PDA

View Full Version : Will Chakvetadze ever win a Grand Slam?

psihadal
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Do you think Chakvetadze will win a Grand Slam title in her career?

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
She said that's a goal of hers. She has to keep improving, and get some luck.

Sharakim
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I don't see why not. She's a solid top tenner, maybe she won't win many. But I can see her win at least one if she improves her mentality.

Uranium
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
no
unless she keeps emotions under control, i can't see her winning a slam

Lucas_Arg
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Right now i don't think so, but she will improve.

bwahahahahaha
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Never.

aguy9797
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
she is just 20!! in two years she should be ready to take RG!!

Dave.
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I can see her winning the French or possibly the Australian.

Can't see her winning anything in doubles however.

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
i say yes though i can see why some say no. she has as good a chance as any outside of henin, serena, venus and maria. of which 3 of them 4 players are at least 5 years older than her.
i think she would need a bit of luck and a nice draw.

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM
She could win one easily. She has a good window of 6-7 years and if Iva Majoli can win one for sure Anna can. Sometimes you get lucky with a draw your playing in the zone for a couple of key wins. Anything can happen. Anybody saying a girl who was #5 in the world at 20years old can't win a slam is not serious. Sure it's tough too see her be a multiple slam winner on a consistant basis but I sure wouldn't toss away the possibility of her winning one. It's the same with Jankovic but Jelena has maybe 2-3 years to do it remaining.

Ivanovic will win multiple slams for sure. Be it 2 or 10...

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Justine-Maria-Ana and maybe Venus still at Wimbledon should win the most slams in the years to come but never count out Jelena Ana or maybe if she wants it again Serena or maybe Sveta could win one more but that I'm really. Problem for Serena is that she's so unfitt she can't play enough and losses early now because her ranking is now #10 ???

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Anna should never be counted out.

Uranium
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Justine-Maria-Ana and maybe Venus still at Wimbledon should win the most slams in the years to come but never count out Jelena Ana or maybe if she wants it again Serena or maybe Sveta could win one more but that I'm really. Problem for Serena is that she's so unfitt she can't play enough and losses early now because her ranking is now #10 ???

funny, title says Anna, but this post has nothing to do with her:rolleyes:

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Did you see Mauresmo winning a slam say in 2001... Did you see Majoli winning a slam say in 1995...Did you see Kournikova never winning a tournament say in 1997.

Everything can happen and somebody#5 #6 at 20 years old in all objectivity should be consider capable of winning at least one...

LudwigDvorak
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I really dislike Pushkin. Stupid DimaDinosaur. ;o

Anyway, probably yes, just to piss me off. Although why do some people think she'll win Paris? Her game is awful on clay and she hates the surface.

She isn't the type I'd ever imagine would win a slam, but she was one set away from making a slam final not that long ago. She'd have lost to Justine, but if she can just...make her game better, then I could see her win one. As it stands, I just don't see what's in her that could win a slam. But she'll get a soft draw one of these days. Shit, she had one in Melbourne too. :o

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah she would have lost to Henin... What did you said before the Wimbledon 1/2 last year? She could win one yes but her physique might be her biggest opponent. It's still big babe tennis now and that is againts her. Still I say she can win one.

Emina.
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I hope so!

Lucyxx
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Yes, if Pushkin says it - it must be true!

You have to look at the way she pushed Maria @ AO.

Really she could win any one of the slams. I'd say AO and USO her best chances.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
In a word-NO

dya74
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM
everything is possible...

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Pushkin stop posting like 3 posts in a row! :lol:

bellascarlett
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
She has time on her side and in a few years, who knows how many better players there will be? But projecting her to win one slam is playing it safe. Maybe she'll do a Myskina one day, who knows? Thing is, I know she's had several tournament wins, but I can't remember a particularly impressive title win wherein she beat great players in a row. I mean, who's the best she's beat in a final? Another, she hasn't beat Henin or Sharapova. Anna obviously needs a good draw and most likely the best players to be down in form while she plays out of her mind in order to win that first slam.

