PDA

View Full Version : Will Myskina ever comeback?

liuxuan
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Do you guys think Nastya Myskina will ever come back?
I really hope so, the tour is so much more dull without her! She was a bit of a dramaqueen, and her game was just gorgeous to watch! She moved around the court as good as anyone (shes up there with Venus and Jankovic in terms of court coverage!), and her backhand was just phenomenal. Her forehand was really smooth and flat, brilliant to watch on grass courts!

In 2003/2004, Davenport/justine was playing at at least as high a level as Jankovic/Ivanovic/Sharapova, if not hiher, and Nastya proved she had the game to beat them and be amongst the very best, if she got back to that form, she would definately be top 5 again! I think of all the russians she had the best game, only sharapova on fast hard courts would have her number!

what do you think?>

cypher_88
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:10 AM
hope you're right :sad:

The Daviator
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
She didn't seem motivated to return when she was out injured and now with a baby it's highly unlikely, shame, I just loved her game, she was such a joy to watch.

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM
She'll probably do some hitting after the baby's born, to get back in shape.
If she's healthy and feeling good, she might give it a try.
I said that about Lindsay over a year ago, and a lot of the Lindsay fans disagreed.
But they love tennis. Kournikova still practices almost everyday. Nastya will never stop hitting tennis balls. But she might not come back on the tour.

venus_rulez
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I don't expect her to come back. The only reason for her to is if she feel she could do more. It'd be hard to see her winning another slam, but it doesn't matter, she's already in the history books thanks to her French Open win.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I really hope so, the tour is so much more dull without her! She was a bit of a dramaqueen, and her game was just gorgeous to watch! She moved around the court as good as anyone (shes up there with Venus and Jankovic in terms of court coverage!), and her backhand was just phenomenal. Her forehand was really smooth and flat, brilliant to watch on grass courts!

In 2003/2004, Davenport/justine was playing at at least as high a level as Jankovic/Ivanovic/Sharapova, if not hiher, and Nastya proved she had the game to beat them and be amongst the very best, if she got back to that form, she would definately be top 5 again! I think of all the russians she had the best game, only sharapova on fast hard courts would have her number!

what do you think?>

I think that is a great post and you describe the beauty of Nastya's game and her strengths very well. I always found it funny that Nastya won her slam on clay when grass was a much suitable surface for her but tennis is a funny thing sometimes.

But sadly I don't think Nastya will be back. She was my favorite player too and I do miss her a lot. No one in the game can replace her grace and beauty. She left the game way too early.

But as soon as she stopped playing I sensed it was over and I took her name off my signature. To keep it there would have been too depressing. It is easier for me to think of her as retired and never coming back than to live in painful hope. I don't want to be like some Capriati and Seles fans. :lol:

brayster87
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:19 AM
GM have had a million of these threads so you might want to change the thread title to:

"Who else thinks Myskina is overrated?"

frontier
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM
She has been reduced to a baby momma with baby daddy problems:p.She has to go to court for DNA test and then child support:tape:,thats too much for a travelling athelete.:lol::tape:

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Sadly she won't come back. But I see her succeeding Tarpischev as Russian Fed Cup Captain. That would be hot !!!

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Yes French Open Winner and former world #2 plus Fed Cup winner in 2004 and so close to Olympic Gold... Also a tremendous achievement was that she was one of the most entertaining and lovely girl to watch.

mckyle.
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:17 AM
No.

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I doubt a tennis player as ever been as cute as her during Paris 2004!

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Russia Fed Cup Captain watch out for this.

justcool
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
i hope she will!

hkyen
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Never, when she got the Grand Slam, she select retirement.:D

danieln1
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I loved Anastasia´s tantrums, when she used to swear at her coach, it was very funny!! She had a beautiful game, she can beat anyone when she´s on, even beat Lindsay in Moscow 2004, I woke up 6 am to see it... but she played her best in that semifinal!
Regarding her comeback, first she must have her child, after that she can start thinking about a comeback, in my opinion, I think it´s 5% likely...

Poova
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Nope, she's gone for good. Shame that her last match ever is a 6-1, 6-0 loss to Shaughnessy, though.

meyerpl
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I hope so. Tennis without Nastya is like a salad without dressing; Halloween without candy; Cake without frosting; a movie without popcorn; drunk without obnoxious....it just doesn't seem right!

mirzalover
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I really miss her. I was watching a video of her on youtube versus Justine and it really made me realize how much I really enjoyed her. I loved watching her hit her backhand.

meyerpl
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I loved the way the ball boys and male line judges learned, the hard way, to wear a protective nut-cup whenever Nastya played. Oh, what a temper! And boy, could she kick!

Pasta-Na
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:33 AM
i dont think she will :sad:

heytennis
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I don't think she will but I'd love to see her come back and win Wimbledon like she should have.

safinismine
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I hope so. Tennis without Nastya is like a salad without dressing; Halloween without candy; Cake without frosting; a movie without popcorn; drunk without obnoxious....it just doesn't seem right!

LOL. Like the ATP without Marat Safin.

I hope Nastya comes back, she was such a character and so much fun to watch, her court movement is the best, IMO, and when she was on she could beat anyone.

mankind
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
No. Just like Capriati and Seles won't come back. Sad, but true.

justyna
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM
does anybody know what the name of her baby's father is..? and what does he do for a living..? i never realized that she had such problems-DNA tests, etc...:????

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM

what do you think?>

Myskina's last 7 matches:

LOST to Zheng 64 61 at Stockholm final
LOST to Peer 76 57 64 at Candian Open 2nd round
LOST to Santangelo 46 63 64 at New Haven 1st round
LOST to Azarenka 64 62 at US Open 1st round
LOST to Bacsinszky 63 63 at Zurich 1st round
LOST to Dulko 61 67 62 at Auckland 1st round
LOST to Shaughnessy 60 61 at Roland Garros 1st round

What makes you even think she may stage a comeback?

faboozadoo15
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Sadly, no. She had her moment in time. I think it's passed.

lilimi
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:22 AM
i miss nastya so much :sad: i hope i'll see her on courts again.

mankind
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
She should be satisfied enough to have won a slam. And have the title of being the first Russian female to do so.

Melmel
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hi! I'm sorry, I know this is off topic, but Safinismine, I've been looking for the picture in your avatar for ages! Do you have a bigger version of it?
Thanks!

up!
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Too bad she won't have the opportunity to win the Olympic Games. After her loss against Justine, she lost her best tennis.

Ben.
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Well who knows she might comeback, you never know ;)
But at the moment I cannot see her doing that, lets be happy for what Nastya has achieved in her career rather than be negative about her :D

safinismine
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hi! I'm sorry, I know this is off topic, but Safinismine, I've been looking for the picture in your avatar for ages! Do you have a bigger version of it?
Thanks!

I've sent it in a PM.

Mina Vagante
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I soooooooooooooooo hope so

frenchie
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
As much as I love her, she won't come back

She's not the same since her mother cancer in early 2005
She realized that tennis it not that important afterall!!

But you're right, she has a GREAT game

Thanx4nothin
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
GM have had a million of these threads so you might want to change the thread title to:

"Who else thinks Myskina is overrated?"

I agree, she was never all that i mean shes a dementieva at best and at her worst she could be like chakvetadze on bad form, just awful to watch. She probably wont come back and tennis has moved on so much she couldnt be succeessful again anyway, just my opinion.:cool:

Filippo-Nastya
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM

The last 7 matches are not important to judge her (IMO) because she was injured.
On the contrary, her results from Istanbul to Wimbledon 2006 (wins against Ana, JJ, Sveta and a great match against Justine in Eastbourne) show that, before the injury, she was still one of the best player of the world.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
The last 7 matches are not important to judge her (IMO) because she was injured.
On the contrary, her results from Istanbul to Wimbledon 2006 (wins against Ana, JJ, Sveta and a great match against Justine in Eastbourne) show that, before the injury, she was still one of the best player of the world.

On the contrary I think it's very important. It's one thing if you career has been interrupted when you are still playing near your best, it would be understandable to wish to return. But if you are out when you're losing to inferior players what's the point in returning? To suffer another embarassing loss?

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
She was injured ignorant. The guy just told you. She beat Chakvetadze-Ivanovic-Kuznetsova-Jankovic before that final injury all players who are top 6 now. She could easily be top 10 again IF in great shape and mentally willing. Wich is a slight possibility.

miffedmax
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Sadly, I think Nasty is done. She really was the perfect definition of "cute when she's angry" wasn't she?

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Yes !!!

Filippo-Nastya
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
On the contrary I think it's very important. It's one thing if you career has been interrupted when you are still playing near your best, it would be understandable to wish to return. But if you are out when you're losing to inferior players what's the point in returning? To suffer another embarassing loss?

IMO, she suffered embarassing losses in the last 7 matches because she was injured or not ready to play.
For example, after the loss to Santangelo in New Haven she said that she had pain in her left foot, she played because she just wanted to test her foot but she didn't want to risk too much because there was the US Open the following week. So, why she didn't skip New Haven if she knew that she wasn't fit?
Another loss that she could avoid was in Zurich against Bacsinszky. She wasn't obviously ready for that tournament since she had spent the last 2 weeks to watch Melzer's matches in Metz and Vienna. I don't know why she played. :confused:

I consider more embarassing the losses to Patty at AO and to Radwanska in Warsaw where she was healthy but her game and her head were totally off. :o

I'm not saying that her career has been interrupted when she was playing her best tennis but, for sure, she wouldn't have lost in that way against Zheng, Peer, etc. if her toe would have allowed her to move as she was used to. That's why I think that she could have good results if she comes back healthy.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM
IMO, she suffered embarassing losses in the last 7 matches because she was injured or not ready to play.
For example, after the loss to Santangelo in New Haven she said that she had pain in her left foot, she played because she just wanted to test her foot but she didn't want to risk too much because there was the US Open the following week. So, why she didn't skip New Haven if she knew that she wasn't fit?
Another loss that she could avoid was in Zurich against Bacsinszky. She wasn't obviously ready for that tournament since she had spent the last 2 weeks to watch Melzer's matches in Metz and Vienna. I don't know why she played. :confused:

I consider more embarassing the losses to Patty at AO and to Radwanska in Warsaw where she was healthy but her game and her head were totally off. :o

I'm not saying that her career has been interrupted when she was playing her best tennis but, for sure, she wouldn't have lost in that way against Zheng, Peer, etc. if her toe would have allowed her to move as she was used to. That's why I think that she could have good results if she comes back healthy.

That's what I'm talking about. She wasn't injured when she was trashed by Schnyder at AO, she wasn't injured when she was trashed by Safina at IW, she wasn't injured when she choked against Peer at Istanbul, she wasn't injured when Henin was destroying her at RG, she wasn't injured when she played one of the worst matches in her career vs Mauresmo at Wimbledon, she wasn't injured when she was trashed by Serena at Cincy.

Rik.
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I don't think so

Filippo-Nastya
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
That's what I'm talking about. She wasn't injured when she was trashed by Schnyder at AO, she wasn't injured when she was trashed by Safina at IW, she wasn't injured when she choked against Peer at Istanbul, she wasn't injured when Henin was destroying her at RG, she wasn't injured when she played one of the worst matches in her career vs Mauresmo at Wimbledon, she wasn't injured when she was trashed by Serena at Cincy.

Ok! ;)
In your previous post, when you were talking about "losing to inferior players", it sounded like you mean the last Nastya's losses and not the matches that you have mentioned in this one.
Now, I see your point. :)

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:52 PM
The anti-russian guy their can you speak about kournikova now ?

Kournikova never even won a TierIV Myskina is a Slam and Fed Cup Champ. you're anti Myskina bs is irrelevant.

Myskina Slam Fed Cup Winner and #2 in the world. Not many players can say that.

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I Guess Serena should retire also cuz she got thrashed by Schnyder Bammer Elena D lately and oh yeah Henin also lately. What kind of stupid comments are that?

Where you from actually ???

Myskina is the first Russian to win a Slam the First Russian to win Fed Cup for Russia (with Vera) in 100 years time her name will still be remembered for that.

ViennaCalling
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Is it possible to ban him? :weirdo:

He answers his own posts ... :banghead:

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
The guy claims to be from Russia but he continuously bashes the russian players and supports Anna K... makes sense???????????????????????

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Myskina coming back = 10%

ZIZOUILLE
Feb 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM
The anti-russian guy their can you speak about kournikova now ?

