PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova to Shahar Peer, "You should have learned the lesson from yesterday "

selecta
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM
The heat of the moment
Sharapova may talk trash, but she's a dedicated jock

At the end of their Fed Cup match in Israel, Maria Sharapova said to Shahar Peer, "You should have learned the lesson from yesterday," referring to Peer cheering on the crowd to root for her. I think that after beating Peer one-and-one in front of Peer's home crowd (Peer's first time playing in Israel in an official international match), to say that to her during the handshake was very low-class. At that moment, Sharapova also made a "hush" sign to the crowd. She should know better than to put salt on the losers' wounds a minute after the match. A sore winner, I should say. Your thoughts?

This will be an unpopular answer, but this little flourish of trash talk -- even assuming Peer's account is accurate -- didn't bother me so much. The crowd was just killing Sharapova, imitating her grunting with each stroke and responding the Peer's gestures to get loud.

That's fine. (I was going to write "Perfectly kosher" but then thought better of it.) Fans are allowed to be partisans. But after getting heckled for an hour, Sharapova ought to be entitled to dish it back.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_wertheim/02/06/mailbag/index.html?section=si_latest

the cat
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Maria told Peer that in a rational tone and not a menacing tone to get her point accross to Sharar but not to humiliate her.

tenn_ace
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
this all has been discussed multiple times. in fact, the reporter who wrote this artice, may very well be on of the posters on this board.

tucker1989
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Good for Maria for having the guts to call Shahar out. Shahar was acting like a total fool.

ViennaCalling
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
:rolls: Bitchy :hearts:

cypher_88
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
:yawn:

MistyGrey
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Allez Maria! :hearts:

Demska
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Sexy ! :devil:

Vincey!
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Maria :hearts:

cellophane
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I honestly don't think Shahar laughing was a huge deal, so I'm not sure she deserved that, but of course to Maria it might not seem that way.

Wiggly
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Actually, Maria ignoring Shahar was the funniest part. :devil:

Direwolf
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
y cant u ask your countrymen to cheer for you?
:why:

danieln1
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Actually, Maria ignoring Shahar was the funniest part. :devil:

I thought that was funny too, I remember that Shahar laughed when that hostile crowed mocked Maria´s grunt, so Peer got what she deserved!

Juarito
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Bitch Maria! :fiery: Come on Shahar :devil:

Serenidad.
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I can't fault Sharapova because my fav, Serena would have said something too or worse.

supergrunt
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I personally think that's a lack of sportsmanship.

supergrunt
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
and how ballsy do you have to be to talk smack to Shahar Peer? do it to Serena... :haha:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I can't fault Sharapova because my fav, Serena would have said something too or worse.

:devil:

Drake1980
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
:eek::tape:

franny
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
and how ballsy do you have to be to talk smack to Shahar Peer? do it to Serena... :haha:

Why would she talk smack to Serena? Serena didn't do shady shit like Shahar did.

And how ironic that you call Maria's act unsportsman like when you praise and love the same woman who blatantly calls her opponents "bitches" on the court, even her own sister. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that, but it certainly is no different in terms of sportsmanlike conduct than Maria "talking smack."

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Such whining. Who cares. It's Fed Cup. The crowd is suppose to be raucous and out of control. Player's ought to talk a little trash. Big deal.

Emina.
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Peer deserved it :weirdo:

Keaka
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Such whining. Who cares. It's Fed Cup. The crowd is suppose to be raucous and out of control. Player's ought to talk a little trash. Big deal.

That was too out of control... applauding on a missed 1st serve of Chakvetadze :help:

woosey
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:04 PM
That was too out of control... applauding on a missed 1st serve of Chakvetadze :help:

you think that's "out of control?" you couldn't go to a college basketball game where fans have been known to repeatedly yell, in unison, "bullshit," "bullshit," "bullshit" when the refs give a call they don't like. :lol:

or what about when they are trying to shoot free throws and they are yelling stuff at the players and waving plastic sticks and banners at the players.

in 99% of sports, opposing fans applaud the failure of the opposing team. that's what they are supposed to do.

tennis people are such punks.

partbrit
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
She should have learned.

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
loving it :drool: keep it up maria

tenn_ace
Feb 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM
you think that's "out of control?" you couldn't go to a college basketball game where fans have been known to repeatedly yell, in unison, "bullshit," "bullshit," "bullshit" when the refs give a call they don't like. :lol:

or what about when they are trying to shoot free throws and they are yelling stuff at the players and waving plastic sticks and banners at the players.

in 99% of sports, opposing fans applaud the failure of the opposing team. that's what they are supposed to do.

tennis people are such punks.

what does basketball have to do with the discussion on a TENNIS board?:weirdo:

jordan1989
Feb 11th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Maria :lol: good on ya

<!Society!>
Feb 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
comedy, good on sharapova.

whos really that arsed, emotions always run high on the tennis court without the interaction of the crowd. Theres no set way to act, made up for her.

Alizé Molik
Feb 11th, 2008, 01:05 AM
someone needed to ring the alarm on peer, because her on court behaviour has been worse this year than I have ever seen it.

Arhivarius
Feb 11th, 2008, 01:14 AM
If there was something more justifieable than this smackdown, well, Maria had the right to do that.
Maria handled the situation beatuifullyy.
Live with it.

supergrunt
Feb 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM

Not really. She has not ever been combative or mean at the net....except for that one time :tape: .

woosey
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:29 AM
what does basketball have to do with the discussion on a TENNIS board?:weirdo:

analogy?

mankind
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:46 AM
analogy?