Pink Princess
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Yes!!! I think that she can achieve it, she has so many years ahead. Anna was a finalist junior in Wimbledon 2003.

http://photo910.tripod.com/gkopihtm/gkopi/c2464g4.jpg

We will see that happens!!!

The Daviator
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
She might, she could get into a semi or a final and play the match of her life, who knows, someone besides the 'big 4' is gonna win a Slam soon, it's inevitable.

AcesHigh
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
No

Groenefelder25
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM
shes far too inconsistent to win one now. When she sorts that out, then maybe.

Ceri
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It isn't impossible...she isn't the most talented of her generation, but she has a shot and a good window of time with which to try.

Poova
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Only with a lot of luck and/or a soft draw. :shrug:

~Eclipsed~
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I can see her winning RG, not this year, but maybe next?

I cant see her winning any of the other slams unless she gets a friendly draw.

jonny84
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Probably just one. Probably either Australia or US Open is her best chance.

FrOzon
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Right now, I don't see her winning a slam... but you never know! And I hope, I'm wrong! ;)

kolan
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
yes. she has ability to be a threat on any surface, surely it is a matter of time :worship:

lleon596
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM
in a word YES. I hope she will win more than once.

John.
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Doubtful

Matt01
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:01 PM
She will need a lucky draw and lots of lucky shots :p
But of course anything's possible.

frenchie
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I can definitely see her winning the AO or the USO

kris719
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
definitely she can. She is up there with past champions and is a solid top 10 player.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
No.

Topspin2
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!

spiritedenergy
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
No, she can't win a grand slam with her moonballing game. But she can go far if she has a lucky draw ala Sharapova USOpen 2007.

frontier
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM
As longer as pova is on her side of the draw she will never win,secondly she's like Dementieva a perennial top tenner who can reach a final but never win a slam.She can burnout like a number of Russian players namely Safin,Myskina,Petrova and others too numerous to mention.The only person who is going to keep Russia on the slam map is pova and she was brought up outside of Russia.:p

spiritedenergy
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:10 PM
As longer as pova is on her side of the draw she will never win,secondly she's like Dementieva a perennial top tenner who can reach a final but never win a slam.She can burnout like a number of Russian players namely Safin,Myskina,Petrova and others too numerous to mention.The only person who is going to keep Russia on the slam map is pova and she was brought up outside of Russia.:p

So?:tape:

Vacant
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
God, I hope not.

And I doubt it too.

OsloErik
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Well, looking at it objectively, there are two potential reasons she would fail to win a slam: her game isn't good enough to win one, or there are too many players who she doesn't have much of a chance of beating.

I think she obviously has enough game to win one. And as for the number of players around who she doesn't have much of a chance of beating, I think the number is going to shrink DRASTICALLY soon.

In four-five years, we won't have Venus/Serena/Justine. So besides those three, who else will still be around? By age, there's Zvonereva, Bartoli, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Mirza, Safina, Kirilenko, Safarova, Chakvetadze, Sharapova, Peer, Ivanovic, Golovin, Szavay, Krajicek, Radwanska, Vaidisova, Azarenka, and Paszek.

Of the players on that list, none of them have much more than a 60-40 chance of beating her, any time, any surface. I'd say things look good for Anna as long as she doesn't get frustrated by the wait, which I worry about sometime.

Bruno71
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Anna's one of the rare breed of players that actually changes her game to try and become more effective. This unfortunately creates some major inconsistencies and bad transition periods, but I feel like she could actually still improve greatly over time. So who knows...she's not in a position at the moment to truly contend for a slam title, but it's quite possible she will be in the future.

tennismaster8820
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Did you see Mauresmo winning a slam say in 2001... Did you see Majoli winning a slam say in 1995...Did you see Kournikova never winning a tournament say in 1997.

