem normal for a player this good.

Ai is one tough cookie, as always though.

Rollo
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Peng has never reached Szavay's level go down-she has neither a top tier title or a grand slam quarterfinal on her CV:p

I'm not predicting anything-just putting on the brakes for the "she's finished" bandwagon.

IMPOSSIBLE
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Ai :)

Martian Jeza
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM
What's this again Agnes ? :help: Regroup and focus back on your game, ffs !

papru
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Agi :sad:

LegionArgentina
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Well done Sugi :yeah:
Of course you are more completed player than Szavay so it is not a sorprise.
Keep going!

tobi
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Well done Ai :D

Good win ;)

AJZ.
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Ai :worship: :worship:
Amazing!
I thought she got herself in quite a pickle after not serving out the first set at 5-3, but wow, good job finishing it off, and in style :worship: :hearts:
Now do well against Ayumi :D Make it 1-2, you are the mentor after all, not the apprentice ;)

Get the ranking back up, you can do it :woohoo:

And good luck in dubs too ;)

Renalicious
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah I actually expected this loss. Congrats Ai! :D

Derek.
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Besides Paris, Agnes has had a horrible start to the year.

Uranus
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM

Maybe you're right. I hope so.
Kim also had quite a similar problem in 2002, and the year after she was #1.
Agnes is really talented. She can rival with the best. Give her some time.
This loss is very embarrassing, though.

It's sad to say but Agnes has already done (much?) more in the last 6 months than Shuai has in her whole career.

cellophane
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Maybe you're right. I hope so.
Kim also had quite a similar problem in 2002, and the year after she was #1.

Kim won the YEC in '02, not to mention was a well-established top player. :spit:

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
:help: :help:

Neptune
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Future Number one?

:haha:

Peterk07
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
lol you seem like her personal assistant, you know everything about her :p

You know, small country, everybody knows everybody. :) You know a player who trained with her, you know a coatch, who knows her coatch, etc. ;)

I know for example that Agi wasn't expected to rise so quickly. In the beginning of year 2007 the plan was to reach top100 by the end of the year. Then a few months later the plan changed to top50. Then top30. Then top20. Then 16... and then she injured. When i say plan, i don't mean "wishes", but a complete schedule, tournaments, qualifications, training, everything 8-10 months ahead. Originally 2008 supposed to be the year of being inside top100 and slowly rising towards top30, while working on her fittness, technics, serve, etc. (Because of her illness in 2005-2006, she never had proper physical preparation for hardcourts at professional level. Before her illness she was junior, and after recovery she started playing immediately.) No wonder, she injured her back, then leg, then shoulders, none the less she isn't injury prone - actually she was never injured before.

So she and her team had to change everything last november. Speed up physical trainings, gain strength, work on serve, forehand, etc, all in the same time. I think they're right in the middle of that. Of course, many players have similar difficulties in their life, and the best players are able overcome these difficultites quickly. So this doesn't mean she will surely become the "next big thing" that some people predicted. No one knows it for sure. But at least this explains her shaky form and unexpected up&downs for me - and gives me, the fan, little patience. :)

Sund7101
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Nice Win Ai!

justcool
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Could not believe that

Slutati
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Agnes:sad:it's still pretty early though so i'm sure she'll pick her game up:yeah:she is way too good to be losing like this

So Disrespectful
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
This is what happens when people jump to conclusions too quickly. She had, what, 4 good tournaments last season? Now she's had one so far this year. It's obvious that she's exceptionally talented and I like her a lot (she's a nice girl), but for all we know she could be the next Safarova.

*Jean*
Feb 20th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Szavay will leave top 20 as quickly as she arrived there! Sorry but she just doesnt have the game for it :confused:

Well done Ai ! :D

attis765
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Let's not jump into such conclusions.:rolleyes:

But I have to admit,Szavay does not play like a Top 20 player right now,let alone Top 10.
Her serve is like a No.200..and that is not promising to say the least..

matanuriel
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Let's not jump into such conclusions.:rolleyes:

But I have to admit,Szavay does not play like a Top 20 player right now,let alone Top 10.
Her serve is like a No.200..and that is not promising to say the least..

She will be back to her old winning ways in no time ;)

Fired
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Another dissapointing loss... Oh well I'm not surprised anymore. Inconsistency is what makes me enjoy more my fave's wins xD

strictennis
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Agnes = Overrated

mckyle.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
OK. I'm a little behind and just now saw this result, but WTF? Seriously, WTF? Bageled by Sugiyama? Someone needs to gET iT toGEThEr!!!1

faboozadoo15
Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
She'll need to get it together sooner or later or goodbye top20!

At least clay is soon!