You shouldn't use such long words on this forum. :unsure:

Paneru
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM

And the reaction here towards Serena
dare I say would have been much different. ;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:09 AM
You shouldn't use such long words on this forum. :unsure:

:haha: i didn't want to use the same word and i've been struggling all day to come up with a synonym lol

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:10 AM
And the reaction here towards Serena
dare I say would have been much different. ;)

board crash anyone lol

azza
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:45 AM
i dont get the comment lol? what did sharah learn from day before?

wtatennisballer
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Shahar was in the Israeli Army, she could probably kick Maria's a$$ off of the tennis court. Peer's only shot at beating Maria would be on clay.

supergrunt
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Why would she talk smack to Serena? Serena didn't do shady shit like Shahar did.

And how ironic that you call Maria's act unsportsman like when you praise and love the same woman who blatantly calls her opponents "bitches" on the court, even her own sister. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that, but it certainly is no different in terms of sportsmanlike conduct than Maria "talking smack."

Please Justine probably didn't even notice :rolleyes:

tennisbear7
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
:haha: Maria!

Myggen
Feb 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Are people really surprised that Peer is behaving like that. She has repeatedly showed what kind of classless person she is.

tenn_ace
Feb 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM
analogy?

well, it was a bad one. try harder.

matanuriel
Feb 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Some of the comments here doesn't deserve to be answered.
Shahar didn't do anything wrong by laughing! She is a person, if she hears something funny she can joke about it, even Maria's teamate laughed with the crowd. So people stop with this stupid threads about this tie, we talked about everything that went there like 1000 times...

ronim1
Feb 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Good for Maria for having the guts to call Shahar out. Shahar was acting like a total fool.

I wouldn't call a player asking for the crowd to cheer her a "total fool"

y cant u ask your countrymen to cheer for you?
:why:

I fully agree

The heat of the moment
Sharapova may talk trash, but she's a dedicated jock

But after getting heckled for an hour, Sharapova ought to be entitled to dish it back.

I was there. The crowd grunting was for about 3 points, and the israeli Captain was orded to ask the crowd to stop it, which they did.
A part of whistling and asouting between the serves, whic was done by a minority of the crowd, there was nothing which isn't suited for a home crowd' trying to help a lesser talented player to help winnig.

By the way, as quoted by some reporters,the Russian Bench was smilling ( if not loughing ) while the crowd's grunting was going on. :)

Meteor Shower
Feb 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Its funny that some Sharapova fans used foul lang against Shahar, the Israeli fans here didn't say a word back but we are the animals and the immature.

Just saying.

ronim1
Feb 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Gesturing for the crowd to cheer is definitely not "trash talking"

It's FED CUP, not a Concert .

She should have learned.

Should have learned what? That Maria is a better player?
She knows.

someone needed to ring the alarm on peer, because her on court behaviour has been worse this year than I have ever seen it.

What did she do wrong? Asking the crowd to cheer?

If there was something more justifieable than this smackdown, well, Maria had the right to do that.
Maria handled the situation beatuifullyy.
Live with it.

I liked her gesture of silencing the crowd with her finger on her lips at the end of the match.
Her talking to Shahar on the court is "trash talking"
She sould have talked to her in the dressing room.

Jakeev
Feb 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Just out of curiosity, how were the "real" fans at Davis Cup last weekend?

meyerpl
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:04 AM
tennis people are such punks.:haha::haha::haha:Since you've made 4.81 posts per day on a tennis message board for the past year, I'd say you ought to know. Thanks for erasing any doubt.

Wiggly
Feb 12th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Shahar was in the Israeli Army, she could probably kick Maria's a$$ off of the tennis court. Peer's only shot at beating Maria would be on clay.

I'm sure she battled it hardcore in Lebannon! :rolleyes:

wtatennisballer
Feb 12th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I'm sure she battled it hardcore in Lebannon! :rolleyes:

Shahar could shoot use an AK47 with one arm. Maria would go to lift one and immediately drop to the ground with it.

Dan23
Feb 12th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Shahar could shoot use an AK47 with one arm. Maria would go to lift one and immediately drop to the ground with it.Well thats the main thing!

Maria could lift her big AO trophy with one hand though ;)

serenaforever
Feb 12th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I don't really think that it was called for. :tape:

It's not that big of a deal, though. :shrug:

Buitenzorg
Feb 12th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I like bitchiness ;)

ronim1
Feb 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Just out of curiosity, how were the "real" fans at Davis Cup last weekend?

Davis cup atmosphere was just great. The crowd was loud but "behaved".
Even Bjorkman said that the atmosphere was awsome, even though all of the crowd was against the Swedish team.

ronim1
Feb 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Shahar could shoot use an AK47 with one arm. Maria would go to lift one and immediately drop to the ground with it.

I'm sure that she really shot two or three rounds on the AK47 during her two years service.
But without a doubt she graduated in "pen lifting"

The Israeli Army eases with first class sportsmmen/women.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Sexy ! :devil:
Peers thoughts, exactly! :haha:

Coffee&TV
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Maria :devil: :kiss:

DA FOREHAND
Feb 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Luving it! Keep it up Maria. yuri the DICK Maria the Bitch! Sounds like a winning combo.