PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Jenifer Widjaja

Jakeev
Feb 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM
When Jenifer retired last year it was reported she would be attending college in the States. If she is studying here, I am not sure she is playing on any tennis team as I have not seen her name on any College websites that I have searched.

Anyone know what she is actually doing right now?

gouci
May 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
When Jenifer retired last year it was reported she would be attending college in the States. If she is studying here, I am not sure she is playing on any tennis team as I have not seen her name on any College websites that I have searched.

Anyone know what she is actually doing right now?

Jenifer Widjaja will be playing college tennis in the Big West Conference. She was a red-shirt freshman for the University of Pacific tigers. Here's some more info below from the Pacific website.

"Jenifer joined the Tigers prior to the spring semester. Widjaja who in October 2007 held her highest WTA ranking of 186 in the world, will not play in the Spring of 2008 as she will be fulfilling NCAA residency requirements... In her first year at Pacific Jenifer is studying business administration. "

If that WTA ranking of 186 is legit, then Jenifer should be a future contender for the NCAA singles championship. :lol:

What did Jenifer retire from last year?

Is Jenifer Widjaja related to former top junior Angelique Widjaja?

Can you provide some more background on Jenifer?

gouci
May 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
1. Katrina Zheltova 07-08 college ranking of # 32 goes to Sacramento State. Before her Margarita Karnaukhova, 05-06 pre-season college ranking of # 14.
2. Jenni Heinser, blue chip recruit, goes to San Francisco.
3. Randi Schuler, 06-07 pre-season college ranking of # 75 transfers to UC Davis.
4. Jenifer Widjaja, 07 WTA ranking of 186 goes to Pacific.

What's going on, is a new trend starting? In the past if a top recruit heads to Northern California they usually only end up either at Stanford, Cal or Fresno State.

Also...

1. Megan Falcon goes to LSU.
2. Jenna Long goes to North Carolina
3. Yasmin Schack goes to UCLA.
4. Elizabeth Plotkin goes to Duke.
5. Maria Sanchez goes to USC.
6. Denise Dy goes to Washington.
7. Aerial Ellis offers from UCLA & North Carolina.

Are Stanford and Cal missing out on too many top recruits from their own backyards? Fresno State on the other hand has 90% foreign players.

CooCooCachoo
May 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Jenifer Widjaja will be playing college tennis in the Big West Conference. She was a red-shirt freshman for the University of Pacific tigers. Here's some more info below from the Pacific website.

"Jenifer joined the Tigers prior to the spring semester. Widjaja who in October 2007 held her highest WTA ranking of 186 in the world, will not play in the Spring of 2008 as she will be fulfilling NCAA residency requirements... In her first year at Pacific Jenifer is studying business administration. "

If that WTA ranking of 186 is legit, then Jenifer should be a future contender for the NCAA singles championship. :lol:

What did Jenifer retire from last year?

Is Jenifer Widjaja related to former top junior Angelique Widjaja?

Can you provide some more background on Jenifer?

As far as I know, Jenifer did not retire from anything; she was not injured. Her results were just disappointing, her ranking was sliding and really, she was not likely to ever reach the Top 100. She was a pretty powerless shotmaker, in my opinion.

She is not related to Angelique, no.

gouci
May 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
As far as I know, Jenifer did not retire from anything; she was not injured. Her results were just disappointing, her ranking was sliding and really, she was not likely to ever reach the Top 100. She was a pretty powerless shotmaker, in my opinion.

She is not related to Angelique, no.CooCooCachoo did you know if Jenifer Widjaja played on the WTA as an amateur, not accepting prize money? How else would she qualify to play college tennis?

How long did it take you to get 60,000 posts? :worship:

The CooCoo in your name must reflect the insane number of posts? :lol:

Jakeev
May 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM

She is not related to Angelique, no.

Right, she I guess had a goal to be a top 100 player but it was farther than it looked in her eyes. Still, she did win some ITF titles, and her moment.

Who knows after college we still might see her again on tour someday.

rated_next
Jun 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM
She was actually doing pretty well in 2007 but like others have already said, her goal was top 100 and since she knew she'd never get there she decided to go back to school.