PDA

View Full Version : Shuai Peng - an amateur???

markhingis
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've just seen it on live scores BIOS :eek:
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/n4m2jhkk/wta.JPG

:confused::confused::confused:

Yasmine
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
:eek: :lol: they probably have read it on PYW somewhere around here :devil:

Ballbasher
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Yes she never turned pro. Look a WTAtour

justine schnyder
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I saw that too.. What does it mean?

jisung
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
she is hopeless for pro :sad:

Mileen
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:51 PM
she is hopeless for pro :sad:

No, she must be good to be able to beat Kim, Kim said it so herself she has great potential. Maybe she must become precisely that: a pro, to fully concentrate on tennis. I was wondering why she didn't break through after 2005.
Do you know why she isn't pro? What does she do besides tennis, is it because she can't pay for going pro on tour all year? :sad: That's really sad, someone should sponser her!

I was having a lol, thought thread starter was making a joke and changed it himself because she lost again, untill I read it was for real :eek:

GoDominique
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Well she's playing like one.

Boreas
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I thought this was a well known fact, because she was allways introduced as an amateur:shrug:

maumau
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
lol

markhingis
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
maybe you can't be a pro tennis player in China, they have weird law & rules there,so who knows...

Destiny
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Thats sad if some law or something is stopping her from being pro
never knew she was an amateur she better than some pros!!!???

Harvs
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
i dont get it... how do u become a pro? like whats the criteria? thanks..

Alec
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
maybe you can't be a pro tennis player in China, they have weird law & rules there,so who knows...

of course not like that...
Na and others are pro.

I heard that it has something to do with IMG.
Peng signed some contract with IMG when she was 15 or 16. no sure what happened then.

papru
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I always knew that ;)

Renalicious
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
whadda...

justcool
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM
good luck to her next!

juki
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:10 AM
2. Turning Professional

1. Amateur Status and Reimbursement
Subject to any non-WTA Tour guidelines regarding amateur status that may apply to a particular player, if a player chooses to retain her amateur status, she may not receive Prize Money, but may receive only reasonable, actual and necessary expenses substantiated by receipts and as documented on a signed WTA Amateur Reimbursement Form.(This Form may be obtained from the on-site Supervisor).

a . Definition
Any player who receives Prize Money from a Tournament or from the WTA Tour Bonus Pool will be considered a professional.

To be a professional, you must declare that you want to claim prize money. Seems fair, if you get paid you're a pro. So can anyone explain why Peng is still an amateur? I thought amateur rules were mostly put in place for people who play college tennis(NCAA doesn't allow pros to play right?), can't be the reason for Peng, so I wonder what it is?

cosjun
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:04 AM
she is definitely a pro as li na is.she didn't break through because she's apt to choke like she did yesterday,and her physical condition isn't as good as other players.

Pasta-Na
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:05 AM
she is definitely a pro as li na is.she didn't break through because she's apt to choke like she did yesterday,and her physical condition isn't as good as other players.

give some support to her instead of saying these stuff pls :o

cosjun
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM
give some support to her instead of saying these stuff pls :o

u read me not supporting her from my words?I like her for sure,and I think she's the next li na.

Pasta-Na
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:18 AM
u read me not supporting her from my words?I like her for sure,and I think she's the next li na.

shuai needs to improve her mental toughness... some matches she should have won in this year :o

Pasta-Na
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:19 AM
good luck to her next!

nice digital camera :D

Drake1980
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
:eek::confused:

drake3781
Feb 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I thought this status changed about 2 years ago.

CibulkaNa.
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM
i think so

ex hopman
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM
is it still the story that the chinese government or tennis association takes some (most) portions of the prize money players make?? maybe keeping an amateur status, signing with the IMG and IMG is giving her some money!? :p
not sure... but keeping an amaterur status, you can't get prize money right?
i am wondering what the story is behind...
i like shuai's play style. :)

Slumpsova
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Peng lost to Nathalie Dechy :o
what a disastrous loss.

Golovinjured.
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM
To be a professional, you must declare that you want to claim prize money. Seems fair, if you get paid you're a pro. So can anyone explain why Peng is still an amateur? I thought amateur rules were mostly put in place for people who play college tennis(NCAA doesn't allow pros to play right?), can't be the reason for Peng, so I wonder what it is?

Yeah from what I've heard it has something to do with the Chinese government. I watched a match while she was in Sydney a few years ago and the commentators said she wasn't pro because all her winnings go the government of China, while they pay for travel, training and all that stuff. It's just communist stuff I think

NOTE: not saying its a bad thing (communism) - just saying what i heard..

Alec
Feb 20th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah from what I've heard it has something to do with the Chinese government. I watched a match while she was in Sydney a few years ago and the commentators said she wasn't pro because all her winnings go the government of China, while they pay for travel, training and all that stuff. It's just communist stuff I think

NOTE: not saying its a bad thing (communism) - just saying what i heard..

I think they get 65% of the prize money that they earned, while the others go to the CTA. it's not bad since CTA covered all their expenses;)

juki
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I don't think the Chinese gov't story is true... Part of the rule also states that the prize money not given out would be split between WTA and the event organizers (or something like that), it would seem wrong for the WTA to give prize money straight to federations and bypass players...:confused:

requiem
Feb 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM
if she's amateur whats with $891,157 she earned