Kournikova never even won a TierIV Myskina is a Slam and Fed Cup Champ. you're anti Myskina bs is irrelevant.

Myskina Slam Fed Cup Winner and #2 in the world. Not many players can say that.

:worship:;)

Serenidad.
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Wow. Looking at that I didn't know she hadn't won a match in forever... 7 CONSECUTIVES.

Myskina.. oh well. You have winning H2H against Lena D, Sharapova, Kuznetsova, and most of the other russians.

Pushkin
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
And the first Russian to win Fed Cup and Slam...

frenchie
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Too bad she won't have the opportunity to win the Olympic Games. After her loss against Justine, she lost her best tennis.

That is WRONG IMO

That match affected her for the USO but that's it!!

After that she still reached Filderstadt semis, won Moscow, QF in Philly, SF at the YEC and won the Fed Cup:eek:

How many times do I have to repeat thatshe lost her tennis after her mother illnesswhich is at the beginning of 2005:rolleyes::o

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Ok! ;)
In your previous post, when you were talking about "losing to inferior players", it sounded like you mean the last Nastya's losses and not the matches that you have mentioned in this one.
Now, I see your point. :)

I used those 7 losses to illustrate what she might feel when she quit the game. Regardless of circumstances, it was the sequence of very disappointing results with no light in the end of the tunnel. And it's not like she was having great results before that cos it's not good for GS champion (even if she's one slam wonder) to lose Tier III-IV finals to Srebotnik and Peer.

Nastya was finished after 2004, it's pretty obvious. In fact she was finished after Olympics when she realized she would never achieve the ultimate goal: #1 and Olympic gold.

All she added to her resume in her last two seasons on the Tour were two Wimbledon quarterfinals and the whole bunch of horrible losses.

Ceri
Feb 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I don't think so, but who knows?

InTheGloaming
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Who?

John.
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I don't think so - I really miss her :sad:

Filippo-Nastya
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Who?

The player who has defeated twice the 2nd player of your sig and leads 3-2 in the H2H against the 3rd player of your sig.

jonny84
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I doubt it. I think she has moved on from tennis now. At least she achieved many great things in tennis.

miffedmax
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Honestly, sticking with the broadcasting career might be the best thing now that she has a kid to worry about.

goldenlox
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Like Lindsay and Bammer, she'll see if she travels, she'll have someone come with her to watch the kid, and she can use tennis to get away from always being a mommy.

hurricanejeanne
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I wish Nastya would return, but I sincerely doubt it. :sad:

Slutati
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Niet.

frenchie
Feb 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
No way

Nastya was bored of tennis at the end

fammmmedspin
Feb 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Depends whether she would want to do all the touring and match playing to get back to the top 5 which is where she would belong with the current top 10. She['s achieved a lot of big goals (world number 2, GS win , Moscow champion, Fed Cup twice) The others (Olympic Gold, YEC or number 1) would be impossible before 2012, or be very hard or would require a year of consistent fitness and excellent performances respectively. Its not clear that the pain outweighs the gain.
Gamewise though you only have to look at Anna C's ranking with a similar game. Anna has similar mental weaknesses, isn't as good when in zone, may have a slightly better serve and possibly forehand but hasn't got Nastya's rapier backhand or amazing speed and isn't quite as smart - but she's doing fine. Maria on current form looks better than in 2004 but you can't say that about most of whats left of the 2004 top 10. An inzone 2004 Nastya would be very competitive with the serbs in the top 5, would take Justine close again and would beat Sveta's current form.
Shame if she doesn't come back (or can't due to injury) because she could do very well but I don't think doing very well would be enough incentive if she has anything else interesting and new to do.

NeoZod19
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Nop!! she is simply a one time wonder!

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 20th, 2008, 02:24 AM
That is WRONG IMO

That match affected her for the USO but that's it!!

After that she still reached Filderstadt semis, won Moscow, QF in Philly, SF at the YEC and won the Fed Cup:eek:

How many times do I have to repeat thatshe lost her tennis after her mother illnesswhich is at the beginning of 2005:rolleyes::o

yea i agree with that....

eagles07
Feb 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
I really hope she comes back

go_russia
Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
i hope she will come back but i don't trust it