PDA

View Full Version : Serena Ready to Take the Title at Dubai Championships

*W*
Feb 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Serena Williams Ready to Take the Title at the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships

Dubai, UAE, February 12th, 2008: When anyone speaks of Serena, you know they mean Serena Williams.

The tennis superstar is one of that rare breed who are recognised throughout the world by their first name, and it is a distinction that has been well-earned. She has spent 57 weeks as the number one player in the world and amassed an impressive 28 singles titles, including eight Grand Slams.

But there is a gap in her portfolio. She has not yet won the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships. In her previous appearance in 2005 she reached the semi-finals, but then had to retire against Jelena Jankovic with an injury. Now she’s returning to Dubai to make a second attempt to claim that elusive title.

“I do remember I had a splendid time and the fun I had off the court going to the Gold Souk and Wild Wadi and just hanging out,” said Williams.

Since returning from a frustrating series of injuries Serena has climbed back towards the top of the tree, beginning 2007 ranked 94 before rising to five by years end. Victory at the 2007 Australian Open was followed by a title in Miami with victory in the final over world number one Justine Henin, quarter-finals at the French and US Opens and Wimbledon, and a final in Moscow.

It is to her enormous credit that Williams is a top contender for the title wherever she plays, because she is able to stay in top shape despite a myriad of off-court pursuits. She has her own fashion design company, Aneres, she is heavily in demand at various social and show business functions, and she has acted in many American TV shows including ER and Law and Order. She has lent her voice to The Simpsons, and an episode of the animated children's show ‘Loonatics Unleashed’, playing Queen Athena, who presides over an island colony of beautiful, powerful women with devious plans for the planet and its men.

"The character was described as being tall, strong, beautiful, so I guess that's how I got the role," Williams said. "I liked bringing my own character to the role. I've always thought of myself as a princess, but Athena is a queen. So I had to work it a little."

In addition to her fashion designing and acting roles, Serena has been recognised with numerous awards for her charity work, which includes donating money for school computers and setting up the Serena Williams Foundation to finance education for underprivileged kids.

Never short of confidence, Williams will nevertheless face strong competition from reigning Dubai, French and US Open champion Justine Henin, Australian Open winner Maria Sharapova, super Serbs Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, and 2007 US Open runner-up Svetlana Kuznetsova.

“Serena Williams is one of the biggest stars in the world of tennis, and her reputation has been well earned,” said Colm McLoughlin, managing director of tournament owners and organisers Dubai Duty Free. “We are delighted that she once again included Dubai in her busy schedule and wish her well.”

Play at the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships, which is held under the patronage of H.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, begins on February 25th 2008 with the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour tournament, and is followed by the ATP event from March 3rd to 8th.

http://www.dubaitennischampionships.com/3/news/2008/serena.asp

Serena'sboo
Feb 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I can't wait ,I have a feeling this is going to be the tournament that kicks her dominance off this year, this will be the tournament that will the start of dominance this year:devil::D:bounce: I cant wait now if tennis channel is showing the tournament???? I can't wait!!!

Renalicious
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I hope so. :D And I also hope she doesn't withdraw. :D

serenus_2k8
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Yeh as long as she plays, I really want her to do well. I think it will do her game good to play some of the top players in a tournament that isnt a slam, and should improve fitness too!

Lol at her Queen Athena quote. Shes so modest :hearts:

doni1212
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah!!! Come On Serena And Take The Title!!!!

Craigy
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Please play.

RDH
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm ready to see Serena on the court again!

Destiny
Feb 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
yessssssssssssssss
yesssssssssssss
hope she plays
yessssssss
She won't withdraw :)

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
doubt she will withdraw...cause i believe she just went for dental surgery and is ready now :)

RichyRena
Feb 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
doubt she will withdraw...cause i believe she just went for dental surgery and is ready now :)

Agreed :D cant wait to see her on court!

kadirelf
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
go rena go rena go renaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PatrickRyan
Feb 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Just please play! :)

2moretogo
Feb 14th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Please play!!

Brooks.
Feb 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM
pretty please!!

Stamp Paid
Feb 14th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Ch........

Lulu.
Feb 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
:woohoo:

serenus_2k8
Feb 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Omg I cant wait :haha:

frontier
Feb 14th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I hope she plays and not withdraw.

2moretogo
Feb 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Well her latest blog doesn't confirm that she's playing, so things aren't looking to good. But I really hope that she plays!!!!

Wtrain
Feb 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I really hope she plays, if she does well I have a feeling it will motivate her for the rest of the year.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 18th, 2008, 01:32 AM
it should motivate her...we will know this week if she has withdrawn

darrinbaker00
Feb 18th, 2008, 01:57 AM
it should motivate her...we will know this week if she has withdrawn
The sheikhs are giving Serena about 250,000 reasons not to withdraw, my friend. She'll play. ;)

supergrunt
Feb 18th, 2008, 05:46 AM
It's like a grand slam. :D

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Play Serena! Play!

Destiny
Feb 18th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Is Serena even trying to rank up doubles point?

Renalicious
Feb 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
When is the latest she can withdraw? Like, on the day before the actual thing begins?

Mina Vagante
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM
man the field is strong! :eek:

Play serena?

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Is Serena even trying to rank up doubles point?

what does that have to do with it :confused: