PDA

View Full Version : Is Lucie injured?

toxina90
Feb 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I think she just lost her 1st round match...is she still injured? Or she must be lacking confidence, did anyone see the match - how did she play?

Ova
Feb 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Say it isn't so !

Lunaris
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Did you expect her to beat Cibulkova? I am a big fan of hers but in all honesty I didn't.

She must stay healthy and practice. Today she again showed that return is the biggest weakness in her game, losing 83% points on return of Cibulkova's first serve. You can't expect her to compete at the highest level until she solves her injury issues, if they can be solved at all. If she somehow solves them then she can focus on improvement of her game. Maybe she should try to play smaller tournaments, she won't gain match play in these tough fields.

Sally Todd
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I hear you, Lunaris. I wish I could be more optimistic right now, but it's going to be a long road back for Lucie. If she commits to truly taking it.

Sometimes I think being Berdych's partner in life is much more important to her. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't help her career. Plus she and Berdych are weirdly similar in terms of missed chances. It'd frustrating to see her go the Mirka route, because she's much more talented.

But I'm a pessimist, albeit a faithful one. Playing some smaller tournaments in 2008 does seem like a smart idea. That and simply playing more consistently in all senses -- on the courts and in terms of schedule -- this year. I hope she does it!

slamchamp
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Lucie is much better than cibulkova, I don't know what happened there

frontier
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
She is always injured and is not as motivated as she was beginning of 2007.

LCS
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
But is she going to Berdych's tournaments? Come on Lucie, that stay-at-home-wife thing belongs in the past! Be a career woman and get that butt out on the courts!

Natash.
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Lucie is much better than cibulkova, I don't know what happened there

Well Domi is consistent and Lucie isn't. :shrug:

And when you return the way Safarova does, it won't be pretty. And Dominika's returns are good as well.

Hopefully Lucie can figure out what's wrong and come back stronger.

Corswandt
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Today she again showed that return is the biggest weakness in her game

Yup. She returns like a junior.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=12402982&postcount=1

"Vaidisova's main weakness is her return game. She has the worst return game in the top 20 - by far - possibly even in the top 30 now that Safarova is out of it."

But her biggest problem is the fact that she's so injury prone. She can't play a full schedule and thus is underranked because the ranking system favours relentless hogging, and to add to that she can't pick up any kind of momentum because she doesn't play often enough to get herself into form and find the range of her shots. Losing 1R half the time is damaging to both one's confidence and one's game - some players, like Vesnina, choose to enter big events almost exclusively, crash out 1R half the time but still manage to keep some kind of form, but those are exceptions.

Pasta-Na
Feb 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
no, the real lucie is playing for australia... go for the shots, casey :rolls: :p

Sally Todd
Feb 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Yup. She returns like a junior.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=12402982&postcount=1

"Vaidisova's main weakness is her return game. She has the worst return game in the top 20 - by far - possibly even in the top 30 now that Safarova is out of it."

What's perplexing about it is that when Lucie's game is working, her returns can be scary in a good way. She was cracking winners off of Henin's serve last year in Paris.

The first time I saw Lucie play was the Gold Coast final against Flavia, and based on that match, I thought she could return like Seles.:tape: Those were the days -- back then, I thought she was going to take the WTA by storm. Since then it's been nothing but injuries and close losses:sad:, with the semi-exceptions of Australia '07 and then Paris.

I don't know if Lucie is doing the wifey thing, but she does attend a lot of Tomas's matches when she's injured.

Anyway, I'm not surprised Lucie lost today, and she's going to have to stick it out until she gets some momentum. But it's discouraging to see her return of serve numbers worse than usual, and against the likes of Cibulkova. :confused: Do you think she and her coach know that's the weak point as obviously as some fans here do?

iPatty
Feb 18th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, she has a groin injury that she has carried around since Sydney.

Shvedbarilescu
Feb 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM
What's perplexing about it is that when Lucie's game is working, her returns can be scary in a good way. She was cracking winners off of Henin's serve last year in Paris.

The first time I saw Lucie play was the Gold Coast final against Flavia, and based on that match, I thought she could return like Seles.:tape: Those were the days -- back then, I thought she was going to take the WTA by storm. Since then it's been nothing but injuries and close losses:sad:, with the semi-exceptions of Australia '07 and then Paris.

