PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup semis RUS vs USA to be played on clay

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Russian news agency "RIA Novosti" quoted Tarpischev who said the semifinal would be played on the indoor clay court at "Luzhniki".

gary
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM
so no Masha it seems :help: :sad:

Marcus1979
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:53 AM
this was always going to happen. I mean the USA players are not as strong on clay all round as the Russians are.

mankind
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:38 AM
this was always going to happen. I mean the USA players are not as strong on clay all round as the Russians are.

She's done enough to qualify for the Olympics. Damn her (not so) ulterior motives are so predictable.

peikko
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Not surprising considering that the semis are played during the time of clay season.

Mina Vagante
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Seeing as Sharapova probs wont play (and shes not that good on clay neway), i actually think USA will win. I think a hard court would be better

faboozadoo15
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Sharapova may still play... That's not yet disclosed.

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
If u play the US, DC or FC, u pick clay.

bwahahahahaha
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Sharapova can beat anyone on clay except Henin.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Seeing as Sharapova probs wont play (and shes not that good on clay neway), i actually think USA will win. I think a hard court would be better

On clay? Against Russia? Not a chance with or without Sharapova. The US with their best line up have a decent shot to beat Russia on any other surface (I'd say a 50/50 prospect) but on clay in Moscow, I really can not see how America have any chance at all.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Anna Chaky and Sveta will be enough.

Paneru
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM

The US will really need Serena
to be there for the win.

Venus has been trying for the past three
years to carry it all on her shoulders
but she needs help.

Basically, since doubles is always a toss
the US needs another top player to compliment
Venus and actually win a singles match or two.

Dodoboy.
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM
With Venus and Serena they have a very good chance of winning!

Elwin.
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
USA :wavey:

Serge007
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Anna Chaky and Sveta will be enough.
Chaky? On clay? Hmm...

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Sharapova has never played well in Moscow. Not one match.
I'd rather have Dementieva in Moscow, on clay, than Sharapova.
Lena D, Anna, Sveta, if Nadia is playing well, ask her.

mankind
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM
So true about Maria never playing well in Moscow. Even the matches she has won have been dodgy...I remember being there a few years back seeing her being thrashed by Groenefeld (:help:), was points away from losing the match and then A-L broke her ankle or something, had to retire. It's just so bizarre how Sharapova can never pull it together in Russia.

Sam L
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM
If both the Williams sisters turn up, USA wins.

Dave.
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Not a surprise. I would think Venus and Serena can deal with Anna, but might have problems with Sveta. Lindsay/Lisa should have an easy doubles win to finish the tie.

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I think they'd need Maria too, I can't see Chaky defeating a Williams

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM

She won't need to. :p
She'll have to deal with Harkleroad.

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
She won't need to. :p
She'll have to deal with Harkleroad.lol in that case she should be fine

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:17 PM

there's more chance of George Bush playing in drag :p:o

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Russia has one loss since 2003, that was at Belgium to Kim and Justine.
It doesn't matter who shows up, Russia's a huge favorite this tie.

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Russia has one loss since 2003, that was at Belgium to Kim and Justine.
It doesn't matter who shows up, Russia's a huge favorite this tie. And I don't want to know what whould happen to you if they lose :unsure:

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I'd probably blame a certain top 5 player for not being there :D

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'd probably blame a certain top 5 player for not being there :D How do you know maria is gonna be there?

jacobruiz
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
How do you know she's NOT going to be there?

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Maria will play don't worry this year she has committed to winning the Cup. Anna beat both Serena and Venus last year so for sure she can beat them at home on clay(if they go).Russia's talent pool is too deep since 5 years and even without Maria they were winning so this year won't be any different. They could call 6-7 different players for Moscow and on clay !!! AHAHAHAHA Russia easily winning.

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I don't know who's on either team.
I'll analyze the tie objectively, like I always do :yeah:

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I'll analyze the tie objectively, like I always do :yeah:

oh... sarcasm! :worship:

bellascarlett
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I'd probably blame a certain top 5 player for not being there :D

Elaborate please cause I wonder who this top 5 player is? If it's Sharapova, didn't you say you'd rather have Dementieva, Petrova, Chakvetadze, Kuznetsova or *insert whatever Russian player's name* playing than Sharapova?! :help: If it's not Sharapova, then forget I even said anything. :D

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Sharapova will play stop fantasming on her not being there. The question should be about the sisters... That's more important actually. Cuz USA have nobody to play instead of them and Russia could call 10 players on clay to beat Ashley or Lindsay . Concerns here is about Venus and Serena. Because even with both of them Russia is still slightly favored because of home court advantage...

plantman
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:10 PM
there's more chance of George Bush playing in drag :p:o

Dumbyaette might be okay at tennis....

Natash.
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I think on clay, Ashley can beat Anna C. But if they have Sveta there, Russia is probably going to win.

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Anna C would never lose to Ashley in Moscow. The players will depend on form for Russia.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Assuming both Williams sisters play, this doesnt really help Maria but it does help the other Russians so I think it was the right choice

Sveta said she would play the semis-shes shown she can beat Venus on clay, she should be able to beat Serena
I would probably put Dementieva in the team-I think she could get inspired and on clay she can beat the Williams'

moon
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
which weekend is the semis again?
I wanna mark my calendar.

AcesHigh
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
If both WS show up, USA "should" win if they're taking this very seriously. The last two times USA faced Russia(2007 on hardcourt, 2005 on clay), Venus tried to win the tie herself but she wasn't enough. She almost won the tie last year winning both her singles matches but losing a close doubles match(paired with Raymond which was probably a bad idea although there wasn't a better choice really) and in 2005, she lost a 3-setter to Myskina, thrashed Elena D, but Mashona and Jill couldnt take a set :help:

So if Venus AND Serena play, we have good shot. Even if Lindsay plays, if she can just win one match.. against Anna probably, we still have a shot.

The Daviator
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Both Williams sisters can beat Anna/Sveta on clay.

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM
USA will win!!!
Even if there would be just one williams sisters.
Lindsay/Venus in singles would definitely give you the least of 2-2 score. I said at least!!!
Then Lindsay/Lisa on doubles is s sure bet.

slamchamp
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
when is it?

Uranium
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM
USA should win
i don't see Maria playing if its on clay
same for Serena.
Venus has played 2 Fed cup semis vs. Russia and 3rd time is a charm for her to give USA a win

USA
venus
ashley
raymond
Serena(or Lindsay, bad choice though)

Russia
Dementieva
Sveta
Petrova
Vesnina

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Russia has been Fed Cup champions 3 of the last 4 years.
This is a routine home tie.

Destiny
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Come on Usa
Beat the Russians
Sharapova will probably play

Cakeisgood
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Chaky is worse then Masha on clay. Fact.

Ideal Lineup would be Sveta, Dementieva, Masha, and Myskina (oooooh dreamssss). But seriously, that last spot will really up for grabs.

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
ok venus and serena both wont turn up. sveta and anna will be enough to knock off one william sister and 3 dwarfs. have safina and lena d play the doubles match if it comes to it.

Uranium
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM
ok venus and serena both wont turn up. sveta and anna will be enough to knock off one william sister and 3 dwarfs. have safina and lena d play the doubles match if it comes to it.

Venus has played 2005 and 2007 semi, she'll play again for her friend Zina's last year, and Anna isn't good on clay. And it's one williamS sister, get some intelligence.:rolleyes:

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Venus has played 2005 and 2007 semi, she'll play again for her friend Zina's last year, and Anna isn't good on clay. And it's one williamS sister, get some intelligence.:rolleyes:

lol i missed an 's' off williams, there for my college diploma is now worthless. :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:39 PM
We don't know who the teams are.
I expect all the highest ranked Russians in Moscow for this tie.

Brooks.
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
It's the same old story

Venus and Serena together beat anything that Russia can throw at them

It's just too bad that Serena probably won't bother to show up

brent-o
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Chaky? On clay? Hmm...

I'm with you, I don't think Chaky's game translates well to clay.

perseus2006
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM
USA lost last year because Venus played the worst doubles match I have ever seen a player play. She was absolutely and embarassingly pathetic. Lindsay is a good doubles player and along with Raymond gives the USA a chance for the doubles point.

Each country's best team would produce some interesting tennis:

Venus
Serena
Lindsay
Lisa

vs.

Pova
Kuzy
Nadia
Vesnina

Russia win 4-1!!!

Elldee
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I think Lindsay could win a singles match on clay. I think her attitude would be better if it wasn't a whole tournament on the dirt. She'd need to have Venus behind her to back her up and make it worth her while running about for hours.

Il Primo!
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Sorry but I don't see the point of selecting Anna or Elena rather than Maria on clay whereas Maria's got the best results on the surface. Doesn't make sense to me.

Forehand_Volley
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Serena has won 2 titles on clay.
Venus has won 7 titles on clay.
Anna C has won 0 titles on clay.
Svetlana has won 1 title on clay.

AcesHigh
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
USA should win
i don't see Maria playing if its on clay
same for Serena.
Venus has played 2 Fed cup semis vs. Russia and 3rd time is a charm for her to give USA a win

USA
venus
ashley
raymond
Serena(or Lindsay, bad choice though)

Russia
Dementieva
Sveta
Petrova
Vesnina

If Harkleroad plays, USA loses... I'm almost certain of it.

Uranium
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM
If Harkleroad plays, USA loses... I'm almost certain of it.

she'll be benched;)

Tech1
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Go team USA!

Cakeisgood
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
ashley harkleroad=suicide.

ce
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Sharapova can beat everyone :shrug:

new-york
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
if it's in Moscow maybe we will have both Maria & Svets. (???)

Mina Vagante
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sharapova can beat everyone :shrug:

not Serena at her best :)

If both sisters are there, and healthy, USA will win

Mina Vagante
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Does anybody know if it's green or red clay?

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Slow red clay. The kind Sveta likes. And Maria will learn to like it too.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
people keep assuming this is the men's side...this is the women's side...unlike the american men serena and venus can actually play on clay...they may not be the best (granted cause some are just better on the surface) but it doesn't mean they can't play on clay....if both venus and serena play then it's still 2-2 in the tie cause they can both at least win 1 of their matches and it will come down to the doubles :shrug: i think US will win 3-2...moskva isn't as bad as israel in terms of crowd so the sisters wouldn't really have a problem with the support being given to the russians since for the most part they are used to being underdogs where they play :shrug:

sammy01
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:34 PM
people keep assuming this is the men's side...this is the women's side...unlike the american men serena and venus can actually play on clay...they may not be the best (granted cause some are just better on the surface) but it doesn't mean they can't play on clay....if both venus and serena play then it's still 2-2 in the tie cause they can both at least win 1 of their matches and it will come down to the doubles :shrug: i think US will win 3-2...moskva isn't as bad as israel in terms of crowd so the sisters wouldn't really have a problem with the support being given to the russians since for the most part they are used to being underdogs where they play :shrug:

what i cant believe is people think venus and serena will both play, when was the last time they both played fed cup and played 4 matches between them? i just cant see serena wanting to go to moscow to play on clay. i would be happy to be proved wrong if they both turn up it will be an amazing tie, if only one turns up i think russia have it in the bag.

tenn_ace
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM

she's aready done it.

an inform Venus (Wimbledon champion), last year on hard court

:p