Everything can happen and somebody#5 #6 at 20 years old in all objectivity should be consider capable of winning at least one...

Both Mauresmo and Majoli were much bigger prospects then Chakvetadze!
And people saw them as future GS champions!
Iva had a label of being new Monica Seles.

Still Anna could win a GS title some day, just like Myskina did!

Effy
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
No, she can't win a grand slam with her moonballing game. But she can go far if she has a lucky draw ala Sharapova USOpen 2007.

:weirdo:

nothing more to expect from you tho

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM

nothing more to expect from you tho

he probably dosen't understand chakvetadze has one of the flattest forehands in womens tennis. ;)

Golovinjured.
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I hope she does, probably not this year, but in the years after it certainly is a possibility.

If the WTA introduced a 5th Grand Slam in Israel I'm sure it would get her fired up enough to win it :drool: Angry Anna :drool:

Slutati
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM
She can, but i don't believe she will

spiritedenergy
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:03 AM
he probably dosen't understand chakvetadze has one of the flattest forehands in womens tennis. ;)

doesn't look to me. IMHO that her game seems like moonballing to the corners, a moonballing version of Sharapova.

sammy01
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM

doesn't look to me. IMHO that her game seems like moonballing to the corners, a moonballing version of Sharapova.

well your very simple so it probably would do. she hits mostly crosscourt because she hits so flat (the court is longer corner to corner and the net is lower in the middle), her forehand has very little spin and is sometimes so flat it has away swing, when she its it dtl. she dosen't hit the ball 3000 miles an hour because if she did it would fly long most of the time not having the spin to bring it in. seriously next time your watching tennis pay attention when they change the angle of the camera and see how much net clearence say kuznetsova or jj give compared to chakvetadze. just because she dosen't blast it dosen't make it a moon ball.

Svetlana.
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Not this year... she MIGHT win only if Henin, Maria, and Williams are not in the draw.

NeoZod19
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I think it's possible but her dad needs to get someone else to coach her.

Svetlana.
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I think it's possible but her dad needs to get someone else to coach her.

Very good point :yeah:

Sefo
Feb 20th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Over Maria's cold body!!!!!!!!!
But maybe with a facile draw.

justcool
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:13 AM
no

Cp6uja
Feb 20th, 2008, 03:03 AM
At RG or Wimbledon i dont see her to reach even SF.
She have good game for hardcourts but she dont have enough weapons for GS title (IMO).

Henpova
Feb 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I can she her winning the USO or AO. I think AO would be her best shot, since that court like a flat ball.

I don't think she could win RG or Wimby. May be a Finals at Wimby, but I don't see her even making a Simi's at RG.

Thats why I don't get all these people say that she could win RG. Her game sucks on clay. :shrug:

Oh and spiritedenergy you don't know a damn thing about tennis. I would be shocked if you even play. Just shut up and go away.:tape::fiery:

markdelaney
Feb 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I personally can't see anything in her game to justify winning a slam or staying in the top eight.
Plenty of other girls have gone top ten by age 20 and then spent the rest of their careers ranked between 20 and 100.
Every so often the top players all get injured/off form, leaving a gap for a top 6 (but not top 3) player to win slams as has been shown with Mauresmo.

I rate Chakvetadze similar to Zvonareva and when she comes up against a real top 4 player in form, she gets just a few games and looks completely out of her depth.

mankind
Feb 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Why not.

matanuriel
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I realy don't see why not, she has been as high as #5 and reached a GS SF before turning 21.

soul
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I dont think so; at least not so soon.She has the game but her mental weakness is still a problem that can cope up with.I wish her win but not near future

spiritedenergy
Feb 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
gotta correct myself: never.

allhingis
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM
With a favorable draw, I think she can, because she has the smart game to do so, She could win with a draw like this: QF- Jankovic SF- Sveta F- Venus (because she beat her in Stanford in 2007), but itīs very unlikely to happen.

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
yes i believe she will and i hope she does