I don't know if Lucie is doing the wifey thing, but she does attend a lot of Tomas's matches when she's injured.

Anyway, I'm not surprised Lucie lost today, and she's going to have to stick it out until she gets some momentum. But it's discouraging to see her return of serve numbers worse than usual, and against the likes of Cibulkova. :confused: Do you think she and her coach know that's the weak point as obviously as some fans here do?

I do think you are unrating Dominika. She is actually about the worst opponent a player like Safarova could have played if she was out of form. Dominika may not hit a lot of winners but she is good at keeping her opponents winners tally down too and making her opponent beat themselves. Obviously when an opponent is prone to that anyway, Dominika is sitting pretty.

Natash.
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I do think you are unrating Dominika. She is actually about the worst opponent a player like Safarova could have played if she was out of form. Dominika may not hit a lot of winners but she is good at keeping her opponents winners tally down too and making her opponent beat themselves. Obviously when an opponent is prone to that anyway, Dominika is sitting pretty.

Agreed.

There are many ways to win and it's not just by hitting a bunch of winners. :shrug: Lucie is very unpredictable. She had her best moments in the Aussie Open and Paris. Played great tennis against Jankovic in Wimbledon I believe.

Dominika's serve isn't bad at all. And with Lucie's usual return game, she wasn't going to break THAT often.

iPatty
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Exactly, she was out of form. A healthy Lucie would think Dominika is the perfect opponent for her. No weapons at all to hurt her with, weak serve, and predictable groundstrokes. If Lucie were healthy and match tough, I have no doubt in my mind she would have won this match by about the same score she lost it by today.

Derek.
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Exactly, she was out of form. A healthy Lucie would think Dominika is the perfect opponent for her. No weapons at all to hurt her with, weak serve, and predictable groundstrokes. If Lucie were healthy and match tough, I have no doubt in my mind she would have won this match by about the same score she lost it by today.

If Lucie was IN-FORM and HEALTHY, she'd win.

Lucie can be healthy and still suck balls.
She's not going to beat a consistent baseliner like Dominika unless she's on her game.

Domi's first serve isn't as weak as you'd like to think and neither are her groundstrokes. She consistently hits pretty deep and is great at angles. That usually is enough to beat an out of form ball-basher. Injured or not.

iPatty
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
If Lucie was IN-FORM and HEALTHY, she'd win.

Lucie can be healthy and still suck balls.
She's not going to beat a consistent baseliner like Dominika unless she's on her game.

Domi's first serve isn't as weak as you'd like to think and neither are her groundstrokes. She consistently hits pretty deep and is great at angles. That usually is enough to beat an out of form ball-basher. Injured or not.

I don't think Domi's serve and groundstrokes are as good as you think they are. Lucie wouldn't need to be in-form to beat Cibulkova, she isn't THAT good. :tape: Lucie playing at 60% or so should be able to apply enough pressure with her serve and groundstrokes to beat a player like Cibulkova who doesn't moonball but doesn't hit it hard.

As I said, Domi would be the ideal player for Lucie. She would be able to get into a groove and eventually come out on top. But also, as I said, she is still injured, which leads to a lack of match play, which leads to being out of form.

It wouldn't matter if she was in form, if she was match tough, she would find a way to win.

Derek.
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Lucie wouldn't need to be in-form to beat Cibulkova, she isn't THAT good. :tape:

And neither is Lucie. :lol:
Lucie's good when she has those days, otherwise she's an average top 30 player who goes for her shots.

It's not that much of a stretch for a player like Dominika to come out on top against her.

If Lucie's playing well, yeah she'll most likely win.

justcool
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:37 AM
come on baby!~~~~~~~~~~~

Sally Todd
Feb 19th, 2008, 04:40 AM

Just to clarify, I wasn't underrating Dominika. I'm kinda surprised people are so surprised by the result -- Cibulkova has been getting better since mid-07, while Lucie's results have been going downhill for quite a while.

More than that, Cibulkova can beat big hitters for just the reasons you've named. She's beaten Vaidisova too.

I just meant that Lucie's return of serve numbers were lousy considering serve is not the main asset or even necessarily one of the main assets of Cibulkova's game. Based on Lucie's return numbers you'd think she was playing Venus or Serena. But sometimes it seems like Lucie returns worse against average servers.